Eating During Listening To Nitnem

WJKK WJKF

Waheguru I know that in some well know Gurmukh in the times Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj has a rehatnama with one the rehats being to not eat before doing Nitnem (forgive me if I am wrong). Does that mean we cant eat even if we’re just listening to Nitnem and not reading Nitnem. Or no, you just can’t eat or drink anything before Nitnem?

Bhul Chuk Maaf

You are not suppose to eat before nitnem. Some say no eating or drinking ATLEAST before Jap Ji Sahib. Some say no eating unless you have completed atleast Jap Ji Sahib & Jaap Sahib.

Myself, do not eat before completion of atleast Jap Ji Sahib & Jaap Sahib. 

WJKK WJKF

Ever since I found out I shouldn’t eat or drink before Nitnem, I don’t eat or drink before I recite Nitnem. But a question just arose out of my mind if you could eat or drink if you were just listening to Nitnem

Bhul Chuk Maaf

30 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Saito Sensei in Japan doesn't eat until he's done his bathing, morning prayers, meditation and weapons training and the uchi deshi usually do as well. 

He says one of the reasons for this is to acustom the body to be able to wake and fight a battle with no food. He also says never eat more than 80 percent your fill, since battle can happen at any time and you can't fight on a fat feasted gut. 

One of the times I went, there were a bunch of italians living and training there, and they insisted we eat...constantly..lol. So we uh..ate breakfast. That was nice too.  Heh. 

I quickly learned what muskalatore male means in italian, experientially, however that's spelled.  Training was brutal lol. 

Italians, no matter how big and tough, do like a good hug and cry for their mammas after eating. It's kinda adorable, lol.

Thanks for sharing veer ji as dass didn't know about this. It does make sense especially as you have been through the training which does sound like a really good intro to the training of the purtan arts.

14 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I'm not sure I would eat while doing Nitnem, but I would definitely Naam Jaap or recite Gurbani in mind while eating, which is slightly different. 

One can listen to Gurbani (on your smartphone) too, while eating food.

Bhul chuk maaf

3 hours ago, Soulfinder said:

Thanks for sharing veer ji as dass didn't know about this. It does make sense especially as you have been through the training which does sound like a really good intro to the training of the purtan arts.

It's really interesting to understand a sub section of Dharam really thoroughly, like Ai Ki Do, the from the source version. Then discover this huge tree that is Sat Dharam. That you recognize the structure of because the branches you were schooled on follow the same natural structure as the rest of the tree, but that Tree is so much bigger than one Do. It's the home of all Dharam, Do and Tao and so much more. 

Understanding any one Do enough, is a great introduction to Dharam and its' related cultures, ways, practices and etiquettes. 

That is however simply opening the door. I have...an indescribable amount of training to do.... learning... earning... Ishnaan. When you're a stray, you're grateful to be taken in, but you still feel like a stray. So you stay humble, loyal, and grateful. What can one give to the Guru except everything? Just for a glimpse, let alone a SehajPath of Guru Granth Sahib Ji. 

Sort of a tangent. But I've noticed two strengths of the ignorance of foreigners.

One. We're illiterate and can't speak the language and were not raised in the culture. So as we start to piece together the little bits of truth, take language for example, the few words we know are only the most important ones. And as we form a vocabulary of one, then ten, then seventy words, those words are the most essential. And our ignorance gives us focus and the language isn't cross connotatted by societal or everyday use. It only exists in our tiny Dharmic vocabulary. With only those meanings. 

Second power of ignorance. Because we are ignorant of a lot of cultural and societal ways that grew alongside whatever the Dharam is, as we ignorantly grasp our way in, it takes a lot of dedication, and it takes a lot of dedication to learning about the ideal expressed by said Paath alone. So we can be very loyal to the ideal and free of cultural limitations or confusions that people birthed alongside said Dharam can have. 

That being said. We have major obstacles of ignorance in language, history, cultural context, societal norms, traditions, thought processes. And it makes us like children at best for a long time and no matter how committed there is a level where we will exhaust ourselves trying to catch up with people born into it. Hence the Kirpa and Karam that was earned to be born into a Sikh family that I did not have. 

When it comes to americans trying to learn how to be japanese I just tell them don't. Especially don't try too hard and be all simpy nerdy about it.  No matter how much you learn, you will never be proper by their standards, their culture is too advanced. All you can do is learn, love and appreciate everything you can about their culture, and be as proper as possible without stressing it too much and understand you will forever be a barbarian basically compared to how they operate. 

When I first went to the Gurudwara here, I didn't know what to do, so I watched and followed, and referenced japanese etiquette for bowing to Maharaja etc as I saw people do, and left my pita, and knowing about sitting properly and meditating all helped a lot. You see all that in the most traditional Dojos. At that time I knew far far far less about Sikhi. But it was enough to be able to show up and be able to act halfway properly. 

