The New Age Granthis

kdsingh80

In Guru Angad Dev Institute of Religious Studies, twentyfive-odd boys are all busy taking a crash course in English. And it is just a beginning. From next month, when these young boys sit down to study religious scriptures, they will also be learning either French, Spanish or German.

It is not a linguistics session in progress but with a view to migrating abroad, these new age granthis are not just picking up English and foreign languages but also dabbling away in computers to be better equipped to reach out and spread the teachings.

“We have to reach out to the young generations and moreover there are many gurdwaras in the diasporas where knowledge of English language and a foreign language plus computers will help us get a good placement,” says Gurpreet Singh, a young boy from Patiala.

Gurpreet says his initiation into religious studies was a natural progression as “our family is religious by nature and education in religious studies is something natural”.

For now, Gurpreet and others are planning to study French.

“In countries like Canada and Europe, French is spoken. If we know this language, then we will be able to communicate with the people,” says Gurvinder Singh, another student at the gurudwara.

“Majority of youth in Punjab want to go abroad, so why not equip oneself with the required tools. A job of priest is much in demand overseas but mere knowledge of scriptures will not help us. We need to propagate Sikhism and even help the youngsters know what we are reading from the Holy scriptures. This will be possible only if we can speak their language,” adds Gurpreet.

As for the religious studies, Baba Sewa Singh, the head of the Kaar Sewa which runs this institute, says, “The courses in religious studies are run completely free of cost. We provide education, training, clothes, lodging and food to the students. Former Jathedar Akal Takht Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti is the patron of this institute and he comes to teach the students three times a week. The students here are motivated to learn the scriptures, hold discussions on religion and are also taught comparative studies on various religions.”

http://sikhnet.com/news/new-age-granthis

M_Id_221325_Baba_Singh_says_students_here_are_motivated_to_learn_the_scriptures.jpg

They should also learn how to counter missionaries of Abrahmic and Hindu faiths.

True. but they should also be given a course on how to counter the Kala Afghanists. These communistic minded Sikhs are the ones who are causing the most damage right now and are dividing the Panth.

True. but they should also be given a course on how to counter the Kala Afghanists. These communistic minded Sikhs are the ones who are causing the most damage right now and are dividing the Panth.

I am sorry but it is not Kala Afghana or Sikh missionaries that are causing the damage it is the western liberal mentality of Sikhs that is causing Damage.

These Sikhs want to portray Sikhism as most modern,progressive religion and copy every aspect of what western people call modern ,liberal or progressive.

Sikh missionaries are just cashing this mentality.I don't think Sikhs especially in West are going to abandon this mentality

Edited by kdsingh80

I am sorry but it is not Kala Afghana or Sikh missionaries that are causing the damage it is the western liberal mentality of Sikhs that is causing Damage.

These Sikhs want to portray Sikhism as most modern,progressive religion and copy every aspect of what western people call modern ,liberal or progressive.

Sikh missionaries are just cashing this mentality.I don't think Sikhs especially in West are going to abandon this mentality

Well that's rich coming from someone who lives in a country who's laws and culture have been heavily influenced by a certain western country over the last few centuries.

Probably best discussed in a new thread, but what do you mean by 'western liberal mentality of sikhs'? Second, what is a western sikh's notion of 'modern, liberal and progressive' and what is the western idea of 'modern, liberal and progressive'?

I definitely agree with kdsingh. This new mentality of fitting sikhi around a western culuture, when it should be applying those culutral aspects around gurmat. It doesn't matter which culture you are brought up in, one should first and foremost apply the principles of gurmat in his life. Those cultural aspects that go against the spiritual asools should be avoided.

Joginder Singh Vedanti is very knowledge in regards to viakaran of gurbani therefore he will be a good teacher.

We now live in digital age where one can acccess literature related to any subject from the comfort of their homes via computer and internet. In reality its not really the granhti's, kathavachak's etc fault. Its so easy to blame these people.

The real problem is that there is no hunger for spirituality or living a spiritual jeevan especially among the youth. The assar(effect) of kaljug is increasing day by day. If were honest majority of people are absorbed into the illusion of maya. Main topics of discussion among youth will be sports, cars, favourite movies etc. It seems as if the darkness of kaljug is increasing day by day.

Look at how much is material is available on internet. You can learn gurmukhi on internet. You read farid kot teeka, prof sahib singh, sant gurbachan singh katha, suraj parkash, various janamsakhi's, jeevan of mahapursh etc. Yet how many people are taking laha from this priceless material.

At the end of the day its all in the hands of akal purakh. If he wants you to walk on the path he will guide you.

rabb rakhe

Laal singh ji Chatanga ji

I have a imaginery question to you If your practicing sikh daughter or sister decide to marry a non sikh man then what will be your reaction

1)You will gladly accept her decision and invite all relatives

2)You will be angry at her and try to convince her not to marry non sikh man and if she disagree you may accept her decision and keep low profile relation with her

3) You will be angry at her and simple threaten to disown her

If your answer is 2-3 then there is no way you people can say that you people have western liberal mentality

I'm skeptical about these new age granthis. Do you really think they can connect to the youth born and raised abroad with pindu english? Do you really think the gurdwara wil let them speak in English from the stage? I doubt it, it seems like its just a ticket to Kanada......we need people born and raised abroad to become granthis. These smelly pindu granthis have caused so much sh+t over here and they don't know anything about real life here. They bring the same old mentality over here, and all they really want is to get permanent status and hump the gori's (or anyone else they can get there hands on), then they forget everything they have learned. I have seen it happen so many times I can't even count the hair on my ass. As far as I have seen they are mostly opportunistic, no real love to live and teach about Sikhi just want to make money and come abroad. These same granthis blab in the gurdwaras to do Kirat, but when they become permanent they leave the gurdwara's and go on welfare, what a double standard. They blab you should come to sangat regularily but when they are no longer granthis they are nowhere to be seen............not all are bad, but most if them are no better than the pindu working at walmart stocking toilet paper.

The problem is that most of then are pindus who don't have half a brain, the only drive is money, which leads to problems. They haven't educated themselves and don't themselves believe 90% of the stuff they are preaching.

I'm skeptical about these new age granthis. Do you really think they can connect to the youth born and raised abroad with pindu english? Do you really think the gurdwara wil let them speak in English from the stage? I doubt it, it seems like its just a ticket to Kanada......we need people born and raised abroad to become granthis. These smelly pindu granthis have caused so much sh+t over here and they don't know anything about real life here. They bring the same old mentality over here, and all they really want is to get permanent status and hump the gori's (or anyone else they can get there hands on), then they forget everything they have learned. I have seen it happen so many times I can't even count the hair on my ass. As far as I have seen they are mostly opportunistic, no real love to live and teach about Sikhi just want to make money and come abroad. These same granthis blab in the gurdwaras to do Kirat, but when they become permanent they leave the gurdwara's and go on welfare, what a double standard. They blab you should come to sangat regularily but when they are no longer granthis they are nowhere to be seen............not all are bad, but most if them are no better than the pindu working at walmart stocking toilet paper.

The problem is that most of then are pindus who don't have half a brain, the only drive is money, which leads to problems. They haven't educated themselves and don't themselves believe 90% of the stuff they are preaching.

WOW, you have a lot of hate for people from the Pends don't you?