Is this Sangat?

Please listen to Gyani Thakur Singh jee. Some people claim that they are Sangat, but are they really Sangat?

Please listen after 10:00 min:

http://www.gurbaniupdesh.org/multimedia/04-Katha/13-Giani%20Thakur%20Singh%20Ji%20%28Patiala%20Wale%29/Katha%20Sri%20Guru%20Granth%20Sahib%20Ji/CD11%28Ang0886-1024%29/0877-Ang-0925-Pankti-13.mp3

Bhul chuk maaf

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is a "micro" and a "macro" sangat. The macro sangat is the sangat you meet at the local Gurdwara. You dont decide who is part of this sangat and while some are there for spiritual purposes, many are also just there to meet with other Punjabis. Ie social purposes.

The micro sangat is your own sangat, - those people you connect with in order to grow spiritually. These you pick yourself. Most people confuse the micro sangat with your friends but your friends doesn'nt have to be your micro sangat. My experience is that in many cases those whom you grow with spiritually aren't nescesarely the people you have anything in common with in temporal matters, -ie. they are not entirely people you would be friends with to hangout etc...

Edited by amardeep

sangat has connotation of a physical group of people actually sitting together, for the sole aim of worship

there are other words like panth (followers) and quam (population? not sure), and probably other words too

Panth and qaum refers to political nations, tribes etc. Guru Gobind Singh refers to the Brar Jatts as a qaum in the Zafarnama.

I think Gursobha uses the Word sangat in the meaning of panth and qaum giving the Word sangat more of a political meaning.

But generally a sangat is people you know of, - not people you share faith with. This is also the meaning of Sangha in Budhism if I remember correctly.

Edited by amardeep

10 hours ago, Guest guest. said:

there are other words like panth (followers) and quam (population? not sure), and probably other words too

Guest jee - Quam (ਕੋਮ) - is an Arabic word, which means a tribe. For example, Brar Jatts (as stated by Amardeep Paaji), Yusufzai Pathans, Barakzai Pathans, Chauhan Rajputs, etc.

Bhul chuk maaf

I thought sangat came from 

ਸੰਗ

company, association, companionship; party or procession of pilgrims; stone

1 hour ago, paapiman said:

Akhree Arth (word meaning):

Sangat - ਸੰਗਤਿ - ਸੰ (in a good way) + ਗਤਿ (liberation) - Liberation in a good way

Other meanings:

• Company
  • Union
  • Interaction
  • Knowledge
  • Sex

Does anyone know, what " ਸੁਹਬਤ " means?

Bhul chuk maaf

Where do you get these akhree arths from? From a book, website or?

ਗਤਿ (liberation) - Liberation in a good way

i think the 'i' may be a vyaakaran vowel here, the word might be from pali/sanskrit 'gat', "to come"

"san+gat" lit. "to come togther"

(disclaimer: i have little knowledge here, by no means an expert!)

On 2/22/2016 at 6:56 PM, Guest guest said:

i think the 'i' may be a vyaakaran vowel here, the word might be from pali/sanskrit 'gat', "to come"

If the Sihari is removed from ਗਤਿ, then it would become ਗਤ, which means "to annihilate/destroy". 

Is that what you mean by a Vyakaran vowel?

Bhul chuk maaf

2 hours ago, mahanpaapi said:

"Does anyone know, what " ਸੁਹਬਤ " means?"

It means one's company, association etc, wth whom one associate, in Punjab, my parents used to say always stay in good ਸੁਹਬਤ.

11 minutes ago, chatanga1 said:

It is persian word which we don't use much nowadays.

Thanks brothers.

Bhul chuk maaf

11 hours ago, paapiman said:

If the Sihari is removed from ਗਤਿ, then it would become ਗਤ, which means "to annihilate/destroy". 

Is that what you mean by a Vyakaran vowel?

Bhul chuk maaf

has many meanings, look:

http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?tinput=gata&direction=SE&script=DI&link=yeshttp://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?tinput=gata&direction=SE&script=DI&link=yes

(i think?) the word is 'sangat' not 'sangati'. if the 'i' is there it is to do with grammar of the snetance you took it from

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2016 at 4:04 PM, amardeep said:

When Gurbani has praise of the sangat I think it is ustat of this micro sangat. Not the macro sangat.

The below snippet might be related to the above.

There should be two sangats in a Gurudwara:

• Diwan-e-aam
  • Diwan-e-khaas

Please start listening after 31:00 min:

http://www.gianikulwantsingh.com/audio/BaarahMaahaaTukhaari_ChantMahla-1/17-%20%20Thukaree%20Raag%20Baraa%20Maha%20Katha%20-%20Giani%20Kulwant%20Singh%20Ji%20%28Ludhiana%20Vaalay%29.mp3

Bhul chuk maaf

On 2016-02-23 at 4:29 PM, samurai said:

for me (could be wrong)

Sangat is group of people 

Sat sang/sangat is congregation

Sadh sangat is sangat of sadhus (one actually doing sadhana)

Exactly.

Sangat is any company you hang out.
Any company you hang out with on a regular basis will influence your own behaviour. That's why Sat Sangat and Sadhu Sangat is important.

Sat Sang means - to accompany Sat, truth.

Sadhu Sangat means - the company of sadhus, godly men.

On 2016-02-21 at 6:56 PM, Guest guest said:

You have understand how that word is constructed. It is not ਸੰ + ਗਤ.
It's ਸੰਗ + ਤ

ਸੰਗ is "to accompany"
ਸੰਗਤ is "the company" itself

• 3 weeks later...