Sikhism going universal/world wide as its essence message but are we ready?

SAadmin

There are no Panjabi schools in your area?

I live in a small Canadian city Halifax... With a total Punjabi population of maybe 600. Most of the young Punjabi kids can not even speak Punjabi. I am the ONLY female in our sangat who ties a dastar.. And I am the only gori currently that I know of who attends the Gurdwara.  I try to do what I can... I am currently treasurer for Maritime Sikh Society (you can google it to verify) and I work as hard as I can on that.  But no there are no Punjabi schools here.  And online resources don't go past the alphabet.  I have seriously tried... So your words do hurt.  That's why I am asking you if you really are passionate about it then prove it through your actions and teach me. I will PM you my personal email. We don't have to agree on anything or even like each other for you to do this...

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Chatanga: Keep a civil tone. If you cross the limits again with personal attacks on Satkirin I will have you blocked.

Its ok for her to write this :

by the way I learned a new Punjabi word which seems to describe you well... Sapa its under the Sasa letter in the learn Punjabi all I have.

?

Edited by chatanga1

Basics of Sikhi preachers have good understanding of English and Gurbani so it's makes it easier to convey the message of Gurmat. Whereas before I have felt there has been an imbalance, Panjabi Sikhs not knowing enough English to explain and expand in katha, and people from the western world who's lack of understanding of Panjabi has always left them with access to only a fraction of the knowledge available.

Basics of Sikhi are doing some really commendable seva. But recently it seems that they are getting into victim hood mode/philosophy. Totally in contrast with Chardi Kala. I don't agree with their #SikhLivesMatter propaganda. Yes, Sikh Lives do Matter but not in the way they are preaching. They should have rather called it #LongLiveSikhi or something on those lines to generate a positive vibe.

When I first started to regularly attend the Gurdwara here I think I listened to all Jagraj Singh Jis videos while it was still Basics of Sikhi and just him.  I find things changed a bit since he started Everything's 13 and got others involved.  The parchar is obviously good but I am concerned about the incidents like the interruption on live TV recently.  They were better off sticking with one cause... Teaching the basics instead of getting into the other causes. IMO anyway for what it matters. They are no longer concentrating on the basics instead they are confusing new Sikhs by bringing all this other stuff into it which is too complicated for non Punjabi to take in while trying to learn what Sikhism is. 

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

The problem  is that people have a tendency to stick to and hold on to Basics of SIkhi.. Basics as a project is only meant for people to gain an interest in Sikhi - then once thats done people need to move on... Basics only cover that - basics.. You wont attain deeper knowledge about Sikhi by listening to their lectures because that is not what they are there for.... Basics is there as a bridge to inspire you and take you onto something higher.

Personally I think what they did with the BBC was great. Desperate situations require desperate acts. Now they got mainstream media talking about it.

Edited by amardeep

There is too much drama with you two ruining every single topic. We got many complaints about you and the way you insult her constantly. Either stop it now or I will have you blocked. All topics are ruined by the marriage drama of you two guys.

Thats a very one sided view Amardeep. She can say things but no threat of blocking?

The problem  is that people have a tendency to stick to and hold on to Basics of SIkhi.. Basics as a project is only meant for people to gain an interest in Sikhi - then once thats done people need to move on... Basics only cover that - basics.. You wont attain deeper knowledge about Sikhi by listening to their lectures because that is not what they are there for.... Basics is there as a bridge to inspire you and take you onto something higher.

Personally I think what they did with the BBC was great. Desperate situations require desperate acts. Now they got mainstream media talking about it.

true and I agree... But for someone just starting to learn what Sikhi is it might actually drive them away because it might portray Sikhi as just another fundamentalist ideology or something which is obviously wrong but I am just worried that those who are be ones using BOS videos and see that one from BBC might get a bit leery of What Sikhi is. Does it make sense? If not I apologize it's hard to put in words lol 

i mean we don't want to scare away brand new Sikhs with what's going on in Punjab... Even though what's going on is serious and important but it could scare away potential new Sikhs before they get to know how beautiful Sikhi is.

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Dalsingh:
I dont think it is unprecedented as such. If you look at some of the different "castes" (hate using those examples) within the panth, you'll see that many of them have their own traditions which set them apart from mainstream Sikhs. Ie worship of some demi gods on specific days a year and other stuff they do due to belonging to a specific caste. This is a cultural baggage they brought with them when their ancestors converted to Sikhi. I think Afghan Sikhs also have some local traditions while Kashmiri Sikhs have a tradition of cousin marriages. This is likewise cultural baggage.

