Sign in to follow this  
kdsingh80

Khushwant Singh, Journalist And Writer, Dies At 99

He returned Padma Bhushan in protest against OBS.

Simranjit Singh Mann also resigned after the attack on Sri Harmandir Sahib. You seem to be a well read person so I believe you will easily agree that both shared some common sentiments to do so.

Totally wrong. I am not playing devil's advocate but why a government would kill its own citizen? if it was true why the government was not killing innocents before the punjab terrorism years? why state government is not killing NOW! what an idiotic assumption. you are allowing yourself to be swayed by those who have made an industry out of Punjab mothers' misery.

also, i am not saying that Punjab police never staged false encounters but to say that they killed each and every 'innocent' on both sides (kharkoos and the civilian victims) is a distortion of himalayan proportions. High time the radicals do some navel-gazing. You cannot wish away acts like 1978 raid on Nirankari convention, murders of Nirankari chief, Punjab Kesari owner-editors, turning harmandar sahib into a fortress where people were being killed, highly provocative speeches and on top of these all - running a parallel government from Harmandar sahib.

Forget what a vast majority of the renowned writers have written in their books exposing extremists among the sikhs, read the news reports from the days leading to OBS and the scenario becomes clear to you.

The government is not killing sikhs now is because they are killing sikh religion.(drugs,fake baba's/deras/media). Before sant ji came ppl were getting hooked on drugs and watching blue film and majority of sikhs started cutting their hairs. Sant ji restored the spirt of the khalsa in sikhs again and majority of ppl starting becoming khalsa. When majority of sikhs start becoming khalsa they will talk about their rights and freedom. Sikh militants were supported by majority of the sikh population that is a FACT up until 90's.

The government is not killing sikhs now is because they are killing sikh religion.(drugs,fake baba's/deras/media). Before sant ji came ppl were getting hooked on drugs and watching blue film and majority of sikhs started cutting their hairs. Sant ji restored the spirt of the khalsa in sikhs again and majority of ppl starting becoming khalsa. When majority of sikhs start becoming khalsa they will talk about their rights and freedom. Sikh militants were supported by majority of the sikh population that is a FACT up until 90's.

govt killing sikh religion - what a joke!

Punjab's a quasi Sikh state today. Akal Takht interferes even in monor disputes

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?225692

The article sums up the Punjab problem in a most precise and honest manner.

ok, lets have a look at the precisison and honesty:

1. Did the Sikhs deserve to be taught a lesson? I pondered over the matter for many days and many hours and reluctantly admitted that Hindus had some justification for their anger against Sikhs. The starting point was the emergence of Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale as a leader. He used vituperative language against the Hindus.

2. He exhorted every Sikh to kill 32 Hindus to solve the Hindu-Sikh problem. Anyone who opposed him was put on his hit list and some eliminated. His hoodlums murdered Lala Jagat Narain, founder of the Hind Samachar group of papers. They killed hawkers who sold their papers. The list of Bhindranwale's victims, which included both Hindus and Sikhs, was a long one. More depressing to me was that no one spoke out openly against him. He had a wily patron in Giani Zail Singh who had him released when he was charged as an accomplice in the murder of Jagat Narain. Akali leaders supported him.

3. Anti-Sikh violence gave a boost to the demand for a separate Sikh state and Khalistan-inspired terrorism in Punjab and abroad. Amongst the worst was the blowing up of Air India's Kanishka (June 23, 1985), which killed all its 329 passengers and crew, including over 30 Sikhs.

4. Sant Harchand Singh Longowal, who signed the Rajiv-Longowal accord (July 29, 1985), was murdered while praying in a gurudwara just three weeks later.

5. In August 1986, General A.S. Vaidya, who was chief of staff when Operation Bluestar took place, was gunned down in Pune in August 1985. The killings went on unabated for almost 10 years.

Lets see if they are honest and precise:

1. Did the Hindus not use vituperative language against the Sikhs starting from partition? Calling the Sikhs a criminal tribe, I mean what was that?

What about the slogans raised by Shers brothers, "send the sikhs and their 5ks to Pakistan? Or insults against the Sikh Guru's from Delhi's CM in the 60s?

