Raped, tortured by wives, or hit by fake dowry cases: How 100 Indian men call nationwide helpline every day to report abuse or harassment

kdsingh80

He was gang-raped, filmed nude, thrashed with belts, and objects were inserted into his private parts. 

“Then they urinated on me,” the 19-year-old (name withheld) broke down, narrating his story to a helpline recently. 

Given that Delhi is widely touted as the rape capital, this should have been just another statistic. But there’s a catch. The caller’s alleged tormentors were women, and all nearly twice his age. 

Most calls are received from Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Delhi, Haryana, and Punjab

+2

Most calls are received from Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Delhi, Haryana, and Punjab

In spite of being from an influential political family, the caller had no legal remedy. Counsellors had a tough time trying to figure out how courts could help him. To their dismay, they found that the Indian rape laws did not recognise a man as a victim. 

Being an adult, he could not seek help under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act either. 

The 19-year-old isn’t alone. Overcoming the stigma and their social conditioning, hundreds of men across the country are making that call to the helpline with trepidation, alleging that they were harassed, abused and victimised by women. 

The 8882-498-498 helpline for men in distress, run by 40 NGOs across states, claims to have received 37,000 calls since it was launched a year ago. 

Even if some of the calls are considered bogus, the number is staggering - more than 100 each day. 

And the calls to the helpline, SIF (Save Indian Family) One, are leaving counsellors puzzled. The callers do not seem to have much legal remedy. 

Counselors say Indian anti-rape laws do not see a male as a victim of any sex crime. 

Ritwik Bisaria, a counselor with SIF one, said: “We receive cases of men being implicated in false rape and dowry cases. On an average we receive 110 calls a day from across the country. About 65-75 per cent of the calls we receive are from the new callers.” 

2CFCCF2E00000578-3256787-image-a-2_14437

+2

Most calls are received from Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Delhi, Haryana and Punjab, according to the data collated by SIF. They constitute 55-60 per cent of the total calls made to the helpline. 

The nature of calls being received from Delhi has moved beyond the false dowry cases, says Amit Lakhani, another counselor with SIF one. 

“Apart from accusing the man for taking dowry, the charges of fake molestation and attempt to rape by husband’s family are also added.” 

The helpline also receives calls from men who claim to have been sexually assaulted at the workplace. 

“We received a call from a man whose wife made a call to his company and told them about a harassment case she has filed against him. The man was asked to resign without any particular reason,” Lakhani said. 

“While reasoning with the human resource personal, he broke into argument. The human resource manager filed a sexual harassment case against him. Now, he has a case filed by his wife and the office colleague.” 

Kuldip Babbar, an advocate in Delhi who runs a small helpline for distressed men who are the victims of misuse of Section 498A, said: “In the last decade, the number of calls being made by men across Delhi NCR have increased ten times. I get at least 50-60 calls in a month from men who are being victimised by their wives and her family.” 

His helpline number is 9311350315. 

In dire straits 

Babbar started his helpline in 2002 and has realised that there is a dire need for a helpline that can solve the issues of men in distress. 

“I received a case where a man was thrown out of his house and was not allowed to meet his two children after he transferred his ownership of the house to his wife. His wife had slapped 25 cases on him of harassment. 

"Such cases are eye-openers and reflect the need to have a helpline that can also cater to the men and counsel them." 

Men calling 

Khadijah Faruqui, human rights consultant at the Delhi women’s helpline number 181, told Mail Today that they receive calls from men also.

“Every month, we receive at least 200 calls from men. There are calls related to false dowry cases, but we direct them to the other helpline,” he said. 

Faruqui said there has been a rise in calls by distressed males. 

Deepika Bhardwaj, a journalist and film-maker who is currently working on a documentary on misuse of Section 498 A, said: 

“All around us, relationships are breaking down. While there are several platforms for women, there is little that is available to men if they are harassed, abused, subjected to violence by their female partners or office colleagues. 

