When Exactly Is Amrit Vela?

Today at 7.10 AM GMT the sky was black, it was night. It is now 7.20 Am and the sky is in that beautiful way where the sun is just rising and half of the sky is still night whilst the other is brightening a beautiful sky blue behind dark clouds.

I think amrit vela is the hours leading to sunrise. Is this right? Does that mean it changes slightly through the seasons also?

Was 7.10 this morning still amrit vela? In relation to nitnem what exactly is amrit vela?

Thanks in advance to responders.

PS - Do I HAVE TO sit cross legged when doing paath or can I sit on a chair?

Edited by dalsingh101

Amrit vela begins from 0015 and stretches to about 0330 - 0400. It's the last 'pehr' of the night and independant of season. The time from 0300 - 0600 is also considered to be Amrit vela by some, but the benefits you receive from having Ishnan become less as time passes - the earlier, the better.

You don't have to sit cross-legged, but it you should if you can, and keep your back straight at 90 degrees to the ground. This helps you stay awake, concentrate, makes breathing easier and if you should enter samadhi, the body is self-supported and continues breathing. Even if you sit on a chair, keep your back straight.

Thanks Matheen

So essentially, I have to get out of bed before 6.00 AM at latest?

I know I am asking a lot of questions but I am finding the way sihari is used in Gurbani strangely throwing me off my reading? Is this something anyone else has experienced? It is hard to describe. Plus at the moment I am listening to mp3s and following from my gutka reading out loud when possible (must drive flatmate mad! lol). I'm finding it hard to keep up at places. Is this common when starting or am I doing something incorrect?

Sorry but I really want to try and do this properly.

That's a start, but cut back the time step by step - maybe by 1 minute a day until you get to around 2am. You can also do Kirtan Sohila at aroung 1145pm, rest a bit and have Ishnan at 0015 or 0030, then do your Simran etc and go to bed. Then get up in the morning, have a quick shower and carry on with the day.

I know I am asking a lot of questions but I am finding the way sihari is used in Gurbani strangely throwing me off my reading? Is this something anyone else has experienced?

I haven't myself, lol.

at the moment I am listening to mp3s and following from my gutka ....

Which mp3s? There may be some that are a bit slower, but you'll soon be able to keep up/

I got the mp3s from the rajkaregakhalsa.net youtube posts. I converted the video to mp3.

I'm taking a sabbatical to nail my Panjabi properly, been putting it off for too long. If I don't do it now, never will.

That's a start, but cut back the time step by step - maybe by 1 minute a day until you get to around 2am. You can also do Kirtan Sohila at aroung 1145pm, rest a bit and have Ishnan at 0015 or 0030, then do your Simran etc and go to bed. Then get up in the morning, have a quick shower and carry on with the day.

I'm naturally quite a late sleeper so I prefer to do my bani in the morning, besides it sort off starts the day off better.

Edited by dalsingh101

You may be able to find a santhiya teacher in East London - will make it much easier to learn Punjabi properly and the proper pronuncialtion of GUrbani as well. Also, there is complete Santhiya avalable in mp3 on gurmatveechar.com and gurbaniseva.com as well - not as good as the real thing, but still useful.

Regarding Amrit vela/ simran etc - check out the links I posted in your topic about SImran.

"I'm taking a sabbatical to nail my Panjabi properly, been putting it off for too long."

That's commendable. Well done.

Amritvela (in time aspect) should be looked upon in terms of the duniyaavi clock i.e. when the world wakes and sleeps. This does not vary with the seasons, it may of done in old times, but not in this modern age.

The world generally sleeps between 12pm and 6am. It is this period which should be utilised according to our ability/progress. Personally, I have found doing simran and NITNEM in one go and not going back to sleep is more effective, as the simran prepares your mind for the concentration required to be able to fully focus on your NITNEM. But different strokes for different folks I guess. But when you have light sleeping, early waking little kids, things change, I am still trying to crack that one.

Regarding your posture during simran, since ancient times right through to today, the Padma or Arda Padma Asana (depending on your ability) has always been the standardised posture used for simran. The Padma (or Lotus) has a deep symbolic significance in the Indian tradition – as it signifies the journey of purity (or light) out of chaos (or darkness) just as the perfect and pavittar lotus blossoms out of the rancid pond. Physically, the asana also provides the optimum posture for serious meditations through the relevant chakkars. If we are able to, we should definitely make effort to adopt this posture during simran, the same way we adopt (at the very least) the loose version, when sitting in Maharjs hazuri.

