Protein Supplements

SURYADEV

Any of you guys from the UK recommend good quality - though not expensive whey protein (isolate ion-exchanghed)brand. Also looking for creatine monohydrate.

I used to take EAS brand but with the recession, my russian share portfolio collapsed and the rains in panjab causing my rice crops to rot and by taya selling off my inheritaed land I now cannot afford to by the top quality stuff. Yet dont want to waste money buying the crappy, placebo-type stuff. Any recommendations??

The Reflex Nutrition stuff is good and if you shop around, the price is ok. This is their website: www.reflex-nutrition.com They also sell a very good creatine called crea-pure. Maximuscle is also good, and they sometimes have offers at Tesco, Asda etc.

If you're on a really tight student budget, then add some scoops of milk powder to milkshakes - 4 tablespoons of milk powder contain about 20 - 25g of protein. Non-branded nuts are also a good cheap source.

Affordablesupplements.co.uk used to have some very good deals, but I haven't checked recently.

Have a big dollop of ghee (keeoo) after training. My grandad swore by it....lol!

I often wonder what the basis of this dubious nutritional tip was????

Have a big dollop of ghee (keeoo) after training. My grandad swore by it....lol!

I often wonder what the basis of this dubious nutritional tip was????

Isn't that what all bazurgs prescribe, no matter what the situation? lol

I think keeoo is up there with alcohol as one of the major contributors to the ill-health of a lot of Punjabi people!

I think keeoo is up there with alcohol as one of the major contributors to the ill-health of a lot of Punjabi people!

Desi ghee has a very high status in Ayurveda and has many health benefits. Of course, anything in excess is bad and you need to do physical exercise as well.

The Reflex Nutrition stuff is good and if you shop around, the price is ok. This is their website: www.reflex-nutrition.com They also sell a very good creatine called crea-pure. Maximuscle is also good, and they sometimes have offers at Tesco, Asda etc.

If you're on a really tight student budget, then add some scoops of milk powder to milkshakes - 4 tablespoons of milk powder contain about 20 - 25g of protein. Non-branded nuts are also a good cheap source.

Affordablesupplements.co.uk used to have some very good deals, but I haven't checked recently.

Thanks for that Matheen . esp re: REFLEX products. After doing further research I have found that http://www.sports-nutrition.net/store.php is the same company that does the relex branded goods ,though without the costly marketing , packaging etc. Most importantly , a good deal cheaper!!!

Any of you guys from the UK recommend good quality - though not expensive whey protein (isolate ion-exchanghed)brand. Also looking for creatine monohydrate.

I used to take EAS brand but with the recession, my russian share portfolio collapsed and the rains in panjab causing my rice crops to rot and by taya selling off my inheritaed land I now cannot afford to by the top quality stuff. Yet dont want to waste money buying the crappy, placebo-type stuff. Any recommendations??

Be careful with Creatine. It can have side effects. If you eat meat then you should definitely take it easy, your kidneys will take a battering.

Drink a lot of water.

Also note with creatine, your gains will go after you stop it, so its better to try and get a good balanced diet.

A good idea is to go on a Natural Body building site. Find out who the champion is, and have a look at their diets. It worked for me. Here is an example:

http://www.wnbf.net/

When you go to gyms, ask the strong guys and big guys for tips.

Of course physical exercise is a must - we are definitely a more sedentary people now than our forefathers were.

Very true, when you look at the difference between the majority of 2nd generation+ Sikhs in the UK and what their parents and grandparents generally did for a living, it is usually a stark comparison. Those guys were/are much more physically active due to their work than most of us.

Just to change tack.

IS there much of a difference in the effiacy of cheaper supermarket branded supplements (I'm thinking VIT C and ZINC) and the stuff you get from GNC/Hollan and BArretts?

Not really, whey is whey, though some of the more expensive brands have a higher protein content and a few extra things thrown in (BCAAs, vits, etc).

Usually it's much cheaper to buy your BCAAs and whey separately. I get mine from www.myprotein.co.uk in bulk. bulkpowders.co.uk is also good.

K.

Just to change tack.

IS there much of a difference in the effiacy of cheaper supermarket branded supplements (I'm thinking VIT C and ZINC) and the stuff you get from GNC/Hollan and BArretts?

They are fine, but what I started doing for the last 10 years or so is make shakes etc from fruit and other things that are high in zinc and vit c. These are great to help ure body to recover from workouts. Great for the immune system.