Disgusting And Utterly Shameful Act Of Bridal Photo Shoot Inside Sikh Gurdwara In Us

singhstation

In a Disgusting and utterly shameful act against the respect of Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj, a bridal photo shoot inside the Darbar Hall of Gurdwara Glen Cove in New York, US has raised outrage and concerns across Sikhs all over the world.

The photos of the Bride, Sonal Parmar, are already spreading on social media like wildfire. In one of the photographs, she is sitting on the throne (tabeyan) of Guru Granth Sahib ji with her back.

According to Sikh24 News, Glen Cove Gurdwara Committe has apologized for Anand Karaj Sacrilege and as per the Granthi Sevadar, no permission was sought from the Gurdwara for the photo shoot.

2014-12-09_glencove-333x500.jpg?resize=3
beadbi.jpg?resize=459%2C689

It seems such incidents are on rise in the west and Anand Karaj has become a mere ritual in these days. Only recently, there was a wedding held in Atlanta, US where the couple took lavan while walking side by side on the name of equality and for the sake of doing something different. Everyone is trying to experiment their bit according to their knowledge or for the sake of experimenting. The respect for Guru Sahib Maryada, Sikh values seems to be depleting.

Source: http://singhstation.net/2014/12/disgusting-utterly-shameful-act-bridal-photo-shoot-inside-sikh-gurdwara-us/

SHARE YOUR VIEWS - Who do you think should be held responsible for such incidents? Is it lack of education by parents or growing influence of western culture with Sikhi values?

Her back is to the Guru :(

I read the apology from the photographer on Facebook. Apparently he is not Sikh... and neither is she. So the fault of the Gurdwara for performing an interfaith marriage to begin with. This took place just after when everyone left to go to the procession and it was only the bride and the photographer there... that's the second error on part of the Gurdwara, someone should always be there in attendance of SGGSJ. Having said that, the photographer is accepting full responsibility and has learned a lot about Sikhi in the process.

Is it lack of education by parents or growing influence of western culture with Sikhi values?

I think it is both but I think the second point of western influences on Sikh values started happening soon after the 'annexation' of Panjab.
That being said: I think it is pretty much impossible to avoid influence from majority cultures in the diaspora - for better or for worse. Unless we do like Hasiadic Jews and form really tight insular communities, which Sikhs generally are averse to do.
We have to acknowledge the problems with Sikh children being brought up in cultures which place an extremely high value on aesthetic beauty, and representing females in this light in popular imagery.
Edited by dalsingh101

Sikhism teaches us idot worship is a waste of time and not rationale

Yet sikhs idol worship a book

The guru granth sahib is in your hearts I don't understand the idol worship behind it

Their are different forms of idol worship an the way many sikhs treat the guru granth sahib is idol worship

If your at work an someone random has the guru granth sahib downloaded on their phone or laptop or ipad are u going to all sudden get on your knees an bow down to the laptop or ipad or ipad. Sikhism teaches how to be rationale and yet sikhs still practice customs like caste and idol worship an list goes on

Label Idol worshiping is new abhramic phenomena lacks any deep insight but rather knee jerk rejection. Old gurmat way is sargun upasana of ishat dev- sri guru granth sahib which is perfect accepted form of bhagti- nine forms of bhagti part of development stages of spiritual seeker(Sikh).

We should try to look at gurmat theology in stages- satguru granth sahib ji in sargun(visible- full attributes -ishatdev-personal Guru), shabad(subtle form of Guru), gyan (wisdom impersonal non dual advait all in one, one in all Guru-jot saroop)

There should not be any doubts- Satguru is Ikongkar -one same jot and naam roop but unfolded itself in sargun, shabad and nirgun form. Satguru connects with sikh consciousness at every step of the way in stages, Satguru himself draws his sikh(bhagat) to his sargun form to help him to do bhagti-naam-bhagti nine folds- then Satguru himself further draw his sikh(bhagat) to go inside himself and explore naam within via shabad surta then finally same Satguru draw his sikh towards estoric gyan layer of naam and eventually/ultimately reveal jot saroop of himself (merge sikh in him) in form of self realization
The reason we don't see this because we are not receptive or see things in stages, one has to let go all pre-conditioning, semantics, techanalities..Does love have any conditons ? Love has no conditions whatsoever.