Did anyone think of teaching them a lesson? Did the hindus deserve to be taught a lesson over this?

Not very precise or honest.

2. Bhindranwale made no call for Sikhs to kill 32 hindus. what he said was that after threats were made against minority Sikhs by Indira Gandhi in other indian states, and by hindu leaders in Haryana and Rajasthan, was that "don't try to intimidate us, there are only 36 Hindus to every Sikh". There was no call for Sikhs to go and kill any Hindu.

Not very precise or honest.Again.

3. The Air India bombing was the work of indian intelligence agency's. This is evident from the book Soft Target. The Sikhs had no capacity to pull off such an action by themselves.

4. Sant Harchand Singh Ji was not praying, he was there in a meeting, not to say that his murder wasn't an act of terrorism, it was, but to portray it as being killed whilst praying gives the reader a dimension to it, that simply wasn't there.

again, not precise or honest.

5. I'm sure that turd, I mean Sher, wrote that he had no problem with the killing of vaidya,(although it does make him a hypocrite, which most of us know already) by jinda and sukha, so this honest and precise statement must have escaped his eyes.

And that's only from skimming the article.

Which is why, like I said, a man who was in his position, wrote bilge about the Panjab problem, like he knew everything, and with the arrogance that he did.

Remind you of anyone?

Totally wrong. I am not playing devil's advocate but why a government would kill its own citizen?

You truly are a turd.

The govt was killing its own citizens in the early 1970, who supported the Naxalite movement. 3rd world and 3rd rate country's have all done this, esp india. you acting all innocent asking that question.

if it was true why the government was not killing innocents before the punjab terrorism years? why state government is not killing NOW!

the govt was killing its one people in the early 1970s. they were known as naxalites, and the govt was ordering their killing.

and why is the govt deciding who is guilty or innocent? surely that is the job of the judiciary.

NOW! what an idiotic assumption. you are allowing yourself to be swayed by those who have made an industry out of Punjab mothers' misery.

Your people who betrayed your mother Panjab, yet like a turd, you whinge to us about Panjab mother's misery? We didn't cause it, the agony of Panjabi mothers for 1000 years was caused by Panjabi hindus, don't you forget that!

also, i am not saying that Punjab police never staged false encounters but to say that they killed each and every 'innocent' on both sides (kharkoos and the civilian victims) is a distortion of himalayan proportions.

and why is the police deciding who is guilty or innocent? surely that is the job of the judiciary. well, in a democracy anyway.

govt killing sikh religion - what a joke!

if only it was. Only a turd with a tiranga wrapped around his eyes would miss it. But the sad fact it, it's not only the govt, the Hindus by and large are privy to it.

Excellent reply chatanga....also longowal was killed for signing the rajiv-longowal accordn with rajiv without the consent of the Sikh kaum. Sikh kaum felt betrayed thats why he was killed and it was not in gurdwara...lol

ok, lets have a look at the precisison and honesty:

1. Did the Sikhs deserve to be taught a lesson? I pondered over the matter for many days and many hours and reluctantly admitted that Hindus had some justification for their anger against Sikhs. The starting point was the emergence of Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale as a leader. He used vituperative language against the Hindus.

2. He exhorted every Sikh to kill 32 Hindus to solve the Hindu-Sikh problem. Anyone who opposed him was put on his hit list and some eliminated. His hoodlums murdered Lala Jagat Narain, founder of the Hind Samachar group of papers. They killed hawkers who sold their papers. The list of Bhindranwale's victims, which included both Hindus and Sikhs, was a long one. More depressing to me was that no one spoke out openly against him. He had a wily patron in Giani Zail Singh who had him released when he was charged as an accomplice in the murder of Jagat Narain. Akali leaders supported him.

3. Anti-Sikh violence gave a boost to the demand for a separate Sikh state and Khalistan-inspired terrorism in Punjab and abroad. Amongst the worst was the blowing up of Air India's Kanishka (June 23, 1985), which killed all its 329 passengers and crew, including over 30 Sikhs.

4. Sant Harchand Singh Longowal, who signed the Rajiv-Longowal accord (July 29, 1985), was murdered while praying in a gurudwara just three weeks later.

