Dressing Modestly?

The Guru gave us bana - a specific physical appearance and form so that we may present ourselves with grace and dignity. What is the goal and result of dressing up and applying cosmetics? Regardless of circumstances a Sikh should maintain the form and identity of a Sikh.

Best to minimize drawing attention to your 'body.'-which happens with those 'belly' shirts. ..

Again if people in Punjab dressed like that in earlier times, doesn't mean Sikhs did that( I am not sure though)

Punjabi Culture and Sikhi are two different things here.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Javanmard

There are some people here whodon't seem to understand what bana is about but that's fine. SO according to you no cosmetics, no belly shirts etc... Ok fine do whatever you want

I am not going to prevent you from being ashamed of your body

Belly shirts don't prevent you from being a SIkh

By the way you should take some classes in Sikh history, wouldn't harm you

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Gurfateh

There are some people here whodon't seem to understand what bana is about but that's fine. SO according to you no cosmetics, no belly shirts etc... Ok fine do whatever you want

I am not going to prevent you from being ashamed of your body

Belly shirts don't prevent you from being a SIkh

By the way you should take some classes in Sikh history, wouldn't harm you

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

All it comes down to is your perception of what dressing modestly is about. Everyone has their own, I was interested to find out what everyone thought and how their opinions differed.

Your idea of bana seems a bit different to what Desikuddi Bhanji has. You seem to believe that a woman can look modest while wearing a top exposing her belly and makeup. :roll: That doesn't seem right to me.

Also, I can say that the majority of men would be attracted in a lustful way towards a woman wearing a top with her tummy exposed. So, unless it's a matter of life and death to wear a top like that, which it isn't, you're wearing it to attract people, and that is against the whole concept of creating the bana of a Gursikh.

Why was the kachera included in the 5 K's? If you dress in tops showing off your belly and wear make up to look prettier, what's the point?

Everyone is here to learn, me more than anyone else, so I don't think your comment to Desikuddi Bhanji to go learn more history was justified. Please don't take offence.

Women may have exposed their bellies a long time ago, but the whole environment was different, there wasn't so many people controlled by Kaam as there is these days, there is a reason why they call this the age of Kalyug you know?

Bhul Chuk Dee Khima

Gurfateh

Gurpreet

Guest Javanmard

Well I don't live in Disney Land Sikhi. I check my history and Sikh history says that Guru Gobind Singh's wives wore gagraa (skirts). Tara Singh Narotam in his Guru Tirath Sangrahi (19th century Sikh scholar) mentions the relic of one of Maharaj's wives and it's her gagraa. Now gagraa was worn with backless sari top and a dupatta like Rajput women. THis is not my opinion this is history. If you want to invent Disney Land Sikhi fine go ahead but don't distort history.

there is surely a difference between finding someone beautiful and wanting to have sex with that person.... unless you live in Disney Sikh Land where sexual frustration is so huge that you even get excited by the sight of a finger!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Well I don't live in Disney Land Sikhi. I check my history and Sikh history says that Guru Gobind Singh's wives wore gagraa (skirts). Tara Singh Narotam in his Guru Tirath Sangrahi (19th century Sikh scholar) mentions the relic of one of Maharaj's wives and it's her gagraa. Now gagraa was worn with backless sari top and a dupatta like Rajput women. THis is not my opinion this is history. If you want to invent Disney Land Sikhi fine go ahead but don't distort history.

there is surely a difference between finding someone beautiful and wanting to have sex with that person.... unless you live in Disney Sikh Land where sexual frustration is so huge that you even get excited by the sight of a finger!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

so wat r u saying laleshvari????

i really dont get it...wats the point ure tryn to make?

is it that girls should wear clothes which show their bodies and they get more stares from people???!

no a true gursikh would know that his/her dress should be APPROPRIATE...

and not one which brings bad thoughts into his/her or the other people (audience)'s minds...now even Guru Granth Sahib Ji says that u shouldnt wear something, eat something which brings vikaars into the mind...

now if u wanna dress in gagraa or wear a small tarty top then u can..but no need to say that dressing appropriately is DISNEY LAND SIKHI...wat da heck is that????

u dont need to make sikhi seem like a joke by saying unappropriate things like that...

Fateh

A kaur ji , u are totally right, i think this person don't seems to be understand the sikhi, as he keeps a quite knowledge about it.

