Descriptions of Khalsa Warriors in Pracheen Panth Prakash?

Can any one quote any descriptions of the Khalsa Warriors from Pracheen Panth Prakash? Or indeed any other historical source.

After the issue of wether its practical to be muscle bound or not and to what extent... Narsinga could you help me out here as you mentioned something similar previously. I have heard some good history but that was from Nidar Singh at the Akhara but have not been able to go again unfortunatley.

Being someone who trains, it is always a problem for me to decide weather to get bigger or smaller. I naturally carry weight and so have more muscle would be benfical in boosting basal metabolic rate. i have to do lots of cardio n watch my diet like a hawk to stay lean, but it doesnt last long as my weight yo yos up and down. some indication of Khalsa Warrior perpective on the ideal warrior physique would be helpful. i thank everyone in advance. :) oh and take it frm me bodybuilding makes u vain... egomaniac... not good for the soul.

Have a look at the Sarbloh.info and Shastarvidiya.org websites. The latter is searchable using the Google engine. The Sanjamkiriya.org website will be up later this year and provide an online resource for health/training/spiritual techniques, etc based on Akali Nihang Khalsa training regimes and Ayurdeva.

There's a lot more coming, but given the vast scope of the projects involved we ask that you be patient....

'History of the Panjab' - Syad Muhammad Latif

"The Sikhs used opium and also indulged freely in the use of bhang which they called sukha from its supposed soothing effect. The use of tobacco was unknown to them, and it is still forbidden."

"The Sikhs, with the exception of the converts from the Brahmans and Chhatrias, ate all kinds of animal food."

"The Akalis, or immortals, were fanatic priests at the temple of Amritsar... The class of these devotees was founded by Guru Govind, whose institutions it firmly maintained against the innovations of the Byragi faqir, Banda. The always exclaim Akal Akal in their prayers, wear blue chequered clothes, put bangles of steel round their wrists, and a circular, sharpened, bright sword round their head."

"The Akalis, or never dying (a most remakable class of the devotee of the Sikh sect), still wear blue chequered dress."

"The equality given to all Sikhs dissatisfied some of the Brahmans and Chhatris, who deserted the Guru; but his chief strength consisted in the lower orders of the Hindus who flocked to his banner and received the Pahal initiation. All were allowed to bathe in the sacred pool, and to assemble in the holy temple of Amritsar to offer prayers and hear the Granth of the great Nanak"

"The disciples of Govind, to whom he gave the name of the "Khalsa," were required to dedicate themselves from birth, or initiation, to arms, always to keep steel with them in some shape, to allow their hair to grow, to wear a blue dress, to refrain from wearing red clothes or eating or smoking tobacco. All prohibitions relationg to food and liquors were abolished. They were enjoined to salute each other with the phrase "Wah Guru ji ka Khalsa; sri Wah Guru ji ki Fateh;" which means "The Khalsa is of the Lord! Victory attend the Lord!"

GurFateh.

Cheers Narsingha and challenge_everything. The info u posted is quite interesting. The book Warrior Saints aslo has quotes from britsh and european soldiers talking about the Akaalis and the Nihangs. Got me well pumped when they describe the warriors and how they feared they would be "eaten" by these "monsters" lol. :twisted:

And sodhi... that dude was a HUGE ... but could he fight? lol

I dunno Singh Could he fight???

Can you fight???

Can i fight???

Can n e one fight???

(Sorry theres no need for these comments but i ave jus come bk from wrok it nearly 1am n i loosin it)

Guest Javanmard

NOt sure if that type of body provides the flexibility one needs for shastarvidya. The British were referring to fightiong techniques not just muscles.

As a general point, musclebound hunks are easiest to kill within Shastar Vidiya. Execssive strength or muscle bulk is more a disadvantage when it comes to combat with weapons....

..one needs balance of strength, flexibility, agility, balance, stamina...but most of all needs sharpness of mind and intellect. Without the mind, muscle becomes a waste...excessive muscle becomes an excessive waste...

• 2 weeks later...

singhs were advised to keep their weight under 100kgs (roughly 15-and-a-half stone). that was because the horse had to carry them (& plus equipment on top of that).

if your weight is fluctuating, try to work more circuit training into your regime. even better, take up sanjam kriya.

As a general point, musclebound hunks are easiest to kill within Shastar Vidiya. Execssive strength or muscle bulk is more a disadvantage when it comes to combat with weapons....

..one needs balance of strength, flexibility, agility, balance, stamina...but most of all needs sharpness of mind and intellect. Without the mind, muscle becomes a waste...excessive muscle becomes an excessive waste...

