mixed varan marriage

I recall reading eons ago bahadur ali saying something about how once it was the case that a wife would take her husbands caste on marriage if there was any disparity. I've read something similar recently and was wondering if anyone knows a source for this or can corroborate it?

thanks

As per Twareekh Khalsa, Gianiji seems to imply that based on his research typically every major caste or 'Gote' today is guilty at one point or another of taking women of the lower castes into their own. Gianiji had given many examples, including the Rajya's Poot (Rajpoot) history in particular. But ofcourse this is from the 1920's publishing by Khalsa tract society so other Granths should also be consulted and there are a few contradictions starting from the title itself: "Twareekh 'Guru' Khalsa" printed on the cover vs. "Twareekh Khalsa" mentioned in the text itself. Also many foreign (english) words being used in the text.

Thank you! I have it from one source that in the 'old times' just as a wife took on her husbands caste on marriage, so a shish took on his guru's caste on initiation (hence the khalsa sodhi kshatriya thing). I've got something seeming to allude to that in a code of conduct from another tradition, that 'one should never be initiated by a guru of a lesser caste'. But manusmriti talks about the seventh generation of a mixed marriage regaining the husband's original jaat meaning that the wife does not actually change jaat at all.

• 5 weeks later...

In Islamic tradition - man can marry a girl of the kitebs i.e. Jewish or Christian, but children are then raised as Muslim. Muslim woman can only marry a Muslim man.

"one should never be initiated by a guru of a lesser caste"

Example of Bhagat Ravidas Ji and his shish Mirabhai again contradicts this theory/tradition.

can i ask if why didnt "karan" take on the caste of his shish "Parshuram" . any1 familiar with this episode will recall how Parshuram actually gave Karan a saraap when he foudn out that he wasnt a brahman but a low caste.

OMG!! i have just read the question i asked yesterday and im surprised that no-one saw it. Karan was the shish of Parashuram. I got the wrong way round.

why didnt "karan" take on the caste of his GURU "Parshuram" ?

also Bhagwaan Ram Chandr and Bhagwaan Krishn were of kshatryi varan whereas their Gurus (vashist,vishvamitr) were brahmans...

A Muslim woman can never marry a non Muslim. It's their tradition, and I respect that. Muslims are very firm in their faith. Unlike our Sikh girls who readily marry non Sikh males when given the chance, the Muslim woman in contrast would rarely marry a non Muslim. I've seen cases of love marriages between a Muslim girl and a non Muslim guy, but the non Muslim male always has to convert to Islam in order to marry her. I wish our girls were as firm in their faith.

"What of the man is a non-muslim, i.e. Hindu, Sikh? What should be done in this situation if he wants to marry a Muslim woman?"

Mithar has answered yuor question.

Mithar - the difference is that they take their dharm more seriously and give their kids a sense of bleonging via teaching them Arabic at infant age and not putting so much emphasis on having boys etc.

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...sc&start=15

Listen to the interview - I believe Makdhum Ji makes some valid points re Sikh girls (irrelevant of his beliefs).