"I get emails and calls from men saying they do not know who to talk to about such problems. Anyone can be a victim of violence and harassment, but if a man complains he is either not heard or laughed at. Suicide rate among men is rising. We need to have helplines for harassed men.”

The above will shatter myth of some people that how women are just doormats , victims  in India

Edited by kdsingh80

That man in the story is certainly a victim, but I can easily see how things like this end up happening... The women were twice his age.  Likely they were victims of abuse at the hands of men throughout their lives.  It's not secret that women are marginalized in India... and don't say I don't know what I am talking about because I have been to India numerous times, including living in a colony with a regular family.  The attitude is just generally that society is for men, and women should stay at home, isolated, should not work, should not be out after dark etc.  Just watch the Nirbahya documentary and listen to the actual testimony from the rapists themselves and the stupid ass lawyer... who both blamed her, for being out late with a male friend.  Never mind she had that one night to relax between studies and wanted to see a film... but the general theme is that 'girls don't go out and watch movies, girls don't have any place to enjoy life in society, their place is at home hidden in the house'.  I'm not the one saying this... this is what the rapist himself said... and that men seeing these things, want to 'punish' the girls who are out and about enjoying their freedom. Teach them a lesson.

Now, I'm not comparing that case to the women who did this to the 19 year old boy.  Why I brought it up was the general attitude among males in India towards females.  Hey people like Paapiman don't even consider females to be fully human.  So it's easy to see what women in general have to put up with their entire life. Being told what to do by men, being picked at and degraded by men etc.  And no not all men are like this, but there is a high percentage in India and I have experienced it first hand.

So fast forward to future, and you now have a group of women who may or may not have been victims themselves, and if so, they likely either did not report it for fear of victim blaming, or maybe they did and were not taken seriously by police which happens a lot.  And at the very least they likely experienced being marginalized throughout their lives.  As an older adult, there could be a LOT of built up pent up frustration and anger because of this and resentment toward men.  We don't know the background in this case... maybe those women witnessed this very male start to do these things to women... certainly he will never admit to it.  And it doesn't excuse their behaviour. Two wrongs never make a right (sso pls dont think I condone what they did at all) but when you are in a situation where you may have been trated like that your whole life and it was never taken seriously.... something will give eventually.  There is a reason why some swives have gotten away with killing their husbands, without any jail time... because of the emotional and physical abuse.... over years... by the husband, it takes its toll and causes deep psychological issues.  Essentially, they snapped and were not in control of their actions. 

I'm not saying this WAS the issue here in this story.  But generally speaking, women do not just take a man and do these things for kicks.  Especially in a society where women are kept submissive and mostly controlled by men.  So yes they abused this guy... but it should be looked at deeper. Why did they do this thing?  Especially as a group. And why sexual? Was this boy displaying behaviour that they hoped to show him a taste of his own medicine so he would not end up raping and killing a girl like the guys in Delhi??  Just something to think about.  I very highly doubt they just picked this random guy and decided to have fun by abusing him sexually.

That man in the story is certainly a victim, but I can easily see how things like this end up happening... The women were twice his age.  Likely they were victims of abuse at the hands of men throughout their lives.  It's not secret that women are marginalized in India... and don't say I don't know what I am talking about because I have been to India numerous times, including living in a colony with a regular family.  The attitude is just generally that society is for men, and women should stay at home, isolated, should not work, should not be out after dark etc.  Just watch the Nirbahya documentary and listen to the actual testimony from the rapists themselves and the stupid ass lawyer... who both blamed her, for being out late with a male friend.  Never mind she had that one night to relax between studies and wanted to see a film... but the general theme is that 'girls don't go out and watch movies, girls don't have any place to enjoy life in society, their place is at home hidden in the house'.  I'm not the one saying this... this is what the rapist himself said... and that men seeing these things, want to 'punish' the girls who are out and about enjoying their freedom. Teach them a lesson.

