Purpose Of Amrit Sanchar?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what exactly is the purpose of amrit sanchar in Sikhi?

i always here parcharks etc.. say one should take amrit but i dont fink i've ever heard anyone explain why and the purpose of the ceremony

Is it simply a initiation into the religion?

A lot of this has already been discussed on this forum. But here is the short version:

Let's say this:

- Why we are here on earth? What is the purpose of our birth?

Answer: In order to be one with GOD. We are seperated from GOD and during this birth we are given the opportunity to meet HIM, otherwise wander in 84 lakh joonis.

- How can we meet GOD?

Answer: By doing 3 things: Simran, Dhayan, and Gyan. But these 3 things does NOT get fruit unless you have Guru. Gyan is the last stage of spiritual level and can ONLY be given by Guru.

- Who is Guru?

Answer: Who is already one with GOD and knows the path to GOD. In Sikhism "Guru Granth Sahib Ji" is our Guru and in order to accept Guru Granth Sahib Ji our Guru, one needs to take SanskarAmrit/Khanda Bate da Amrit.

ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਨਾ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਮਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ ॥੫॥

Without the Guru, liberation is not attained, and the double-mindedness of Maya does not go away. ||5||

ਪੰਨਾ 67, ਸਤਰ 3

2nd way to understand: If a child wants to get a Phd degree, then firstly he/she needs to get admission in any school starting from primary class. The child canNOT directly get Phd degree without going through initial classes.

In spiritual world (any religion), there are 4 steps on the path to GOD:

Manjle Shariat: This is the first step. In Sikhism it is taking Khanda Bate da Amrit and regularly doing path of 5 banis. This is kind of primary class if we want to get a degree. In Muslims, there are 5 namaj. In Hindus, there are 3 sandea.

Manjle Trikat: Naam Abyaas through Brahmgyani.

Manjle Marfat: It is knowledge of Atama (Spirit). In this step one understands the Nirgun RAAB. In order words one gets an eye to see Nirgun RAAB.

Manjle Hakikat: In this step Jev merges into GOD.

Moreover, there are 3 kind of Amrit: Khanda Bate da Amrit (Sanskar Amrit), Naam Amrit, Gyan Amrit. Here Sanskar Amrit is the pre-requiste for other Amrit.

here are some more details Xylitol:

4 Steps in All Religions: Spiritual Journey

Q: What is our aim of human life?

A: To join GOD from whom we are separated. Or say to merge with GOD.

Q. What is the purpose of any religion/school?

A: To guide us in the spiritual journey.

Q. What is the basic requirement to meet GOD?

A. Knowledge/Gyan which could be achieved through Naam and Guru. But before that our mind/mann should be clean and ikargar.

e.g

Let's say that we want to put Lioness Milk in a Gold utensil (because lioness milk can only be retained in Gold vessel). But that Gold utensil is already filled with poison. Then, how could we put Milk in Gold Utensil?

1. Throw away the existing poison and stop pouring more poison into utensil. This is Manjle Shariat where we try to stop putting poison (kurehats) in the utensil (our mann).

2. Start cleaning the utensil with various techniques depending upon the current situation of the utensil. This is Manje Trikat where we try to clean and ikargar our mann by various techniques given by Brahmgyani according to our current condition of mann.

3. After cleaning the utensil, the utensil becomes eligible to retain the lioness Milk. After we inspect if the utensil is totally cleaned we pour the milk in the utensil. This is Manjle Marfat where GuruJi pours Gyan in our mann and we understand the actual meaning of Nirgun GOD and understand HIM and can see HIM everywhere.

4. Milk resides within utensil and hence achieves the target. This is Manjle Hakikar where Jev and GOD becomes One and Jev fulfills the mission of human life.

The following are the 4 steps in every religion or in other words the following are the 4 steps in one’s spiritual journey. Right now, we are separated from GOD and we cannot comprehend HIM because our mann is very dirty.

Manjle Shariat: 1st step (Primary class)

----------------------------------------------

This is the first step in spiritual journey. We need to take admission in some school if we want to get Phd degree. A degree cannot be obtained directly without joining a school. The purpose of this step is basically to train our mind to keep distance from various kurehats and be firm on rehat. A human can learn something only if he/she does that regularly and within proper discipline. So, in Sikhism this is defined as: "Khande Bate Da Amrit" + 5 banis da path + Satsang karna. This helps us to move away from kurehats and helps to shud/refine our mann. In Hindus: 3 santhea are the Shariat and in Muslims 5 Namajs is the Shariat.

ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਮਹਲੁ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥

Without the Guru, the Mansion of the Lord's Presence is not found, and the Naam is not obtained.

(ਪੰਨਾ 30, ਸਤਰ 17)

ਭਾਈ ਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥

O Siblings of Destiny, without the Guru, there is no devotional worship.

(ਪੰਨਾ 31, ਸਤਰ 17)

ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਉਤਰੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਕਿਉ ਘਰ ਵਾਸੁ ॥

Without the Guru, this pollution is not removed. Without the Lord, how can there be any homecoming?

(ਪੰਨਾ 18, ਸਤਰ 16)

ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਨਾ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਮਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ ॥੫॥

Without the Guru, liberation is not attained, and the double-mindedness of Maya does not go away. ||5||

(ਪੰਨਾ 67, ਸਤਰ 3)

Manjle Trikat: 2nd Step (10th class)

------------------------------------------

While using the first step one's mind starts becoming shud by avoiding the kurehats. But still mind needs more refinement or cleanliness. This can be achieved ONLY by "Naam Abyaas†through Brahmgyani. There are various techniques to do Naam Abyaas which needs to be given ONLY by a Brahmgyani according to one's caliber. Naam Abyaas without guidance (through Guru or Brahmgyani) does NOT yield required results. It's NOT that there will be no good results; it's that it will NOT be that effective. If you happen NOT to know any True Brahmgyani, then do Ardas to GuruJi with 100% devotion and faith to show you required technique and GuruJi will guide you in some way (sometimes in dreams, sometimes other ways). "Naam Abyaas" helps us to totally clean our mind from ALL impurities. The various techniques for Naam Abyaas are:

• Baikri Bani (When one recites naam with tongue, lips, and thoughts),

• Madhma Bani (When one recites naam in throat without moving lips, just with the thoughts),

• Pasanti Bani (When one recites naam in heart and with thoughts),

• Para Bani (When one recites naam in Navel without moving tongue and with the thoughts),

• Saas-Saas (Receiting Naam with every breath).

But these techniques MUST be given by Brahmgyani/Guru. Do NOT worry about the techniques and get flowed away with this because once we reach this stage Guru will automatically do this.

ਜਿਨੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਗਏ ਮਸਕਤਿ ਘਾਲਿ ॥

Those who have meditated on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and departed after having worked by the sweat of their brows.

(ਪੰਨਾ 8, ਸਤਰ 12)

ਕਲ ਮੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਤੇ ਪਾਵਤ ਗੁਰੁ ਯਹ ਭੇਦੁ ਬਤਾਵੈ ॥

In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, liberation comes from the Naam. The Guru has revealed this secret.

(ਪੰਨਾ 831, ਸਤਰ 6)

ਮਨਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਤਾ ਪਾਏ ਮੋਖ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥੨॥

Meditating on the Naam with a pure mind, the Door of Liberation is found. ||2||

(ਪੰਨਾ 33, ਸਤਰ 18)

ਕਬੀਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਕਉ ਦੁਇ ਭਲੇ ਏਕੁ ਸੰਤੁ ਇਕੁ ਰਾਮੁ ॥

Kabeer, it is good to perform selfless service for two – the Saints and the Lord.

ਰਾਮੁ ਜੁ ਦਾਤਾ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕੋ ਸੰਤੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ਨਾਮੁ ॥੧੬੪॥

The Lord is the Giver of liberation, and the Saint inspires us to chant the Naam. ||164||

(ਪੰਨਾ 1373, ਸਤਰ 6)

Manjle Marfat: 3rd Step (Bachelors degree)

--------------------------------------------------

It is knowledge of Atama (Spirit). In this step one understands the Nirgun RAAB. In order words one gets an eye to see Nirgun RAAB. Without totally cleaned and Ikagar maan we cannot comprehend GOD. Right now, we only say in words only that GOD is Nirgun by reading Granths but in real we are NOT able to see GOD in everyone (living and non-living things). GOD is sarbvapak/present everywhere e.g We cannot see our face clearly in dirty mirror. The mirror needs to be steady and clean if we want to see ourselves in mirror. In this step (Manjle Marfat) we get the actual real knowledge/Gyan of RAAB which is required to meet GOD. Without Guru Gyan is NOT possible and without Gyan Mukti is NOT possible.

