Gurbani is the answer to everything

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

For quite sometime I have been bookmarking some shabads after running a search on Sikhitothemax. Its amazing how Gurbani has ALL the answers to ALL your questions, pains and problems. I am going to paste some of those shabads here under the heading of what I think they deal with.

A good Sikh

Blessed is the glimpse and the company of the Guru because there only one visualizes God alone in all the six philosophies.

Getting enlightened, one identifies the teachings of the Guru even in the secular affairs.

Having one women as wife he (the Sikh) is a celebate and considers any other's wife his daughter or a sister.

To covet another man's property is forbidden (to a Sikh) as the swine is to the Muslim and the cow to a Hindu.

The Sikh being householder abnegates tonsure, the sacred thread (Janeu), etc. and forsakes them like abominable faeces.

The Sikh of the Guru accepts transcendental Lord as the sole fount of higher knowledge and the meditation.

In the congregation of such people any body could become authentic as well as respectable.

A moment of pleasure and endless pain

Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:

For a moment of sexual pleasure, you shall suffer in pain for millions of days.

For an instant, you may savor pleasure, but afterwards, you shall regret it, again and again. ||1||

O blind man, meditate on the Lord, the Lord, your King.

Your day is drawing near. ||1||Pause||

You are deceived, beholding with your eyes, the bitter melon and swallow-wort.

But, like the companionship of a poisonous snake, so is the desire for another's spouse. ||2||

For the sake of your enemy, you commit sins, while you neglect the reality of your faith.

Your friendship is with those who abandon you, and you are angry with your friends. ||3||

The entire world is entangled in this way; he alone is saved, who has the Perfect Guru.

Says Nanak, I have crossed over the terrifying world-ocean; my body has become sanctified. ||4||5||127||

Follow only the Guru and no one else

Fourth Mehl:

The self-willed manmukh is occupied with greed all day long, although he may claim otherwise.

At night, he is overcome by fatigue, and all his nine holes are weakened.

Over the head of the manmukh is the order of the woman; to her, he ever holds out his promises of goodness.

Those men who act according to the orders of women are impure, filthy and foolish.

Those impure men are engrossed in sexual desire; they consult their women and walk accordingly.

One who walks as the True Guru tells him to, is the true man, the best of the best.

He Himself created all women and men; the Lord Himself plays every play.

You created the entire creation; O Nanak, it is the best of the best. ||2||

( Note : Before anyone raises a cry, this is Gurbani. We all agree that Guruji is talking about evil people and not labelling any gender as bad. )

False worldly love

Raag Dayv-Gandhaaree, Ninth Mehl:

In this world, I have seen love to be false.

Whether they are spouses or friends, all are concerned only with their own happiness. ||1||Pause||

All say, ""Mine, mine"", and attach their consciousness to you with love.

But at the very last moment, none shall go along with you. How strange are the ways of the world! ||1||

The foolish mind has not yet reformed itself, although I have grown weary of continually instructing it.

O Nanak, one crosses over the terrifying world-ocean, singing the Songs of God. ||2||3||6||38||47||

He takes care of all

Raag Goojaree, Fifth Mehl:

Why, O mind, do you plot and plan, when the Dear Lord Himself provides for your care?

From rocks and stones He created living beings; He places their nourishment before them. ||1||

O my Dear Lord of souls, one who joins the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation, is saved.

By Guru's Grace, the supreme status is obtained, and the dry wood blossoms forth again in lush greenery. ||1||Pause||

Mothers, fathers, friends, children and spouses-no one is the support of anyone else.

For each and every person, our Lord and Master provides sustenance. Why are you so afraid, O mind? ||2||

The flamingoes fly hundreds of miles, leaving their young ones behind.

Who feeds them, and who teaches them to feed themselves? Have you ever thought of this in your mind? ||3||

All the nine treasures, and the eighteen supernatural powers are held by our Lord and Master in the Palm of His Hand.

Servant Nanak is devoted, dedicated, forever a sacrifice to You, Lord. Your Expanse has no limit, no boundary. ||4||5||

How to get peace

Bhairao, Fifth Mehl:

There is no peace in earning lots of money.

There is no peace in watching dances and plays.

There is no peace in conquering lots of countries.

All peace comes from singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, Har, Har. ||1||

You shall obtain peace, poise and bliss,

when you find the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, by great good fortune. As Gurmukh, utter the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. ||1||Pause||

Mother, father, children and spouse - all place the mortal in bondage.

Religious rituals and actions done in ego place the mortal in bondage.

If the Lord, the Shatterer of bonds, abides in the mind,

then peace is obtained, dwelling in the home of the self deep within. ||2||

Everyone is a beggar; God is the Great Giver.

The Treasure of Virtue is the Infinite, Endless Lord.

That person, unto whom God grants His Mercy

- that humble being chants the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. ||3||

I offer my prayer to my Guru.

O Primal Lord God, Treasure of Virtue, please bless me with Your Grace.

Says Nanak, I have come to Your Sanctuary.

If it pleases You, please protect me, O Lord of the World. ||4||28||41||

No satisfaction

Dhanaasaree, Fifth Mehl:

The desires of the greatest of the great kings and landlords cannot be satisfied.

They remain engrossed in Maya, intoxicated with the pleasures of their wealth; their eyes see nothing else at all. ||1||

No one has ever found satisfaction in sin and corruption.

