Hello. I’m 18 now. I have been doing meditation for two weeks now, after watching Sandeep Maheshwari’s basic meditation video on YouTube. When I meditate, I listen to the high frequency type sound ringing in my ears, along with another sound that I can’t really describe. To relate to the best, it’s like the sound of rain. 

I follow Radha Soami Satsang Beas. Naam Daan is given to sangat older than 25 yrs of age. I was just wondering, should I continue doing meditation without naam daan? I’ve built an interest in spirituality in a short period of time and I’m confused now. Pls someone guide me. 

8 hours ago, ragnarok said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Sikhi doesn't have a physical 'naam daan' . Naam is achieved by destruction of ego via prema bhagti.

Sikhi does have physical Naam daan. 

There are two ways to acquire it.

• It is given by Panj Pyarey, when one becomes Baptized. It is implanted in the body in the form of a seed (beej roop). Then, it depends on the Sikh to do prema bhagti and convert that seed (along with the existing Amrit*) into a tree. The fruit of the tree is Brahamgyan (metaphorically speaking). Very subtle ego stays within the first six stages of Brahamgyan. At the 7th stage of Brahamgyan, the complete annihilation of ego takes place.
  • Secondly, it can be given in the form of Gurparsaad by Gurmukh Brahamgyanis to suitable candidate(s), which happens very very rarely. Like for example, Baba Mahaharnam Singh jee Buchonwale gave it to Baba Nand Singh jee Kaleranwale.

* - Naam/Amrit is also present within all human bodies.

Bhul chuk maaf

29 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Sikhi does have physical Naam daan. There are two ways to acquire it.

• It is given by Panj Pyarey, when one becomes Baptized. It is implanted in the body in the form of a seed (beej roop). Then, it depends on the Sikh to do prema bhagti and convert that seed into a tree. The fruit of the tree is Brahamgyan (metaphorically speaking). Very subtle ego stays within the first six stages of Brahamgyan. At the 7th stage of Brahamgyan, the complete annihilation of ego takes place.
  • Secondly, it can be given in the form of Gurparsaad by Gurmukh Brahamgyanis to suitable candidate(s), which happens very very rarely. Like for example, Baba Mahaharnam Singh jee Buchonwale gave it to Baba Nand Singh jee Kaleranwale.

Bhul chuk maaf

Veer Ji i was wondering if you know anything about Naam Drir cos its done in AKJ as a friend of my mama ji was talking about as only it is given in AKJ when taking Amrit by 5 pyara.

23 hours ago, das said:

Yes please continue doing meditation with whatsoever technique you're following. Do you see any harm in continuing meditation (exactly the same way you're doing)?

Your efforts (meditation-without-guru or say without-naam-dhan or initiation, or baptism, or whatever name you prefer) will help you in the following way:

- To keep away from bad karma/deeds.
- To clean your mind. You can pour milk in a bowl only if the bowl is clean. So, do meditate, it will help you in direct/indirect way.

Basically clean yourself internally. And the best thing is to do physical seva in Mandir/Gurdwara or in general of any needy, that would help to clean your older bad karma along with check to your ego. And continue meditation along with that. In other words, seva of humanity and meditation is a good recipe.

Don't indulge in this-method-vs-that-method or mine-vs-there. That is the game of illusion. e.g if you're dying with thirst and someone offered you water; you don't ask if the person is from this creed or that creed. Meditation is the act of Selfless Love which is possible only with Faith.

May be search for "Ishwar Puri" in youtube and that might help you on your path.

A very good answer given by das jee.

Hats off.

1 hour ago, harsharan000 said:

o you see, what you refer as Naam daan, I would say, is a technique, a jugtee, to make pargat that Nam within us, which already exists, but of which due to the filth of our karmas, vices, man, maya, sanskaras, senses, we are unable to perceive that reality of Nam.

Quite simply, yes. It is shabad di daat. You just made me realise something.

On 12/15/2017 at 3:02 PM, das said:

Yes please continue doing meditation with whatsoever technique you're following. Do you see any harm in continuing meditation (exactly the same way you're doing)?

