India steps in to help brides !

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=f41cf38c-7a1c-4b8b-acd5-3ddb5f7b063b

India steps in to help brides

Special units to weed out marriage fraud

Mike Roberts

CanWest News Service

Sunday, March 12, 2006

India has announced plans to set up an international network to crack down on fake marriages, and has vowed to aid harassed and abandoned brides at home and abroad.

Sending its strongest message to date on the issue of marital fraud involving non-resident Indians, India proposes to create "special cells" in Canada and other "locations that have a significant Indian population," said Vayalar Ravi, minister for overseas Indian affairs.

Wherever required, Ravi said, "the effort would be to get the guilty extradited to India."

This is the third initiative from India in response to Abandoned Brides, a Calgary Herald/Vancouver Province series on the tragic trend of brides in India being abandoned by Canadian men. The series ran over five days in October, and sparked an international outcry.

The units will help parents verify eligibility of prospective grooms, and ensure abandoned brides receive legal and medical aid in India or abroad.

"I would advise state governments to establish independent gender cells to deal with issues related to marriages to overseas Indians and to extend the required assistance. These cells can then act in a co-ordinated manner with the overseas centres," Ravi said.

Vancouver's Indian consul general, Ashok Kumar, welcomed the initiative.

"We are seeking details from Delhi," he said.

India's proposal preceded the establishment last week of the Canadian Marriage Fraud Victims Force Society, a B.C. Lower Mainland immigrant services and lobby group.

At the Grand Taj banquet hall in Surrey, B.C., earlier this month, more than 300 concerned citizens voiced their anger over the growing issue of marital fraud in the Indo-Canadian community.

"There's not only boys who leave girls behind, there are girls who leave boys behind and people who come here and disappear from the airport, or vanish after one week, three weeks," organizer Palwinder Gill said.

Gill, whose Indian wife came to Canada last June and subsequently fled, has formed a non-profit society to assist other victims of marital fraud. The Canadian Marriage Fraud Victims Force Society will petition Ottawa for a change to Canada's immigration law placing a "three-year condition" on spousal sponsorship.

"They would get landed status from the very beginning, but if they are going out of that relationship within three years, their landed status would be cancelled," said Gill. "There would be exceptions, if there is abuse or crime, but there must be solid evidence."

Last October, Sikh holy leaders in Amritsar urged Sikhs to stop offering dowries for their daughters in a bid to prevent dishonest non-resident Indians from seeking to defraud their Indian brides.

In January, New Delhi's Union Ministry for NRI Affairs launched an educational campaign listing precautions women should take when considering marriage proposals from abroad, as well as outlining their rights under Indian law.

© The Calgary Herald 2006

There is an increasing trend for Indian brides to play happy wives until they get their indefinite stay stamps. Then they start to behave badly and I know several local cases where they have run off so they can get their old boyfriends from Punjab over.

These are not isolated cases. What will they do about these brides ?

Stop Singh, I also have heard of similar cases.

In fact a similar case happened to a family I know personally. This guy went to India last year and got married. When his bride left India and came over, she told her husband that she is going out with a friend to a marriage party, and to everyone’s surprise she never came back. She ran away! Later on it turns out she married the guy only to come to Canada and planned to run away so she can sponsor her family to Canada.

Another case I know of is from a family I know. A female person from this family told me how her friend in India is getting married to an NRI. But, what the NRI doesn’t know is that his soon to be bride has made a plan with her boyfriend to marry an NRI, and once she comes to the west she will dump her NRI husband and go to India to marry her boy friend.

Another family I know is also a victim of such a bride. This guy went to India to get married. The girl he married was all happy. But as soon as she came to Canada, she ran away to her Chacha Jee's family. The husband tried his best to plead with her and convince her, but she did not listen. Currently this girl is doing nursing and will soon make alot of money in Canada as a nurse.

