Is the Sarovar 'clean'

sat sri akaal people!

Im going to ask you all a couple of questions, and I dont mean offense what so ever. I am a Sikh, learning about my own religion and sikhawareness has some useful sources of information.

Is the Sarovar in the Golden Temple clean? I went there recently, and it looked ok. My mum asked me to go in and pay respects, but I couldnt in the beginning- then just went in. I saw people frantically pushing about, trying to get in..and made me think- is it clean? If you are sweating etc, surely its gets in the water right?..then some people drink it- its Amrit

And another point- Im just confused cos Sikhs shouldnt really believe in miracles and these people went, thinking that they'd get luck (maybe they will, I dont know).

You have to work HARD as well as pray/ kar seva to get far in life?

If i repaeted this thread- or if it has been discussed earlier, I apologise- just give me the thread..

Cheers!

There are 2 ways to answer u question, a deeper way and the obvious answer so i'll answer both and you can decide which one you were looking for.

The Deeper Answer:

The heart and Mind. Don't go to any gurudwara with your mind infront of you. Go with your heart infront and your head on your palm. The mind says is the Sarovar Clean, the heart says let me wash myself in the Amrit filled Sarovar. So the mind in relation to the body must be thinking I am already clean and i don't want to get dirty, but are you clean on the inside? Bathing in the Sarovar does not only purifies your outerself, but if one goes with the right set of mind, it does clense your innerself. The heart wants to purify itself so it jumps right in before the mind bring in logic and starts to question the purity of the water and creates doubts rather than the purity of your innerself.

Water itself is VERY sensative with absorbing Vibrations of gurbani and the next most sensative is dirt. Many times in the SGGS talks about being the dirt under the feet of the saints or bathing in the dirt of the saints.

The Obvious answer:

As far as i know the Water does get changed every so-often. I don't know how polluted the water is with bacteria and personally it really doesn't matter to me.

Luck does not exits only Karma exists. It could be another way of saying one gets good karma by going to visit the Golden Temple i guess.

i hope i didn't offend you, if so i apologzie.

Waheguru

Khalistani Singh,

Its not a ritual to bath at amritsar sarowar. Lot of ill-diseased people did get cured by takin bath there by having faith in guroo ram das creation of sarowar. Its not nice to mock something you have no idea about.

Sikhi is far more complexed than soo called scentific research or far more advanced to get fit into this little world of western life-style.

Drinking, nor bathing in the water is gonna get rid of your sins or wuteva.

Veer ji, can you please explain the following quote. Ram Das Sarova is also known as the Sarova at the Harmandir Sahib and the last line which states it is a gift from the perfect Guru. Is it a ritual to bathe at the Sarovar at Harmandir Sahib?? or Can it be a Transforming experience given that you have gone there with complete Sincerity and the Purity of your mind and heart is filled with love???

Page 625

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ik-oNkaar satgur parsaad.

Bathing in the nectar tank of Ram Das,

raamdaas sarovar naatay.

all sins are erased.

sabh utray paap kamaatay.

One becomes immaculately pure, taking this cleansing bath.

nirmal ho-ay kar isnaanaa.

The Perfect Guru has bestowed this gift. ||1||

gur poorai keenay daanaa. ||1||

Waheguru

aaaaaaaw

Same Quote comes up all the time!

its not the BATH in the LITTERAL SAROWAR!

it means RAMDAAS's SAROWAR OF NAAAAM!

Its more hindu-mat that sins will be removed by bathing in holy rivers!

Sikhi teaches us to bath in Ram Da's Sarovar of NAAM!

I think above Shabad Is composed By Guru Arjan Dev jee :)

bhull chukk maaf

GurFAteh

I was watching the Shabad Gurban on Z tv this morning, and they had done Kar Seva on the Sarova, where they removed all of the water. One of our relatives went there and they saw people literally taking the mud and dirt in their chunnis and pugs to their homes. They had ran out of buckets to remove the mud, so they used their pugs to remove the mud.

FYI. I also heard that Mr. Tohra who died of a heart-attack died doing seva of the Sarovar.

Whether what I'm about to state is true or not, I don't know..

Apparently, this woman ages ago back in the old times got married off to a guy who couldn't walk and had really bad illnesses. No one would except her into their family and stuff and she use to do a lot of Seva at Harmandir Sahib. Therefore, she placed the basket down in which she carried her husband on her head and went to ask for Roti from Harmandir Sahib. As she went, her husband had heard great things about the water and he grabbed hold of a branch of a tree that was nearby and pushed himself inside the water. He went in and as he came out, all was cured. He had no bad skin problems and he could walk and stuff. His wife came back and didn't believe that he was her husband. However, the hand that he held the branch with was still badly bruised. He placed the hand inside the water and took it out, it was better.