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੈ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਤਤੁ ਬੁਧਿ ॥

In the remembrance of God are knowledge, meditation and the essence of wisdom.

(ਪੰਨਾ 262, ਸਤਰ 17)

ਮਤਿ ਤਤੁ ਗਿਆਨੰ ਕਲਿਆਣ ਨਿਧਾਨੰ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮ ਮਨਿ ਰਮਣੰ ॥੨॥

The intellect receives the treasure, the knowledge of reality and supreme bliss, by repeating the Lord's Name in the mind. ||2||

(ਪੰਨਾ 505, ਸਤਰ 14)

ਮਨੁ ਕੁੰਚਰੁ ਪੀਲਕੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਕੁੰਡਾ ਜਹ ਖਿੰਚੇ ਤਹ ਜਾਇ ॥

The mind is the elephant, the Guru is the elephant-driver, and knowledge is the whip. Wherever the Guru drives the mind, it goes.

(ਪੰਨਾ 516, ਸਤਰ 18)

ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਪ੍ਰਚੰਡੁ ਬਲਾਇਆ ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਅੰਧੇਰਾ ਜਾਇ ॥੨॥

The Guru has lit the brilliant light of spiritual wisdom, and the darkness of ignorance has been dispelled. ||2||

(ਪੰਨਾ 29, ਸਤਰ 6)

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨਾਮਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਹੋਈ ॥

Through the spiritual wisdom of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, the Gurmukh is liberated.

(ਪੰਨਾ 117, ਸਤਰ 5)

Manjle Hakikat: 4th Step (Phd degree)

--------------------------------------------

This is the last step in one's spiritual journey. In this step jev merges with GOD. There is NO difference between GOD and jev in this stage.

ਨਾਨਕ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਮੇਲੇ ਨ ਵਿਛੁੜੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਸਮਾਵੈ ਸੋਇ ॥੧॥

O Nanak, those who are united with Him shall not be separated again. They merge imperceptibly into God. ||1||

(ਪੰਨਾ 88, ਸਤਰ 12)

Regardless of how a brahmgyani is, they may be one with Guru Sahib, they are still NOT Guru Sahib himself. There is a difference. Its not our place to question hukam of maharaj.

Amardeep jio you raise an interesting point and I will try to look into that. For the time being what I will say is that Panj Pyare are Guru roop and are the system established for amrit sanchar and administration of naam, not only are they roop but Guru Sahib's power is vested there also. Perhaps Guru Sahib was just referring to the fact that Khalsa is his image? Apologies if I am wrong here.

Shaheediyan Ji, Gurmat naam, the only one for a Sikh of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj :)

Regardless of how a brahmgyani is, they may be one with Guru Sahib, they are still NOT Guru Sahib himself. There is a difference. Its not our place to question hukam of maharaj.

Amardeep jio you raise an interesting point and I will try to look into that. For the time being what I will say is that Panj Pyare are Guru roop and are the system established for amrit sanchar and administration of naam, not only are they roop but Guru Sahib's power is vested there also. Perhaps Guru Sahib was just referring to the fact that Khalsa is his image? Apologies if I am wrong here.

Shaheediyan Ji, Gurmat naam, the only one for a Sikh of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj :)

Sant Jagjit Singh Harkhowal wale said the same thing in one of the recordings that were posted here. A Sikh receives Naam (Gurmantar - the highest of all mantars) during Amrit Sanchar and is meant to do do abhiyaas on that to get mukhti.

Which are the different types of Naam Shaheediyan Veer Ji?

In Sikhism Naam should be given by one of the Panj Payars during Amrit Sanchar. But the condition is that Payara should have already travelled and reached the destination i.e GOD. And the one who reaches destination and is One with GOD is called Brahmgyani. How could someone who has NOT reached GOD can guide us the procedure of reaching GOD. In initial days there were at-least one Brahmgyani as Panj Payars but these days this is NOT true.

