Disgusting Article On Sikhchic.com

I don't wear bana as i am more inclined towards nirmal bhek but i m disguisted at this article picking on a singh who is wearing a bana. I am even more disgusted article is written by no other than apne so called sikhs who implies level of supermacy or authority on sikhs by dressing posh. Don't get me wrong i dress posh too at work, wear england type dastar, dastar color matches shirt with sometimes tucked in dhari so this is not about Modern singh dress posh vs singh trying to dress posh but nihang bana... i will let sangat be the judge:

http://sikhchic.com/current_events/where_are_we_heading

Few observations: Balpreet singh dressed in bana with huge kirpan is from 2005 not any way related to recent incident at Quebec national assembly where singhs were not allowed...he actually dressed up very presentable at quebec national assembly...it appears that website sikhchic viciously mixing two pictures together for their own hidden agenda against bana wearing singhs..author of sikhchic is staunchly against bana wearing singhs called nihangs as pendus as he himself like to claim an authority on sikhism with dhari tucked in and tried to be more acceptable in front of gorreh's by kissing their back side. Again i have nothing against dhari tucked in or looking more presentable.. in fact i truly believe khalsa should be raja and yogi both and dress like both at various occasions.. but i m against is sikhs fighting among each other as dogs instead of growing some spin and fighting the real issue.

Please discuss!!

I have found sikhchic and langarhall to be sites mostly dominated by Sikh coconuts. If you are a Sikh then you should be proud to be one. I'm not saying go wear Bana and dress like a Nihang, but at least don't condemn someone else for doing so. I myself wear pants all the time. Only sometimes I wear Kurta Pajama to the Gurdwara. But whenever I see Sikh men wearing Bana I feel proud of them but never would I feel embarrassed or think why are they not dressed in western clothing.

I think that such article are written by coconuts with an inferiority complex who intend it to be read by nonSikhs. They want to show them, "Hey look what an a$$ kisser I am of western culture, now please accept me as one of your own".

Edited by Mithar

Lets change the scenario little bit, lets get 3HO sikh guys who wear bana- open beard, kirpan, dumalla with outside attire as well in WS0 organization who can speak french, spanish and english, let see the reaction of these apne confused individuals... would their perception of nihang dumalla or bana worn in public would be same? as pendu? or would it all of sudden be change or be more accepting just because some white dude is wearing it now ??..Ahhh i may hit a nerve or two.

If 3h0 singhs can wear bana in states and represent sikh community there gracefully and if they don't shame wearing it, how come our brothers feel shame supporting singhs wearing bana in public?

Our brothers who love to kiss ignorant type anglo saxon fascist gorreh's back sides need to understand they may not be against the dress but color as they like to think brown color with beard and turban regardless of how posh is dressed belong to tribal groups...they think of us tribal groups but when we learn the language, appreciate the culture, tolerate their culture, integrate with their culture not necessarily annihilate with them..then their perception changes...their perception does not change just by us dressing in posh but their perception changes when we approach them and talk to them in their language, appreciate the culture they have.

That site is weird anyway. On a number of occasions they've added extra lines to comments I've made and subtly edited others. They were the ones who celebrated and defended Niki Haley despite her leaving the faith (and joining the US Republicans!)

This just all goes back to that inferiority complex towards goray too many apnay have.

I think the bigger issue is sikhs are getting divided in Liberals vs traditionalists .The westernised Liberals want to introduce all the western liberal values in Sikhism.imagine if someone would have written article that a Sikh woman leader should wear Punjabi suit then these people would have on forefront to criticise the person and telling him that he should respect people's choice what they want to wear but the same people don't respect if a sikh man choose to wear a bana and call him seventeenth century person

That site is weird anyway. On a number of occasions they've added extra lines to comments I've made and subtly edited others. They were the ones who celebrated and defended Niki Haley despite her leaving the faith (and joining the US Republicans!)

This just all goes back to that inferiority complex towards goray too many apnay have.

Many times they don't even allow comments if the comments are not in line with the views of site.Once they were praising Arundhati roy for supporting independence of Kashmir.In comments section I wrote that the person she is sitting with want to make Kashmir an islamic state and could be compared with jinnah of this time.That comment never bipassed the moderators of that site.