Your efforts (meditation-without-guru or say without-naam-dhan or initiation, or baptism, or whatever name you prefer) will help you in the following way:

- To clean your mind. You can pour milk in a bowl only if the bowl is clean. So, do meditate, it will help you in direct/indirect way.

Basically clean yourself internally. And the best thing is to do physical seva in Mandir/Gurdwara or in general of any needy, that would help to clean your older bad karma along with check to your ego. And continue meditation along with that. In other words, seva of humanity and meditation is a good recipe.

Don't indulge in this-method-vs-that-method or mine-vs-there. That is the game of illusion. e.g if you're dying with thirst and someone offered you water; you don't ask if the person is from this creed or that creed. Meditation is the act of Selfless Love which is possible only with Faith.

May be search for "Ishwar Puri" in youtube and that might help you on your path.

Yes Das, that is the most correct and direct answer to whether one should meditate as per some formality or not. 

My answer was approached from a different angle and I kinda misunderstood; assuming Shivam ji was asking to mix meditation paths. Sorry  Shivam ji, if  i confused you further!.   

@Shivam Kumar

If a voice inside you is telling you to jap and meditate, then you should follow your heart and listen to this voice. Never mind, the red tape of naam daan age or questioning the radhasoami upbringing you may be accustomed to. If it's part of your family and a physical access to something sacred, then you should keep it that way. Waiting until 25 yrs age, doesn't mean you can't be walking the path of God.   Like Harsharan ji stated, "Naam daan is a ceremonial technique introduction"  You will still be able to earn the "treasure of naam" (kamayee) every time you meditate.   

If you are hearing the ringing like sound and something you describe like rain, then I know you are going the right way and God is accepting all your efforts.If you continue, ther will be more to come and just by prem alone, you can be blessed with the Lord's darshan.

23 hours ago, Soulfinder said:

Veer Ji i was wondering if you know anything about Naam Drir cos its done in AKJ as a friend of my mama ji was talking about as only it is given in AKJ when taking Amrit by 5 pyara.

Daas has no idea on how they do Naam Drir. It would be great if someone can provide details on it.

Bhul chuk maaf

15 hours ago, harsharan000 said:

Brother Shivam,

Naam, is within each and every jeeva, irrespective of any dharam,caste, color, creed, age, or gender, or be it a mahapurukh, or a theif, dacoit or a non believer, it is within each and everyone of us. Nam is the highest level of consciousness, with countless virtues, can be summarized in as we all know: Sach/Truth-  Chit/Pure Consciousness - Anand/Bliss

it is not that it is only within sikhs, or hindus,  and not in muslims, christians, buddhists, ...etc, for Nam is the Origin, the Creator of everything.

Guru Jee, in the begining of the Mool Mantar clearly says: Ik Oankar,  Sat-Nam.  He says: there is only One Lord Creator, which is Nam, and that Nam is sat/sach, which means, it is the only eternal  everlasting Truth. That is why Guru Jee called it Sat-Nam.

Moreover the Bani referring to that Nam, tells us : Aad Sach, jugaad Sach, hae bhee Sach, Nanak hosee bhee sach.

This Nam, is also referred in the Bani as: Shabad, Sachee Bani, Dhur kee Bani, Amrit, Amrit Bani, Anahad Bani....etc. 

The thing is many of us, take Nam literally as a mantar, a word or something utter able, be it in any language. 

But let us ask ourselves, if Nam was a word, a phrase, or a couplet of words, that would not be possible, cause how can a word or a handful of words create the infinite creation? 

Moreover, in what language?

For when He exists alone by Himself, since the very beginning, who was there to address Him, or call Him? With which mouth, or in which language?

He, can be described as an Infinite Ocean of Light and Shabad or Dhun. So if in manner, if the sun has no caste or creed, what caste or creed can a mamulee jeeva atma, a ray of that Light, have?  If an ocean has no caste or careed, what caste or creed can  a mamulee drop of that ocean have? it is by braham we say we are tis or that one is so, or so.  And due to that braham, fools blinded by the agyanta, and under hatred, ahankar and ego, fight and kill in the name of dharam/religion.

That also, when in the Bani, referring to that primal force as  Jot/Light, clearly says : Sabh meh Jot, Jot hae soee.  That Nam is Jot, and that very jot is within every being as a ray of that Jot.

