3 Sikh Channels In The Uk

shaheediyan

Nice to see there are a growing number of Sikh Channels and Mr Bals world domination of Sikh TV has been broken ;-)

I particularly like the direction the Sangat Channel is taking, me thinks all that hidden Sikh talent is finally going to emerge!!

The 3rd Sikh channel, don't really know much about it (haven't had time to watch) is that the 3HO effort?

I personally think you want quality rather than quantity , plus ( i may be wrong here , hopefully I am) why could they not work together , why not be under the same umberalla , have the different channels , one showing news, discussion , etc.. , the other education , kids stuff , etc.. etc .. but all controlled by one body like National Sikh Media federation , therefore properly monitored , channel wont repeat the same programmes , funding will be distributed amongst the channels, all sangat welcome to take part in programmes with properly vetted material .

Especially when it comes making people aware of Sikhism , I believe competition is not good ,who are we competing against and why the need to compete espeically if its for sarbat the bhalla and all are supposedly opened as a charitable status. You'll create a division between the community , certain people will support certain channel because the other one wont let them do X or didnt listen to them , all petty stuff

On one side they want panthic ekta , on ther other hand thy want to go there own way .

I sincerely hope they all come under one umberella , work together , make a stronger community

I tried watching a 'debate' on a Sikh channel recently. It was so boring I couldn't do it. And it wasn't for lack of effort on my part.

It was like watching half a dozen boring uncle jis sitting around waffling away. No one had any strong points it seemed, nor was any personality apparent that could capture and sustain attention.

I like that we have multiple channels. I hope they develop and progress well and manage to resonate with the majority instead of small groups of apnay. I hope they experiment and adopt a creative approach.

Saying all that it is hard not to feel agreement with what Amardeep said above. A part of you feels that this is likely to turn into a typical jaloose - like our lot are now famed for. But you never know, we live in hope...... lol

I tried watching a 'debate' on a Sikh channel recently. It was so boring I couldn't do it. And it wasn't for lack of effort on my part.

I loved the debates on SurSagar TV, particularly Dasam Granth ones. Singhs were ready to pounce on each other. Number of them waiting outside studio to decide the matter with punches.

Keep it up singho. I love you all.

Amardeep,

Although credit etc needs to be given to Mr Bal setting up the 1st channel - it was done all wrong. Initially it was an extention of his business (his Punjabi Music Channels) - later after much feedback it was given some sort of inbetween charity/business status. Nearly all the adverts on their are for Mr Bals various businesses. It was no short of embarrising the massive - 'we have set up the channel but have no money campaign' that followed for months on end. The channel has had a very high volunteer/staff turnover - to the point that enough people who have left it have set up the 3rd Sikh channel. There communication etc is generally rubbish, they are highly opinionated and political in their decisions re subjects and who to allow on their shows. Those that are 'in the crowd' generally call the shots, rather than being open to ideas. These are things I have personally observed/experienced. Saying all that - the channel is still valuable and has provided a valuable resource for what I would say is generally the 1st generation Sikhs in the UK.

Sangat Channel has done everything in quite the opposite fashion - I wish them good luck. They are a charity, their finances were sorted before the channel was launched, they have seeked and gained blessings from many Mahapursh etc at the outset. They are aiming to be truly all inclusive in who they allow to do seva on the channel. They have sourced Sikh professionals before launching etc. As far as I know the channel is generally being run by GNNSJ - who are highly organised and professional in their approach to all projects they undertake. Good luck to them - and more channels I say - celebrating diverstiy rather than trying to create small box Sikhi. This is the channel I think will appeal to the intellligent youngsters - such a basic thing such as having subtitled English translations for kathaa videos is vital for an 'English' Sikh Channel - which Sangat TV have thankfully taken on board.

Just like wrestlings monday night wars wwf raw vs wcw nitro that was the best wwf time with attitude era, after wwf bought everything merged it wrestling became rubbish. So what was learnt out of that is competition is good for business, we all have an option to change between channels. I wonder what will happen to zee tvs alpha people have to pay subscription to watch gurbani I guess why pay for gurbani when you are getting free stuff, zee tv going to loose alot of business.

