Benti to scholars: Principles of Scriptural Interpretation

Xylitol

I've read scholars on the board state that proper vichaar of scriptures cannot be done by the untrained to the same degree of proficiency as it can by those who have been taught how to read and interpret scripture. I feel that it would benefit all of us if the learned members of the board would teach the rest of us these principles of scriptural interpretation. While many of them are common sense, there are probably quite a few things that we as a group could find useful.

So... how about it guys? [schild=4 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]?[/schild](note: I'm not implying that an internet thread could replace years of study)

i found 14 principles of Katha by Guru Har Gobind Sahib in a book i have at home. in this he mentions those qualities a man has to have in order to interpret Gurbani. something like knowledge of all scriptures(vedas, shastras, gita, quran etc) he needs to know the languages of the Guru Granth, etc etc

i found 14 principles of Katha by Guru Har Gobind Sahib in a book i have at home. in this he mentions those qualities a man has to have in order to interpret Gurbani. something like knowledge of all scriptures(vedas, shastras, gita, quran etc) he needs to know the languages of the Guru Granth, etc etc

What are the 14 principles and qualities we need to have? :?:

you need kirpa thats what you need

whatever YOU as an individual are supposed to understand from gurbani at that point in your life, thats what guru sahib will make you understand.

A bit of vichaar with fellow gursikhs is cool, but rest is aal jaal.

Guroo Sahib has already told us that the message of vedas is simply to jap naam, so we dont need to waste our time as we know wat it says, whereas gurbani itself is something which joins us to naam, so we must spend lots of time reading it and watever we understand from that, understand it as guru sahib himself teaching you and incorporate that into life.

antinang:

I have a friend who says he does not need to learn panjabi as he will be given gyan of Gurbani by listening to it... so he is a kinda lazy fella.

i think its because of these thoughts that the panth is lacking skills of languages ie brij basha, sanskrit and farsi to understand Gurbani.

antinang:

I have a friend who says he does not need to learn panjabi as he will be given gyan of Gurbani by listening to it... so he is a kinda lazy fella.

i think its because of these thoughts that the panth is lacking skills of languages ie brij basha, sanskrit and farsi to understand Gurbani.

you need to know gurmukhi because bani itself says to read gurbani, but anyway when the time is correct his gurbani listening will also reap fruit and he will be directed to learn.

We learn from babaneea kahaneea that Vaheguroo Ji values innocent and ego-free faith above all.

IMHO these things only end up giving more ego and take up time in which we could be getting closer to vaheguroo.

I agree with antinang . although education is necessary for living in this world , philosophical and rigorous scholarly discussions about the scriptures will only keep us away from utilizing time that could have been utilized japping naam.

Naam is the saar of everything.

I am not trying to say that education is not necessary at all. For eg. santhya of Gurbani is very important but spending years and years of one's life trying to interpret vedas, upanishads and other major scriptures of various traditions will only waste time. Because this kind of scholalry questions have no end. They will keep on popping up in your mind, and miscreants will always counter your claims one way or other .

So for us normal level humans like me , santhya of gurbani to understand the main message of guru ji is enough. The main deal is to do what is said.

"simrat ved puran pukaran pothiyaan naam bina sab kood gaali hochian"

just last week buddhist prof was giving an example while trying to explain about a buddhist school in japan. he said a person can spend his whole life reading and researching about passion fruit but he will not know what its true essence is unless he tastes it. And this enlightenment is instant , known as Atori.