Punjabis most obese, Tripura men leanest'

kdsingh80

Punjabis most obese, Tripura men leanest'

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Punjabis-most-obese-Tripura-men-leanest/articleshow/51319661.cms

NEW DELHI: Punjabis are the most obese people in the country, while men from Tripura and women from Meghalaya are the leanest, health minister JP Nadda told Rajya Sabha on Tuesday.

According to the 2005-06 National Family Health Survey, the overall prevalence of obesity and diabetes have shown a consistent rise with 65, 66.8 and 69.1 million people between 20-79 years of age suffering from it in 2013, 2014 and 2015, respectively.

The National Family Health Survey data assumes significance because India is already the third most obese country in the world and is showing increasing incidence of obesity among children and adolescents, mainly the in urban areas.

Latest estimates show that prevalence of obesity among adolescents (13-18 years) has grown from 16% to 29% over the last five years.

According to data presented by Nadda, men and women from Punjab followed by Kerala and Delhi are the most obese people with 22.2%, 17.8% and 16.8% of men and 29.9%, 28.1% and 26.4% of women from the respective states reporting a body mass index (BMI) of more than 25.
Data also show women everywhere, except Bihar and Meghalaya, are more overweight than men.In Tripura, only 4.8% of men and 7.1% of women are obese while in Meghalaya, only 5.9% men and 5.3% women are overweight.

Anyone really surprised at this.....

A lot of our lot could do with missing a few prontay now and then. 

Plus it's also that complete oblivion to changes in metabolism in your late 20s that we've been talking about on the forum lately.

th?id=OIP.Meceea4ce666d5b1de48571c0b805a

3 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Anyone really surprised at this.....

A lot of our lot could do with missing a few prontay now and then. 

Plus it's also that complete oblivion to changes in metabolism in your late 20s that we've been talking about on the forum lately.

Why most of the people have bloated stomachs ? Do they drink a lot or what? My dad has one like this too but he has been a heavy drinker but I have seen pathi with waddey waddey dhed too. It's like all the fat just go directly to their stomach. 

5 hours ago, GurpreetKaur said:

Why most of the people have bloated stomachs ? Do they drink a lot or what? My dad has one like this too but he has been a heavy drinker but I have seen pathi with waddey waddey dhed too. It's like all the fat just go directly to their stomach. 

Lack of Physical activity

Guest Seeker - Sikh Kosh

It is because Punjabis don't know the difference between fat and burly. Any fat person is called 'takra', same word for burly people. And being 'takra' is encouraged, especially in the pinds.

Guest Seeker - Sikh Kosh
7 hours ago, GurpreetKaur said:

Gurpreet phenji,

It is because most people from Indian backgrounds are prone to a thing called skinny fatness. We add fat to our chest and stomach but not other parts - mostly genetics and a lack of exercise.

4 hours ago, kdsingh80 said:

Lack of Physical activity

Lack of physical activity doesn't aim fat at just the gut. They would be large all over not just their stomachs.  The fact that their bellies stick out like pregnant women but rest of their body seems not as proportionately fat, it looks more like beer guts / beer bellies.  

7 hours ago, CdnSikhGirl said:

Yikes! THOSE HAVE to be BEER GUTS in the photo!

I don't think they drink beer back home like in the west - it's mostly whiskey (with Baba chicken from Ludhiana)  from what I've seen from relatives. 

People have different genetic dispositions for storing fat. Some people have it piling onto their hips, some on their chests, some start getting 'love handles', some people distribute their fat more evenly on their bodies. I think a big percentage of Panjabis have it piling straight onto the belly area. I'd be the same if I let myself go. My brother, who doesn't train (fat mf!), has a thin body type (and he was always lean growing up) but right now he looks about 6 months pregnant. Strange thing is, he puts no weight on anywhere else - just his tidh! Me, if I kudhoo out the place, I start storing fat on my belly, under my chin (like a dudhoo). and chest. 

I think also, when you get older, sometimes the churbee gets more stubborn too, so it can become harder to lose using training methods that worked a few years earlier. So you have to get experimental with finding new training techniques that impact you as you need. That's why doing a variety of different training styles is a good idea. It gives you a wider repertoire to draw from.  