5. In August 1986, General A.S. Vaidya, who was chief of staff when Operation Bluestar took place, was gunned down in Pune in August 1985. The killings went on unabated for almost 10 years.

Lets see if they are honest and precise:

1. Did the Hindus not use vituperative language against the Sikhs starting from partition? Calling the Sikhs a criminal tribe, I mean what was that?

What about the slogans raised by Shers brothers, "send the sikhs and their 5ks to Pakistan? Or insults against the Sikh Guru's from Delhi's CM in the 60s?

Did anyone think of teaching them a lesson? Did the hindus deserve to be taught a lesson over this?

Not very precise or honest.

2. Bhindranwale made no call for Sikhs to kill 32 hindus. what he said was that after threats were made against minority Sikhs by Indira Gandhi in other indian states, and by hindu leaders in Haryana and Rajasthan, was that "don't try to intimidate us, there are only 36 Hindus to every Sikh". There was no call for Sikhs to go and kill any Hindu.

3. The Air India bombing was the work of indian intelligence agency's. This is evident from the book Soft Target. The Sikhs had no capacity to pull off such an action by themselves.

4. Sant Harchand Singh Ji was not praying, he was there in a meeting, not to say that his murder wasn't an act of terrorism, it was, but to portray it as being killed whilst praying gives the reader a dimension to it, that simply wasn't there.

again, not precise or honest.

5. I'm sure that turd, I mean Sher, wrote that he had no problem with the killing of vaidya,(although it does make him a hypocrite, which most of us know already) by jinda and sukha, so this honest and precise statement must have escaped his eyes.

And that's only from skimming the article.

Which is why, like I said, a man who was in his position, wrote bilge about the Panjab problem, like he knew everything, and with the arrogance that he did.

Remind you of anyone?

Typical dribble - no substance, hyperbolic claims, selective representation of facts, denial, distortion..jhooth, jhooth te hor jhooth.

"1. Did the Hindus not use vituperative language against the Sikhs starting from partition? Calling the Sikhs a criminal tribe, I mean what was that?"

Can you show me one evidence of a Hindu or even (fanatically) secular Indian leadership calling Sikhs a criminal tribe? This was a figment of Kapur Singh's imagination and no other bureaucrat or civilian has ever seen such 'unthinkable' directive.

Co-incidentally, Khushwant debunked this disgusting accusation made by a disgusting individual (Kapur Singh - the twisted ideologue who worked all his post-1947 life to divide the Punjabi community) in the following words:

A man whose role in the identity crisis has not been fully highlighted was Kapur Singh ICS. He had been dismissed from service on charges of corruption. He tried to portray himself as a martyr. In a pamphlet he published he alleged that Prime Minister Nehru through Governor Chandu Lal Trivedi had issued a directive in 1947 to all the Commissioners in Punjab to the effect that the Sikhs in general must be treated as a criminal tribe. Harsh treatment must be meted out to them to the extent of shooting them so that they wake up to political realities. He concluded: Mughal King Bahadur Shah ordered followers of Nanak to be executed on sight. I, being a declared Sikh, fell victim to this Mughal firman.

There was no truth whatsoever in Nehru ever having sent out such a directive, nor was Kapur Singh a victim of any firman. His case was scrutinised by his own colleagues in the service before he was dismissed. Nevertheless, he won the favour of Akali leader Master Tara Singh who helped him win an election to the Punjab legislature and then to the Lok Sabha. Kapur Singh was the brain behind the drafting of the Anandpur Sahib resolution demanding a dominant role for the Sikhs"

Excerpt from Khushwant Singh's article in the Tribune

Hindu-Sikh relations I

Independence changed equations

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20031103/edit.htm#5

The article also talks about the regular abuse of Hindus by Sikh leaders. Show me ONE evidence where Sikhs were abused the way Hindus were/are from public forum?

Can you show me one evidence where Indira or any other Indian leader (non-Sikh) made such threat?

There are videos (!!!) of JSB speeches where he is openly threatening to kill 5000 Hindus in just one hour. As Mods would not allow me to write anything about JSB, i better leave it there. 100s of books, newspaper articles, research papers have mentioned what I would like to say about him.Get your head out of the sand and do some introspection.