Hey lalleshvari , this one is for u. To understand sikhi, u must respect it first. A sikh women is not required to wear dress like that , the way u are saying. May be u are talking about hindu religion where women's wear dresses like that. but we are sikh , not hindu. keep in mind. A sikh womens are required to cover their whole body part from neck to feet, also required to cover their head all the time. which shows her purity.

don't mind, clean up your mind first then put your thoughts here. and watch your writing too. if u are sikh then, then think like sikhs. U think like non - sikhs. Watch it.

first off.....judging him isn't the answer

secondly, nowhere did he say that dressing appropriately was Disney Land Sikhi...all he said was that Dressing Immodestly was NOT part of Disney Land Sikhi, or in his case, what he is trying to explain to us, the sangat of this website, was Sikh History, through all that he has learnt

Guest Javanmard

Thanks jsb for your clarification. What is dressing immodestly? Showing belly or or your back? Then I suggest you people go back to Sach Khand and tell the Gurus to tell their wives to dress differently. :twisted: The Gurus' wives wore gagra and sari tops and if there are people who have a problem with that well go and see a shrink/ I love my Gurus and I would give my head for them any time. Anyone accusing me of disrespecting Sikhi is a liar and I won't accept such insults in the future. If you can't accept Sikh history you can go and live in Afganistan were women dress "modestly" :twisted:

Guest Javanmard

both my dear. Where did Sikhs live? Iceland? :twisted: The fact is that the gagras of Guru Gobind Singh's wives are still conserved as relics and still can be seen. Tara Singh Narotam lists these relics in his Guru Tirath Sangrahi.

Thanks jsb for your clarification. What is dressing immodestly? Showing belly or or your back? Then I suggest you people go back to Sach Khand and tell the Gurus to tell their wives to dress differently. :twisted: The Gurus' wives wore gagra and sari tops and if there are people who have a problem with that well go and see a shrink/ I love my Gurus and I would give my head for them any time. Anyone accusing me of disrespecting Sikhi is a liar and I won't accept such insults in the future. If you can't accept Sikh history you can go and live in Afganistan were women dress "modestly" :twisted:

hey lalleshvari, i never said that i had a PROBLEM wid the sikh/indian history or ne problems wid the way our Mothers (Gurus wives) dressed!!!!

wat r u turning this into??? man i think u keep turning wateva we say into something which is totally wrong!!! well its great that u would give ure head for Guru Ji wheneva needed and im happy for u for that one and that is how it should be too.

when u say disney land sikhi, well i thought it was DISRESPECTFULL and it was, cuz there is no such thing as DISNEY LAND SIKHI, maybe u ought to find BETTER AND APPROPRIATE WORDS NEXT TIME...

and i dont think ne1 on this forum LIES OR ARE LIARS...so watch ure mouth plz. and neither nebody here needs to see a shrink so yea...

and theres no need for u to get angry aye , my point was straight and simple that we shouldnt dress so that our bodies show so much and that we get the vikars goin in our head or others'...so yea u got the point yet or not?? well i hope u did , and man dont bring Gurus wives and how they dressed and all that into it...STICK TO THE TOPIC

if i hurt nebodys feelings then pls accept my apologies...

fateh

Hey do u know the difference between ghagra and skirts...also todays tops and old time tops. old time ghagra and skirts were meant to be good. it wasn't like todays skrit and tops where u show your parts of body. Dressing is also depends where u live. So all i saying is this if u wanna compare old days dress and todays dress then..forget it. Before that was the only option they had and today we have lot of options to chose from. So we should chose wisly . Well the other think is this, its all depend on our thinking, how we think about certain think, and thinking is depend on what kind of enviornment we live in. Everyone has his or her own opinion... we can't change anyone.. so just do what u like ... No need to ask anyone.

Lalleshvari tell me one thing...Why would you want to wear something that shows half your stomach??

Just get with that fact that one should dress their self in a simple and modest way; gaudy clothes and revealing dress bring no credit.

Although, I do not know of a reference from the rehat Maryada, but Sri Guru Granth Sahib has the Gurus bani on our food habits and dress sense

Sri Guru Granth Sahib has stated very clearly that we should not wear any clothes which cause pain to the body and anguish to the mind: This is set out very clearly in Guru Nanak's shabad in Sri Raag on Part 16 (12) of Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Siree Raag, First Mehl:

sabh ras mithay mani-ai suni-ai saalonay.