Male menopause hits men badly whereas women are naturally endowed with far superior coping mechanisms.  After all they are the ones that bring us into this world!  May  god bless them.

What the heck is male menopause? 

These men are getting famous for their tedds, and one on left seems proud of it too..lol

I think it a combination of many things mainly inactivity, most apneh bhandeh just chill as they get bhayeh to do their work.. Alcohol does play a major factor and beer is being drank alot aswell (not like here though.).. they don't understand the concept of a social drink.  So not surprised at all...

9 hours ago, Guest Seeker - Sikh Kosh said:

Any fat person is called 'takra', same word for burly people. And being 'takra' is encouraged, especially in the pinds.

So true, even here especially the older desis, when they see a fat kid (even in teens) they say 'takra munda/javaan', i'm like nah man, its a roly poly kid. 

strong-man.jpg

The western idea of 'strong'

big-belly.jpg

The Panjabi idea of 'takra'

36 minutes ago, samurai said:

These men are getting famous for their tedds, and one on left seems proud of it too..lol

I think it a combination of many things mainly inactivity, most apneh bhandeh just chill as they get bhayeh to do their work.. Alcohol does play a major factor and beer is being drank alot aswell (not like here though.).. they don't understand the concept of a social drink.  So not surprised at all...

So true, even here especially the older desis, when they see a fat kid (even in teens) they say 'takra munda/javaan', i'm like nah man, its a roly poly kid. 

In India Either people are fat or stick thin, this is reason many say fat teenagers as takda

22 minutes ago, kdsingh80 said:

In India Either people are fat or stick thin, this is reason many say fat teenagers as takda

That's bullshit. I've met plenty of genuinely strong looking Panjabi desis here. They are ones who work on building sites and stuff. 

1 hour ago, kdsingh80 said:

there's many teens in panjab who are neither fat nor anorexic but as guest sikh kosh said its a pend mentality to call fat kids/teens 'takreh'. here in uk the older desis have same mentality of fat being considered thakra,,which is giving the wrong impression to these bacheh who think its ok to overeat on pranteh and ladoo (and the rest), they soon find out when they get bullied at high school..

1 hour ago, samurai said:

there's many teens in panjab who are neither fat nor anorexic but as guest sikh kosh said its a pend mentality to call fat kids/teens 'takreh'. here in uk the older desis have same mentality of fat being considered thakra,,which is giving the wrong impression to these bacheh who think its ok to overeat on pranteh and ladoo (and the rest), they soon find out when they get bullied at high school..

Had this problem with a relative who kept overfeeding his son. Sorted the boy out in the end. But when he asked his parents why they kept stuffing his face, they went:

"Parents just can't say no their children!"

I like the way apnay parents excuse away poor parenting skills as acts of uncontrollable kindness! lol

Then, when the daughters are reaching marriageable age, they get into a panic and start laying into her for not losing weight quickly after having conditioned her to overeat since childhood...... vah ve vah

1 hour ago, samurai said:

Obesity is a recent phenomina in developing nations .Earlier rural life use to be hard and there was hardly any junk food.Many overweight guys are also takreh. One of my cousin is 6 feet and 125 kg and he is very strong.So this perception that fat=takrah got ingrained in indian mentality

@kdsingh80..Pend/pendu mentality also goes for those with backward thinking not necasarily to say it literally came from the panjab pend. ie. telling kids to overeat, its not really sensible is it..

45 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

"Parents just can't say no their children!"

My parents had the opposite problem..lol

Also my cousin sis was overfed  when she was younger (sweets/chocs you name it), then when she went to high school all gol-mol she got teased (and from home from her brothers), she then developed a habit, she would eat then make herself vomit, im not too sure what the medical term is. It took her years to stop doing it and even now, years on, she still thinks she is fat (shes like a stick now)...big psychological effects as she keeps needing reassurance from people around her that she is not 'fat'..

53 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

I like the way apnay parents excuse away poor parenting skills as acts of uncontrollable kindness! lol

so true man...

she then developed a habit, she would eat then make herself vomit, im not too sure what the medical term is.

I think that is bulimia

It took her years to stop doing it and even now, years on, she still thinks she is fat (shes like a stick now)...big psychological effects as she keeps needing reassurance from people around her that she is not 'fat'..

I think this anorexia?