Average Jatt Sikh Male - 5-7

kdsingh80

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3190178

Body measurements and somatotypes of young adult Jat-Sikh men of Punjab, India.

Singh SP, Sidhu LS, Malhotra P.

Department of Human Biology, Punjabi University, Patiala, India.

Abstract

During 1972 body measurements including height, weight, limb circumferences, skeletal diameters and skinfolds were taken on 100 unrelated and healthy Jat-Sikh men of 17 to 25 years of age, belonging to different areas of Punjab, India. The average height and weight of Jat-Sikhs is 170.4 cm and 54.5 kg, respectively. The mean Heath-Carter somatotype is 3.22-3.40-4.11. The majority of somatotypes is concentrated in endo-ectomorph and meso-ectomorph sectors of the somatochart. Comparisons with recently described data on females of the same area and population show significant sex differences in various body measurements except for the bicristal diameter. The females possess significantly more subcutaneous fat. For the rest of the measurements, the males have higher values. The Jat-Sikh males are comparable in height and weight to the contemporary pooled Punjabi, but are distinctly taller than the neighbouring populations of Himachal Pradesh and pooled all India samples. However, they are comparatively smaller and lighter as compared to European and American populations.

I don't know guys. I think Panjabis in general, not just Jats seem to be getting smaller. Whereas before the quom seems to have been noticed for its gubroos (read Jangnama's reference to 'lion limbed youth' and some Anglo-Sikh accounts, i.e. one referring to the charging of the artillery in the first war and the chunky Singhs encountered by the goray). Can we say the same in the world we inhabit today?

Maybe all the demoralisation and poison chemicals in the Panjab thurthee play a part? I know from where I live, many Polish immigrants tower over Panjabis, including Jats in a big way? That isn't to say that you can't find gubroos, but today these seem to be of every jaat - apart from those brothers who own all the tatt shops in London that sell weird, wonderfully garish and usually tasteless goods like fancy mirrors, cushions, costume jewellery, stuffed tiger dolls and Taj Mahal coffee tables etc.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot - those colourful fibre optic lamps too. lol

Afterthought: I'm wondering if a lot of stereotyping goes on amongst us with regard to the physical characteristics of different jaats. I've found that any one family usually has a wide variety of shapes and sizes myself. And as a teacher I often found Tarkhan and Bhatra boys who were significantly taller than any of their Jat colleagues?

Maybe better diets overall for all jaats is evening things out in the west? I mean it makes sense that Jats had access to more food than others in the past.

Besides when are we going to get away from all of that caste based presumptions? It isn't like it doesn't play havoc with cohesion?

Edited by dalsingh101

• 11 years later...

i don't know if Panjabi males are getting smaller, but 5ft7 is definitely not true. Maybe just biased against Sikhs. 

Even in India, my relatives and extended family, there's only two below 5ft7; the remainder are at least that much, I reckon the average is prob 5"9-5"10

1 hour ago, paapiman said:

Do you think that this Extremist Lacto-vegetarian ideology, which had become prevalent in the Sikh Panth, also contributed to physical/mental weakness in the Panth? Think about it, Jatts (on average) could still get plenty of nutrients, if they had many cows, buffaloes, fresh wheat, rice, etc; which might not have been possible for many people belonging to non-agricultural castes. But, if these people had a habit of eating Jhatka meat, then maybe they would have been, on average, more taller and stronger.

Bhul chuk maaf

Nope 

I know many lifelong vegetarians in the UK who are above 6 foot and are taller than most people who eat meat. 

I don't think meat can be good for the mind at all, jhatka or non-jhatka

1 hour ago, Premi said:

Nope 

I know many lifelong vegetarians in the UK who are above 6 foot and are taller than most people who eat meat. 

Daas is was referring  to olden times. Now, it is easy for us to say Lacto-vegetarian diet is completely fine, as we can consume a variety of multi-vitamins and minerals, whenever needed.

It is possible that many Lacto-vegetarians in the past were not completely healthy. Not eating meat/fish/eggs (even for heath reasons) might have made the situation even more worse. 

Extremist Lacto-vegetarianism is completely against Gurmat.

Bhul chuk maaf

11 hours ago, paapiman said:

Daas is was referring  to olden times. Now, it is easy for us to say Lacto-vegetarian diet is completely fine, as we can consume a variety of multi-vitamins and minerals, whenever needed.

It is possible that many Lacto-vegetarians in the past were not completely healthy. Not eating meat/fish/eggs (even for heath reasons) might have made the situation even more worse. 

Extremist Lacto-vegetarianism is completely against Gurmat.

Bhul chuk maaf

Olden times, the food was more 'wholesome' /less adulterated .

So, they were likely getting more nutrition from what they ate than we do now.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7979492/

Arch Dis Child
 1994 Sep;71(3):207-10.

doi: 10.1136/adc.71.3.207.

Preschool weights and heights of Europeans and five subgroups of Asians in Britain

Affiliations expand
Free PMC article

Abstract

Heights and weights of five subgroups of Asian (545) and European children (685) were recorded after birth, at 1 year, 2 years, and at 5 years. Asian children were divided into Muslim Gujarati, Muslim Pakistani, Muslim Bangladeshi, Hindu, and Sikh. Although the Europeans were significantly the heaviest at birth (3.42 kg boys and 3.26 kg girls) when compared with any of the other groups, it was the Sikhs who had the best weight gain. They were also the heaviest at 5 years when compared with other groups, including the Europeans (20.13 kg and 19.22 kg for Sikh boys and girls respectively compared with 18.83 kg and 18.42 kg for European boys and girls respectively). Hindus had the lightest birth weight. Their weight at 5 years (17.41 kg boys and 16.93 kg girls) and that of the Muslim Gujaratis (17.27 kg boys and 17.20 kg girls) was comparable and was lowest, whereas that of the Bangladeshis at this age was the greatest among the Muslims (18.56 kg for boys and 17.87 kg for girls).

Sikh boys and girls were found to be the tallest of all the groups, including the Europeans, at all periods of measurements