Now, I'm not comparing that case to the women who did this to the 19 year old boy.  Why I brought it up was the general attitude among males in India towards females.  Hey people like Paapiman don't even consider females to be fully human.  So it's easy to see what women in general have to put up with their entire life. Being told what to do by men, being picked at and degraded by men etc.  And no not all men are like this, but there is a high percentage in India and I have experienced it first hand.

So fast forward to future, and you now have a group of women who may or may not have been victims themselves, and if so, they likely either did not report it for fear of victim blaming, or maybe they did and were not taken seriously by police which happens a lot.  And at the very least they likely experienced being marginalized throughout their lives.  As an older adult, there could be a LOT of built up pent up frustration and anger because of this and resentment toward men.  We don't know the background in this case... maybe those women witnessed this very male start to do these things to women... certainly he will never admit to it.  And it doesn't excuse their behaviour. Two wrongs never make a right (sso pls dont think I condone what they did at all) but when you are in a situation where you may have been trated like that your whole life and it was never taken seriously.... something will give eventually.  There is a reason why some swives have gotten away with killing their husbands, without any jail time... because of the emotional and physical abuse.... over years... by the husband, it takes its toll and causes deep psychological issues.  Essentially, they snapped and were not in control of their actions. 

I'm not saying this WAS the issue here in this story.  But generally speaking, women do not just take a man and do these things for kicks.  Especially in a society where women are kept submissive and mostly controlled by men.  So yes they abused this guy... but it should be looked at deeper. Why did they do this thing?  Especially as a group. And why sexual? Was this boy displaying behaviour that they hoped to show him a taste of his own medicine so he would not end up raping and killing a girl like the guys in Delhi??  Just something to think about.  I very highly doubt they just picked this random guy and decided to have fun by abusing him sexually.

1)This report is not only about  a single boy

2)Your defending of those women culprits is amazing , by your logic we can say that many little boys in India are sexually abused chances are they also they also abuse women or children when they grow up , it must me O.K for them

3)Nirbhaya documentry was media sensation if you ask a random criminal about the crime he may give whatever justification to his crime, it doesn not mean that society is like that. Someone should make documentry of shooters in USA and then people will say that those shooters want to punish the victims as the view of American soiciety

4) In which world you are living , women in India are watching movies from 50s

5)there 38000 male victims who call this helpline slightly less than half of women , it is not a small number you can't give justification for these victims

1)This report is not only about  a single boy

2)Your defending of those women culprits is amazing , by your logic we can say that many little boys in India are sexually abused chances are they also they also abuse women or children when they grow up , it must me O.K for them

3)Nirbhaya documentry was media sensation if you ask a random criminal about the crime he may give whatever justification to his crime, it doesn not mean that society is like that. Someone should make documentry of shooters in USA and then people will say that those shooters want to punish the victims as the view of American soiciety

4) In which world you are living , women in India are watching movies from 50s

5)there 38000 male victims who call this helpline slightly less than half of women , it is not a small number you can't give justification for these victims

Where did I say it was ok or that what they did was ok or that they were amazing??? I said no such thing!!!
Let me quote what I wrote in fact:

And it doesn't excuse their behaviour. Two wrongs never make a right (sso pls dont think I condone what they did at all)

I simply said that the motive should be explored. 

And the numbers of women who don't call out of fear, or are so naturalized to the cat calling, groping etc on a daily basis that they don't even register it as anything wrong.  So the numbers are still skewed.  I'm just saying that there are bound to be women who *crack* at some point.  Generally speaking, women do not in a group just choose a random male to sexually abuse.  It shows premeditation, and then you have to ask why? Rape is never about sexual kicks... it's about control and power.  Why would a group of women want to dominate and control a male randomly?  Its far more likely there is more to the story than just saying these women abused this guy.  What was the motivation?
We know the motivation for most males who do these things to women... they feel it's their right as males to dominate women.  So why would women want to dominate a male unless that male specifically was doing something that provoked it?  If the society was the other way around, where women are dominant and men submissive and repressed, then I can see it being more random. But I would say vast majority of cases the male 'victims' were not innocent themselves.