That's true. Many times, my comments have not even ended up showing. When it does end up showing, they add a few lines or even delete some. Strange people. Obviously with such editing and deleting going on, they are not an open minded people as they like to present themselves as who can digest different views. This all points down to a people with an ulterior motive.

House niggers, coconuts, call them what you want. People who would rather be white and would like nothing more than 'fitting in society' and being like everyone else. The very opposite of a Singh.

Edited by Matheen

House niggers, coconuts, call them what you want. People who would rather be white and would like nothing more than 'fitting in society' and being like everyone else. The very opposite of a Singh.

Sometimes it seems as if we are afflicted with more of these types than other nonwhite quoms? Both male and female variants.

When I read stuff like this from apnay (from another forum) I really do despair!

but on the other hand I am a very proud Englishman and absolutely detest the way that my taxes are paying for the pathetic countries of Scotland, Wales and northern Ireland. I strongly believe that its time to end the so-called 'union' between us. From that point of view I find it amazing that any person (I don't include the likes of 'Sunny Hundal' in the category of a person......he's just a scrawny twit that needs a damn good kicking) could criticise Sikhs for being part of the EDL. As a community, we are overwhelmingly English and survey after survey has revealed that we are the single most patriotic English men and women in the entire country....more proud to be English than the white English.
Edited by dalsingh101

let this be a lesson: dont kiss firangi arse !!

whatever type of sikh you are, be loud & proud like tigers.

they want us to look the same, dress the same, call ourselves john richards, work for some faceless corporation, erase any individuality they cant control & become another number.

dont sell your soul & become yet another one of these malechh babylonian corporate-stooge whitewashed coconut sheep biggrin.gif

how come our brothers feel shame supporting singhs wearing bana in public?

I have always wondered about this too.

Also a bit off topic but what makes punjabi women and men ashamed of a dhari? I went through a period years back when I kept my dhari and friends telling me to cut it because 'it doesnt look good'. Not one..not two...but quie a few friends disliked me keeping a dhari, Ive seen this alot within our community in england, punjabis looking down on singhs who keep their dhari and make fun of them.

strange.

Ive seen this alot within our community in england, punjabis looking down on singhs who keep their dhari and make fun of them.

strange.

You should try Kenya.....the UK is still ok - loads of Sangat, events etc.

It's an inferiority complex really. From a young age their parents probably harked on about the superiority of Western ways, language etc. Now, skin lightening creams ffs.

Even in India, I've noticed most parents dress their kids in western clothes - girls in dresses, boys in shorts etc. 'English-medium' schools are the inthing.

I've got a feeling that (at least) a part of the equation involves perceived 'material benefit' in this society, with some socially competitive parents/apnay in the diaspora (and back home too), probably viewing some of the more conspicuous external Sikh identity markers as detrimental to their desperately desired 'upward' social/economic mobility. Hence the hostility?

What I find weird (on reflection) is how western society will tolerate other outlandish external 'cultural' markers [if that description fits?] like goth dress, facial piercings, trannies and whatnot but have this very subtle but deeply rooted, almost passive/aggressive hostility to virile, overt ethnic male religious identities?

Plus I do think they like to toy with this stuff in their society (of late), almost as if they are testing the boundaries of how much they can dictate to those of foreign extraction in their lands. The British are the most cautious about this, and I believe this is due to their experience during the 'mutiny' in India, since which they seem to have made a decision to not overtly interfere with religious practice at a micro level - in fear of some sort of backlash/disturbance. The French don't seem to give a shit about this at all.

Edited by dalsingh101

Plus I do think they like to toy with this stuff in their society (of late), almost as if they are testing the boundaries of how much they can dictate to those of foreign extraction in their lands. The British are the most cautious about this, and I believe this is due to their experience during the 'mutiny' in India, since which they seem to have made a decision to not overtly interfere with religious practice at a micro level - in fear of some sort of backlash/disturbance. The French don't seem to give a shit about this at all.

yeh i think this as well, more so after 9-11, and 7-7 esp.