More Problems For Canadian Sikhs

SAadmin

source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/04/16/bc-vaisakhi-parade-threats-dosanjh-hayer.html

This is getting unbearable.. who are these people threatning mps?? We seriously need spokesman who represent all Canadian Sikh Community apointed by jathedars of takht sahib so they can condemn this id iot. I don't like comrad views of dosanjh and hayer on sikhi but threatening mps for attending nagar kirtan its ridiculous and shows true face of fascism should condemn at all levels. Besides, Our community cannot afford more negative media than there is already.

B.C. premier demands apology

source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/04/16/bc-vaisakhi-parade-threats-dosanjh-hayer.html

B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell says he won't attend a Sikh parade in Surrey on Saturday unless there is a formal apology from organizers for a perceived threat against two other politicians.

"Unless there has been a direct apology to the two individuals that were mentioned ... I would find it difficult agreeing to go," Campbell said Friday.

An organizer of the annual Vaisakhi parade told a Punjabi radio station Thursday that Liberal MP Ujjal Dosanjh and B.C. Liberal MLA Dave Hayer were not invited to the event and were responsible for their own safety.

"They have never been invited," Inderjit Singh Bains said during an interview on Radio Sher-e Punjab "If they come, they need to bring their own security."

Organizers are denying that any threat was implied.

Both Dosanjh and Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts have lodged complaints with the RCMP about the comments.

The parade has a history of controversy because of its support for Sikh militants in India. Both Dosanjh and Hayer are Indo-Canadians who have distanced themselves from the militant movement.

Never attended parade: Dosanjh

Dosanjh said he has never been to the parade since he lives in Vancouver and only occasionally attends the yearly religious celebration there.

"I'm not very religious. So for the organizers to pick on someone like me and Dave Hayer out of the blue … and say if you come, your security is on your own … implies a certain degree of threat — that some violence may happen to you," Dosanjh told CBC Radio on Friday afternoon.

In 1985 Dosanjh, who was a lawyer at the time, was severely beaten for speaking out against militancy in the Indo-Canadian community.

Dave Hayer's father was a newspaper publisher who was shot dead in his garage in Surrey after he refused to be silenced in his criticisms of hard-line Sikh nationalists operating in Canada.

"It may in fact be a prompt for violence for people who hate me or dislike me," Dosanjh said. "I don't know if it's criminal or quasi-criminal. I felt out of concern that I should send it to the RCMP and I did."

Temple denies allegations

On Friday another parade organizer, Moninder Singh of the Dasmesh Darbar temple, said the matter was a misunderstanding and no threats had been made.

Parade organizer Moninder Singh says no threats have been made and the politicians are welcome. (Meera Bains/CBC)

"There is no invitation that's sent, so we can't really invite somebody to come, and if they show up there is nothing stopping them from attending," Singh said. "Technically at the end of the day, the RCMP and security services are all throughout the parade and they ensure the safety of everyone there, so those comments I think are taken out of context."

Singh said parade organizers don't condone violence and the politicians are welcome to come if they wish.

"We personally aren't going to provide any type of security for any MP or anybody that decides to come to the event," he said.

Controversy keeps politicians away

In years past the parade, which marks the Sikh new year, attracted a slew of political figures, including the premier, MPs and the mayor.

But in 2007 Liberal, Conservative and New Democrat politicians who attended the parade faced political embarrassment after a photo of alleged Air India bombing mastermind Talwinder Singh Parmar was displayed on a float.

At the time Dosanjh said police should investigate the incident. The following year Surrey officials sent letters to politicians warning them the parade would again include controversial images.

A 2008 Vaisakhi display in Surrey, B.C., includes images of two Sikh men who assassinated Indira Gandhi among photographs of men considered Sikh martyrs. (Meera Bains/CBC)

While Parmar's photo was not displayed on a parade float last year, organizers did set up a separate tent on the grounds of the Dasmesh Darbar temple for a controversial display that included photographs of the founders of the Babbar Khalsa and the International Sikh Youth Federation, groups Canada considers terrorist organizations.

Parade organizers have reportedly said that this year every float would include the flag of Khalistan and images of martyrs, said by their supporters to be heroes of the armed struggle by Sikh extremists to carve out an independent nation called Khalistan in the Indian state of Punjab.

Dasmesh Darbar gurdwara lost its status as a charitable organisation b/c of support for Khalistan. Their reaction may have to do with bitterness regarding that.

just a note, cbc news is sometimes warm, and sometimes downright frosty in coverage of the sikh community.

Seems like these MPs believed that the following statement implied some sort of threat towards them:

"They have never been invited," Inderjit Singh Bains said during an interview on Radio Sher-e Punjab "If they come, they need to bring their own security."

I see no implied or explicit threat in that statement at all. If the MPs were not invited, naturally they would have to bring their own security. Why should the organisers spend the sangat's money on security for people who are not welcome?

It looks like some people are blowing an innocent comment out of proportion for their own agendas.

To me it seems that Canada has become the political vassal of India.

K.

Edited by Kaljug

Tell you what. From over here it looks like you Canadian Sikhs have got serious political clout over there.

How long before you have a Sikh Prime Minister do you reckon?

From the statement I don't see any threat being made by anyone. It seems that the sell-outs, Hayer and Dosanjh are just trying to play martyr as usual.