How do I attach files to posts? I have a pdf guide that shows how to sit in full lotus (padamasan) step by step.

Try using the 'attachments' function at the bottom of the reply editor. (click the replt button under this post, rather than use the Fast Reply box at the bottom)

Edited by Matheen

Thanks Matheen

I know I am asking a lot of questions but I am finding the way sihari is used in Gurbani strangely throwing me off my reading? Is this something anyone else has experienced? It is hard to describe. Plus at the moment I am listening to mp3s and following from my gutka reading out loud when possible (must drive flatmate mad! lol). I'm finding it hard to keep up at places. Is this common when starting or am I doing something incorrect?

Sorry but I really want to try and do this properly.

If you're having problems keeping pace, try Gyani Thakur Singh Ji's Santhyia Nitnem. It's done at a nice, slow pace. Roughly 30 minutes for JapJi sahib and same for Jaap Sahib. Total 5 Bani end up being 1:30.

http://www.gurbaniupdesh.org/multimedia/downloads.php

Go to Gurbani Ucharan, Gyani Takhur Singh JI, Santhyea Ucharan.

If you're having problems keeping pace, try Gyani Thakur Singh Ji's Santhyia Nitnem. It's done at a nice, slow pace. Roughly 30 minutes for JapJi sahib and same for Jaap Sahib. Total 5 Bani end up being 1:30.

Go to Gurbani Ucharan, Gyani Takhur Singh JI, Santhyea Ucharan.

Thanks a lot for that. Was struggling with Jaap Sahib. This makes it easier for me.

Xyl, it would be cool if you send the lotus position guide, even though I am like 90% less bendy than I was 10 years ago and will probably struggle.

Another question, do you guys do ardas when you do Rehras?

Matheen, about this:

So, just to be clear. I could do all my 5 morning bania in the early early hours (say 0045), go to sleep and wake up like 7.00 o'clock and carry on with my day?

So, just to be clear. I could do all my 5 morning bania in the early early hours (say 0045), go to sleep and wake up like 7.00 o'clock and carry on with my day?

Yes, but you have to have ishnan first - roughly 0015 at the earliest, when the new day starts. I don't remember the exact verse, but there is a shabad (posted below) which hints that we should start with Ishnan--> Simran --> read/ sing Gurbani.

So you could do your Nitnem early, then rest/sleep for a bit then get up and carry on with the rest of your day. You can even have ishnan, do your simran, rest, then do your Nitnem. This helps if you're used to sleeping long hours and you want to cut down how much you sleep.

ਮਃ ੪ ॥

मः ४ ॥

Mėhlā 4.

Fourth Mehl:

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

गुर सतिगुर का जो सिखु अखाए सु भलके उठि हरि नामु धिआवै ॥

Gur saṯgur kā jo sikẖ akẖā▫e so bẖalke uṯẖ har nām ḏẖi▫āvai.

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥

उदमु करे भलके परभाती इसनानु करे अम्रित सरि नावै ॥

Uḏam kare bẖalke parbẖāṯī isnān kare amriṯ sar nāvai.

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ ॥

उपदेसि गुरू हरि हरि जपु जापै सभि किलविख पाप दोख लहि जावै ॥

Upḏes gurū har har jap jāpai sabẖ kilvikẖ pāp ḏokẖ lėh jāvai.

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

फिरि चड़ै दिवसु गुरबाणी गावै बहदिआ उठदिआ हरि नामु धिआवै ॥

Fir cẖaṛai ḏivas gurbāṇī gāvai bahḏi▫ā uṯẖ▫ḏi▫ā har nām ḏẖi▫āvai.

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥

जो सासि गिरासि धिआए मेरा हरि हरि सो गुरसिखु गुरू मनि भावै ॥

Jo sās girās ḏẖi▫ā▫e merā har har so gursikẖ gurū man bẖāvai.

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

Thanks for that!

So I must do simran first. How much do people do?

Then, ideally, I should be doing panj bania around the time the sun rises?

Has anyone got a clear version of Tav Prasaad and Anand Sahib done to a lively tabla. I think it helps to learn quicker if you sing along. I heard some good ones on the Gurbani updesh site but the words weren't too clear. I like the first Bhai Baldev Singh's Anand (first one) but need clearer voice if possible?

ਆਖਹਿ ਮੰਗਹਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਦਾਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਦਾਤਾਰੁ ॥

People beg and pray, "Give to us, give to us", and the Great Giver gives His Gifts.