This is the worst denial chatanga and Fanatics Co can make. Thousands of pages of court proceedings, dozens of books, newspaper articles, videos and conviction of Inderjit Singh Rayat point towards the involvement of Babbar Khalsa terrorists like Talwinder Parmar in this heinous crime against humanity. Anyone denying that khali terrorists were not involved in this conspiracy (and many other murders in the western countries) is a dispicable, less than human character.

SHS Longowal was killed INSIDE a Gurudwara and more importantly, in the PRESENCE OF GRANTH SAHIB.

Missing the woods for trees. bigot picking on small points while ignoring the major issues.

if only it was. Only a turd with a tiranga wrapped around his eyes would miss it. But the sad fact it, it's not only the govt, the Hindus by and large are privy to it.

I blame thousands of terror victims to Khali and other like minded Sikh terrorists not the WHOLE community. I cannot even think of blaming the Sikh community as the majority of terror victims were sikhs themselves. I also refused, as a Hindu, to carry any guilt for the deeds of congress mobs or repressive government. chatanga is making dangerous, sweeping statements by blaming "hindus by and large' for the Punjab problem.

1. My buddha has met Khushwant several times. He was a clown.

2. You cant blame the Hindus of Punjab as a whole for any statement made by individuals. Similarly, you cannot blame the Sikh Panth as a whole for the actions of a few individuals who gave Siropa to Dyer.

3. You sheeps should stop talking as if your willing and able to do anything other than talking. All you are good for is talking online. Only time will tell who is the true soorma bahadur sher anakhi balwaan. And I can pretty much guarantee it isnt any one of you losers talking here. Everyone here cites Tigers to bolster their individual personal identity as if they themselves have the awareness or BAL to ACT.

JEHREE KOM DAY KHOON CHON GAYEE GHAYRAT, OHO AJJ VEE NAHEE TAY KAL VE NAHIN.

Tay sangato, maray bura MANYO! im not going to say bura NA MANYO, because i want you to BURA MAN.... BURA MANYO, tusee taaan AAJ VE NAHEE, KAL KEE HOWGAY!?

If anyone here is a SINGH, not only by claim (as are all the losers in UK, Canada, USA, India etc), then send me a personal msg and we will meet up and well have a talk. Otherwise, keep spewing knowledge and preserve your brahmin position of society. For, a brahmin gives knowledge and a kshatriya acts upon it. And you are all brahmins, and I am being very generous here. None of your families or you as individuals are kshatriyas. You are all probably some loser outcaste unpopular sikhs who are bullied on a regular basis at school. You piss me off because your sheep losers. If you have any dum or khoon or dood from your mother, then stop being shudras and wake up and realize your duty. If your in Toronto then contact me.

Disgusting words for a great man. It has been less than 24-hours since his death and khalibans showing their colors.

RIP One of the greatest sons of Punjab

Shut UP you Hindu fascist RSS chela.

Admin - Why we allowing this fanatic on Sikh forum .

Long Live Sikh Nation !

Edited by amar_jkp

I think you should read a book he did with the renown Punjab human rights activist Kuldip Nayar called 'Tragedy of Punjab' and see if you still hold the above opinion afterwards.

I am trying to find this book but its not available , can you help ?

Totally wrong. I am not playing devil's advocate but why a government would kill its own citizen? if it was true why the government was not killing innocents before the punjab terrorism years? why state government is not killing NOW! what an idiotic assumption. you are allowing yourself to be swayed by those who have made an industry out of Punjab mothers' misery.

also, i am not saying that Punjab police never staged false encounters but to say that they killed each and every 'innocent' on both sides (kharkoos and the civilian victims) is a distortion of himalayan proportions. High time the radicals do some navel-gazing. You cannot wish away acts like 1978 raid on Nirankari convention, murders of Nirankari chief, Punjab Kesari owner-editors, turning harmandar sahib into a fortress where people were being killed, highly provocative speeches and on top of these all - running a parallel government from Harmandar sahib.