That man in the story is certainly a victim, but I can easily see how things like this end up happening... The women were twice his age.  Likely they were victims of abuse at the hands of men throughout their lives.

That is an awfully bold assumption to make. But even that will not/should not count as any kind of excuse.

That is an awfully bold assumption to make. But even that will not/should not count as any kind of excuse.

I believe I stated directly that it's not an excuse... and that two wrongs do not make a right.  But the circumstances do not point to a group of women just wanting some sexual kicks... rape in any case is not about sex, it's about power and control. 

When I was in Delhi, on the Delhi metro, I was not in the female only car (which many of you probably think is wrong to have a female car in the first place) but I sat by the people I was staying with and to keep from separating from them I sat in the regular car with them.  The guy next to me, not known to us, thought it was perfectly fine to put his hand on my upper leg.... until I told him if he didn't remove it immediately he'd be needing x-rays. He clearly did not expect my reaction by the look on his face, so I suspect many women just 'put up with it'.  How much of that can women take all through their lives? There is a breaking point for everyone.  Males however, do not have ot live with that every day just going from point A to B.

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

I believe I stated directly that it's not an excuse... and that two wrongs do not make a right.  But the circumstances do not point to a group of women just wanting some sexual kicks... rape in any case is not about sex, it's about power and control. 

Are females exempt from "power and control"?

Again, that's a very bold assumption to say that "rape in any case in not about sex". I would say that in a good many cases it is.

I was not in the female only car (which many of you probably think is wrong to have a female car in the first place)ust going from point A to B.

Are you doing this consciously ? Why would any one of us have a problem with it?

"Many of you probably think"...that is so obnoxious!

I would seriously re-consider how you conduct yourself on this forum.

Are females exempt from "power and control"?

Again, that's a very bold assumption to say that "rape in any case in not about sex". I would say that in a good many cases it is.

Are you doing this consciously ? Why would any one of us have a problem with it?

"Many of you probably think"...that is so obnoxious!

I would seriously re-consider how you conduct yourself on this forum.

No I meant that many of you would state that having a female only car shows that females are being given some sort of preference. 

Agree with the above, most of your posts are just a mishmash of emotions, accusations, and generalised sensationalized condemnation with little logic or fact. It's become tedious. Perhaps you should step out of your shoes to take a good hard look at your conduct? You seem like you would be a nice person in real life but you your posts are childish. 

Where did I say it was ok or that what they did was ok or that they were amazing??? I said no such thing!!!Let me quote what I wrote in fact:

I simply said that the motive should be explored. 
And the numbers of women who don't call out of fear, or are so naturalized to the cat calling, groping etc on a daily basis that they don't even register it as anything wrong.  So the numbers are still skewed.  I'm just saying that there are bound to be women who *crack* at some point.  Generally speaking, women do not in a group just choose a random male to sexually abuse.  It shows premeditation, and then you have to ask why? Rape is never about sexual kicks... it's about control and power.  Why would a group of women want to dominate and control a male randomly?  Its far more likely there is more to the story than just saying these women abused this guy.  What was the motivation?
We know the motivation for most males who do these things to women... they feel it's their right as males to dominate women.  So why would women want to dominate a male unless that male specifically was doing something that provoked it?  If the society was the other way around, where women are dominant and men submissive and repressed, then I can see it being more random. But I would say vast majority of cases the male 'victims' were not innocent themselves.