ਫੇਰਿ ਕਿ ਅਗੈ ਰਖੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਦਿਸੈ ਦਰਬਾਰੁ ॥

So what offering can we place before Him, by which we might see the Darbaar of His Court?

ਮੁਹੌ ਕਿ ਬੋਲਣੁ ਬੋਲੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਸੁਣਿ ਧਰੇ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥

What words can we speak to evoke His Love?

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥

In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.

ਕਰਮੀ ਆਵੈ ਕਪੜਾ ਨਦਰੀ ਮੋਖੁ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥

By the karma of past actions, the robe of this physical body is obtained. By His Grace, the Gate of Liberation is found.

ਨਾਨਕ ਏਵੈ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਸਭੁ ਆਪੇ ਸਚਿਆਰੁ ॥੪॥

O Nanak, know this well: the True One Himself is All. ||4||

ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਤੇ ਹਰਿ ਮਨਿ ਵਸੈ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਲਇਆ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥੧॥

By Guru's Grace, the Lord comes to dwell in the mind; He cannot be obtained in any other way. ||1||

ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਸੰਚੀਐ ਭਾਈ ॥

So gather in the wealth of the Lord, O Siblings of Destiny,

ਜਿ ਹਲਤਿ ਪਲਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਹੋਇ ਸਖਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

so that in this world and the next, the Lord shall be your friend and companion. ||1||Pause||

ਸਤਸੰਗਤੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਖਟੀਐ ਹੋਰ ਥੈ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਉਪਾਇ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਕਿਤੈ ਨ ਪਾਈ ॥

In the company of the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation, you shall earn the wealth of the Lord; this wealth of the Lord is not obtained anywhere else, by any other means, at all.

ਹਰਿ ਰਤਨੈ ਕਾ ਵਾਪਾਰੀਆ ਹਰਿ ਰਤਨ ਧਨੁ ਵਿਹਾਝੇ ਕਚੈ ਕੇ ਵਾਪਾਰੀਏ ਵਾਕਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਲਇਆ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥੨॥

The dealer in the Lord's Jewels purchases the wealth of the Lord's jewels; the dealer in cheap glass jewels cannot acquire the Lord's wealth by empty words. ||2||

ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਰਤਨੁ ਜਵੇਹਰੁ ਮਾਣਕੁ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੈ ਵਤੈ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤੀ ਹਰਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਈ ॥

The Lord's wealth is like jewels, gems and rubies. At the appointed time in the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours of the morning, the Lord's devotees lovingly center their attention on the Lord, and the wealth of the Lord.

ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੈ ਵਤੈ ਕਾ ਬੀਜਿਆ ਭਗਤ ਖਾਇ ਖਰਚਿ ਰਹੇ ਨਿਖੁਟੈ ਨਾਹੀ ॥

The devotees of the Lord plant the seed of the Lord's wealth in the ambrosial hours of the Amrit Vaylaa; they eat it, and spend it, but it is never exhausted.

ਹਲਤਿ ਪਲਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੈ ਕੀ ਭਗਤਾ ਕਉ ਮਿਲੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥੩॥

In this world and the next, the devotees are blessed with glorious greatness, the wealth of the Lord. ||3||

ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਹੈ ਸਾਚਾ ਇਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਅਗਨੀ ਤਸਕਰੈ ਪਾਣੀਐ ਜਮਦੂਤੈ ਕਿਸੈ ਕਾ ਗਵਾਇਆ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥

The wealth of the Fearless Lord is permanent, forever and ever, and true. This wealth of the Lord cannot be destroyed by fire or water; neither thieves nor the Messenger of Death can take it away.

ਹਰਿ ਧਨ ਕਉ ਉਚਕਾ ਨੇੜਿ ਨ ਆਵਈ ਜਮੁ ਜਾਗਾਤੀ ਡੰਡੁ ਨ ਲਗਾਈ ॥੪॥

Thieves cannot even approach the Lord's wealth; Death, the tax collector cannot tax it. ||4||

ਸਾਕਤੀ ਪਾਪ ਕਰਿ ਕੈ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਧਨੁ ਸੰਚਿਆ ਤਿਨਾ ਇਕ ਵਿਖ ਨਾਲਿ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥

The faithless cynics commit sins and gather in their poisonous wealth, but it shall not go along with them for even a single step.

ਹਲਤੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਸਾਕਤ ਦੁਹੇਲੇ ਭਏ ਹਥਹੁ ਛੁੜਕਿ ਗਇਆ ਅਗੈ ਪਲਤਿ ਸਾਕਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਗਹ ਢੋਈ ਨ ਪਾਈ ॥੫॥

In this world, the faithless cynics become miserable, as it slips away through their hands. In the world hereafter, the faithless cynics find no shelter in the Court of the Lord. ||5||

ਇਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਧਨ ਕਾ ਸਾਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਆਪਿ ਹੈ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦੇਇ ਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਲਦਿ ਚਲਾਈ ॥

The Lord Himself is the Banker of this wealth, O Saints; when the Lord gives it, the mortal loads it and takes it away.

ਇਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੈ ਕਾ ਤੋਟਾ ਕਦੇ ਨ ਆਵਈ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਉ ਗੁਰਿ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਾਈ ॥੬॥੩॥੧੦॥

This wealth of the Lord is never exhausted; the Guru has given this understanding to servant Nanak. ||6||3||10||

ਅਠੀ ਪਹਰੀ ਅਠ ਖੰਡ ਨਾਵਾ ਖੰਡੁ ਸਰੀਰੁ ॥

Twenty-four hours a day, destroy the eight things, and in the ninth place, conquer the body.

ਤਿਸੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਏਕੁ ਭਾਲਹਿ ਗੁਣੀ ਗਹੀਰੁ ॥

Within the body are the nine treasures of the Name of the Lord-seek the depths of these virtues.

ਕਰਮਵੰਤੀ ਸਾਲਾਹਿਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਰਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੀਰੁ ॥

Those blessed with the karma of good actions praise the Lord. O Nanak, they make the Guru their spiritual teacher.

ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰਿ ਸਬਾਹ ਕੈ ਸੁਰਤਿਆ ਉਪਜੈ ਚਾਉ ॥

In the fourth watch of the early morning hours, a longing arises in their higher consciousness.

ਤਿਨਾ ਦਰੀਆਵਾ ਸਿਉ ਦੋਸਤੀ ਮਨਿ ਮੁਖਿ ਸਚਾ ਨਾਉ ॥

They are attuned to the river of life; the True Name is in their minds and on their lips.

ਓਥੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਵੰਡੀਐ ਕਰਮੀ ਹੋਇ ਪਸਾਉ ॥

The Ambrosial Nectar is distributed, and those with good karma receive this gift.

ਕੰਚਨ ਕਾਇਆ ਕਸੀਐ ਵੰਨੀ ਚੜੈ ਚੜਾਉ ॥

Their bodies become golden, and take on the color of spirituality.

ਜੇ ਹੋਵੈ ਨਦਰਿ ਸਰਾਫ ਕੀ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਪਾਈ ਤਾਉ ॥

If the Jeweler casts His Glance of Grace, they are not placed in the fire again.

ਸਤੀ ਪਹਰੀ ਸਤੁ ਭਲਾ ਬਹੀਐ ਪੜਿਆ ਪਾਸਿ ॥

Throughout the other seven watches of the day, it is good to speak the Truth, and sit with the spiritually wise.

ਓਥੈ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੀਐ ਕੂੜੈ ਘਟੈ ਰਾਸਿ ॥

There, vice and virtue are distinguished, and the capital of falsehood is decreased.

ਓਥੈ ਖੋਟੇ ਸਟੀਅਹਿ ਖਰੇ ਕੀਚਹਿ ਸਾਬਾਸਿ ॥

There, the counterfeit are cast aside, and the genuine are cheered.

ਬੋਲਣੁ ਫਾਦਲੁ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਦੁਖੁ ਸੁਖੁ ਖਸਮੈ ਪਾਸਿ ॥੧॥

Speech is vain and useless. O Nanak, pain and pleasure are in the power of our Lord and Master. ||1||

pdf file on how to prep the body step by step to sit in lotus position (padam asan).

There is also something called ZHealth which is a series of scientifically designed exercises designed to increase mobility and flexibility using knowledge of nerve centres. It has great reviews online, I'm planning on purchasing a module of this, I'll let you guys know how good it is once I've used it for a month or two.

LOTUS PREPARATIONS.pdf

pdf file on how to prep the body step by step to sit in lotus position (padam asan).

There is also something called ZHealth which is a series of scientifically designed exercises designed to increase mobility and flexibility using knowledge of nerve centres. It has great reviews online, I'm planning on purchasing a module of this, I'll let you guys know how good it is once I've used it for a month or two.

Thanks a lot for sharing this. Lotus position seems like the ideal position to sit in for meditation. The legs get locked in and the back does not pain as much as the regular cross legged sitting position.