is it wrong to marry a non sikh?...

KJ

Hey, I was just wondering, say if a sikh wanted to marry a non sikh, does it say anywhere in Gurbani that its wrong? Because its not like ur changin ur faith and what not, and say if the other person whose not a sikh, and he or she respects ur religion and evreything in it, then personally i dont see why it would be wrong. well ok, then again, its the whole "cultural" indian minds where its like..oh thats wrong, what will people say and think etc. Anyways, i'm pretty sure that it says in the Guru Granth Shaib Ji, that there should be no discrimination and racism etc. So by following that..and being with a person who respects u'r views and religion ..then is it wrong to marry a non sikh?...( i hope im making sense, i tend to jus through allll my idea's in and end up not making anny sense).

So if someone can help me and tell me if it says anything in the G.G.S.J, that would be safe.

- Alright, ciao :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not wrong to marry anyone who isn't a sikh...and a sikh wouldn't think that it is wrong to marry som1 who isnt't like them...but if u r a sikh and u practice sikhi or atleast would like to in the future and your partner doesnt practice sikhi neither do they have any similar lifestyle like ureself...then u really ought to think that well....isn't there a chance of any complications in our married life? you also should know this one thing for sure, that no matta how religous u r, u can never change nebody if u want them to..unless they want to change themself..this change could be a spritual change or ne kind of habit change...all u can do is inspire them...but in da end its all in Gurus hands...so dont ever marry ne1 thinking that if u marry som1, who knows they might actually become like u somtime later on in life...

try askin urself these questions below before u go ahead and marry som1 who isnt or doesnt want to be a sikh in da future, (datz if ur sikh or would like to be sikh in da future)

1. will we be able to grow to love God and Guru together????

2. will we be able to grow spiritually together or will these differences

jst be obstacles in our spiritual developement and therefore act

as hindrences in our married life???

2. will we be able to raise our children according to Gurmat or will

our children be confused?

3. will we be able to relate to each other on an equal spiritual level?

most ppl will respect ur religion, but dat doesnt mean that it would be the best option to marry them. Marriage is hard work, you can't jst rely on attraction for it to last in the long term (m not sayn that 'U' would rely on attraction, so dont get me wrong). Im jst sayn that the more similar lifestyles the partners have the greater their chances of them having a happy marriage in the long term.

my apologies if i have offended ne1 in ne way.. :P 8) :P

I want to live in a Sikh home, personally. I think that one's faith is an intimate part of oneself...and I want to share that intimacy with my husband. I want to live it. I want to celebrate it. A person's core values really are what makes a marriage...regardless of whether one is from India or not.

Marryng a Sikh to me means complete and total freedom. I'm completely free to worship and think and pray as I please. I don't have to worry about explaining how I think and feel. I can deeply feel something and not have the nagging hurt that my husband does not believe what I do, or the silent disappointment that while my husband is by my side and supporting me, the reason why he is there is because I brought him and not because of his unrelenting love for Guruji.

Children are an even more complicated issue. Aside from the child ultimately being confused, there are numerous conflicts.

What happens if one marries a person whose religion believes in circumcision? Whose faith gets violated by chosing to perform or not perform that task?

What happens if one marries a Christian, which mandates christening...many times at birth? Whose faith gets violated by choosing whether or not your children will be baptized, accepting Christ as their Lord and Savior?

After all of that...I have to say that I do not know of a specific line in SGGS that either forbids or condones interfaith marriages. I can only speak from opinion...sorry if I was insulting .....

C.Kaur

Hey, I was just wondering, say if a sikh wanted to marry a non sikh, does it say anywhere in Gurbani that its wrong?

Bani Guru, Guru Hai Bani, Guru ji says "A Gursikh must only marry another Gursikh".

Because its not like ur changin ur faith and what not, and say if the other person whose not a sikh, and he or she respects ur religion and evreything in it, then personally i dont see why it would be wrong. well ok, then again, its the whole "cultural" indian minds where its like..oh thats wrong, what will people say and think etc.

Its perfectly alright in Sikhi to marry someone of another caste, culture, race, skin colour, or whatever else. But one of the 52 Hukams from Guru Gobind Singh is "Give your daughter to a house where Sikhi exists" and just before that it says "Do not give her to a clean shaven". The same thing applies to men obviously.

Anyways, i'm pretty sure that it says in the Guru Granth Shaib Ji, that there should be no discrimination and racism etc. So by following that..and being with a person who respects u'r views and religion ..then is it wrong to marry a non sikh?...( i hope im making sense, i tend to jus through allll my idea's in and end up not making anny sense).

Its nothing to do with racism. Marry a black, white, yellow, pink, whatever over colour your want. Read the Guru Granth and it (constructively) criticises all religions for their acts. Guru Gobind Singh outright calls himself an "idol breaker" in Zafarnama :) :) :) and says "Hindus have set up false religions" I think in Chaupai. Guru Nanak often talks about how Halal and circumcision are just plain WRONG......and theres even a shabad showing how Adam and Eve theory makes no sense.

So if someone can help me and tell me if it says anything in the G.G.S.J, that would be safe.

- Alright, ciao

Guru Granth Sahib says that after Sikh marriage (Anand Karaj, which is incidentally originally for Gursikhs only) the two souls become one (in Lavan i think). During Anand Karaj both partners pledge their alleigance to the Guru Granth Sahib. How are you going to pledge your alleigance to teh SGGS if you dont even follow it? And if you want to get a non Sikh marriage (ie in a Church) then the marriage will not be recognised in Sikhi.