Nine forms of bhagti*

Baba Tirath Singh Nirmala in his translation of Pundit Gulab Singhs Bhavrasamrit (p42-44) mentions the nine limbs of Bhakti which are referred to in the Sikh tradition as the Nvai Parkar (Nine methods):

1. Sravan - hearing the divine* praises.
2. Kirtan - singing the praised of the divine.
3. Simran - remembrance of the divines name.
4. Padsevena - service and offerings at the divines feet.
5. Archana - worship the divine.
6. Bandana - prostration before the divine.
7. Dasyam - developing feeling or emotion of being the divine's servant.
8. Sakhyam - cultivating the emotional bond of friendship.
9. Atma Nivedana - surrender of the self to the divine.

SGGS Ang- 71

Bhagat Navaie Parkara.
There are nine forms of devotional worship

Yes i agree key word is not confined too but not outright rejection of respect/devotion paid to sri guru granth sahib ji as living guru.

Since sri guru granth sahib ji has absolute reality/truth, vahiguru bhagat praises, bhramgyan which is wide, awake and living light in divine word its been respected as satguru in its totality in all three form- physical-sargun, subtle-shabad and divine knowledge god realization-nirgun.

I think its just a book an idol worship makes no sense to me

God is every where according to sikhism and not confinded in a book

i would ask you not to disrespect guru sahib by calling him a book

and N3o i did not expect you and other members here to accept this guys wording!!

its not a book, its guru sahib , read bhai nand lal's rehatnama

ਚੌਪਈ
Chaupaee
ਸ਼ਬਦ ਸੁਣੇ ਗੁਰ ਹਿਤ ਚਿਤ ਲਾਏੇ
Saabad Sunay Gur Hit Chit Laaayay
Hearing the Shabad with concentration, and by putting mind into the Guru,
ਗਿਆਨ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਗੁਰ ਸੁਣੇ ਸੁਣਾਏੇ ॥ (੧੭)
Giaan Saabad Gur Sunay Sunaaayay ॥ (੧੭)
He should listen and make others heed the Guru’s enlightening Shabad.(17)
ਜੋ ਮਮ ਸਾਥ ਚਾਹੇ ਕਰ ਬਾਤ
Jo Mam Saad Chaahay Kar Baata
One who wants to communicate with me,
ਗ੍ਰ੍ਰ੍ਰੰਥ ਜੀ ਪੜ੍ਹ੍ਹ੍ਹੇ ਸੁਣੇ ਬਿਚਾਰੇ ਸਾਥ ॥ (੧੮)
Granth Jee Parhhhhay Sunay Bichaaray Saad ॥ (੧੮)
He may read, listen to and ponder over Granth Jee.(18)
ਜੋ ਮੁਝ ਬਚਨ ਸੁਣਨ ਕੀ ਚਾਇ
Jo Mujh Bachan Sunan Kee Chaai
Ones who aspires to listen to my sermons,
ਗ੍ਰ੍ਰ੍ਰੰਥ ਪੜੇ ਸੁਣੇ ਚਿੱਤ ਲਾਇ ॥ (੧੯)
Granth Parhay Sunay Chit Laai ॥ (੧੯)
Diligently, should he read and recite Granth Jee.(19)
Mayraa Roop Ganrrad Jee Jaana
Deem Granth Jee as my embodiment,
ਇਸ ਮੇਂ ਭੇਤ ਨਹੀਂ ਕੁਝ ਮਾਨ ॥ (੨੦)
Is Mayn Bhayt Naheen Kujh Maan ॥ (੨੦)
do not think there is any difference between me and granth ji.