I have heard of many more such cases, but it will make this post very long if I write them all down. I'm sure others also have similar stories about people they know who are victims of such brides. What will Ramuwalia do with such brides? It’s not always the NRI’s fault.

People need to be careful. Our people are no longer true to their words as they once were.

Thanks for sharing those incidents singh47. This is a growing problem. It is ignored by Ramoowalia and the Indian press.

It is time such brides were just sent back to India. Their abuse of the Canadian immigration system should not be allowed. Same for any men who do this. Send them all back to India.

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE

Another family I know is also a victim of such a bride. This guy went to India to get married. The girl he married was all happy. But as soon as she came to Canada, she ran away to her Chacha Jee's family. The husband tried his best to plead with her and convince her, but she did not listen. Currently this girl is doing nursing and will soon make alot of money in Canada as a nurse.

I would like to update everyone on this shameful story of this shameless bride. After doing investigative work by asking around relatives and friends of this bride. Apparently, this bride had a boy friend in India. When the girl got a marriage proposal from a Canadian guy, she along with her Indian boyfriend made a plan together that she would marry the Canadian guy. Later as I have mentioned in my first post, as soon as she came to Canada she ran away from her husband.

To justify her running away, she began to lie to everyone that she was beaten up by her inlaws. But all of her relatives (which includes me!) knew the reality of her relationship with a guy in India. We all knew that it was also a lie because of the fact that her inlaws were known to be very nice and kind hearted people who are well off in Canada. She recently got married this Sunday at Maltan Gurdwara with her boy friend who came to Canada thanks to her.

Her parents are perfectly fine with her disgraceful behavior, which otherwise would bring shame to a family. But I guess things are changing very fast in India where Punjabi morality and ethics mean very little.

I encourage others here to also share their views on this issue. It is a very serious issue. If possible share any similar stories you have of fraud brides and grooms from India.

UPDATE

I would like to update everyone on this shameful story of this shameless bride. After doing investigative work by asking around relatives and friends of this bride. Apparently, this bride had a boy friend in India. When the girl got a marriage proposal from a Canadian guy, she along with her Indian boyfriend made a plan together that she would marry the Canadian guy. Later as I have mentioned in my first post, as soon as she came to Canada she ran away from her husband.

To justify her running away, she began to lie to everyone that she was beaten up by her inlaws. But all of her relatives (which includes me!) knew the reality of her relationship with a guy in India. We all knew that it was also a lie because of the fact that her inlaws were known to be very nice and kind hearted people who are well off in Canada. She recently got married this Sunday at Maltan Gurdwara with her boy friend who came to Canada thanks to her.

Her parents are perfectly fine with her disgraceful behavior, which otherwise would bring shame to a family. But I guess things are changing very fast in India where Punjabi morality and ethics mean very little.

I encourage others here to also share their views on this issue. It is a very serious issue. If possible share any similar stories you have of fraud brides and grooms from India.

interesting we had exactly the opposite thing happen when a guy from my village married a girl in canada only to leave her once he got there. He had a girlfriend who was already in Canada. Such a disgrace that people do not give 2 shits about the girl/guy who they are leaving.

Another local case in the UK. Girl comes from India, stays with her husband and has two kids. As soon as she gets the indefinite stay stamp in her passport she leaves her husband and shacks up with some illegal immigrant from Punjab. she takes her two kids so she can get a council house. The kids tell their father that mummy sleeps with uncle in the other bedroom.

It is time these brides were dealt with. They together with their families in Punjab should have 420 cases registered against them.

Another local case in the UK. Girl comes from India, stays with her husband and has two kids. As soon as she gets the indefinite stay stamp in her passport she leaves her husband and shacks up with some illegal immigrant from Punjab. she takes her two kids so she can get a council house. The kids tell their father that mummy sleeps with uncle in the other bedroom.

It is time these brides were dealt with. They together with their families in Punjab should have 420 cases registered against them.

My God! That just made me cringe.