Forget what a vast majority of the renowned writers have written in their books exposing extremists among the sikhs, read the news reports from the days leading to OBS and the scenario becomes clear to you.

I have seen many Hindus like who first talk that they agree what happened to Sikhs was wrong but slowly slowly they show thier true colour like you have done

Nirankaris - Read They Massacre Sikhs - A Report by Sikh Parliament SGPC http://www.scribd.com/doc/106626671/They-Massacre-Sikhs-A-Report-by-Sikh-Parliament-SGPC and SHUT UP

Lala Jagat Narain - He was Guru Nindak -

Lala Jagat Narain the Owner and Chief Editor of Hindu Samachar Newspaper group, was hell-bent on a mission in 1980 to tarnish the reputation of Sikhs and destroy their desire for autonomous freedom. He would consistently slander Sikh leaders and their philosophy of developing a separate identity from Hinduism. Even in the 1978 Amritsar massacre, Lala was present as a witness and gave statements against the peaceful Sikh protesters of which 13 were made shaheed.

All barriers were crossed when he published a picture of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj next to Mahatma Gandhi's and attempted to compare them as men. He went on further to make remarks suggesting Gandhi was superior as he never lifted a sword to seek justice.

Sant Ji had warned Jagat Narain openly many times prior to this incident that his writings were a direct attack on Sikhi and that if he did not heed the warning then perhaps one day a Lion would answer his challenge. His latest slur on our Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj had lit a fire of vengeance inside Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindranwale.

I have seen many Hindus like who first talk that they agree what happened to Sikhs was wrong but slowly slowly they show thier true colour like you have done

Nirankaris - Read They Massacre Sikhs - A Report by Sikh Parliament SGPC http://www.scribd.com/doc/106626671/They-Massacre-Sikhs-A-Report-by-Sikh-Parliament-SGPC and SHUT UP

SGPC white lies have been exposed by many scholars but I would quote from KPS Gill's book

The SGPC version is interesting, both in terms of what it attempts to conceal as of the mind-set it exposes. Given their own evaluation of the background, violence could easily have been predicted. The ‘Government’ they refer to when they speak of the encouragement given to the Nirankaris is the succession of Congress governments that had ruled at the Centre. However, this ‘villain for all occasions’ was, in April 1978, out of power both in Punjab and in Delhi. The state, at that time, was under the command of the Akali Dal-Janata Party coalition; and the Centre was ruled by the Janata Party, with the Akali Dal both supporting and participating in the Government. The ‘place, date and time’ of the Nirankari Convention, ‘chosen by the Nrinkaris in connivance with the Congress’, were sanctioned by the Akali Dal Government in Punjab, with full knowledge of the history of conflict that the SGPC document outlines. The role of both the Damdami Taksal and the Akhand Kirtani Jatha in this conflict was also known to the Akali Government. Yet no attempt was made to prevent, shift, or change the schedule of, the Nirankari Convention.

This is not all. Shortly before the ‘totally unarmed’ protesters set out for the venue of the Nirankari Convention, they had assembled in the Golden Temple, where the then Akali Dal Revenue Minister, Jeevan Singh Umranangal tried, unsuccessfully, to explain away the Government’s decision to allow the Nirankari Convention to take place. Bhindranwale interrupted the proceedings, shouting "We will not allow this Nirankari convention to take place. We are going to march there and cut them to pieces!"7 No precautionary measures were taken in response.

A procession of a few hundred agitated Sikhs, led by Bhindranwale and by Fauja Singh of the Akhand Kirtani Jatha, then left the Golden Temple and set out for the Nirankari Convention. On the way, in what was perhaps the first act of gratuitous violence by the future terrorists of ‘Khalistan’, they hacked off the arm of a Hindu sweetmeats seller. On arriving at the convention, they rushed the stage on which the chief of the Nirankaris was seated; Fauja Singh drew his sword and tried to behead the Nirankari leader; he was shot by a bodyguard. In the skirmish that followed, two of Bhindranwale’s followers, another eleven of the Akhand Kirtani Jatha, and three Nirankaris were killed [bhindranwale himself is said to have fled the scene just as the violence broke out, and this was a sore point between him and the Akhand Kirtani Jatha. Fauja Singh’s widow often described Bhindranwale as a ‘coward’ for running away on this occasion, and blamed him for her husband’s death]. Throughout the march, the vandalism and violenceen route, and the clash at the Nirankari Convention, the state’s forces made no attempt to intervene. Instructions for such a response, or lack of it, could only have originated from the highest echelons of the then [Akali] Government. This assumption is reinforced by the fact that no action was even contemplated against any official for this obvious and grave breakdown of law and order.

