9. Sources for the Study

of Guru Gobind Singh's

Life and Times Gurinder Singh Mann 229

10. Facsimiles of Core

Compositions in the

Earliest Manuscripts

of the Dasam Granth Gurinder Singh Mann 285

• 2 weeks later...

Huh! They give one out free....and it's about McLeod....

Fittay moo onadey! lol

If anyone ever gets hold of that one about Dasmesh Pita...hook a brother up......

On a related note there is a book I've been after for years but have never managed to get hold of. It's an autobiography of dasmesh pita by J.S.Grewal and S.S. Bal (I think). Anyone ever read it?

PS - Ever since I read Lou Fenech's Book on Sikh Shaheeds years ago, I've always felt he was a top class fudhu.

Edited by dalsingh101

notice there is a book review on the "Debating Dasam Granth" book inside the pdf journal

I like the way you keep quiet about the reviewer. I went from excited to disgusted in a matter of seconds......lol

Read that first article by Mann and thought is was crap. Yet another attempt to transpose one's caste onto the faith, this time not even sparing Guru Nanak......if I thought McLeod was bad, this geezer is even worse.

I think I'm going to give that journal a wide berth.

Edited by dalsingh101

I like the way you keep quiet about the reviewer. I went from excited to disgusted in a matter of seconds......lol

Read that first article by Mann and thought is was crap. Yet another attempt to transpose one's caste onto the faith, this time not even sparing Guru Nanak......if I thought McLeod was bad, this geezer is even worse.

I think I'm going to give that journal a wide berth.

What do you expect? This is Mcleodian school of orientalist crap. As far as I'm concearned, their Phds aren't worth the paper they wipe their backsides with.

Edited by Mithar

Haha that jatt thing got me laughing as well. The phd on the 4 contemporary sources on Guru Gobind Singh seems to conclude that the life stories in each of them are quite consistent and portrays a realistic image of the Guru Gobind Singh of history.

I think Mann's rebuttal of Mcleods work is quite good. He should have left out the part on jatts though as his argumentation does'nt make sense at all..

Generally speaking on western scholarship it is good, however each author seems to just cross the line a bit. I think its their way of making a name in the area. If one does not come up with new (controversial) theories then your name name will not get anywhere.

Take louis fenechs book The Darbar of the Sikh Gurus for example. Overall a good and well researched book, however in the end he crosses the line when he starts to question whether Bhai Nand Lal was a sikh after all, and not just a paid poet in the darbar... Everything up to that point was well researched and good, and the rest is bukwas. Same with Gurinder Singh mann paper,.. Good and well researched untill he starts talking about jatts haha. .Jatts seem to ruin everything

Maybe it's just them applying the white man's 'controversy sells' principle to Sikh studies? Obviously they learned this from the master (McLeod) himself. It's sad because, as Amardeep suggests, some of the research is quite interesting and even insightful, then they almost invariably drop some seriously speculative antiSikh idea in. It's like they are trying to sandwich the poison in the middle of good stuff thinking we are going to swallow it up that way?

What were the four sources used in that dissertation btw Amardeep? I guess, Gursobha & Sewa Das Parchian were in there, what were the other two?

What do you expect? This is Mcleodian school of orientalist crap. As far as I'm concearned, their Phds aren't worth the paper they wipe their backsides with.

We have to ask some uncomfortable questions.

1) Why are apnay getting involved in this? Is it just finance and fame? Are they sell outs?

2) Why do most of those apnay that do get involved seem to embody a particular caste mindset which they unashamedly push through their academic work?

Edited by dalsingh101