Sharia Law

mit

very good question bro.

i would say sikh rehit maryada would be equivalant of the sharia law. I know sharia word itself known for some negative connations but in this context term shouldnt be taken as negative rather as level in the dharams. We all go through sharia when we newly intiate in order to get to second level:

Sant Jagjit singh ji harkhowale explained all four levels in very simple terms:

All the dharams have four levels:

1. Shariat - Outer Rituals, Maryada(limit) so that mind doesnt do any kurahits.

2. Trikat - the way of worship for inner mind's purification

3. Marfat - means knowledge(shud gyan)

4. Hakikat- means realization of supreme reality.

"The sikh equivalent of sharia law is obeying the laws of the country he or she lives in."

I agree 100%.

The Sikh panth does not need an equivalent by way of religious tradition - the path is one of internal search and live liberation (Jeevan Mukhti)rather than the strict observance of a legal system that controls every single detailed aspect of your family, spiritual, social, economic and political life.

The Rehit serves a more specific purpose, that, in my opinion to govern the behavior of the Khalsa, rather than the wider Sikh fold (in general),

Well I would assume your family and friends would be facing the same problem, so a good opportunity for a 'group' emmigration. Make the loss of tax from the hard working 'Sikh' folk more painful for the intolerant 'Sarkaar'.

End of the day, depends whats more dear to you.

I know whats more dear to me.

how if tomorrow England govt says kirpans can no longer be legally worn anywhere in England, what will you do? Move out of England? What will you do in the time it takes to prepare to move away? Will you stop wearing a kirpan for a month or 2? KoOo har smaan nhee raja. Ae Bhoopat sab divas chaar kae, chootae kart divajaa. Sikhs have always stood strong against those trying to oppress them or deny them religous rights, even going to the extent of openly defying the law when it contradicted the hukams of sachee sarkaar, I for one hope that this spirit never leaves Sikhs.

how if tomorrow England govt says kirpans can no longer be legally worn anywhere in England, what will you do? Move out of England? What will you do in the time it takes to prepare to move away? Will you stop wearing a kirpan for a month or 2? KoOo har smaan nhee raja. Ae Bhoopat sab divas chaar kae, chootae kart divajaa. Sikhs have always stood strong against those trying to oppress them or deny them religous rights, even going to the extent of openly defying the law when it contradicted the hukams of sachee sarkaar, I for one hope that this spirit never leaves Sikhs.

amen to that... thats the spirit..!

gsingh, no need to get so exited, if you read my earlier post you will see that i said "Then you fight for the freedom of religious practice through the approved methods of the land, as is being done in France re the Turban issue and continously in the west re the kirpan issue."

You forget that shastar were banned in Punjab post the loss of the 2nd Anglo-sikh war, when oppression fighting Sikhs like Baba Ram singh Namdhari took to carrying laatian in replacement of kirpan so they were no unarmed but still within the law.

Also gsingh, I am sure you have travelled abroad, could I ask where your defiance was when you were boarding the plane without (I assume) your kirpan?

gsingh, no need to get so exited, if you read my earlier post you will see that i said "Then you fight for the freedom of religious practice through the approved methods of the land, as is being done in France re the Turban issue and continously in the west re the kirpan issue."

You forget that shastar were banned in Punjab post the loss of the 2nd Anglo-sikh war, when oppression fighting Sikhs like Baba Ram singh Namdhari took to carrying laatian in replacement of kirpan so they were no unarmed but still within the law.

Also gsingh, I am sure you have travelled abroad, could I ask where your defiance was when you were boarding the plane without (I assume) your kirpan?

I wasn't getting excited, the point that I was trying to make is that I don't believe that Sikhs should feel obligated at all times to follow the law of the land - as would be the case if the law of the land was considered the equivalent of the sharia of Sikh.

The airplane issue is a tough one. I really havent travelled abroad since receiving amrit di daat, but I do know some Singhs that have travelled through Canada, and also on direct flights from Canada to India without taking off their kirpan. They wore small kirpans and reasoned with the airport people and refused to take it off. Other Singhs I know just did ardaas and walked through the metal detectors.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the naamdharis of Baba Raam Singh's times also wear a kirpan in their dastaar?

If the law clashes with Sikhi Rehat then the only means to combat it is to fight it lawfully or emigrate. OR to go hardcore ultra terrorist and rebel against the whole lot - total anarchy, Acting through any other means, means you will not be taken seriously. These days you have to fight clever otherwise if you go in with a punjabi shere attitude you will end up chasing your own tail trying to bite it off. I would like to hold this attitude but i have been burned to many times trying to be like that, the system is corrupt and sly, we have to fight the battles of Guru Gobind Singh Ji in a different way now.

Plus the issues Sikhs faced in western countries today are hardly comparable to the Mughal oppression!

I personally feel very grateful to God for being born in the UK, no matter what people say, Sikhs have a level of freedom, respect and opportunity here that is not found anywhere else on Earth.

I can live with the occassional dilemma i.e. from a girl who has an identity crisis and a Welsh school who thinks the kara she wants to wear is jewellery, as we all ultimately know, the laws in this land are so PC, the eventual victor will not come as a surprise.