Pakistan - Current Situation

Hello,

The question is what’s going on with Pakistan? They are perhaps the closest they have ever been to total collapse. Unless somebody bails them out it may be game over. However, no country in the world not even the mighty Ummah seems to be in the mood to bail them out.  The situation in Pakistan would be very familiar to people in India but with added dimensions. The country is awash with guns, drugs and corruption. As Pakistan is finding out it’s easy to arm people but much harder to disarm them. Scores and issues are settled by the gun which is a recipe for disaster. 

Pakistan

Pakistanis are looking at India with envy ( they shouldn’t because we have our own issues) with a growing economy and stature and realize it may get far worse for us in 10-15 years if the trend continues.  Pakistans current debt is about 126 billion much of its external especially to China. The situation is so bad that Chinese tourists walk into Pakistan and have in the past slapped around police, army men and even top politicians. Poor Pakistanis that have borrowed from the Chinese are now forced to hand over daughters, sisters when they can’t repay. One group that has always benefited though was the Pakistani Army no matter what the situation was. The current scenario is that Imran Khan wants peace with India and wants opening up of trade. He has visited india on dozens of occasions and the Pakistani Army considers him compromised. Problem is that Imran is the most popular politician in Pakistan and would easily win any election. The Pakistani Army is in a Catch 22 situation. Kill him and you would have an uprising let him become PM and you have an Indian asset as PM. However, there is a growing section of the Pakistani army and people that want peace with India.

Indias complaint is about terrorism - and over the last 6 months at least 10-12 major jihadis have been killed in mysterious drive by shootings in Pakistan. I suppose you can add Panjwar in this equation as well. Some believe these hits were conducted by India ( its possible RAW has heavily infiltrated Pakistani society) OR its a subtle message to India that hey look we Pakistanis are getting rid of all Jihadis that were responsible for various bomb blasts, Mumbai attacks etc in india. Pakistanis are getting nervous about India’s growing military and economic might and repeated threats of taking POK. 

The savior was supposed to be CPEC economic corridor and the Gwadar port financed by China. However, india completely wrecked that plan by arming the Balochistan Liberation Army. Hundreds of Chinese have been killed in drive bys and bomb blasts. Total loss to China is about 50 billion dollars and they are in no mood to invest more. 

For a while Pakistan had dreams about  a two front war India vs China and Pakistan. The Pakistanis have probably realized at this point the Chinese ain’t gonna do anything. 

According to reports india is not only arming the Balochis but also the Taliban and both are hammering the Pakistani army. On the economic front india has bought off all major Pakistani allies except for China. Pakistan is isolated. There is no doubt in my mind that the current GOI has decided to break Pakistan. This is why Pakistan desperately wants the BJP out of power. 

The current situation is a rage against the Pakistani Army. This is the first time the ordinary Pakistani has turned against the fauj. Demonstrators are breaking into army HQ and finding lavish lifestyles while the ordinary Pakistani are dying by the hundreds from hunger. 

I've met guys who go back there frequently, including now. I think there is an issue with media amplifying things and making them look bigger than they are at ground level (i.e. sensationalised). Right now, to many paks, this is just a minor thing, with 'disturbances' taking place in a few major towns. At village level, and in much of the country, things are 'calm'. 

On 5/13/2023 at 8:29 AM, Veer said:

According to reports india is not only arming the Balochis but also the Taliban and both are hammering the Pakistani army. On the economic front india has bought off all major Pakistani allies except for China. Pakistan is isolated. There is no doubt in my mind that the current GOI has decided to break Pakistan. This is why Pakistan desperately wants the BJP out of pow

Which allies India bought? 

7 hours ago, kdsingh80 said:

Which allies India bought? 

Perhaps “ bought” is a harsh word but there are new opportunities available for Middle East countries in india and vice versa. They relate to economy, natural resources, immigration and investment. 

These countries were long time friends of the Pakistanis providing them money, bailouts etc and time to time mouthing off about kashmir. 

but it’s gone dead silent with these countries. Here’s a sample 

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/kashmir-uae-india-emaar-investment-

News of the Emirati property company Emaar investing in Indian-administered Kashmir has been branded a "complete betrayal" by activists and Kashmiris in the region and abroad.

Many believe Kashmir is set to meet a fate similar to Palestine's, with some Arab and Islamic countries withdrawing their support for the Muslim population's cause in order to build better economic and diplomatic relations with India.

In March, Emaar's chief executive in India revealed plans to build a shopping mall and an office complex in Srinagar, capital of the Indian-administered Jammu and Kashmir region. Amit Jain said that the investment worth $60m would generate around 7,000 to 8,000 jobs. 

Speaking on behalf of the Indian government, Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha said the announcement marked a "historic day" for Kashmir and that "business leaders from the UAE have been invited to invest in J&K and become 'partners'".

The Kashmir region is divided between areas administered by India, Pakistan and China and has been fought over since the partition of India by the British Empire in 1947.