ਰਾਮੁ ਜੁ ਦਾਤਾ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕੋ ਸੰਤੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ਨਾਮੁ ॥੧੬੪॥

The Lord is the Giver of liberation, and the Saint inspires us to chant the Naam. ||164||

(ਪੰਨਾ 1373, ਸਤਰ 6)

Here Brahmgyani is the TRUE Brahmgyani and not just a person. These days we as a people use Brahmgyani word for some kathakar/keetanea or even for a normal person who has some high spiritual level. Brahmgyani is above ALL spiritual levels. Due to our mind set we cannot understand the Brahmgyani.

Well if one reads Gurbani, they will see the different contexts in which naam is mentioned or can be understood i.e. experiental, wisdom, simran, power, grace, kirtan, essence, God...

Ultimately they are all relevant and one and the same - but I strongly disagree with the notion that naam only refers to Gur-Mantar alone - although I believe it can finally and fully be experienced through true devotion via Gur-Mantar.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਕਹਣਾ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥

I Disagree with "you can only get to God, through a human Guru". In Sikhism Guru Granth Sahib Ji is Guru. There is NO need for human Guru. But at the same time in Sikhism there is a need for Sant.

I also Disagree with the brothers and sisters who say to other religions "they are false. One can ONLY achieve salvation/liberation through Guru Granth Sahib Ji". There are many many souls who got liberated before Guru Granth Sahib Ji was formally created. They get liberation through their Guru (physically present as human body).

Actually, there is NO word "Human Guru"........ Guru is One who is already merged with GOD and knows very well how to reach HIM. When anyone merges with GOD, then NO longer he is Human.....He becomes GOD even though his body is made up of 5 elements and looks like human. So, we cannot say he is "Human Guru"..........there are NO categories of Guru.......Guru is One......GOD is One.......infact Guru and GOD is One.

ਵੈਸਾਖੁ ਸੁਹਾਵਾ ਤਾਂ ਲਗੈ ਜਾ ਸੰਤੁ ਭੇਟੈ ਹਰਿ ਸੋਇ ॥੩॥

The month of Vaisaakh is beautiful and pleasant, when the Saint causes me to meet the Lord. ||3||

ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸੁ ਇਹੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਮਾਗੈ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਕਰਿ ਸੰਤਨ ਕੀ ਧੂਰੇ ॥੪॥੫॥

Nanak, Your slave, begs for this happiness: let me be the dust of the feet of the Saints. ||4||5||

(ਪੰਨਾ 13, ਸਤਰ 19)

ਸੰਤ ਸਭਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਧੇਣੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

In the Society of the Saints, the Guru is found. He is the Treasure of Liberation, the Source of all good fortune. ||1||Pause||

(ਪੰਨਾ 18, ਸਤਰ 12)

ਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਲੇ ਸੰਤ ਹਰਿ ਸੁਘੜੁ ਸੁਜਾਣੁ ਜੀਉ ॥

The Saintly Guru has united me with the All-knowing and All-seeing Lord.

(ਪੰਨਾ 175, ਸਤਰ 12)

Gurmantr comes first. Then that next stage of Naam dhan comes later. It can take many lifetimes to achieve. In the Q&A with sant jagjit singh ji he mentioned something like (from memory here so i may recollect wrongly) it is when simran gets pukka.

Those people who say i've received naam and can't discuss it etc, I don't know. Perhaps you are refering to people of a different reliigon? I'm thinking of radhasoami.

For Naam dhan, jugti to get it is given by sant, but as far as I know, the Guru gives it. Anhad bani pounji, santa(n) hath rakhe kounji - the sants have the keys in their hands.

If your above question is referring to sants teachign jugti for naam dhan, it is not shared with others b/c the seeker has to qualify, show that they are ready for it + be at the right avastha to get it. It can take lifetimes. Also, I THINK that it is different for each person, a very individual thing.

Perhaps something stated in the following kathas may clarify things:

Atmik Bachan by Sant Isher Singh ji (Rara Sahib) http://www.gurbaniupdesh.org/multimedia/downloads.php

"the only naam for a sikh is Vaheguroo as this was the naam created by Vaheguroo himself for himself."