If the two souls become one, and one believes there are many Gods (contradiction to the fundamental Mool Mantar in Sikhi) or has a Semetic background, then there is a clear conflict in views.

Im probably going to sound harsh and talibanistic to most the members here, but then again some of hte members here dont really base their views on Gurbani but on what seems alright to todays society. If you really value Sikhi then youll only want to marry someone who is a Gursikh and probably has a higher spiritual level than you so you can learn from him/her........not some random other girl/boy based on short term emotional feelings.

Do you think Guru Gobind Singh would marry a Muslim or Hindu? Would Baba Deep Singh come home after a long day of battering Mughals to his Christian wife :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I don't know why some of you talk about that fake country "India", most of you are fair Panjabis and not black Hindu "Indians". Personally, "India" can kiss my as*! Sikhs can marry who ever they want to but it must remain a Sikh household in my opinion. My GF is Afghan Muslim, but she is quite liberal and has agreed that our kids will be raised as Sikhs, that's all that counts to me. My grandfather wanted them to be raised as Christians coz he's a preacher! (Yeah right!) I don't think he takes my conversion to Sikhism very seriously! lol :)

Kind Regards,

MI

I don't know why some of you talk about that fake country "India", most of you are fair Panjabis and not black Hindu "Indians". Personally, "India" can kiss my as*! Sikhs can marry who ever they want to but it must remain a Sikh household in my opinion.

I'll let u know dat india is not a fake country and how u so disrespectingly said that india can kiss ur as*, dnt u realise dat india is a blessed land cuz our Gurus were born there on da land????? dont u realise dat? And abt sikh marriages, if u have strong roots for sikhi den ud probably wana marry a sikh like ureself, simple as dat.

:)

I'll let u know dat india is not a fake country and how u so disrespectingly said that india can kiss ur as*, dnt u realise dat india is a blessed land cuz our Gurus were born there on da land????? dont u realise dat? And abt sikh marriages, if u have strong roots for sikhi den ud probably wana marry a sikh like ureself, simple as dat.

:)

Dear Khandaydhaar, very much true... as simple as that... :)

Best Regards

• 3 months later...

Good points? Back them up with exact quotes from Guru Granth Sahib and then others can decide if they are 'good' points or a bunch of bs.

The 32nd Saakhee of the 'Sau Saakhee'

Once, the Turks (Muslims) caught a Sikh and took him away with them. They circumcised ('sunnat') him, made him read 'Kalma' (a Muslim prayer). They did what their 'sharaah' (Muslim religious rules) says. They removed his hair. But, his mind was not moved. He started to recite 'Guru Guru'.

They made him eat the food and then freed him. At the time of 'Rahraas' (the Sikh evening-prayer), the Sikh bowed his head in the holy presence of Guru Jee and said, "O King! I am a Sikh. I fell unconscious in the battle. The Turks (Muslims) took me away with them and did what their 'Sharaah' say. Now, what should I do? Protect my 'Dharma' of the 'Sikhi'. Otherwise, I will burn myself on a pyre".

"How did they do their 'Sharaah'", Guru Jee asked.

The Sikh said, "they did my 'sunnat' (circumcised), compelled me to eat the food and cut my hair".

Guru Jee said, "Did you enjoy the company of Muslim woman?"

Sikh said, "No, I was saved by you".

Guru Jee said, "Distribute the 'Karhaah Prashaad' to the Sikhs. You are a pure Sikh. Guru has saved you".

The Hazoori Sikhs asked, "O King! How can one be a Muslim?"

Guru Jee said, "Enemies do the 'Sharaah' by force. No one becomes a Muslim by doing so. O Sikhs! When one does the adultery, (his/her) mind mixes up, only then one becomes a Muslim. The mind is the reason. Forcefully, the belief cannot be destroyed. My Sikh, who enjoys the sexual relations with a Muslim woman, is not my Sikh. If someone repents after having sexual relations with other's woman, he can be forgiven; but he, who has sexual relation with a Muslim woman, will never be forgiven".

The Sikhs said, "The Muslims copulate with Hindu women. If Sikhs get revenge, it is good".

Guru Jee said, "Sikh-brothers! We have to take this 'Panth' to the high position, not to lower position. We have not to imitate the wicked.

This is from the times of Guru Gobind Singh ji?

How odd..this completely contradicts the teachings of Guru Nanak ji.

Do you think maybe Guru ji meant 'sexual relations' and it being a sin because the Sikh would not be married to the Muslim woman...and that would be the reason for the Sikh not being the Guru's 'sikh' ?

That would make more sense.

Because the example you gave, says nothing about marrying a non-Sikh.

Examples like that are irrelevant to the topic.. all they do instead is spread hate amongst the religions.

This is from the times of Guru Gobind Singh ji?

Because the example you gave, says nothing about marrying a non-Sikh.

52 Hukums of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj

38)Sir munae noo kanaiaa nahi daeni. Uos ghar daevni jithae Akal Purukh di sikhi ha, jo karzaai naa hovae, bhalae subhaa da hovae, bibaeki atae gyanvaan hovae - Do not given a daughter's hand to a clean shaven. Give her hand in a house where God's Sikhi exists, where the household is not in debt, is of a good nature, is disciplined and knowledgable.

If these 52 Hakums are correct then how people are debating the Treh Mudra (sp?)? Also, Udhasi's are not Khalsa and yet they are Sikh so how do they fit in?

Were the 52 Hukams written during Guru Gobind Singh Ji's time, or were they written afterwards based on what he 'said'?