There can be many words, in many languages, to describe that One Truth, but all aim to that ultimate reality. Christians call it Word or Logos, muslims call it Kun, chinese call it Tao, etc

Now, what you call Naam Daan,  it is not that, Naam is given to anybody, because as said before, Nam is within everybody already, without it we can not even exist for a second. When He infuses that ray of Nam within anybody, that being becomes conscious being/living being, be it in any joonee. And when He withdraws, that ray of Nam, we cease to exist, and parlays, and mahaparlays take place, and creation at all levels also comes to an end, until once again, He, Wahiguru Akal Purukh, out of His mauj, want to create again.

So you see, what you refer as Naam daan, I would say, is a technique, a jugtee, to make pargat that Nam within us, which already exists, but of which due to the filth of our karmas, vices, man, maya, sanskaras, senses, we are unable to perceive that reality of Nam.

So brother, if the path of Radha Soami Satsang Beas, tells you to wait until you are 25, then try to read more literature, read the Bani, in order to understand and convince yourself, what is right for you, do not rush into anything.

The path is already within also,  and if you are to tread that path, or any other, do not worry, nobody can ever push you away, nor pull you along, for your destiny is only yours, it is a matter of time only.

For the mean time, as brother das has written in his post, keep an eye on your karam, in order to stay clean, and do seva as he has suggested also.

Stay blessed.

Sat Sree Akal.

Very beautifully explained paji.. perfect. Thanks 🙏🏻 

3 hours ago, paapiman said:

Daas has no idea on how they do Naam Drir. It would be great if someone can provide details on it.

Bhul chuk maaf

Veer Ji here i found a video on youtube explaining it by Bhai Surjit Singh Akj. There are quite of a threads on the subject on gurmatbibek.com

Here is a thread i found on Naam Drir and as i never heard Taksalis, Budha Dal, Nihang Dals, Nanaksar ever mention it in their amrit sanchars. I have found it mentioned in Akj as they believe if a person is already amritdhari they still have to go to akj panj pyara to get naam drir like taking amrit again.

I personally don't want to offend anyone in Akj but i would like to hear your views veer and the sangat on this.

Read this thread and watch this video. 

http://gurmatbibek.com/forum/read.php?3,12197

On 16/12/2017 at 4:32 AM, das said:

On 16/12/2017 at 4:32 AM, das said:

Thank you sir for giving such an informative explanation. I don’t find any harm doing meditation. I try to meditate daily for about half an hour. And when I’m not meditating, even then I can hear that sound. It helps me to remain calm and focus on my studies. I will continue the practice. Thanks for your advice veer ji 🙏🏼

On 17/12/2017 at 6:30 AM, Lucky said:

Yes Das, that is the most correct and direct answer to whether one should meditate as per some formality or not. 

My answer was approached from a different angle and I kinda misunderstood; assuming Shivam ji was asking to mix meditation paths. Sorry  Shivam ji, if  i confused you further!.   

@Shivam Kumar

If a voice inside you is telling you to jap and meditate, then you should follow your heart and listen to this voice. Never mind, the red tape of naam daan age or questioning the radhasoami upbringing you may be accustomed to. If it's part of your family and a physical access to something sacred, then you should keep it that way. Waiting until 25 yrs age, doesn't mean you can't be walking the path of God.   Like Harsharan ji stated, "Naam daan is a ceremonial technique introduction"  You will still be able to earn the "treasure of naam" (kamayee) every time you meditate.   

If you are hearing the ringing like sound and something you describe like rain, then I know you are going the right way and God is accepting all your efforts.If you continue, ther will be more to come and just by prem alone, you can be blessed with the Lord's darshan.

