Kasturi Herb?

I recently heard herb name- kasturi during sant jagjit singh ji harkhowale discussion with this premi. It is extracted from deer's navel and it is used for remedies. I heard its quite expensive.

Can someone who knows about this? Please shed some light on what is it used for? how's is it extracted from deer's navel?. I just did a google search, couldn't find any information on this.

how's is it extracted from deer's navel?

I think it is used in perfumes?

I vaguely recall mention of the use of a silver spoon to extract the musk from the navel?

PS - Isn't kasturi also the name for dried methi leaves? The ones that make your armpits emit funky aromas when indulged in excessively?

I recently heard herb name- kasturi during sant jagjit singh ji harkhowale discussion with this premi. It is extracted from deer's navel and it is used for remedies. I heard its quite expensive.

Can someone who knows about this? Please shed some light on what is it used for? how's is it extracted from deer's navel?. I just did a google search, couldn't find any information on this.

http://islamic-shopper.blogspot.com/2010/12/what-is-deer-musk.html

What is Deer Musk?

What is Deer Musk?

Musk comes from the Musk Deer and is considered the best odour in the world. It has a magical effect of soothing the soul and strengthening the inner organs as well as the outer body if applied whether through inhalation or consumption. The good musk is a dry and black substance, sometimes purple, smooth and tastes bitter.

Musk in History

Throughout history, the good musk used to be stored in special vessels made of gold, silver or brass and placed in corridors and lobbies in the palace so kings can smell the fragrance all over the place. Musk is produced in a gland between the stomach and the genitals in a form of a hairy sac in the male deer. Its scientific name is Moschus moschiferus (Musk deer). The name Musk is derived from Sanskrit name muska meaning testicle. The musk deer is1 meter long and half meter of height, with grey, long and fragile hair. It’s a nocturnal animal and very shy which makes it hard to find. Hunters usually resort to entrapments to capture it because of its evasive nature. Its natural habitat is the Himalaya heights and forests, Tibet, Siberia, and Northwest of China generally.

How to extract the musk from the Musk Deer?

First, the hunters kill the deer then take off the musk sac and dry it under direct sunlight, or dip it in a very hot oil. The good news is we can get the musk without killing the poor deer as people used to do before but a lot of patience is required. The musk deer gets uncomfortable when the musk sac is full where it feels itchy and irritated. So, the musk deer attempts to scratch that sac on a rough rock to peel it off, where eventually that sac gets stuck on the rocks without spilling any of the musk. Musk experts collect those sacs called 'Musk Mouse' which is extremely rare and expensive. Musk comes from several countries but the quality is different: China and Tibet are the best producers of musk then come Nepal and Siberia in second place. Many governments have banned the killing of the Musk Deer as it is on the verge of extinction like other species due to man’s greed.

----------------------------------------------------

If you guys want to know what it smells like, sample some WHITE MUSK perfume from The Body SHop. Beautiful smell and one of their bestsellers. Its artificial stuff usedin it. As far as I'm aware the genuine thing is not used in modern perfumery/cosmetics. Animal rights and all that.

Edited by SURYADEV