Plus I must add, if Panthic Singhs can just sometime act a little Syaanaa concearning media, we would have it a alot easier. The Garam Singh who decided to not care about the media's anti-Sikh reaction when he used his Kirpan against Mangat in the Sikh Zeher Center incident should have been more responsible, because now the whole Qaum is suffering as a result. The Singh who used the Kirpan did bad, but the Kala Afghanis also did equally bad when they brought this issue to the media not thinking once that Goray just love it when Punjabi Sikhs trash each other in the media like this. The whole Quam is suffering as a result of irresponsible people from both sides.

In the changed atmosphere Ujjal dosanjh is less damaging than Dahsmesh darbar.

Dashmesh Darbar is supporting Ragi adrshan's blasphemic acts and invite Harjinder dilgeer

to speak in gurudwara.They do not ahve interest of sikhs at heart.May be They are playing politics

to bring down image of Sikhs.

What do you suggest as a long term strategy to combat the dissenters/detractors that periodically pop up Singh2?

Even after Darshan fades away, another phudhu will pop up sooner or later. What is your view on public relations/media type issues in the west?

What do you suggest as a long term strategy to combat the dissenters/detractors that periodically pop up Singh2?

Even after Darshan fades away, another phudhu will pop up sooner or later. What is your view on public relations/media type issues in the west?

There are two things

1 Abnormal things do happen.All are not saints. We should not be unduly concerned about stary acts of violence.If someone commits that law will take care of that.

2 This act of some to issue an indirect threat to some so that they do not appear at parade seems to be settling political score in the name of religion. Thius should eb condemned in the strongest possible language.This is pure thuggery especially when these peopel are themselves not clean.

Having said this you also need to read a book soft target.The book details how some sikhs become pliable at hands of its enemies for fringe benefits.Apart from promoting sikhism We need to encourage sikhs to go for good education also.Presently ther is ghetto type mentality among many sikhs in BC area of canada and there is rampant gang mentality going on wher many precious lives have been lost.

Edited by singh2

1 Abnormal things do happen.All are not saints. We should not be unduly concerned about stary acts of violence.If someone commits that law will take care of that.

The thing with that approach is that is doesn't acknowledge or grasp the fact that in western society a subtle game of reputation ruination takes place. In order to ensure that the power holding whites and indeed other communities do not support others they will play on stereotypes/defamation of corporate character. These can have much wider implications. Like showing Sikhs to be irrational, violent and aggressive can make the Khalistan cause to become a politically undesirable one for example.

2 This act of some to issue an indirect threat to some so that they do not appear at parade seems to be settling political score in the name of religion. Thius should eb condemned in the strongest possible language.This is pure thuggery especially when these peopel are themselves not clean.

You have to be consistent Singh2. Violence can't be condoned in one situation and then condemned in another. (That's not taking away SIkh right to use the sword when all avenues have failed btw). I just think we need a different strategy in the west. A more circumspect one. Open violence or threats don't seem like an option to me. What I think may have happened with the parade is that guy basically said that, "if that Dosanjh guy turned up, given what he has said before, he is liable to get slapped about by someone, we aren't taking any responsibility."

Having said this you also need to read a book soft target.The book details how some sikhs become pliable at hands of its enemies for fringe benefits.

This is standard procedure in the UK, they will seek out and patronise the dissenters/detractors here. The mainstream view is made to look backward.

Presently ther is ghetto type mentality among many sikhs in BC area of canada and there is rampant gang mentality going on wher many precious lives have been lost.

A part of this is down to the false caste vichaar that took place in the 80s. These dumb kids see themselves as scythian warriors and are acting out their macho fantasies a lot of the time. Excessive emphasis on material wealth that characterises our Panjabi community also plays its part.

Like I said Canadians have it lucky, if that stuff was going on in the UK, we'd never hear the end of it. Many goray would be vocally protesting to throw us out of the country for it. lol

You have to be consistent Singh2. Violence can't be condoned in one situation and then condemned in another. (That's not taking away SIkh right to use the sword when all avenues have failed btw). I just think we need a different strategy in the west. A more circumspect one. Open violence or threats don't seem like an option to me. What I think may have happened with the parade is that guy basically said that, "if that Dosanjh guy turned up, given what he has said before, he is liable to get slapped about by someone, we aren't taking any responsibility."

I did no condone violence in any situation.If so pleae oint out it tom me.Do not make things on your own.

These parades are melas and such melas are really not necessary in my view.

I did no condone violence in any situation.If so pleae oint out it tom me.Do not make things on your own.

These parades are melas and such melas are really not necessary in my view.

Okay don't get defensive for no reason. Those melas seem to be major unifying social events for the community though. I think such a large gathering is a good thing to demonstrate some level of cohesion in the panth to outsiders. Very powerful.

In my view USA/canada and UK are not same.US and Canada are countires of immigrants.So public perception is different.Hence we should not see this problem from the same angle.

No I'm understanding that. I have to say, the grass doesn't half seem greener over there! lol

I will visit Canada soon.

these guys have had a back and forth for awhile. dasmesh darbar guys prevented dosanjh from speaking on stage one year... i think dosanjh criticised the pictures of shaheeds in the langar hall. i don't know who started it but there is always something going on.

What I want to know is: Is it even possible to be a mainstream western politician and be pro-Khalistani or shall we say pro Sikh self-determination?