Yes Lucky Ji I understood the message at first. Though naam daan is not related to anything physical. The Guru teaches us the right technique to do meditation, along with some 5 holy words that we have to recite in our mind while meditating. It’s called Surat Shabad Yoga. I exactly don’t know how it is performed. So I’m doing meditation with a simple technique at the starting. I use earplugs, and listen to the sound that is coming from the right side of my head. I just do it for half an hour daily. I’ll continue doing meditation in the future. I just needed to clear some doubts. Thanks for guiding me Veeri ji 🙏🏼

On 17/12/2017 at 4:39 AM, harsharan000 said:

Brother Shivam,

Naam, is within each and every jeeva, irrespective of any dharam,caste, color, creed, age, or gender, or be it a mahapurukh, or a theif, dacoit or a non believer, it is within each and everyone of us. Nam is the highest level of consciousness, with countless virtues, can be summarized in as we all know: Sach/Truth-  Chit/Pure Consciousness - Anand/Bliss

it is not that it is only within sikhs, or hindus,  and not in muslims, christians, buddhists, ...etc, for Nam is the Origin, the Creator of everything.

Guru Jee, in the beginning of the Mool Mantar clearly says: Ik Oankar,  Sat-Nam.  He says: there is only One Lord Creator, which is Nam, and that Nam is sat/sach, which means, it is the only eternal  everlasting Truth. That is why Guru Jee called it Sat-Nam.

Moreover the Bani referring to that Nam, tells us : Aad Sach, jugaad Sach, hae bhee Sach, Nanak hosee bhee sach.

This Nam, is also referred in the Bani as: Shabad, Sachee Bani, Dhur kee Bani, Amrit, Amrit Bani, Anahad Bani....etc. 

The thing is many of us, take Nam literally as a mantar, a word or something utter able, be it in any language. 

But let us ask ourselves, if Nam was a word, a phrase, or a couplet of words, that would not be possible, because how can a word or a handful of words create the infinite creation? 

Moreover, in what language?

For when He exists alone by Himself, since the very beginning, who was there to address Him, or call Him? With which mouth, or in which language?

He, can be described as an Infinite Ocean of Light and Shabad or Dhun. So if in a manner, if the sun has no caste or creed, what caste or creed can a mamulee jeeva atma, a ray of that Light, have?  If an ocean has no caste or creed, what caste or creed can  a mamulee drop of that ocean have? it is by braham, we say we are this, or that one is so, or so.  And due to that braham, fools blinded by the agyanta, and under hatred, ahankar, and ego, fight and kill in the name of dharam/religion.

That also, when in the Bani, referring to that primal force as  Jot/Light, Guru Jee clearly says : Sabh meh Jot, Jot hae soee. 

That Nam is Jot, and that very Jot is within every being, as a ray of that Jot.

There can be many words, in many languages, to describe that One Truth, but all aim to that ultimate reality. Christians call it Word or Logos, muslims call it Kun, chinese call it Tao, etc

Now, what you call Naam Daan,  it is not that, Naam is given to anybody, because as said before, Nam is within everybody already, without it we can not even exist for a second. When He infuses that ray of Nam within anybody, that being becomes conscious being/living being, be it in any joonee. And when He withdraws, that ray of Nam, we cease to exist, and parlays, and mahaparlays take place, and the creation at all levels also comes to an end, until once again, He, Wahiguru Akal Purukh, out of His Mauj, wants to create again.

So you see, what you refer as Naam daan, I would say, is a technique, a jugtee, to make pargat that Nam within us, which already exists, but of which due to the filth of our karmas, vices, man, maya, sanskaras, senses, we are unable to perceive that reality of Nam.

So brother, if the path of Radha Soami Satsang Beas, tells you to wait until you are 25, then try to read more literature, read the Bani, in order to understand and convince yourself, what is right for you, do not rush into anything.

The path is already within also,  and if you are to tread that path, or any other, do not worry, nobody can ever push you away, nor pull you along, for your destiny is only yours, it is a matter of time only.

For the mean time, as brother das has written in his post, keep an eye on your karam, in order to stay clean, and do seva as he has suggested also.

Stay blessed.

Sat Sree Akal.

Yes Veer ji, that’s exactly what we’re taught at the Satsang. You’re correct. Naam Daan not related to anything physical. It’s a technique that we’re taught by the Guru Ji to do meditation. Also some 5 holy names are given to recite during meditation. This technique is also called Surat Shabd Yoga. I don’t know how it is performed exactly. So for now, I’m just doing meditation using a simple technique. Thanks for giving this helpful advice paji 🙏🏼