1) You started saying that those women must be victims, or they were just teaching boy a lesson  this is the first sign of showing sympathy toward the women who committed the crime

2) Your argument that women just suffer in silence goes both ways as men too are hesitant to report anything against wives as they are considered emasculine  not manly , or totally under the thumb of wife

3) Rape as crime committed  for the sake of only power is pure feminist argument with no basis , rape could be because of any reason .Here is survey  of UN on southeast asia on rapes by men

70-80 per cent of male rapists said their main motivation was a sense of ‘sexual entitlement’. Around half said they did so for entertainment, and anger, punishment and finally alcohol consumption were also reported as motivations.

http://www.newstatesman.com/asia/2013/09/quarter-men-asia-pacific-admit-rape

1) You started saying that those women must be victims, or they were just teaching boy a lesson  this is the first sign of showing sympathy toward the women who committed the crime

2) Your argument that women just suffer in silence goes both ways as men too are hesitant to report anything against wives as they are considered emasculine  not manly , or totally under the thumb of wife

3) Rape as crime committed  for the sake of only power is pure feminist argument with no basis , rape could be because of any reason .Here is survey  of UN on southeast asia on rapes by men

nearly 80 % said 'entitlement' which means what to you?? The men felt that as men they are entitled to this privilege over women.  That IS power and control..... 

And for for the record I do not condone anyone doing violence to anyone else.  I just think that for women to do this it was likely result of something this boy did to someone else.  Women usually don't do this type of thing except for revenge.  Because that sense of entitlement (as described above) is just not there in women over men due to long time cultural influence of males in dominant position and women in subordinate position. So I think the motive needs to be investigated- what if there is another victim? If this guy did something to someone else and police wouldn't do anything about it?? 

But even if that were the case I am still against violence.  

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

nearly 80 % said 'entitlement' which means what to you?? The men felt that as men they are entitled to this privilege over women.  That IS power and control..... 

And for for the record I do not condone anyone doing violence to anyone else.  I just think that for women to do this it was likely result of something this boy did to someone else.  Women usually don't do this type of thing except for revenge.  Because that sense of entitlement (as described above) is just not there in women over men due to long time cultural influence of males in dominant position and women in subordinate position. So I think the motive needs to be investigated- what if there is another victim? If this guy did something to someone else and police wouldn't do anything about it?? 

But even if that were the case I am still against violence.  

You can interpret the studies in whatever way you want but most rapists have sighted sex as reasons amany times

Nearly three-quarters of respondents indicated reasons of sexual entitlement, saying for example, "I wanted her" or "I wanted to have sex."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-11/an-un-survey-reveals-asia-pacific-rape-crisis/4949898

Sixth, most rapists themselves say that sex was the motivating factor underlying their crimes. Professor Lee Ellis of Minot State University wrote, “Even among rapists who victimize strangers, self-reports have given little indication that their real objective is to dominate their victims (or women generally), except to the extent that doing so aids in gaining copulatory access.” Thornhill and Palmer concur with Professor Ellis and specifically mention a doctoral dissertation authored by S. Smithyman that found 84% of rapists reported that sex, in whole or part, was the motivating force behind their actions. Contradictory research, often referred to by feminists, which claims that rapists report power and control as their motivation, frequently contain serious flaws. For example, many were done with incarcerated rapists, or other rapists who’d already been “re-educated” to give the “correct” response, while still others were done with rapists who may have believed that proclaiming a non-sexual motive was more likely to lead to their being deemed enlightened and thus “cured.” Although self-reporting is by definition biased, the least confounded proclamations by rapists supports the contention that sex is the driving force behind the act of rape.

http://www.drtraycehansen.com/Pages/writings_politics.html

Rape only because of Power is B.S theory with no scientific basis, its like saying all murders are because of hatred. Crime never has 1 reason for all criminals

You can interpret the studies in whatever way you want but most rapists have sighted sex as reasons amany times

Rape only because of Power is B.S theory with no scientific basis, its like saying all murders are because of hatred. Crime never has 1 reason for all criminals

Well that hurts your idea even more, because there's far less likely chance of women raping for 'sex'  

And men can say they did it for sex, but the reality is they felt entitled to sex from women... meaning women are seen as objects for men's use.

When I was in Delhi, on the Delhi metro, I was not in the female only car (which many of you probably think is wrong to have a female car in the first place)

Why do you think that "many of us probably think that it is wrong to have a female car in the first place ?"