It was like watching half a dozen boring uncle jis sitting around waffling away. No one had any strong points it seemed, nor was any personality apparent that could capture and sustain attention.

I actually find the Sikh channel debates quite informative although the sound sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. One of the positives about SC is that they are usually quite quick in getting a debate going about any major incident that concerns the Panth. When the Pakistani Sikhs were kidnapped by the Taliban, SC had a debate the next day featuring the sister of one of the kidnapped Sikhs as well as phone interviews with Sikh leaders from Pakistan. The Khalsa Aid debate was also very interesting. SC has done a good job of informing ordinary Sikhs about various issues which unless they had internet access or brought Punjabi newspapers they would not be aware off. The problem with Sikhs today is that there are many that want SC or any other channel to always adhere 100% to their own personal viewpoints which is well nigh impossible. If a Sikh is a chela of a particular Baba then unless SC features that Baba 24/7 on their programmes that Sikh will badmouth the SC. Same goes for AKJ, DDT. For a Singh Sabha supporter if even one Baba is featured then they will badmouth the channel as owned and operated by chelas of that Baba. I think before we criticise SC or any other Sikh channel for any of their programming decisions we need to look at how many divided views we have in the Panth. Wait for another few months and people will be badmouthing the new channels as well.

I think maybe the one I saw that day may have been unrepresentative of the channel then. I can't remember if it was the Sikh Channel or another one?

I have seen these really good discussions on youtube which I think were from The Sikh Channel - these involved the younger generation quite a bit. (Only in our quom is someone in his thirties still considered a 'younger generation' btw).

I know what you mean about our people dealing with divergent points of views very badly. It is characteristic of us. What can anyone do though. When things are based around faith and some people's interpretation brooks no deviance from a particular position, they have a tendency to interpret matters as 'antiSikh' once it falls outside of their own conceptualisation.

Setting boundaries or contours of a community is understandable and necessary. Most of the arguments seem to stem from the nature of these boundaries and people's perceptions of them being broached.

Maturity comes into this as well. The fact that people interpret things differently doesn't always have to be a reason to pull up the drawbridge and and board up the windows. In recent times it seems as if Sikhs have forgotten how to transform views based on debate and reasoning. It's like we constantly seem to find 'boogey-men' to get into a frenzy about.

Edited by dalsingh101

The problem with Sikhs today is that there are many that want SC or any other channel to always adhere 100% to their own personal viewpoints which is well nigh impossible.

True. hopefully the new channels will attempt to identify and create a tolerance based approach to diversity in Sikh Panth.

Shaheediyan hits the nail on the head. daas was involved with sewa on SC in initial stages when it was punjabi channel, then SC and that but its run too much like one of those Gurdwara committees with a Masand at the top.

its too much about gathering the most loochay budday from across the UK that are messing up the GuruGhars and giving them an even bigger platform in exchange for gathering more funds for Mr Bal to pocket whilst passing off the costs for other channels as SC costs and pocketing the advertising from those channels.

Sangat TV is very good and was begun completely in the right way. hope we will see a diversity of sikhi in the new channels.

It has started , the name calling bickering , personal conflicts etc.. etc...

when will we grow up

All the channels will have so called Masands at the top , having there own agenda or what they think is right for the sangat .

Again , why could they not work together use the sanagats funds mor productively ....

If someone dont agree with Sanagat TV / Sikh TV will they then open another channel

i think that SIkhTV will be more willing to tackle issues currently affecting panth, also SC goes someway to do this as well thru the excellent sewa of the Sikh Federation.

Also SIkh TV is doing something that i love, that is parchar of Gurmat Sangeet via Raj Acadmey. SC from what i heard took RA for a ride.

i tell you summat Shaheediyan bro, when that prog came on, i kept thinking i can hear Ustaad Ji, but never saw him once. Then i played it again as i always recorded them, and saw his arm coming into shot every now and again. I thought that was so selfish of SC, so I started a thread on Sikh Sangat, to see if anyone else had seen (or not seen) what I had. I was surprised that so many people saw SC blatant disregard for kirtaniye. Sad.