Sikh Man Wearing An Ear Ring?

HSD1

Even the old paintings of Sikh raje and princes show them wearing quite large hoops intheir ears (something very chavvy, these days lol). So what has changed over the last few decades that Sikhs are now being discouraged from such practices , being Manmat. Same for tattoos, to an extent.?

Even the old paintings of Sikh raje and princes show them wearing quite large hoops intheir ears (something very chavvy, these days lol). So what has changed over the last few decades that Sikhs are now being discouraged from such practices , being Manmat. Same for tattoos, to an extent.?

Raje and Maharaje didn't exactly follow Gurmat, generally speaking. At the other end of the scale, quite a few people in pinds used to have ear-rings - I think it was just a rawaaj in some areas.

Valli Singh - yup, that's him.

wearing of earing was a Rivaaj during themid and later half of the 19th century and early part of 20th century. Paintings made during that time period depicting Guru Sahibaan and Misldars also portray them as wearing earings. Even Nihangs are shown wearing earings from that time period.

The thing is wearing earrings and gold jewellery does not carry the same significance as it did a 100 or 200 years ago. It does not cause an awe inspiring feeling, it does not influence others with respect. Because any insignificant nobody can wear gold. In short peoples values are different, and very debased, i think it is a mistake to ressurect past values into modern society, not only a mistake but dangerous, would you give gold kare to a pig he would probably eat them or shit on them.

Exactly. personally, i feel that as many sikh people feel powerless to do anything about making khalistan or dealing with the muslim/white racist threat to our panth, they use any militant attributes they have let and turn on their own lot. this leads to a whole load of fundamentalists trying to purge our community of things they do not agree with, yet not moving a muscle when a non-sikh attacks us.

also, i'm sure some criminals, brothel owners and other untoward elements have worn gold in the punjab throughout the last 5 centuries and before. also, many akhalis were not exactly rich but still wore ear rings. we can all try and dissect what the gurus intentions were concerning the little things in their lives. but we will all have different opinions and end up going around in circles. rather, we should just live and let live, and concentrate on things that are really affecting the panth.

also, to the guy who mentioned giving gold to pigs, can you clarify what point you were trying to make?

"The thing is wearing earrings and gold jewellery does not carry the same significance as it did a 100 or 200 years ago. It does not cause an awe inspiring feeling, it does not influence others with respect. Because any insignificant nobody can wear gold. In short peoples values are different, and very debased, i think it is a mistake to ressurect past values into modern society, not only a mistake but dangerous, would you give gold kare to a pig he would probably eat them or shit on them."

Thats a good point - but pretty much every aspect of Sikhi - be it dress, kirtan, shastar vidya, ithihaas is available to pigs today, and there are many pigs that easily acquire these gifts which traditionally took many years of service and came with moral/responsibility upholding caveat – those who misused them were punished and made an example of.

I believe we can’t nor should hide from acquiring and sikh rvaaj if our heart is true and passion is real, irrelevant of how many ‘fakers’ are running around who may be grouped/classed with us. The enlightened will be able to discriminate – others, who cares what they think. Just to clarify, I am not talking about earings!