3 Sikh Channels In The Uk

shaheediyan

I dont know the ins and outs of RA and SC , thats between them , but I was also learning from RA and your ustaad , he is very very good , RA comes across as very professional but on my personal experience it failed to deliver what it initially advertised , very sad indeed I and all the other students sincerely hoped they continued but sadly was not the case

Anyway , SC had a lot of complaints , some narrow minded people about your ustaad on the channel and I'm pretty sure that had a part to play in RA probably being mistreated if that.

Anyway if RA still wants to broadcast their programmes , I dont think SC will push them away the oneous would be on RA in the sense if they are still willing to do so .

RA are now working with Sikh TV - the Kirtan series is being delivered on their channel. Sikh Channel had their chance, they can stick with their anti-Dasam granth presenters (of which they have more than 1 - old and young) and Mr Bal business adverts.

SC had an issue with Namdhari Kirtanis - and after 2 Senior Teachers from RA had been doing seva on SC for a while - they decided to pull the plug on them as they turned up for a show, no notice or anything. Rest of RA said if they don't play neither do we. At which point they decided on their childish tactic of not filming the Namdharis even though they were participating in the kirtan.

I am not disagreeing with you on the kids play but if you get x amount of complaints what do you do ? someone goes to ofcom , what do you do ? , but you are taking it out of context. I'm sure theres arguments for and against on both sides but that is irrelevant. I am not taking any sides against any channel all I am trying to make people aware is , you'll get people from all walks of life , different views , different understanding of Gurbani , etc.. we cant just simply say , due to this they are anti this anti that , they had there chance , the thing we dont realise is , the channels suppose to spread the word of Sikhism , peacefully and hopefully not for personal gain ( WORK TOGETHER ) but due to personal conflicts Sikhs are not big enough to forgive and foregt and move on rather hold a grudge ... why ? what will it achieve .... a fix for the ego ?. If RA are working with Sikh TV then good for them I hope they can educate the sangat as they say they can with proper methods ( i'm sure they will). As you and many say more channels the merrier , so would it not be merrier if they could broadcast their programmes on other channels as well ?

End of the day , we can only make suggestions the buck stops with the person who may want to broadcast their programmes.

Funding is necessary , and without money there would be no channels . If MR Bal wants advertise his business , so what , whats the big issue .. none .

Plus there is that whole precedent (writ large in extant rehit namas) of socially boycotting those who patronise Gurus outside of the lineage accepted by the mainline. (I'm mentioning this in relation to the exclusion of the Namdharias).

The underlying issue is the way Sikhs handle divergent strains of thought from the mainstream. Given the prevalent temperament, what can be done?

I would say one of the main characteristics of the panth today is the way it constantly seeks to identify and attack people considered to be diverging. Sometimes this is an appropriate response but sometimes it can be abused and descend into hysteria.

Edited by dalsingh101

Anyways, as has been stated - there are diverse expressions of Sikhi - which poltical/fanatical/ignorant/puritan inclined people will not be happy to share.

Hence the need for more channels. People can watch in undiluted quality - whatever suits there thinking. That includes the programmes/trajectory the SC offers. Simples. The numerous Muslim channels do exacly this very successfully their are a number of Sunni/Shia/Sufi channels - with different viewopints even within those 3 main categories - catering for all audiences and allowing people to compare and make an informed choice about what direction they want to follow - rather than being brain-washed by the majority band-wagon.

In anycase - it's a non issue, SC attempts to nationaly taint/emotionally blackmail the upcoming channels has failed miserably. Let's move on to bigger and better things.

Fateh Singh, any idea when we will be getting a Namdhari channel - with many of hours of kirtan from Bhaini Sahib being broadcast... :)

Nihang Channel, Nirmala Channel, , Udasin Channel, Seva-Panthi Channel, Taksaal Channel....

Can't wait for the Sikh media rainbow to form!

i think that at the mo 3 channels are enough, as the progs are getting repetitive on the new 2 channels. But this is to be expected for the first few weeks, but when the quality gets better, im sure all 3 will do good.

SC , i think is now doing some quality stuff. the highlighting of the 84 events and the excellent work of the Sikh Federation recently shown, are really good stuff.

Hello,

Its great to hear normal sangat discussing pros and cons of tv channels. At least people care. :-)

Next step would be to actively get involved with them.

The forum can decide and agree on common questionaire to assess the channels strengths and weaknesses.

Suggest one non biased volunteer approach each channel and report back to forum on their findings..

A proactive approach could help decide which channels are genuine in serving the sikh panth.

Any volunteers ?

RaajK

I know nothing just a stupid person sitting at home , now and again being offered a cup of tea and samosa hoping Sangat / channels , all can work together spreading the same message not going for the "Balle Balle factor "

What are your views RaajK ?

Are you thinking of opeing a new channel also ?

and what is God's channel? did it exist before Sky Tv?

Well basically there were the 'terrestrial' channels first of all. Then God decided to split Heaven from Earth and so we ended up with Sky TV and Terestrial TV. This was done by Gods Channel which entered into other channels and split them up into seperate channels, basically Gods channel is the fuzzy screen when you cannot get any signal, that is the Sargun version of it anyway. So now terrestrial TV mimics Sky TV, which is considered superior and terrestrial TV is a gross reflection of it. So Gods channel did exist before Sky and it was responsible for the Jhagra between the splitting up of Sky TV and its subsequent dominance, and this is as it should be according to law.

On a serious note Jal and Thal mentioned in Gurbani could refer to Jal-Heaven the realm of pure essences and forms and Thal-earth the realm of manifested concrete forms.

On a more serious note the more Sky TV splits apart from terrestrial TV im afraid terrestrial TV will become a sunder empty corpse.