Heart Wrenching Picture Of This Kid..!

SAadmin

Here is the description of this picture:

This photo is the 'Pulitzer Prize' winning photo taken in 1994 during the Sudan famine. This picture depicts a famine stricken child crawling towards the United Nations food camp, located a kilometer away.

The vulture is waiting for the child to die, so he can eat it. No one knows what happened to the child in the end, including the photgrapher Kevin Carter who left the place as soon as the photo was taken.

Three months later he commited suicide due to depression.

post-3-126088844713_thumb.jpg

I want to start a discussion on this particular event, you think cameramen was right or wrong leaving this helpless kid to its fate? I am not sure the circumstances, he is criminally responsible for watching a tamasha of this child dying slowly and not doing anything about it. I wish he realized his mistake then and there and helped him instead of realizing it after 3 months and committing suicide.

Does anyone know what happened to this poor child?

Please discuss..!

According to the photographer who accompanied Kevin Carter, the vulture flew off and the child walked away. What became of the child, no one knows.

From the people who knew him, the photographer seems like he was more interested in making a name for himself than anything else, but it's still unfair to expect news reporters and photographers to do more than their job.

If he had saved that one child, why not the rest? What better way to accomplish such a monumental task than through showing the rest of the world through his photographs the horror of famine in Sudan?

K.

If he had saved that one child, why not the rest? What better way to accomplish such a monumental task than through showing the rest of the world through his photographs the horror of famine in Sudan?

He could have done both, save the kid and along with taking the picture.

Sorry, I meant save the child (and the rest of the Sudanese population) from famine. You know the child's parents were just a few yards away collecting food from a UN plane, right?

The story about the kid being miles away from any people and from food was a romanticised fictional account. It's been a while since I read about this, so I can't remember whether the photographer made it up or the media who published the photo. Even if it was the photographer who made this up for his own cynical ends, he still made the public think long and hard about the suffering of the Sudanese.

Edit: From wikipedia:

Again according to Silva [the photographer who was with him], Carter was quite shocked as it was the first time that he had seen a famine situation and so he took many shots of the children suffering from famine. Silva also started to take photos of children on the ground as if crying, which were not published. The parents of the children were busy taking food from the plane so they had left their children only briefly while they collected the food. This was the situation for the girl in the photo taken by Carter. A vulture landed behind the girl. To get the two in focus, Carter approached the scene very slowly so as not to scare the vulture away and took a photo from approximately 10 metres. He took a few more photos and then the vulture flew off.

This interview with Joao Silva was published in a book called The Boy who Became a Postcard by a Japanese journalist called Akio Fujiwara.

K.

Edited by Kaljug

The scary thing is that global warming may make such scenes even more common in future.

God protect us all.

I dont think its as simple as that. This child was not the only case of children and people starving. he was just one out of many and the photographer must have seen hundreds or thousands of kids like him. He could not have saved them all could he?

The west is to blame for the starvation of africa and asia

I personally think the reporter could have done much more rather than just take a picture and walk away. If our mentality is such that , why not save the world , which can be done but we need to start little by little .

The reporter could have informed UN food camp to supply food to the child, his family and others near by , isnt it better to save one life than none at all?

I personally think the reporter could have done much more rather than just take a picture and walk away. If our mentality is such that , why not save the world , which can be done but we need to start little by little .

The reporter could have informed UN food camp to supply food to the child, his family and others near by , isnt it better to save one life than none at all?

Did you even read Kaljug's post?

Girly sissy fight? Ouch! Yes famine is bad. Do punjabi farmers produce more than they can sell like the farmers in europe do? If we could set up an agricultural body in the west to use gurudwara money to give farmers a guaranteed price for their goods, the body could take the surplus and distribute it to famine-stricken country. Of course we have to be careful not to undercut their domestic producers, but i'm sure we could work that out on a case by case basis. Or am i just being over optimistic about the sikh pan-world nation?

N30 S!ngh , I agree with you 100% I apologise If any offense has come of HSDs petty comment

Let me just add HSD

yes , I know nothing

yes , I am not intelligent

and yes my brain farts , releases alot of natural gases

Let me also add , which is for your benefit ,and would control your temper , your ego , your narrow mindedness

1. If you read a thread , take out the best bits disgard the bits you dont like - quite simple really :blink:

2. N30 S!ingh posted

I want to start a discussion on this particular event, you think cameramen was right or wrong leaving this helpless kid to its fate?

So I put across my views , meaning the reporter could have put down his camera , even though the family were getting food from the UN camp , he could have still helped them.

Really --- its not a big deal , chill out geezer B)

I dont see the big deal in this comment , no big deal at all ? obviously you do

We should encourage all members on this forum to participate in topics whether they have alot / little knoweledge , repeat themselves, repeat themselves , repeat themselves, ask meaningless questions --- so what we are hear to learn .

Its when people start name calling , making assumptions puts the other readers off , and turns the topic into a personal battle , " whose comment is going to out smart the other persons'" this is all childish.

This thread was practically over with Kaljug's post. Maybe you should read an entire thread before posting. You in turn didnt have to respond to my comment, nor i to your response etc etc. Stop wasting time, we could both find more meaningful things to do than hurl comments about.