Bad News For Vegetarians! Plants Can ‘Hear’ Themselves Being Eaten - And Become Defensive When Attacked

Bad news for vegetarians! Plants can ‘hear’ themselves being eaten - and become defensive when attacked

Most people don't give a second thought when tucking into a plate of salad.

But perhaps we should be a bit more considerate when chomping on lettuce, as scientists have found that plants actually respond defensively to the sounds of themselves being eaten.

The researchers at the University of Missouri (MU) found that plants can identify sounds nearby, such as the sound of eating, and then react to the threats in their environment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2677858/Bad-news-vegetarians-Plants-hear-eaten.html

I remember some time ago reading about some experiment where they had some identical plants and exposed them to music.

From what I recall, one lot was exposed to some hard core gangsta rap/heavy metal with filthy language and the other to sweet, calm and loving orchestral music.

It was no surprise that the plants hearing the gentle love evoking music grew twice as much and blossomed with beautiful flowers whilst the growth was virtually stunted in the other lot.

Another little tip of mine to try-

...We know that certain families like to keep nice flowers and plants in their houses and gardens.

Next time you are visiting some relative or aunty, have a look at the state of the plants and see how healthy and happy they look.

You will find that the chances are in the houses where the arguments, as with liquor and drunken rows occur with shouting and swearing... ie a house where in punjabi we say, there is lots of ''Khlaeiss''..... then the state of the plants, if any will speak for that very environment.

On the other hand, in the families where waheguru's name resonates in shabad, kirtan..etc.. and there is 'Sat santokh' within family, then their plants and flowers will be just as colourful as the peace and love between the family.

Try it !!... I have personally confirmed it to myself a few times on occasions. ;)

Bad news for vegetarians! Plants can ‘hear’ themselves being eaten - and become defensive when attacked

Most people don't give a second thought when tucking into a plate of salad.

But perhaps we should be a bit more considerate when chomping on lettuce, as scientists have found that plants actually respond defensively to the sounds of themselves being eaten.

The researchers at the University of Missouri (MU) found that plants can identify sounds nearby, such as the sound of eating, and then react to the threats in their environment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2677858/Bad-news-vegetarians-Plants-hear-eaten.html

What about water which has life in its aswell. Asa Ki Var - Pehla panee jeo hai. I guess i cant drink water then aswell as not eat vegetarioan.

well if.............

ਸਭੁ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੁ ਹੈ ਸਭੁ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੁ ਹੈ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਈ ॥
Sabẖ gobinḏ hai sabẖ gobinḏ hai gobinḏ bin nahī ko▫ī.
God is everything, God is everything. Without God, there is nothing at all.

....then of course we would expect some kind of active divine living energy within everything !

With regards to water, it is one of the 5 elements or 5 tat, through which the whole of creation was created.

Be a Fruitarian by eating only fruits that drop from the tree without killing the tree. In another word, fruits that the tree allow to be consumed and help spread her seeds example apple contrast from bananas where one had to chop the plant to get the fruits. Mung dhall is bad as one have to pull the shrubs to get the dhall etc,etc.

a new one on me.

Same here !!

I understand what he's saying, but you can't just stand next to an apple tree waiting for it to fall !!!

Besides, I'm no expert but I am aware that certain ''fallen'' fruits are wasted as they begin to breakdown biologically and become more acidic.

For eg.. I am well aware that in Italy,

where they produce some of the worlds best olive oil... they never use any fallen olives because they would affect the oil quality. These fallen olives are usually wasted and deemed unfit !

This is all because of their higher acidity.

Same here !!

I understand what he's saying, but you can't just stand next to an apple tree waiting for it to fall !!!

Besides, I'm no expert but I am aware that certain ''fallen'' fruits are wasted as they begin to breakdown biologically and become more acidic.

where they produce some of the worlds best olive oil... they never use any fallen olives because they would affect the oil quality. These fallen olives are usually wasted and deemed unfit !

agreed. can you imagine farmers waiting for their crops to die a natural death before harvesting them?

but the term "fruitarian" is quite catchy. I'm going to try it on a few people. See their reaction.

Plants are the best judges. They never criticise you, hence the validity of their communication.

The best judge is the one who judges himself :D

ਨਾਨਕ ਪਰਖੇ ਆਪ ਕਉ ਤਾ ਪਾਰਖੁ ਜਾਣੁ ॥

Nānak parkẖe āp ka▫o ṯā pārakẖ jāṇ.

