Toxoplasma gondii

HSD

1 hour ago, HSD said:

https://www.science.org.au/curious/people-medicine/link-between-cats-your-brain-and-your-behaviour

Do you consider yourself to be a ‘cat person’? Does your ideal future involve surrounding yourself with fluffy, contented feline friends? If you’ve ever owned a cat—or been in contact with undercooked meat, or unwashed vegetables—you may be carrying a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii.

If you do, you’re not alone—roughly one-third of the world’s population is thought to carry it. This parasite can cause an infection known as toxoplasmosis, which is generally thought to cause only mild flu-like effects in most people, though it can also cause serious inflammatory conditions of the eyes.

It is perhaps most famous for some of its claimed effects on human behaviour. Toxoplasmosis infections have been associated with an increase in aggressive and impulsive behaviours, a reduced perception of risk, and an increased probability of developing psychotic symptoms (such as schizophrenia). It is possible that the parasite’s effects on dopamine (a neurotransmitter, or brain chemical) and testosterone (a hormone) may be responsible. It’s also possible that people who already have certain personality traits or brain disorders are just more likely to become infected.

It’s even been recently linked to a higher likelihood of pursuing an entrepreneurial career. Once again, this doesn’t necessarily mean T. gondii infection causes an entrepreneurial spirit—perhaps those with a lower fear of failure are just more likely to eat undercooked meat or care for cats, or there may be other outside factors involved.

However, these links are not set in stone: researchers reviewing the scientific evidence for T. gondii’s effects on behaviourand mental illness have pointed to limitations in how the data for many studies has been collected, so don’t blame your recklessness on your cat just yet.

It's also worth noting that you are actually far more likely to contract a T. gondii infection through handling or eating undercooked meat or unwashed vegetables, rather than from your favourite feline furry friend. However, cats still play a key role in facilitating the parasite's spread.

So why is this parasite thought to have such strange effects on human behaviour? And … why cats?

To date, there is only one known place where T. gondii can sexually reproduce: in the intestinal tract of a cat. Here, they produce millions of small, thick-walled cells called oocysts, which make their way out of the cat’s digestive system in its faeces. These oocysts can survive and remain infectious out in the world for months (possibly even years), until they are eventually ingested by another mammal or bird. Once ingested, T. gondii moves on to the next stage of its life cycle, developing into a form that can quickly spread through the body. They then form cysts in the various tissues of the body, including the brain.

This presents T. gondii with a problem: once it’s settled as a cyst in the tissues of some other animal, how can it find its way back into the gut of a cat so that it can reproduce sexually again? Well, if your new home is in the brain tissue of a rat, the answer is that you somehow convince the rat to run towards a cat, rather than bolting in the opposite direction.

Which is exactly what happens to rodentsinfected with T. gondii—they lose their innate fear of cats and actually become attracted to them. Instead of being repulsed by the smell of cat urine, infected rodents love the stuff. This, of course, increases the chance of infected rodents being gobbled up by a cat, allowing the life cycle of T. gondii to carry on. It’s a very smart evolutionary strategy for the parasite (and T. gondii isn’t the only living thing that can change a host’s behaviour like this—similar strategies are used by some fungiand wasps).

If you are infected with T. gondii, should you be worried? If you’re not experiencing any symptoms, the short answer is no—unless you are pregnant or have a weakened immune system. Infection during pregnancy may cause complications for the child later in life and can cause serious symptoms in immunocompromised people. Those at risk should take extra precautions to ensure meat is properly cooked and raw fruits and vegetables are thoroughly washed prior to consumption. They should also avoid changing the kitty litter where possible (or, if it’s truly unavoidable, wear gloves and wash their hands thoroughly afterwards—which is something that all cat carers should be doing, anyway).

As for whether a T. gondii infection will turn you into a crazy cat person? We don’t know for sure. While we know that infected rodents become ‘crazy cat rats’, so to speak, there’s no evidence that this specific behaviour change occurs in humans as well. So give your cat another hug. Just be mindful if you’re feeling particularly impulsive today.

Thanks for sharing the article bro. How old is it?

Thanks

Bhul chuk maaf

42 minutes ago, Premi said:

Toxoplasmosis can be dangerous to pregnant women, so be careful if cats are around pregnant women

Well, if it apparently makes people more 'reckless' and 'braver' we could do with a mass infection in many of our genteel brothers........lol!

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

Well, if it apparently makes people more 'reckless' and 'braver' we could do with a mass infection in many of our genteel brothers........lol!

2 hours ago, Premi said:

Toxoplasmosis can be dangerous to pregnant women, so be careful if cats are around pregnant women

Wait..are we talking about testosterone?

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Wait..are we talking about testosterone?

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/pregnancy/what-are-the-risks-of-toxoplasmosis-during-pregnancy/

What are the risks of toxoplasmosis during pregnancy?

Toxoplasmosis is a common infection that is usually harmless. But if you get toxoplasmosis for the first time while you're pregnant, or a few months before you conceive, there's a small risk the infection could cause:

You won't usually develop any obvious symptoms yourself.

How common is toxoplasmosis during pregnancy?

The chances of getting toxoplasmosis for the first time during pregnancy are thought to be very small.

Even if you do become infected for the first time during pregnancy, this doesn't necessarily mean your baby is in danger. In many cases the infection doesn't spread to the baby.

What are the chances of toxoplasmosis causing problems during pregnancy?

If you get toxoplasmosis for the first time during pregnancy, the risk to your child largely depends on when you were infected:

• infection in early pregnancy is less likely to spread to your baby, but if problems do develop they are likely to be more serious
  • infection later in pregnancy is more likely to spread to your baby, but any problems that develop are likely to be less severe

It's estimated that only 1 in 10,000 babies is born with toxoplasmosis in the UK.