I hear you, but what has changed in this modern ICT driven world is that we are aware of things more than ever. Like homosexuality and other practices. I mean I never knew any Sikhs married cousins until a few years ago (and from kds on this site). I always thought it wasn't something that any Sikh did previous to that. My mum didn't even know gay men existed until she saw it on Jerry Springer aged 50+. lol

So I don't think we 'tolerated' these things as such, we were just often simply blissfully oblivious to it all. Now that's changed. And the closer contact we have  with each other the more we mix - I believe we will get a gradual but certain change where new (maybe unspoken of) norms organically emerge or maybe the majority ones will prevail?

It's going to be a natural selection like process.

Edited by dalsingh101

true and I agree... But for someone just starting to learn what Sikhi is it might actually drive them away because it might portray Sikhi as just another fundamentalist ideology or something which is obviously wrong but I am just worried that those who are be ones using BOS videos and see that one from BBC might get a bit leery of What Sikhi is. Does it make sense? If not I apologize it's hard to put in words lol 

i mean we don't want to scare away brand new Sikhs with what's going on in Punjab... Even though what's going on is serious and important but it could scare away potential new Sikhs before they get to know how beautiful Sikhi is.

They should be more scared of insidious organisations like the BBC with its long time links to imperialism and the way they harbored pedophiles for decades, allowing them to have access to children through tv shows. 

I hear you, but what has changed in this modern ICT driven world is that we are aware of things more than ever. Like homosexuality and other practices. I mean I never knew any Sikhs married cousins until a few years ago (and from kds on this site). I always thought it wasn't something that any Sikh did previous to that. My mum didn't even know gay men existed until she saw it on Jerry Springer aged 50+. lol

So I don't think we 'tolerated' these things as such, we were just often simply blissfully oblivious to it all. Now that's changed. And the closer contact we have  with each other the more we mix - and I believe we will get a gradual but certain change where new (maybe unspoken of) norms organically emerge or maybe the majority ones will prevail?

It's going to be a natural selection like process.

the reality is these people have always existed but had to remain secret.  So it wasn't that there were none it was as you said, everyone were oblivious.  But they are also people and some are devout Sikhs who do much seva.  My hope is that everyone will learn to see the good in people (see the light) and not only see the faults... Which may not even be faults. Maybe they are tests of us by Waheguru to test our humanity... Something to think about. 

But they need to realize that with anything good on social media they will have a good number of followers (any) and that would add to their responsibilities on what they say and promote.

BBC stunt was great.

Edited by OnPathToSikhi

I don't know anything about that... But BBC brings me Dr Who!!!  

You perfectly exemplify white oblivion to what is going on under your own nose then. 

Whether it's pedo harboring, or white police shooting blacks left, right and centre - you just stay in a haze about it all. 

Jagmeet showed that we can get our voice out despite the racist agenda and attempted suppression of mainstream media. 

You perfectly exemplify white oblivion to what is going on under your own nose then. 

Whether it's pedo harboring, or white police shooting blacks left, right and centre - you just stay in a haze about it all. 

Well im not in the UK so we don't really hear about it here.... We get the odd tv show from BBC on one of our channels that's it... We dont get the full channel here. 

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Well im not in the UK so we don't really hear about it here.... We get the odd tv show from BBC on one of our channels that's it... We dont get the full channel here. 

There is no excuse for being globally uninformed these days. I don't live in America but I know what is going on with blacks and the police there. 

I know what Fox news is about. 

I know about Rob Ford and his crack taking but I've never been to Canuck land. 

I know what has and is happening to aborigines in Australia, but I've never been there.

I have an inkling of w'gwan in Syria without being there.

It looks like you select what you view to give you a comfortable view of the world, outside of male oppression of females which you see everywhere.  

Edited by dalsingh101

I have CBC News CTV News and Kashmiri on my iPhone RSS feeds... but seriously I never heard anything about pedofilia and BBC until now... Actually I just googled it... this happened in 1980s??  Jimmy Savile? Or are you talking about something recent?  I can't find anything... sorry I know this is offtopic... but I cant stand pedofiles. 

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

I have CBC News CTV News and Kashmiri on my iPhone RSS feeds... but seriously I never heard anything about pedofilia and BBC until now... Actually I just googled it... this happened in 1980s??  Jimmy Savile? Or are you talking about something recent?  I can't find anything...

Type in Saville, Rolf Harris.

You must be really simple minded to trust mainstream white media outlets.