Over the next six years, until his death on June 6, 1984, Bhindranwale propagated and practised a creed of unadulterated hate. Under the guise of Amrit Prachar, the propagation of the tenets of the Sikh Faith, he mixed a fundamentalist canon with rabid incitement to violence. Khushwant Singh has captured the essence of his ‘revelations’ well.

He was not bothered with the subtle points of theology; he had his list of do’s and don’ts clearly set out in bold letters. He took those passages from the sacred texts which suited his purpose and ignored or glossed over others that did not. He well understood that hate was a stronger passion than love: his list of hates was even more clearly and boldly spelt out.8

Amar ji nice post but this Billi is going to stay " that's bs khali propaganda blah blah blah Sikh terrorists kill hindus"

See he's not here for a decent dialogue. I have had dialogues with Hindus and Muslims with opposing views. Once you explain to them our side of the story, they will have an open mind to finally understand your position even if they are not 100% in agreement. But this guy Sher is not one of those individuals. You refute his lies, he again repeats those lies.

All I know is: The politics of the 80s can never repeat themselves. It cost us a lot as Sikhs.

I feel sad that we haven't delineated a new course for ourselves in the 21st century.

The global game is changing rapidly, and we haven't collectively addressed this - let alone tried to prepare to take advantage of it.

See he's not here for a decent dialogue. I have had dialogues with Hindus and Muslims with opposing views. Once you explain to them our side of the story, they will have an open mind to finally understand your position even if they are not 100% in agreement. But this guy Sher is not one of those individuals. You refute his lies, he again repeats those lies.

yea johnny singh ji i know what you mean I've seen the older posts between you and billi...

You are dishonest to the core as you refuse to even acknowledge (forget accept) what are the historical facts.

AKJ-Nirankari 'clash' in 1978 is one of such historical facts. All historians except Tat Khalsa denialists refuse to admit what KPS has recorded with precise details. 15 AKJ followers died ...how about three Nirankaris? which history book mentions their murders by AKJs/Taksalis armed with traditional weapons? How people can deny that the clash took place at the venue of the Nirankari Convention which was allowed by Akali government?

The fiery speeches against the "Narakdharis" by .......in Harmandar sahib and the resultant violent mob's march to the nearby convention venue has been recorded by many authors inc Mark Tully.

which part of this violent incident you are denying?

Amar ji nice post but this Billi is going to stay " that's bs khali propaganda blah blah blah Sikh terrorists kill hindus"

I wonder what the 'Cat in the Hat' thinks about saffron terror. The humorous element is that when those two terms are joined to produce a new adjective, an entire verbal rampage commences which aims to deny the existence or even the possibility of such an attribute. Yet when any other form of terror comes up, our denying sycophants are at pains to evidence that a certain community supports the latter.

I wonder what the 'Cat in the Hat' thinks about saffron terror. The humorous element is that when those two terms are joined to produce a new adjective, an entire verbal rampage commences which aims to deny the existence or even the possibility of such an attribute. Yet when any other form of terror comes up, our denying sycophants are at pains to evidence that a certain community supports the latter.

I dont know at whom this jibe is pointed but speaking for myself, i condemn terror of any hue inc Saffron or in plain blunt words terrorism by Hindus.

Seems to be in a very quite voice.

Haha! feeling embarrassed over your inadequacies and bigotry? can you condemn YOUR terrorists now?

Haha! feeling embarrassed over your inadequacies and bigotry? can you condemn YOUR terrorists now?

No just exposing a hypocrite on this forum. If you want to play guess who, I am sure the mirror will provide a satisfactory answer for you.

Edited by Amarjeet Singh_1737