You can have those qulaities and be muscle bound ;)

hunk:

1. Informal. A large piece; a chunk: a hunk of fresh bread.

2. Slang. A sexually attractive man with a well-developed physique.

from www.dictionary.com

i may be wrong, but i believe he's referring to no. 1... those musclebound chunks of fresh bread... who can resist them?! :wink:

hey guv what is sunjam kriya>? i go up and down in weight cuz i eat little and hard hard to get very lean and then cravings kick in and i eat 5000cals a day for two weeks and then im back to square one. lol. i currently 13.5-14st. in the pic i am 12.5sh or under. i will be lean by camp so i may challenge u to a duel and so u kant refuse due to me big weight advantage on the gladiators thingy. hahahahaha

• 2 months later...

I found this interesting discussion on sikhnet:

source:

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discussion....B8?OpenDocument

Gur Fateh!

I have long been confused as to the exact status of Banda Singh Bahadur within the KHALSA Panth.

Whilst there is no doubt he was a warrior par excellence, his actions nearing the end of his life raise some interesting contradictions with the views presently aired on him.

All traditional accounts indicate that he broke away from the Khalsa Panth initiated by Guru Gobind Singh through his innovations of Red clothing (as opposed to the Blue of the Akali Nihang Singhs), insistance on extreme vegetarianism (he himself follow a strict Vaishnav Diet against what nearly all puratan sources (Koer Singh, Bhai Santokh Singh etc) make reference to as the 'meat' eating "Tat" Khalsa under the command of Guru Sahib's widow), changing of the Khalsa salutation to "Fateh Darshan" and a host of other ideologies.

There is even mention of an incidence where the TAT Khalsa stuffed pork chops into the mouths of the "Bandai" Khalsa outside the Akal Thakt (Gurbilas P10).

To cut a long story short, Banda Singh Bahadur is viewed quite negatively in 'puratan' history accounts, a sentiment which seems to have lasted well into the 19th century for even Macaufille in his works on the Sikhs, indicates that the views expressed concerning Banda Singh Bahadur were curious and not favourable despite his positive contributions during the initial portions of his life.

Yet, in most modern accounts and certainly most parchar we hear today speaks vey highly of Banda Singh Bahadur and his shaheedi, despite the aforementioned "traditionalist" accounts of his supposed errs.

So which is it? Please could some of the learned forum members shed light on this topic? Why do we speak so highly of Banda Singh Bahadur and even adopt some of his reforms, yet reject the Bandai Khalsa (who still exist in Kashmir, I was surprised to learn!)?

BENTI TO CYBER-SANGAT: MY MESSAGE IS "NOT" CONCERNING DIET OR MEAT, PLEASE COULD WE AVOID SIDETRACKING INTO THAT TOPIC, IT IS DIRECTLY CONCERNING THE STATUS OF BANDA SINGH BAHADUR.

Lakwinder Singh responsd to amardeep singh ji

Amardeep singh ji

Banda singh bahadur was a Bairagi sadhu who wasw camping near Nanded when he saw Guru ji.HE tried his magical powers on Guru ji but failed.He came under the influence of Guru ji and embraced sikhism.He was baptized at Nanded &given instructions by guru ji while sending him along Panj Piaras.Hewas chief but there was panchayat system to guide him on his actions.

Sikhs of Punjab were instructed by guru ji to join forces with Banda singh and they did.That is how he decimated the city of Sirhind where Guru ji's younger sons were bricked alive and established khalsa rule around Ambala.

Sikhs were fighting with him when he was surrounded in a small fort near Gurdaspur.Mughals laid siege and captured him alive.He was beheaded in Delhi along his infant son when he refused to renounce Sikhism for Islam.

As far as i remember there was no discord between Sikhs when he was alive.After his death some of his followers started following him some sort of cult leader and khalsa became Bandai Khalsa and Tat Khalsa.

There was a dispute who should lead sikhs.Bhai Mani singh ji decided by throwing two papers in the Sarovar of Golden temple.Paper with Tat khalsa floated and leadership was decided in their favour.Bandai khalsa agreed without any protest.That is the spirit of sikhi.

How does meat come in the picture , i am not able to understand.But i do know that some Hindu sects like Bairagi mandal etc want to project him as a Hindu hero even though he had renounced Hinduism and became a khalsa.One can be either a vaishnav sadhu or a khalsa.One cannot be both at the same time as these are two opposite paths.

But such things are not new and are confined to very few fanatic elements who want to rewrite History.WE need not give any prominence to these people.It is similar to the way some fanatic organistaions are distorting writings of Dasam Granth and misinterpreting the same.

Sikhs are there all over kashmir and some of them are from Brahmin ancestory also besides found around Ranbir singh Pura area.I find them more firm in sikh beliefs than many of us.

Please discuss :D :D