4 hours ago, Premi said:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/pregnancy/what-are-the-risks-of-toxoplasmosis-during-pregnancy/

What are the risks of toxoplasmosis during pregnancy?

Toxoplasmosis is a common infection that is usually harmless. But if you get toxoplasmosis for the first time while you're pregnant, or a few months before you conceive, there's a small risk the infection could cause:

You won't usually develop any obvious symptoms yourself.

How common is toxoplasmosis during pregnancy?

The chances of getting toxoplasmosis for the first time during pregnancy are thought to be very small.

Even if you do become infected for the first time during pregnancy, this doesn't necessarily mean your baby is in danger. In many cases the infection doesn't spread to the baby.

What are the chances of toxoplasmosis causing problems during pregnancy?

If you get toxoplasmosis for the first time during pregnancy, the risk to your child largely depends on when you were infected:

• infection in early pregnancy is less likely to spread to your baby, but if problems do develop they are likely to be more serious
  • infection later in pregnancy is more likely to spread to your baby, but any problems that develop are likely to be less severe

It's estimated that only 1 in 10,000 babies is born with toxoplasmosis in the UK.

Basically, it seems like it's better women catch it way before they ever get pregnant. 

2 hours ago, HSD said:

It is from 2018. 

Finally, we can all become just like you, now give us that cat:

tumblr_lm0d7jcpHA1qbvx0xo1_400.gifv

If I had my way, I'd stick your nose right up a cat's bhund (to infect you) and then drag you to a firing range.......lol!

I heartily suggest everyone remain ignorant of all the stuff in and on the body that aren't you. It's a disturbing percentage of your mass. Just pretend you're a hologram. Truly this is the death state now. The heaviest most rotten body we inhabit, the physical. Limited. Temporary. Disgusting. It's a miracle it even functions. Only 1, could animate dust into this...megalopolis of billions and billions of lifeforms culminating into what is known as the human body. 

Let's sprint after the Guru Sahiban and get those Jyoti forms of ourselves going. Leave all the filth behind. 

If you’ve ever owned a cat—or been in contact with undercooked meat, or unwashed vegetables—you may be carrying a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii.

I've grow vegetables too sometimes. I could easily catch it when I'm tending them! lol! 

7 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Cats have been living alongside humans for a long while now. I think if it was a serious problem, we'd know now. 

We live with lots of parasites anyway as flora and bacteria in our guts for instance.  

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

I've grow vegetables too sometimes. I could easily catch it when I'm tending them! lol! 

It may turn out to be nothing and I’m not going to tell people what to do in their own lives. However, good practice from the pandemic is for everyone to wear gloves whilst gardening and to wash their hands after touching their pets. 

8 minutes ago, HSD said:

It may turn out to be nothing and I’m not going to tell people what to do in their own lives. However, good practice from the pandemic is for everyone to wear gloves whilst gardening and to wash their hands after touching their pets. 

I'm pretty clean like that bro. Our ancestors did loads of growing and never wore gloves. I've known hordes of people who lived to old age who kept gardens and allotments without gloves too. But it is important to wash your hands afterwards, especially if you've been dealing with a compost bin.

But you yourself, don't get too caught out by the fear of this parasite. If you want to get a cat, do so. Millions of people do, without any mishap.  My grandpa even had one when I was a kid.  

2 hours ago, HSD said:

. However, good practice from the pandemic is for everyone to wear gloves whilst gardening and to wash their hands after touching their pets. 

Gurmat is already very strict on personal hygiene and Sucham.

It should be common sense to wear gloves, while doing activities (like gardening, cleaning, preparing food, etc) where spread of germs is possible and to wash hands after touching any animals.

It is always a good idea to wear a different set of clothes, while at home (and a different set while praying/meditating). We must also try to wash our hands, arms, face, feet, legs, ears, nose, etc, after coming back to our houses, whenever we have been outside for a considerable amount of time. 

Other good practices include, mouthwash after eating food, daily cold/hot showers, showers after excretion/sweating, cleaning penis area after urination, etc.

We can go on and on....lol. Sorry for going off-topic a bit.

@dalsingh101 

Bhul chuk maaf

10 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Cats have been living alongside humans for a long while now. I think if it was a serious problem, we'd know now. 

Not necessarily bro. In the olden times, science wasn't very advanced. Wasn't there a time when doctors did not even wash their hands, before surgeries in some European countries?

So, it is possible that science might figure out more hygiene problems with pets in the future

Bhul chuk maaf

On 2/1/2022 at 2:20 AM, paapiman said:

Not necessarily bro. In the olden times, science wasn't very advanced. Wasn't there a time when doctors did not even wash their hands, before surgeries in some European countries?

Bhul chuk maaf

Sucham is important in Hindustani culture. They seem to been more advanced then Europeans

On 1/31/2022 at 11:28 PM, dalsingh101 said:

I'm pretty clean like that bro. Our ancestors did loads of growing and never wore gloves. I've known hordes of people who lived to old age who kept gardens and allotments without gloves too. But it is important to wash your hands afterwards, especially if you've been dealing with a compost bin.

But you yourself, don't get too caught out by the fear of this parasite. If you want to get a cat, do so. Millions of people do, without any mishap.  My grandpa even had one when I was a kid.  

Too much 'sucham' is probably not a good thing. I occasionally eat off the floor if I drop food at home, lol. I think increase in modern cleaning chemicals and lack of exposure to natural germs in foods is one reason why more children/people are developing food intolerances and allergies nowadays.