Guru Nanaks Udasis

SURYADEV

The big question for me has always been - exactly what kind of mind or 'sharda' is it that allows one to totally disregard ANY faculties for establishing sat (in the name of Sikhi) and causes them to create or propagate untrue stories, which invariably result in other Sikhs losing faith a few generations down the line, when they realise that that which they had been taught as truth has turned out to be untrue on closer inspection?

And yes, this is possibly the longest sentence I have ever written. Laddoo distribution is in order.

Edited by dalsingh101

The big question for me has always been - exactly what kind of mind or 'sharda' is it that allows one to totally disregard ANY faculties for establishing sat (in the name of Sikhi) and causes them to create or propagate untrue stories, which invariably result in other Sikhs losing faith a few generations down the line, when they realise that that which they had been taught as truth has turned out to be untrue on closer inspection?

And yes, this is possibly the longest sentence I have ever written. Laddoo distribution is in order.

Considering a career as a statute law-writer? Or a detention for bad english/lack of punctuations

There was an article about a stone plaque in istanbul, turkey that commemorates Guru Nanaks visit there. Haven't heard about that for a while.

But I do agree with Dalsingh here though. Janam Sakhis state guru's travels throughout the universe. But If these authors are making such evidenced claims at least there should be proper/real evidence given.

Considering a career as a statute law-writer? Or a detention for bad english/lack of punctuations

There was an article about a stone plaque in istanbul, turkey that commemorates Guru Nanaks visit there. Haven't heard about that for a while.

But I do agree with Dalsingh here though. Janam Sakhis state guru's travels throughout the universe. But If these authors are making such evidenced claims at least there should be proper/real evidence given.

I think there is possibly some mind type that finds no problem with 'stretching' the truth to give themselves and others some sort of exhilaration with the claims being made? I can't see how this translates as faith if so high a value is placed on sat in Sikhi. I think it is dangerous as well because you can boost kids up with such tall stories but when the facts come out, there is a price to pay. We must of all met young guys (possibly girls too?) who turn around and say "Yeh, my mum/dad/grandma told me this and then I found out that it wasn't true", then you usually witness loss or suspicion of faith or some other negative impact.

Besides, by implication the people who conjure such stories seem to be indicating that they do not feel that a grounded, 'critical' analysis of Sikhi is able to stand up on its own, which is complete nonsense. If any faith stands up after all that, it is ours. There is no need to stretch the truth as what is fact is amazing by itself anyway.

Without becoming reductionalist obsessives (and making ourselves acutely aware of just how much damage that approach has done to Anglican Christianity!!!), in this era of nijaj and tark, restraint and meticulous scrutiny is a sound policy. This doesn't need to have any negative impact on a Sikh's faith like some people make out.

...sorry...I'll get off the soapbox now but it is something I believe to be very important.....lol

:blush:

Edited by dalsingh101

PS - Jattboot

I'm a little bit particular about our people's writing skills because I'm sick and tired of seeing apnay writing like this:

"Yeah blud flannah came round and did some wiked parchaar innit!"

Or when Khalistan is being discussed on some nonSikh forum and you get flooded with messages of the following type for the whole world to see, that reinforce the stereotype of a dumbass mota dimaag sardar/sardarni:

"Yeh u manz don't knows what ur talking about blud. Sikhs are warriors innit and like the hindus want to finish them innit. But we r not dealing with that innit. Cos we r sick warriorz yeh!"

Edited by dalsingh101

I saw these claims that sri guru nanak dev ji met martin luther king and visited vatican at khalsa divan new west minister gurdwara in BC, Canada.

Can someone please shed some light on to this claim with sources?

Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji is Sarab Vypak Vahiguroo Ji. There is no doubt in my mind about that but when it comes to historical visit, its better to get sources on these claims before these claims get challenged and potentially refuted by non sikh bodies.