O Nanak, if someone judges himself, only then is he known as a real judge

as per yog vashisht (creation chapter), the jeev in the form of vegetation, rocks, soil, etc are in the seventh state of ignorance (sushopti). Hence, no feeling of dukh sukh.

and i am referring to yog vashisht because Gurbani claims that rishi vashisht ji was a gurmukh -

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਸਨਮੁਖ ਹੋ ਕੇ ਵਸ਼ਿਸ਼ਟ ਨੇ ਹਰੀ ਦਾ ਉਪਦੇਸ਼ (ਹੋਰਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ) ਸੁਣਾਇਆ।

Thanks curious man veer ji, just to add on patanjali was called gurmukh by bhai gurdas ji.

hanji.. but i am talking about vashisht muni ji (who gave vidya to Shri Ram).. not maharishi patanjali of yog darshana.

the above tuk is by Guru Amardas ji in the following beautiful, simple shabad :

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=2242

:)

Edited by curious_man

Same here !!

You don't have to wait for it to fall. The tree actually wants you to eat the fruit!

Just make sure that when you poop you poop on the ground somewhere far away from the original tree.

JathedarSahib I know you love posting this video everywhere but those quote do not address vegetarianism.

She also fails to address quotes like

Bhagat Kabir

ਜੀਅ ਬਧਹੁ ਸੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਅਧਰਮੁ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਤ ਭਾਈ ॥

If killing living beings is righteous action then what is unrighteous?

ਆਪਸ ਕਉ ਮੁਨਿਵਰ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਕਾ ਕਉ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਸਾਈ ॥੨॥

You call yourself a saint then who would you call a butcher?

She translates this incorrectly as well

Bhagat Kabir
ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥

ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥੨੩੩॥

ਭਾਂਗ meat of the ਮਾਛੁਲੀ fish

ਸੁਰਾ wine of the ਮਾਛੁਲੀ fish (Fish are used in wine sometimes)

Bhagat Kabir was a vegetarian, and he promoted that lifestyle in Guru Granth Sahib.

Bhai Gurdas ji says

ਜੇ ਕਾਸਾਈ ਉਧਰਿਆ ਜੀਆ ਘਾਇ ਨ ਖਾਈਐ ਭੰਗਾ।

If a Butcher (Bhagat Sadhna) is liberated, it does not mean that we should (become a butcher and) slaughter and eat meat.

Every rule, law has its common sense limit. No vegetarian claims that he/she is not killing critters or plants while eating vegetables. The issue is about minimizing as much as reasonable possible. And vegetarians hands down win that debate over the meat eaters.

are you sure? killing tens/hundreds of wheat plants to make 1 roti, wins handsdown over killing 1 goat for a 3 meal ?

JathedarSahib I know you love posting this video everywhere but those quote do not address vegetarianism.

She also fails to address quotes like

Bhagat Kabir

ਜੀਅ ਬਧਹੁ ਸੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਅਧਰਮੁ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਤ ਭਾਈ ॥

If killing living beings is righteous action then what is unrighteous?

ਆਪਸ ਕਉ ਮੁਨਿਵਰ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਕਾ ਕਉ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਸਾਈ ॥੨॥

You call yourself a saint then who would you call a butcher?

She translates this incorrectly as well

Bhagat Kabir

ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥

ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥੨੩੩॥

ਭਾਂਗ meat of the ਮਾਛੁਲੀ fish

ਸੁਰਾ wine of the ਮਾਛੁਲੀ fish (Fish are used in wine sometimes)

Bhagat Kabir was a vegetarian, and he promoted that lifestyle in Guru Granth Sahib.

Bhai Gurdas ji says

ਜੇ ਕਾਸਾਈ ਉਧਰਿਆ ਜੀਆ ਘਾਇ ਨ ਖਾਈਐ ਭੰਗਾ।

If a Butcher (Bhagat Sadhna) is liberated, it does not mean that we should (become a butcher and) slaughter and eat meat.

what is the uthanka to this shabad?

Chatanga,

Curious man already answered your question. (Yes)

are you sure? killing tens/hundreds of wheat plants to make 1 roti, wins handsdown over killing 1 goat for a 3 meal ?

as per yog vashisht (creation chapter), the jeev in the form of vegetation, rocks, soil, etc are in the seventh state of ignorance (sushopti). Hence, no feeling of dukh sukh.

and i am referring to yog vashisht because Gurbani claims that rishi vashisht ji was a gurmukh -

what is the uthanka to this shabad?

What does uthanka mean? And which shabad?