Wing Tsun

amardeep

If you can't learn Shaster Vidiya, I'd recommend Brazilian jujitsu for ground fighting and Muay Thai + boxing for stand up. Krav Maga seems pretty good but not many teachers.

Personally, I feel that traditional MA have become too showy and rigid. You want to learn to disable an attacker as fast as possible, not waste time throwing spin kicks etc.

how many singhs on this forum have been taking fighting lessons in some martial art?

I will look to see if there is any brasilian jijutsu club here in scandinavia... i was thinking about one of the eastern budhist karate clubs as they also seem to put alot of effort on the spiritual aspect

The techniques for Shastar Vidiya in terms of Fencing (Sword Fighting) is totally different to that of Gatkha. You can say that Gatkha techniques are for "far reach combat" but in Shastar Vidiya your aim is to get so close to the person that you feel their breath (Varhar Panatra) and that's where you use the swords. Also common in SV is that you don't block a sword with your sword (blocking sword on sword is common in both western fencing and Gatkha) since that will make the sword blunt, you would either move out of the way or this disarm them (ShashNaag Panatra). For far reach combat in SV you would use Grur and Bhaag Panatra, which is similar to most Oriental Martial Arts. They are many more Panatray (footwork) which are used, I've also heard that theres an underwater Panatra. All the Panatray work for both armed and unarmed.

Does of you learning or want to learn Gatkha please dont feel discouraged.

Does anyone know anything about the practice of ''standing on stakes''? This is something in chinese martial arts, like tai chi, where the practitioner stands for long time with knees bent. They believe it builds up shakti. I read in a book that a relative beginner with a lot of standing on stakes practice is very hard to knock down, even for a more advanced opponent.

Does SV have anything similar, or do they they just rely on regular paath for increasing shakti?