"Veggie" meat

jsb

Ok..so sometimes, the chinese can annoy us..let's face it...it's true

but one thing i love about them, is their Veggie Meat... all tofu based...it's great.. no where near the same taste as real meat, but it makes you eat tofu cuz it's like...tangy tofu..

now, i know there'll be reactions like "veggie meat is bad..if you wanna eat meat, then eat meat, don't justifyu veggie meat" or stuff along that line...

BUT on the other hand...alotta people like it..

my question:

If veggie meat is acceptable, then is Non-Alcoholic Beer?

yeh if u want that stuff u can i guess

personally i think tofu etc is HEAVY, well nice, but i wouldnt have non alcoholic beer.

gurbani says u shudnt really eat things just for taste, and few of us truly follow this, but the tofu has ENUF protein in it, this is important for a veggie, so that is a semi-excuse. but drinking non alcoholic beer, well there isnt much excuse at all.

if u want to have it then its orite i guess, but eventually we are all gunna have to give up the stuff we love.

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

I eat 'veggie meat' as you called it...

I started off one day when I saw that there were meat free sausages and was totally amazed by the concept (I was young then)...

I'll be honest... i've never had that non-alcoholic stuff....i'm really jus lookin for responses. It kinda creeps me out..what if like they accidentally snuck some of the real stuff in there or sum'n yoiu know? haha

I started off one day when I saw that there were meat free sausages and was totally amazed by the concept (I was young then)...

You make it sound like you regret it.. is that the case?

i dunno why i'm partial towards the fake meat... they say that the non-alcoholic beer stuff, it's actually just like they say for the one serving of alcohol means better protection against all that heart problems...so in that way, it's healthy...but, it's wierd..

so yeah..jus lookin for responses!! :D

fateh

where dus it seyin gurbani that we r nt allowed 2 eat things 4 taste? coz i dnt no ne1 hoo follows that. i think as long as the food or drink (veggie meat or non-alcoholic beer) is not harming anyone or anything else....or ur self, then its fine..we rnt allowed beer, purely coz it contains alcohol...an if that is taken out..then theres no reason y we shouldnt drink it.

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

You make it sound like you regret it.. is that the case?

No I don't regret it at all, I may have written it like that unknowingly...

Its food at the end of the day and as long as it is not meat, it don't matter does it...

hey...!

I used 2 eat meat b4 i ever got into Sikhhi - and after i stopped eating it, i never really wanted to go back to it.....

But when i "discovered" vege meat thingy, i was happy... seemed like the basis for me 100% never to go back to meat cus i had an alternative - and 4 the obvious reasons too....

but wen i used to eat meat -i never used to eat it cus it was meat, but cus of the taste - and the taste really was just the spices.... so really, no attatchment to the fact it was meat, but i was attatched to the taste.

Now u can make the taste 99.9% the same with soya or quorn or woteva.... so it all gud init...!!!!!!!

+ no my freezer is packed with Linda McCartney and quorn... ha ha he he...!!!!!!!!!

I'd say it okay to eat vege stuff but not tha non alc beer cuz like above ses - not much excuse - but then again if sum1 has a drinking problem or is tempted by the alcoholic stuff - then drinking non alcoholic stuff is better in that case.

ill try and look for some gurbani for what i said, but im pretty sure it was bhagat kabeers bani. and he also says somethig about only eating simple food, and eating and sleeping little.

we are all guilty of munching expensive food all the time, but eventually i do hope just 2 survive on langar.

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

ill try and look for some gurbani for what i said, but im pretty sure it was bhagat kabeers bani. and he also says somethig about only eating simple food, and eating and sleeping little.

I recall hearing something about the quotes that you are refering to but at this stage cannot remember them, but I think I know what your are on about...

is this the one? iv highlighted the relevant bits - it's a really interesting shabad, by Guru Nanak Dev Ji, in Sriraag, pana 16 :

sabh ras mit(h)ae ma(n)niai suniai saalonae ||

Believing, all tastes are sweet. Hearing, the salty flavors are tasted;

khatt thurasee mukh bolanaa maaran naadh keeeae ||

chanting with one's mouth, the spicy flavors are savored. All these spices have been made from the Sound-current of the Naad.

shhatheeh a(n)mrith bhaao eaek jaa ko nadhar karaee ||1||

The thirty-six flavors of ambrosial nectar are in the Love of the One Lord; they are tasted only by one who is blessed by His Glance of Grace. ||1||

baabaa hor khaanaa khusee khuaar ||

O Baba, the pleasures of other foods are false.

jith khaadhhai than peerreeai man mehi chalehi vikaar ||1|| rehaao ||

Eating them, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. ||1||Pause||

rathaa painan man rathaa supaedhee sath dhaan ||

My mind is imbued with the Lord's Love; it is dyed a deep crimson. Truth and charity are my white clothes.

neelee siaahee kadhaa karanee pehiran pair dhhiaan ||

The blackness of sin is erased by my wearing of blue clothes, and meditation on the Lord's Lotus Feet is my robe of honor.

kamaraba(n)dh sa(n)thokh kaa dhhan joban thaeraa naam ||2||

Contentment is my cummerbund, Your Name is my wealth and youth. ||2||

baabaa hor painan khusee khuaar ||

O Baba, the pleasures of other clothes are false.

jith paidhhai than peerreeai man mehi chalehi vikaar ||1|| rehaao ||

Wearing them, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. ||1||Pause||

ghorrae paakhar sueinae saakhath boojhan thaeree vaatt ||

The understanding of Your Way, Lord, is horses, saddles and bags of gold for me.

tharakas theer kamaan saa(n)g thaegaba(n)dh gun dhhaath ||

The pursuit of virtue is my bow and arrow, my quiver, sword and scabbard.

vaajaa naejaa path sio paragatt karam thaeraa maeree jaath ||3||

To be distinguished with honor is my drum and banner. Your Mercy is my social status. ||3||

baabaa hor charranaa khusee khuaar ||

O Baba, the pleasures of other rides are false.

jith charriai than peerreeai man mehi chalehi vikaar ||1|| rehaao ||

By such rides, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. ||1||Pause||

ghar ma(n)dhar khusee naam kee nadhar thaeree paravaar ||

The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the pleasure of houses and mansions. Your Glance of Grace is my family, Lord.

hukam soee thudhh bhaavasee hor aakhan bahuth apaar ||

The Hukam of Your Command is the pleasure of Your Will, Lord. To say anything else is far beyond anyone's reach.

naanak sachaa paathisaahu pooshh n karae beechaar ||4||

O Nanak, the True King does not seek advice from anyone else in His decisions. ||4||

baabaa hor sounaa khusee khuaar ||

O Baba, the pleasure of other sleep is false.

jith suthai than peerreeai man mehi chalehi vikaar ||1|| rehaao ||4||7||

By such sleep, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. ||1||Pause||4||7||

hope this helped :)

Guest kaur1699

Fateh Ji,

it's a really interesting shabad, by Guru Nanak Dev Ji

hmm, this is well interesting, but I don't think its the one I was refering to... I'll try and find out which one I'm on about...

we sometimes get the linda mc-cartneys foods, but its not eaten cos "oh we cant eat meat so this is the next best thing" - if ur gonna think like that then its not even worth giving up meat is it lol

but anyway, nothin wrong with having soya based food, but the alchoholic beer is a defo no no, imagine if u saw a singh with a massive dhari and dastaar with a glass of that sittin down... ud be like. "ohhhhhhhh i saw a singh drinkin beer today and he was wearin a kirpan" lol... see where im going?? :P :twisted: