Account Of The Sikhs In 1787

namdhari55

A D. 1704. of age, conceived an ardent desire to revenge the

death of his father; but either finding his party too weak, or wanting resolution in his own mind to attempt so dangerous an enterprize, he, * by the advice of the Bramins, performed a number of superstitious rites, in expectation, that some manifestation of the Divine pleasure would appear in his favour; at length a voice was said to have been heard from heaven, declaring the revenge he sought for, should not be attained by him, but by his disciples after his death; and that his sect should at last arrive at the highest point of strength and dominion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This part is quite strange .From where he read that Guru gobind singh ji performed superstitious rites to take revenge.

kdsingh80:

He mentions the source of his information near the begiining of his account:

Having met with two Hindoos of considerable knowledge, who were natives of Lahore, where they had resided the greater part of their lives, and who had in their possession, accounts of the rise and progress of the Sicks, written in the Nuggary (or common Hindoo) character, I persuaded them to let me have a translation of one of them in the Persian language, abridging it as much as they could do, without injuring the essential purpose of information.

No doubt the "two Hindoos of considerable knowledge" added a little embellishment of their own when they wrote their abridged translation.

Too bad the author did not mention the name of the original book from which he drew his account.

K.

Edited by Kaljug

They will not use tobacco, though its use is universal to all the inhabitants of Hindostan, yet they drink spirits and smoke Bang (the leaves of hemp) to the greatest excess of intoxication.

What the heck.....

That is obviously an error on his part...drink it yes, smoke it - no!

their dress is dark blue, as ordered by Gooroo Gobind, and gives them, when collected in large bodies together, a very dismal appearance.

I tell you, the orange thing must be a VERY recent innovation on part of Sikhs?

If you guys like this type of stuff you must get Madra and Singh's 'Sicques, Tigers and Thieves'. It has this account and a number of other ones from around this period.

I've read the beheading story as well in an old source I can't recall right now.

It could be that subsequently Sikhs toned down the sakhi as it was too much for them?