This is a hard to believe story, I know. It's one of those things you have to see to believe. I just want to say, even though people go inside of the water believeing it may cure them. It may not actually do that. I've just been taught and brought up with, to see what stuff such as Amrit can do, you must believe it, if you don't believe it, how can you expect it to actually work?

Pul Chuk Maaf

Fateh

aaaaaaaw

Same Quote comes up all the time!

its not the BATH in the LITTERAL SAROWAR!

it means RAMDAAS's SAROWAR OF NAAAAM!

Its more hindu-mat that sins will be removed by bathing in holy rivers!

Sikhi teaches us to bath in Ram Da's Sarovar of NAAM!

I think above Shabad Is composed By Guru Arjan Dev jee :)

bhull chukk maaf

GurFAteh

If bathing in the Sarovar cannot help you, then what aid does drinking Amrit when taking Amrit do?? Isn't it just water with sugar in it?? what difference is it then?? One could easily state that whenever Amrit is mentioned in the SGGS it is telling you to drink the Amrit of Naam on the inside??!!??

Taking amrit and becoming Khalsa is a change in living. I've also heard stories, where some uncle went into the sarovar and came back with a very bad rash?

I didn't think Sikhism believed in rituals as the Hindus wash themselves in the Ganges River. Maybe its just the thoughts of being in the guru's sarovar which actually changes people.

Waheguru Satnam,

Gurjote

Change occurs on the inside, the outside action becomes an excuse.

Water has significance to spirituality whether one believes it or not. Water becomes Amrit when it is placed next to the guru, because of the sensativity that water has to attracting vibrations. When there is a huge sarovar placed next to the guru and bani is recited 24 hours a day, in what state do u think that water is in.

Gurudwaras were built on the places where guru ji stayed, any place where any guru had rested or lived became a gurudwara because the area where guru had stayed gets charged with vibrations.

Why is said many times to bathe in the dust of saints. Dust?? That seems like ritual to me. The difference between the dust in ur house and the dust of the saint is because the saint is transforming the dust with his vibrations. The dirt on Sangat's feets who come from far away come to the sarovar to bathe. I would rather bathe in that 'dirty' than bathing in the clean water in my shower.

Vibrations are only tranfereed if you are able to obsorb them. One could live in that water and not change. If one is not sensative to the vibrations then how can one feel them, to let them in to change him. It is your suceptability <spell> that transforms you.

A story I heard of while in India. This is from the 1970's so not to farr off. There was a fellow who had a stroke and his right side was paralyzed. A few days later he had another strike and his left side was paralyzed, his faith gave him the courage to move infront of a bullock cart of sangat going to harimandar sahib. They gladly picked him up and took him there. When they got they they informed the SGPC of the situation and they got a bed and a few sevadaars took him to the "Dukh Bhanjani Beri". They basically threw him in the sarovaar. He screamed with a very loud ache. Then one arm started to work, then the other etc , etc. That fellow became compltetly cured of his stroke, and his paralysis. For those of you who have seen stroke patients as I have, who are paralyzed and have lost speech you can better understand this miracle and how it effects a person anf there family. My point being is that for sure all sarovaars have these properties but you need to walk the steps of faith to get in the sarovar.

nah man

hwo can U say that ur inward filth is removed by Shwoeing in a Sarowar of Jal

its the Sarovar of NAAM

Amrit is a COMPLETLY different thing!

I am not saying that i will be liberated by bathing in the sarovar, but i will surely be affected, and i have been.

As for the paaps, it is not as in Catholics you have to repent your sins to the priests. So you can sin and go bathe in the Sarovar to remove them. It is obviously not that simple.

All i am saying is that Bathing in the Sarovar has effects on your body and your inner-self.

lol bath! remember japjee sahib

phareeai hathh pair than dhaeh ||

When the hands and the feet and the body are dirty,

paanee dhhothai outharas khaeh ||

water can wash away the dirt.

mooth paleethee kaparr hoe ||

When the clothes are soiled and stained by urine,

dhae saaboon leeai ouhu dhhoe ||

soap can wash them clean.

bhareeai math paapaa kai sa(n)g ||

But when the intellect is stained and polluted by sin,

ouhu dhhopai naavai kai ra(n)g ||

it can only be cleansed by the Love of the Name.

pu(n)nee paapee aakhan naahi ||

Virtue and vice do not come by mere words;

kar kar karanaa likh lai jaahu ||

actions repeated, over and over again, are engraved on the soul.

aapae beej aapae hee khaahu ||

You shall harvest what you plant.

naanak hukamee aavahu jaahu ||20||

O Nanak, by the Hukam of God's Command, we come and go in reincarnation. ||2