Stay informed with MEE's newsletters

Sign up to get the latest alerts, insights and analysis,starting with Turkey Unpacked

The Indian government stands accused of thousands of gross human rights violations and extrajudicial killings in the region, with allegations of brutally suppressing a decades-long freedom struggle by Kashmiris.

Indian soft power

Kashmiri rights campaigner Ershad Mehmood, executive director at the Centre for Peace, Development and Reforms, based in Islamabad, told Middle East Eye: "I am in absolute shock. This is a complete betrayal of the people of Indian-occupied Kashmir and their struggle.

"They shouldn't have done this. This completely strengthens India's stance, it recognises Kashmir as Indian territory and completely whitewashes our struggle," he said. "The UAE has just sent a message to the people of Kashmir that it doesn't care about their rights and aspirations."

'The message India is trying to convey to the Kashmiris is that nobody is with you - even the UAE is investing with us'

Altaf Hussain, Kashmir Institute of International Relations

Another campaigner, Altaf Hussain, who manages the Kashmir Institute of International Relations, said that "the message India is trying to convey to the Kashmiris is that nobody is with you - even the UAE is investing with us. They want to project this as a negative impact on the Kashmiri struggle".

Hussain emphasised that there was no peace in Jammu and Kashmir and that India "has on its hands a long list of human rights violations".

Emirati investment in Indian-controlled Kashmir is an example of Indian soft power and a warning to the Arab world, said Fahim Kayani of Kashmir Campaign UK.

"India has made big inroads in Gulf nations… so now if the UAE has shown interest in investment in Kashmir it's because of the so-called soft power of India in the Arab world," Kayani told MEE.

"This is a big issue not just for Muslims but for humanity, as India is ruled by an ideology that does not see non-Hindus as equals. Better the Arab world understands it sooner," he said.

'Courting controversy'

5 hours ago, kdsingh80 said:

Economic relations with Arabs are dangerous for BJP. BJP's politics work on hatred of muslims and if muslims get in trouble Islamic nations will come to rescue them. Recently OIC interferes in India when There was some violence on Ram Navmi . Last year BJP had to throw out Nupur Sharma when she said against Mohammed. 

I think as well, 'Indians' need to understand that when people come to your country being all friendly and acting like allies, it should never be taken at face value.   This was the big mistake made by successive rajay in India (including our own M. Ranjit Singh) with the EIC, who used this naivety to scope out the joint, and then manipulate the situation until they had taken complete control.   

Modi seems to have some grasp of this given how he is now pushing for complete self-reliance in the manufacture of military equipment. This indicates that he knows that allies of today (in terms of military supplies) could turn in future, when least needed.  

Also, I think India is widely resented by a lot of european nations, and if history is anything to go by, they will act vindictively when they get an opportunity. I hope they know this. 

7 hours ago, kdsingh80 said:

Economic relations with Arabs are dangerous for BJP. BJP's politics work on hatred of muslims and if muslims get in trouble Islamic nations will come to rescue them. Recently OIC interferes in India when There was some violence on Ram Navmi . Last year BJP had to throw out Nupur Sharma when she said against Mohammed. 

It’s just transactional with the middle east. The Middle East is on a tear against Islamists itself. Banning the burka, executing Islamists, banning azan from loudspeakers especially Saudi Arabia. 

Nupur sharma will return very soon. Tiger Raja Singh was unsuspended yesterday. 

As for Muslims there is a little bit of a change in their attitudes especially the  womenfolk. More and more Muslims are calling out Islamists in their midst. 

8 hours ago, Veer said:

Banning the burka,

????

What do you mean by this?????

11 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Bro. If India wasn't known to lie, black cat, false flag, rape, genocide, torture and opress Sikhs, Dalits and others I'd be all about some things going super well for them. 

In a way. India is a really big swing vote and I hate seeing them lean towards facism. 

To be fair, the us, especially as the layers of this conflict play out, is far worse. But that's why we need not more of the same. 

https://www.wionews.com/south-asia/probably-my-last-tweet-pakistans-imran-khan-says-police-has-surrounded-his-house-593352

‘Probably my last tweet’: Pakistan’s Imran Khan says police have ‘surrounded’ his house

Islamabad, PakistanEdited By: PrishaUpdated: May 17, 2023, 10:54 PM 

Pakistan's former prime minister Imran Khan on Wednesday said that his house has been surrounded by the police and he is likely to be arrested soon.

Semi related but there are some serious tensions between the EU and India.

India is now Europes largest supplier of crude oil. India is buying Russian oil refining it and selling it to Europe pocketing billions. 360,000 barrels per day 

Mysterious oil tankers are showing up on shores of both Russia and Europe. Widely believed to be owned by Adani group. 

15 minutes ago, Veer said:

Saudi Arabia is slowly going the way of Dubai. Maybe not that far but under the new Prince is going in a different direction.

What, they gonna have bikini babe beaches too? Sullay man.....  

8 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

And use black people as living toilets. There's a special hell for that. 

I think they'd use anyone who they could for this myself. I heard loads of western fitness models go out there to get shat on by some rich arab, for more money than they'd normally make in a couple of years.