Is Satiguru Patented?

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!

Dear all!

For many Sikhs their Satiguru is God. Satiguru for them is also Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee.

In my last visit to Amritsar, I visited a book store and publication near Harimandar Saahib and requested for God in the original Form.

The salesman told me that exclusive rights to print Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee now belong to a management body.

My curiosity is to know. Is Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee now patented from Sikhs, for Sikhs?

Balbir Sing

Balbir Singh Jeeo, do you think that there should not be some sort of control over printing of Maharajs Svaroop in order to ensure people don't change/remove/add content, as was done during 5th Masters time by Bhai Banno, and more recently by the early Singh Sabhiya Bhasaur (although the latters editing was much, much worse as he actually removed Guru Maharajs content....?

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal,

Dear all and shaheediyan Jee!

My question is 'Is Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee now patented from Sikhs, for Sikhs?'

I will be grateful if you have information about this.

There are unaccountable number of wrong translations, interpretations and anarths available. Are these the results of uncontrolled printing of Maharajs Svaroop?

Quote from Amardeep Jee "I feel sorry for you that you live in such a black and white world."

The reverend Gurus sing about many colors in the cosmos. Why are you looking for dual colors in others?

Balbir Singh

I can understand both sides here. But who gave SGPC the 'rights'(-did they not make their own changes?); and if not them , who should manage the printing/publishing?

I also believe that in the recent past DGPC and some private companies have also been printing their own copies with all the problems that came with it: ie adverts being printed in the SGGS and the infamous photos of piles of SGGS stacked up in warehouses!

In years gone by even Sant Jagjit Singh ji urged the UK sangat to start printing SGGS here in the UK and not import from India due to the beadbi caused in transit. However, noone seems to have taken up the task.

Jattboot,

Its better that the 'responsibility' lies in one place where all can monitor it - be it that there is controversy. This way, when someone (a Mard) decides to question the administration etc, at least the debate/fight will only need to be in one known place – and it will simply be a matter of restoring control. Thereafter, ‘intelligent’ proposals can be investigated with the Panth adhering to agreed rules, this way Sant Jagjit Singh Jis excellent idea could also be implemented. But for anyone to have the authority to print, is madness.

Having a Patent on who compiles Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is a great way to do it. On problem that arises is, who will do it. And as a member has mentioned someone has violated this patent and sanctity of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji by putting in adverts. What was done about that, if any measures were taken. If the people who put the patent, which is SGPC, and they have not perserved the sanctity of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji then they should be punished. In the patent it should have that aswell. No institution is above Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

The same should be done for Dasam Granth and Sarbloh Granth. A patent to perserve the sanctity of Dasam Granth and Sarbloh Granth.

Who holds the patent is the most important part of the patent. SGPC is a corrupt institution on it's own. Can it be trusted, not just now, but 50 or 100 or 1000 years from now.

Also does anyone have the patent, so the sangat can read it. What was written in the patent is also important here. For how long is the patent valid. For Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji the patent should not be renewable or have in it nothing in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji can be added or taken out or changed in any form. There should be no time restaint on when this patent expires(be valid for eternity), unless the patent(refering to the one SGPC made) itself is wrong and does not hold the sanctity of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

One question, who put those advert in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and what kind of advert were they.