We all have mothers and sisters here, and we would want them to travel in female car especially when in India.  If any guy thinks different let us know.

Edited by Ragmaala

Why do you think that "many of us probably think that it is wrong to have a female car in the first place ?"

We all have mothers and sisters here, and we would want them to travel in female car especially when in India.  If any guy thinks different let us know.

because it's not a stretch to think that you would equate that as discrimination to guys.... There was a post here before where a guy was yelled at by women for being in the women's car and forced to leave it and many of the same members on here voiced opinion that it's unfair that women have a car by themselves to begin with.  

I never used it... I rode in the regular car and just stood up for myself when that guy put his hand on my leg.  Instead of being the helpless woman I actually fought back.  This is what the women need to be taught there and not to be meek and helpless. Gurus armed Sikh women... To be strong. Instead Sikh guys want to make women weak obedient submissive helpless and dependent entirely on them. 

And for for the record I do not condone anyone doing violence to anyone else.  I just think that for women to do this it was likely result of something this boy did to someone else. 

That's still condoning it. What the background to the case we will never now, so why are you making assumptiions? again?

And men can say they did it for sex, but the reality is they felt entitled to sex from women... meaning women are seen as objects for men's use.

Felt entitled to it? That is some really feeble thinking. Do robbers feel like they are entitled to a persons' phone or wallet? No, of course they know they are not entitled to it, and are committing a crime when they take it by force.

because it's not a stretch to think that you would equate that as discrimination to guys....

only in your warped little world.

Well that hurts your idea even more, because there's far less likely chance of women raping for 'sex'  

I never said that majority of women rape for sex . That was just single case quoted in article and we don't know the exact reason for that . It could be any sex , power, revenge etc

To some extent I agree with you that many men see women as object but this is because through women they can satisfy their sexual desire.Please remember when women are not available then many men also rape men  example famous male rapes in prisons which by many accounts are very high especially in USA.So it is more of satisfying sexual desire for those rapists

I never said that majority of women rape for sex . That was just single case quoted in article and we don't know the exact reason for that . It could be any sex , power, revenge etc

To some extent I agree with you that many men see women as object but this is because through women they can satisfy their sexual desire.Please remember when women are not available then many men also rape men  example famous male rapes in prisons which by many accounts are very high especially in USA.So it is more of satisfying sexual desire for those rapists

In prisons it's about dominance too... The toughest inmates considered at the 'top' of the food chain so to speak, are always the 'pitcher' and never the 'catcher' if you know what I mean (using baseball lingo as a metaphor).  It's not *only* to satisfy sexual urges (which I don't doubt they have) but it's also a means to demean new inmates and keep the power for the tough guys.

In prisons it's about dominance too... The toughest inmates considered at the 'top' of the food chain so to speak, are always the 'pitcher' and never the 'catcher' if you know what I mean (using baseball lingo as a metaphor).  It's not *only* to satisfy sexual urges (which I don't doubt they have) but it's also a means to demean new inmates and keep the power for the tough guys.

Many criminals  want to keep 100s of men under their control, for that they use beating , killing , sometimes miaming in free world .They hardly use male rape in free world. .How come those criminals suddenly start using male rapes when they are in  prison?

Many criminals  want to keep 100s of men under their control, for that they use beating , killing , sometimes miaming in free world .They hardly use male rape in free world. .How come those criminals suddenly start using male rapes when they are in  prison?

Because it's more degrading to the man on the receiving end, than is being beat up.  Also, it's sometimes in return for protection.  The one being raped (or agreeing to it) in exchange for protection from the instigator's gang in the prison. ie: He becomes that guy's b*tch

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Because it's more degrading to the man on the receiving end, than is being beat up.  Also, it's sometimes in return for protection.  The one being raped (or agreeing to it) in exchange for protection from the instigator's gang in the prison. ie: He becomes that guy's b*tch

It is also degrading in free world then why criminal gangs don't use it so often