~ Little Mosque on the Prairie ~

Canadian Broadcast Corp is been hosting comedy sitcom episodes of "Little mosque on the prairie" serial. This sitcom is been really highly rated in canada and getting slowly popular in USA not even that it has won humanitarian award

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2007/10/09...rd.html?ref=rss

I really wish if sikhi had something like this, it be totally hit. Creator of the show who is a muslim lady done a excellent job highlighting fine issues of stereotypes against muslims, have very unbias approach on many socio-culture issues and also targetted fanaticism/extermisim within Islam in form of comedy/sarcasm.

Anyway here are the links to read more about this comedy sitcom

http://www.cbc.ca/littlemosque/

Here are some of episodes to watch : http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...+on+the+Prairie

Please use this thread to discuss not just this serial but if you are given chance to direct sitcom like this on sikhi ie- little gurdwara on rockies lol just made that one up, how would it be different? what issues you will bring fwd to viewers and audience.

I think muslims have done excellent job on educating masses on islam in form of healthy comedy.

Your views please :D

• 2 years later...

mega bump, what you UK folks think? I wish we had a sikhi program like that.

I don't know. Thing is people in the UK are much more aggressive than Canada and they have the remnants of the whole white supremacism brainwashing from colonial times lurking about. That legacy makes things different. Especially amongst the working classes.

I don't think a program like that would work too well here in the current climate. Unless it sort of ridiculed Sikhs. That is what many of them seem to like? Besides the whole definition of multiculturalism seems very different here to that of Canada and America. Here, if you do not interbreed with the natives or if you form your own distinct community there is generally a feeling of resentment amongst the natives. A common gripe is that "they dont wanna mix wiv us."

Have you ever seen Bend It Like Beckham? Isn't that along a similar line to what you are suggesting? See how to make it acceptable they had to have the plot of the Sikh girl sneaking around with a gora. If you haven't seen it already, I also strongly recommend you watch East Is East, which is a comedy/drama about a Muslim family in Northern England.

Actually does anyone remember a short series on a few years ago called Greasemonkeys? It was a comedy about a Sikh/Panjabi family of mechanics and was pretty 'out there'.

Edited by dalsingh101

I was wondering how long it would take for a wised-up muslim to take advantage of the post 9-11 world and all it's nuances and paranoia to make a friends-esque comedy. This wouldn't work for sikhs. The comedy takes the prejudices of white north americans and uses it. Most white north americans have no idea about sikhs, let alone have a good/bad view on them. In britain, the racism is based on the colour of the skin and a person's actions. A comedy like this which would highlight english people's racism would cause condemnation from the anglos. I seriously doubt they could handle it. I used to enjoy getting white people who said they weren't racist to show their prejudices and then confront them on it. You could see the look of confusion on their faces as they tried to reconcile 'i'm not a racist but...' with whatever other comment i had coaxed out of them. Doing this on a comedy show like the yankee one would cause mass tantrums among the island monkey population, until they all end up moaning and whining so much that someone finally puts them out of their collective misery.

until they all end up moaning and whining so much that someone finally puts them out of their collective misery.

ha ha!

One thing that makes me laugh is the way they have loads of different quaint sayings to express their misery at the change they are seeing. Things like:

It's all gone to da dogs!

We used to rule da world we did!

It's all gone pear shaped.

They come here, take all the jobs, stink out da place wiv ruby murrey....etc. etc.

Neva seen anyfing like it in all me life!

I'm the only white man left on my estate!

We can't fly our flag anymore!

Boo hoo!

lol

Edited by dalsingh101

You forgot:

'I cant even call it Christmas anymore! The PC brigade ruin everything'

'I was going to buy my kids Easter eggs but i was worried the police might arrest me for upsetting muslim sentiments. Mind you i spent all my benefits on jack daniels so the kids will have to nick their supper tonight. Not like the good old days though! Back then we would have taken the food out of some dirty wog's mouth! Yeah those were the days!' *sniffs and wipes back a tear*

'Oy come here and give me a snog darling!! Come on dont you like white girls? We're the best' *topples on her high heels and pukes all over the floor, before collapsing and passing out*

etc etc, ad infinitum. Someone should write a book or blog of these types of comments, it would be a right laugh. Dont tell whitey though. If anyone cant take a joke, it's the english.

From what i have gathered from watching from little mosque on the prairies, it shows human bias/stereotyping through sitcom humor, not just people with bias representing islam even right wing conservatives Anglican, arrogant/ignorant red necks are ridiculed through sitcom humor. In addition to that, it also shows people rightfully follow and apply message of both Anglican and Islam religion. Overall, after watching many of its episodes despite of love triangle between imam and hijab woman i forgot her name and with its other guy, overall its send a peace loving message of integration of two different communities into western society values and still practicing their respective religion.

If Sikhs have something similar to that, minus love triangle. It may turn up a hit. Although, I do admit It might be pretty hard to find a character like babar (classic shaira vaddi)....lol. I meant muslim sharia vadis based on serial put our set of sharia vadis to complete shame..lol

Maybe it would work in Canada. The UK is going through one of their periodical frothing at mouth towards foreigners phases. I don't think it would work here myself. Besides, I think the people here have no real interest in presenting other communities, whom they don't have in their pockets, positively.

'Oy come here and give me a snog darling!! Come on dont you like white girls? We're the best' *topples on her high heels and pukes all over the floor, before collapsing and passing out*

Where is this going on then? I'm coming round for a weekend!

<Just messing before you jump down my throat>

HSD are you up North by any chance? Sounds like Newcastle - like.

Where is this going on then? I'm coming round for a weekend!

A variation of that happens any place that has young women and alcohol. Or just young women. London, Brum, Manchester, Cardiff, Bristol, Leeds etc etc. Mind you it depends on how good looking you are as well.

I've heard Newcastle is a riot, though I havent been there, if you're still into all that. I'm in East Berkshire or London most of the time now. So thankfully I dont see that as often, but yeah loose women are harder to avoid than find in this country.

Nah, I'm not into that. People need to read charitrio Pakyaan to get an understanding of that type of stuff.

I don't think the jananis are too bad myself anyway, it's the bunday who are generally challak evil haramis. Unless of course you want to blame the jananis for giving birth to them! lol

I found that Greasemonkeys!

Warning: This was written by a Panjabi (a Mr. Bains) and contains a very..err...colourful portrayal of a Panjabi family which includes drug taking, drinking and sex....don't watch if you get offended easily.

It should also give some of you Canadian brothers an idea of the kind of thing they like in the 'Ju Kay'.

Edited by dalsingh101