Vaar 10 Pauri 15 of 23 of Vaaran Bhai Gurdas

ਹੋਇ ਬਿਰਕਤੁ ਬਨਾਰਸੀ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਰਾਮਾਨਦੁ ਗੁਸਾਈਂ ।

hoi birakatu banaarasee rahindaa raamaanadu gusaaeen|

Being detached from the world, Brahmin Ramanand lived in Varanasi (Kasi).

Line 1

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਵੇਲੇ ਉਠਿ ਕੈ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਗੰਗਾ ਨ੍ਹਾਵਣ ਤਾਈਂ ।

anmritu vaylay utdi kai jaandaa gangaa nhaavan taaeen|

He would rise early in the morning and go to the Ganges to bathe.

Line 2

ਅਗੋ ਹੀ ਦੇ ਜਾਇ ਕੈ ਲਮਾ ਪਿਆ ਕਬੀਰ ਤਿਥਾਈਂ ।

ago hee day jaai kai|amaa piaa kabeer tidaaeen|

Once even before Ramanand, Kabir went there and lay in the way.

Line 3

ਪੈਰੀ ਟੁੰਬਿ ਉਠਾਲਿਆ ਬੋਲਹੁ ਰਾਮ ਸਿਖ ਸਮਝਾਈ ।

pairee tunbi utdaaliaa bolahu raam sikh samajhaaee|

Touching with his feet Ramanand awakened Kabir and told him to speak ‘Ram’, the true spiritual teaching.

Line 4

ਜਿਉ ਲੋਹਾ ਪਾਰਸੁ ਛੁਹੇ ਚੰਦਨ ਵਾਸੁ ਨਿਮੁ ਮਹਕਾਈ ।

jiu|ohaa paarasu chhuhay chandan vaasu nimu mahakaaee|

As the iron touched by philosopher’s stone becomes gold and the margosa tree (Azadirachta indica) is made fragrant by sandal.

Line 5

ਪਸੂ ਪਰੇਤਹੁ ਦੇਵ ਕਰਿ ਪੂਰੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਦੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ।

pasoo paraytahu dayv kari pooray satigur dee vadiaaee|

The wondrous Guru turns even animals and ghosts into angels.

Line 6

ਅਚਰਜ ਨੋ ਅਚਰਜੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਵਿਸਮਾਦੈ ਵਿਸਮਾਦੁ ਮਿਲਾਈ ।

acharaj no acharaju milai visamaadai visamaadu milaaee|

Meeting the wonderous Guru the disciple wonderfully merges into the great wonderous Lord.

Line 7

ਝਰਣਾ ਝਰਦਾ ਨਿਝਰਹੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਅਘੜ ਘੜਾਈ ।

jharanaa jharadaa nijharahu guramukhi baanee agharh gharhaaee|

Then from the Self springs a fountain and the words of the gurmukhs shape a beautiful form

Line 8

ਰਾਮ ਕਬੀਰੈ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਭਾਈ ॥੧੫॥

raam kabeerai bhaydu n bhaaee ॥15॥

Now Ram and Kabir became identical.

Dhan Dhan Bhagat Kabeer Sahib Ji was given naam from his Guru at that time which was Ram,Dhan Dhan Bhagat Ramanand Sahib Ji at that point must not have recieved naam from Guru Sahib.

I have a pretty good idea that most people on here will believe that the Bhagat Sahib's did not meet Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Ji and recieve naam from him, I won't bother going into that as its a whole debate, however this is the view I hold.

Xylotol jio, Gurmantar is the highest naam, there is nothing higher than Gurmantar, Gurmantar is Vaheguroo himself. And why cannot Guru Sahib give the jugti himself? Who ever heard of the chela of a Guru not being provided all spiritual guidance by their Guru? Why this exception with Guru Nanak Dev Ji's panth? How did this panth allow fellow chelas to become masters?

All different religions have their own version of 'Naam' that they meditate on.

That is irrelevant for us. All that matters is that we are asked to do Jaap of Waheguru as Gurmantar.

And why cannot Guru Sahib give the jugti himself? Who ever heard of the chela of a Guru not being provided all spiritual guidance by their Guru? Why this exception with Guru Nanak Dev Ji's panth? How did this panth allow fellow chelas to become masters?

Guru Sahib does give the jugti- these are passed down from one generation to the next. True Sants have become Sants by following the jugties given by Guru ji, so obviously these techniques work.

They are found in Gurbani, if we look hard.