Lol. I sat there for like hours, not knowing how long it lasted for, before someone very kindly explained I was to eat Langar and come and go from Maharaja's pressence not just sit there all day. 

I could have sat there all day. The Kirtan had me out of this world. I was sitting in Shabad or sitting in Hukam. I could have been in Sachkhand and it would have been the same. 

It was nice to come out of it and eat Langar. Akal made me a natural lover of dhal, and rhoti, and chana, and sabji and the uhh. .gullabi? Basically Langar. Lol. I understand it's simple food? I'm set with simple then. Rice just barely flavored and fluffy. Mmm. 

Now I want Langar. 

On 6/25/2021 at 12:05 AM, Soulfinder said:

Dass has been eating breakfast before doing nitnem or other banis as i get headaches/migraine if I try on a empty stomach.

So dass is happy to see that our fellow message board members are doing nitnem without eating as thats something that dass hasn't for a quite a few years now.

Soulfinder Ji, it's very unfortunate that you have a migraine problem. I have been listening to Khalsa Camp Lectures on YouTube like a lot, and in one of those, Bhai Kulbir Singh Toronto (Gurmat Bibek Jatha)  mentioned about his migraine problem, which he had many years back. He told the sangat that once he was doing vichar with a gursikh and in between the talk, he told him about his migraine problem. The gursikh replied to this saying:

"You will never have any cold, headaches or migraine if you follow these 3 instructions-

1. Do Cold water Gurmat Ishnaan everyday.

2. Make your own food while reciting bani and then eat it in sarbloh 

3. Do atleast 1 Sukhmani sahib every day. "

You may follow these and tell us about the change once you start.

Good luck.

Guru sahib kirpa karan 

Trimandeep Singh 

On 6/28/2021 at 2:01 AM, Soulfinder said:

Its very good information that you have shared about Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji as he is a gursikh. But for dass its hard to have a cold water kes ishan as the weather here in the uk is not nice when going out to vist places especially after a kes ishan. Keeping sarbloh bibek is very hard to follow veer ji as in these western countrys its hard to find anything to eat that is free of meat,eggs,fish and sharaab.

Veer Ji, you can do Kesi ishnaan at Amrit Vela and leave your hairs open with a small keski tied on your head (like a patka) while doing naam abhyaas. You can also do this while doing nitnem if you have your nitnem banis Kanth. While reading bani from a gutka or mobile, you can't leave your hairs open, only when doing from memory. This will help you naturally dry your hairs. 

Try to do cold water ishnaan everyday because it's Rehat and mentioned in Tankhaahnaama of Bhai Nand Lal Ji.

It's okay if you can't eat or make in sarbloh. But do try to cook food on your own while reciting bani. If you don't know how to cook food, then just avoid outside food and eat everything made at home only from scratch (avoid use of additionals like dairy cream, sauces, bread etc).

If you can't eat home made food everyday due to any problem, then just avoid outside food as much as you can. 

I don't know how to cook food so I eat food made by my mother only with everything made from scratch.

Hope it helps

Trimandeep Singh 

9 hours ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

Veer Ji, you can do Kesi ishnaan at Amrit Vela and leave your hairs open with a small keski tied on your head (like a patka) while doing naam abhyaas. You can also do this while doing nitnem if you have your nitnem banis Kanth. While reading bani from a gutka or mobile, you can't leave your hairs open, only when doing from memory. This will help you naturally dry your hairs. 

Try to do cold water ishnaan everyday because it's Rehat and mentioned in Tankhaahnaama of Bhai Nand Lal Ji.

It's okay if you can't eat or make in sarbloh. But do try to cook food on your own while reciting bani. If you don't know how to cook food, then just avoid outside food and eat everything made at home only from scratch (avoid use of additionals like dairy cream, sauces, bread etc).

If you can't eat home made food everyday due to any problem, then just avoid outside food as much as you can. 

I don't know how to cook food so I eat food made by my mother only with everything made from scratch.

Hope it helps

Trimandeep Singh 

Veer ji thanks fpr replying. Dass has never done kesi ishnaan at Amrit Vela as through out my life I have only stayed up until amrit vela just a few times not that many times as dass usually does nitnem and other banis whenever i feel like at daytime or in the evening depending on my mood. But its a good idea you have mentioned. 

I have never taken any cold water ishnaan as i do agree its written in Tankhaahnamaama by Sri Bhai Nand Lal Ji. So its gonna be difficult to jump from mild warm to ice cold lol.

I usually eat my mums cooking at home. I do have some frozen food like pizza,chips, burgers etc at times. But i am usually very careful when i eat from outside as their is a limited number of restruants in the area which offer fresh desi food.

Its good that you can get your mum to cook as i do the same lol