Reciting lot of Gurbani along with eating meat and drinking occassionally

Guest Harman Singh

Yes off course, those sikhs will definitely will get laha of doing good but that laha/good karams would be temporary will pass out eventually then what? They be back to square one in next life or next after.

However, lets establish first why that person is reading gurbani and whats the main aim? Is it main aim to remove all the suffering and crossing the world ocean of misery and repeated rebirths? 

I'd say it is VERY helpful!

Say someone is addicted to drugs and drink and are struggling to get away from it, reciting a lot of bani can help big time. Not least with the fact that when they are reciting bani they aren't getting drunk or high. 

People who have such problems are usually the ones who need spirituality the most. Confining bani to the 'pure and pristine' is wrong, not to mention in stark contradiction to what our Gurus practiced. 

Edited by dalsingh101

19 hours ago, Guest Harman Singh said:

Does Sikhs who recite lot of gurbani and eat or drink occasionally gets laha.

Sangat please come with your opinions  

Singh saab, consuming meat/eggs/alcohol, etc, will increment your sins. What does naam do? Naam erases away those sins. How would you describe a person, who goes for a bath (to purify himself), then comes back and intentionally soils himself and then keeps repeating this cycle again and again?

One might acquire some net benefit from reciting Gurbani in this case, but will probably end up wasting previous time in the cleansing of those sins.

Please have a look at the below verses:

ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥

Kabeer, those mortals who consume marijuana, fish and wine

ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥੨੩੩॥

- no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233||

Even though, Bhagat jee did not specify naam simran (in the above arth), we can infer that plenty of naam simran will go to waste, if we indulge in any of the prohibited activities, mentioned above.

Having said the above, one must not be deterred to read more Gurbani, just because he cannot stop himself from committing cardinal sins. Maybe one day, Satguru jee will enlighten and guide him in the right direction.

Bottom line - Try to follow the Rehat and keep reading Gurbani. If you are unable to follow Rehat completely for any reason, don't stop reciting Gurbani. Keep reading Gurbani, listening to Katha/ Kirtan and performing Seva. Additionally, staying in company of Gurmukhs, can also give you the needed strength to eliminate bad habits.

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

On 11/28/2015, 7:20:21, paapiman said:

ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥

Kabeer, those mortals who consume marijuana, fish and wine

ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥੨੩੩॥

- no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233||

The word "ਨੇਮ" is derived from a Sanskrit word "Niyam", which means rules/principles. Nitnem of Sikhs is also a Nem. Further, Tirath can refer to Naam Simran too. If someone can provide deeper insight into the word "ਬਰਤ", that would be great

Based on the above, the arth of the second verse could possibly be - "Their Naam Simran, fasts and Nitnem will be wasted away."

One of the arths of the above verse is as follows:

565b15f0101cd_tirathbarat.thumb.jpg.ff23

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

Gorge on meat ..tandoori steak and curry and see if you can wake up at amrit vela...you wont even feel like doing sadhana ..you will burp and blerch ..feel lazy...alcohol will not allow you to do much of anything ..take down a few pegs of whisky and try chanting the mool mantar ..see the opposition from inside. You wont even feel the vibration inside which you get normally.

I am saying this from personal experience ...not any books or kathas ..when you get 'high' on sadhana you will hate alcohol the most.

I havent had alcohol since 8-9 months now ...not that i drink often ,,my drinking quota was 3-4 times a year but the after effects lasted a couple of days atleast.

I am not saying one should be vegeterian or a teetotaler but if you love the feeling you get after reciting bani you will automatically stop having ..i still eat meat but its like 2-3 times a month. I slaughter my chicken so its not even that mercy feeling inside me ..its just that whatever is heavy to digest ..too spicy or anything extreme affects the brain and while doing Paath you notice it .

I am not even a Nitnemi..so please dont feel i do lot of sadhana....i am just sharing the after effects i underwent and realize why Sants avoid it.

18 minutes ago, kdsingh80 said:

Just eat special langar at any rich Gurdwara and if you don't have control you will feel the same.I used to be so lalchi that whenever tasty langar  was distribuited I used to eat 5-6 roti's along with rice kheer etc.From past 4-5 months I changed this habit.Moral is if you don't have control , it doesn't matter whether it is hearty veggie langar or meat curry ,  you will suffer

Absolutely true bhaa ji