Believing, all tastes are sweet. Hearing, the salty flavors are tasted;

khat tursee mukh bolnaa maaran naad kee-ay.

chanting with one's mouth, the spicy flavors are savored. All these spices have been made from the Sound-current of the Naad.

chhateeh amrit bhaa-o ayk jaa ka-o nadar karay-i. ||1||

The thirty-six flavors of ambrosial nectar are in the Love of the One Lord; they are tasted only by one who is blessed by His Glance of Grace. ||1||

baabaa hor khaanaa khusee khu-aar.

O Baba, the pleasures of other FOODS are FALSE.

jit khaaDhai tan peerhee-ai man meh chaleh vikaar. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Eating them (WHICH ?), the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. ||1||Pause||

rataa painan man rataa supaydee sat daan.

My mind is imbued with the Lord's Love; it is dyed a deep crimson. Truth and charity are my white clothes.

neelee si-aahee kadaa karnee pahiran pair Dhi-aan.

The blackness of sin is erased by my wearing of blue clothes, and meditation on the Lord's Lotus Feet is my robe of honor.

karam-band santokh kaa Dhan joban tayraa naam. ||2||

Contentment is my cummerbund, Your Name is my wealth and youth. ||2||

baabaa hor painan khusee khu-aar.

O Baba, the pleasures of other CLOTHES are false.

jit paiDhai tan peerhee-ai man meh chaleh vikaar. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Wearing them (WHICH ?), the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. ||1||Pause||

Guest Javanmard

Dear Desikuddi,

the real question is: Why would I not wear something that shoes my stomach? Do I live in Afghanistan? No! Am I a Wahabi Muslim? No. Have SIkh women shoed their backs and their stomachs in the Gurus' period? Yes! Was there a problem with that? No.

So if you don't mind stop playing Khalsa Police force controling waht I or other people would like to wear! If you want to do that then go to Iran! There they have women patrolling controling the way other women dress!

with love Lalleshvari! :D

---------

moderators note: whether you agree or not with fellow members of this site, talk to them with respect and dont be so agressive

So if you don't mind stop playing Khalsa Police force controling waht I or other people would like to wear! If you want to do that then go to Iran! There they have women patrolling controling the way other women dress!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lalleshavari,

No way was I trying to control anyone's life or how they dress and so forth ...Just expressing my opinion as rest of the sangat on this board is/does. :roll:

So, I personally didn't like what you had to say to me. You telling me to go to "Iran"..and to patrol people..Wasn't you trying to control me too?? Anyways,I didn't take it personally. You express your opinions on this board, and I do too. So, there is no reason to even take it as far as Iran..-BIT TOO CHILDISH!

Anyways, to the clothes issue. You be my guest to wear belly shirts and perhaps..And if you want that...Why even wear those?? ....Why show little bit, show it all!

By wearing belly shirts and stuff of that nature, you tell me what is your objective/ outcome by wearing those?

You know what's provocative and what's not. It is also a matter of intent. If you are clear, noble and self-contained, you do not radiate a sexual vibration to others. Your clothes express your state of mind. Let your clothing be simple, clean and modest. It is not a matter of rules - it is a matter of consciousness. When people try to be sexy, it's pretty obvious.

I am sure, you wouldn't wear such clothing to the gurudwara, why wear it in the public too?? ..Isn't waheguru everywhere??

Anyways, I am not concerened with what you wear or I am not the one to judge you ..But, Let me know what you think!..

Lets see if an woman and men doesnt wear anything.

That shows me that the person won over their desires But thats 1 out of million and I repeat thats 1 out of million so please dont try that experiment if you are not sure that you have taken over the 5 vices and desires :LOL::LOL::LOL:

This is not a bed time story but a true story.

This woman use to walk naked infront of people. So one man approached and asked her why you walking naked for?? She goes i m looking for an partner who has control over the desires and 5 vices to get married. Unfortuanetely, few of fake sadhus, rishis and muniyas start lookin at her and revealed the inner flith within themselves. She replied, world is full of flith because everyone was lookin at her. Finally she found rose in the dirty pond who didnt looked her (Which also means has completely won over desires and 5 vices).

so thats a experiment for me. But i wont try it because woman or men lik her its 1 out of million who had no problem gettin naked because she had controlled over it and had no insecurties same with the partner she met... lol :LOL::LOL:

Note: I ll find the refrence to this true-story. I remember i read it somewhere or hear it. I cant remember it right now but i ll attach the refrence by tommorow.

Regards,