Few Q's On Nirmala Sikhs

the responsibility for Nihangs is greater in achieving fighting skills

In what context?

What is the difference between Nirmala Sikhs and "Mainstream Sikhs"

Is there any difference when it comes to rehat?

Also why are they looked down upon by some of the "mainstream sikhs"

First I think its key to define the mainstream sikhs ie who/what groups etc come under this banner....

Well what i meant by mainstream was alot of Sikhs i have come across feel why would Guru Gobind Singh send 5 singhs to learn Sanskriti. Like chatanga said i think alot of sikhs believe they have errrm i guess gone astray somewhat.

These sikhs you talk about seem to think that Guru Gobind SIngh was an illteratte pendu just like they are. Why would NOT 5 sikhs go to learn Sankskrit and vedic shaastras.??

lol @ These sikhs you talk about seem to think that Guru Gobind SIngh was an illteratte pendu just like they are.

Especially the way you misspelled illiterate.

I'm just messing with you Suryadev! Don't take it personal. But yes, we do have a lot of ignorant pendu types in the panth. Some people think they make up the bulk of the community.

The problem with the 4 samprdayas theory is that it can't be backed up by historical evidence. Neither the Chaupa Singh rehitnama, Bansavalinama, Mahima Prakash or any other early historical granths mention anything about a concept of 4 orders.

I don't think there was ever any conscious plan for different sampadaya originally. The whole Khalsa thing seems to include a strong effort to 'centralise' disparate strands of Sikhs and isolate and exclude heretic strands.

But human nature being what it is, like everything else people interpreted things differently and different human interests kick in, hence so many differing sampardayas, rehats etc. etc. We had another (recent) attempt to 'centralise' the panth stimulated by European ideas/ideals with the Singh Sabha thing. We all know this has become a very emotive issue for many people today.

I can't help but think that the natural dystrophy inherent in all social structures, (no matter how strong they start out or become at some point) means that we need to periodically 'recentralise' simply in order to knock ourselves back into shape.

And yes, there is another way of looking at it, in terms of natural diversity and the development of separate strands from a central source. Sometimes, things get preserved in this manner through some strands that get lost in others, musical traditions and more traditional understandings can be named as examples of this.

Point is, diversity is good (in my opinion) and humans don't sit well with highly rigid, constricting systems (unless they are Germans), but where is that fine line between accepting diversity and accepting the outright (as possibly irrevocable) fragmentation of the 'thing' in question?

And does this even make any sense to anyone?

Edited by dalsingh101

The problem with the 4 samprdayas theory is that it can't be backed up by historical evidence. Neither the Chaupa Singh rehitnama, Bansavalinama, Mahima Prakash or any other early historical granths mention anything about a concept of 4 orders.

Of course there is.. according to the Sarbloh site so and so Baba said blah blah blah. How dare you not take such evidence as true!

they might not mention them as formal orders, but i havent read them so i cant say, but in Suraj Prakash Granth, there is the passage of Sahib Guru Nanak giving Baba Sri Chand the thapiya of continuing the Udasi method of preaching. Again the giving of Gurditta by 6th Guru is in there as well.

I think that the 4 orders were not really thought of as different from one another, just another facet of Sikh panth, with no definitive clarity, i think that a nirmala could easily become a nihang or udasi or sewapanthi and vice-versa.

I think that the 4 orders were not really thought of as different from one another, just another facet of Sikh panth, with no definitive clarity, i think that a nirmala could easily become a nihang or udasi or sewapanthi and vice-versa.

I've often heard of mixed samparda members such as a Nirmala-Nihang etc. I recall reading many years ago that Baba Deep Singh Ji was a such.