The flame is not satisfied by more fuel; how can one be satisfied without the Lord? ||Pause||

Day after day, he eats his meals with many different foods, but his hunger is not eradicated.

He runs around like a dog, searching in the four directions. ||2||

The lustful, lecherous man desires many women, and he never stops peeking into the homes of others.

Day after day, he commits adultery again and again, and then he regrets his actions; he wastes away in misery and greed. ||3||

The Name of the Lord, Har, Har, is incomparable and priceless; it is the treasure of Ambrosial Nectar.

The Saints abide in peace, poise and bliss; O Nanak, through the Guru, this is known. ||4||6||

Raag Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

The thirst of only a few is quenched. ||1||Pause||

People may accumulate hundreds of thousands, millions, tens of millions, and yet the mind is not restrained.

They only yearn for more and more. ||1||

They may have all sorts of beautiful women, but still, they commit adultery in the homes of others.

They do not distinguish between good and bad. ||2||

They wander around lost, trapped in the myriad bonds of Maya; they do not sing the Praises of the Treasure of Virtue.

Their minds are engrossed in poison and corruption. ||3||

Those, unto whom the Lord shows His Mercy, remain dead while yet alive. In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, they cross over the ocean of Maya.

O Nanak, those humble beings are honored in the Court of the Lord. ||4||1||154||

Easier said than done

Siree Raag, Fifth Mehl, Seventh House:

Relying on Your Mercy, Dear Lord, I have indulged in sensual pleasures.

Like a foolish child, I have made mistakes. O Lord, You are my Father and Mother. ||1||

It is easy to speak and talk,

but it is difficult to accept Your Will. ||1||Pause||

I stand tall; You are my Strength. I know that You are mine.

Inside of all, and outside of all, You are our Self-sufficient Father. ||2||

O Father, I do not know-how can I know Your Way?

He frees us from bondage, O Saints, and saves us from possessiveness. ||3||

Becoming Merciful, my Lord and Master has ended my comings and goings in reincarnation.

Meeting with the Guru, Nanak has recognized the Supreme Lord God. ||4||27||97||

Worldly relations

O man, you have not remembered the creator and have accepted the created as your creator.

Getting engrossed in wife or husband you have further created relationships of son, grandson, father and grandfather.

Daughters and sisters proudly become happy or annoyed and such is the case of all relatives.

All other relation's such as the house of father-in-law, one's mother's house, the house of the maternal uncles and other relations of the family are disdainful.

If conduct and thoughts are civilised, one gets honour before the high ups of the society.

However, at the end, when caught up in the web of death, no companion takes notice of the person.

Bereft of the grace of the perfect Guru, all persons become scared of death.

Raag Saarang, Ninth Mehl:

No one will be your help and support, except the Lord.

Who has any mother, father, child or spouse? Who is anyone's brother or sister? ||1||Pause||

All the wealth, land and property which you consider your own

- when you leave your body, none of it shall go along with you. Why do you cling to them? ||1||

God is Merciful to the meek, forever the Destroyer of fear, and yet you do not develop any loving relationship with Him.

Says Nanak, the whole world is totally false; it is like a dream in the night. ||2||1||

Nothing belongs to you

Todee, Fifth Mehl, Third House, Chau-Padas:

Oh! Oh! You cling to Maya, you fool; this is not a trivial matter.

That which you consider to be yours, is not yours. ||Pause||

You do not remember your Lord, even for an instant.

That which belongs to others, you believe to be your own. ||1||

The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is always with you, but you do not enshrine it within your mind.

You have attached your consciousness to that which you must eventually abandon. ||2||

You collect that which will bring you only hunger and thirst.

You have not obtained the supplies of the Ambrosial Naam. ||3||

You have fallen into the pit of sexual desire, anger and emotional attachment.

By Guru's Grace, O Nanak, a rare few are saved. ||4||1||16||

The only true relationship is with God

Maaroo, First Mehl:

Neither the sisters, nor the sisters-in-law, nor the mothers-in-law, shall remain.

The true relationship with the Lord cannot be broken; it was established by the Lord, O sister soul-brides. ||1||

I am a sacrifice to my Guru; I am forever a sacrifice to Him.

Wandering so far without the Guru, I grew weary; now, the Guru has united me in Union with my Husband Lord. ||1||Pause||

Aunts, uncles, grandparents and sisters-in-law

- they all come and go; they cannot remain. They are like boatloads of passengers embarking. ||2||

Uncles, aunts, and cousins of all sorts, cannot remain.

The caravans are full, and great crowds of them are loading up at the riverbank. ||3||

O sister-friends, my Husband Lord is dyed in the color of Truth.

She who lovingly remembers her True Husband Lord is not separated from Him again. ||4||

All the seasons are good, in which the soul-bride falls in love with the True Lord.

That soul-bride, who knows her Husband Lord, sleeps in peace, night and day. ||5||

At the ferry, the ferryman announces, ""O travellers, hurry up and cross over.""

I have seen them crossing over there, on the boat of the True Guru. ||6||

Some are getting on board, and some have already set out; some are weighed down with their loads.

Those who deal in Truth, remain with their True Lord God. ||7||

I am not called good, and I see none who are bad.

O Nanak, one who conquers and subdues his ego, becomes just like the True Lord. ||8||2||10||

Wake up

Bihaagraa, Fifth Mehl, Chhant:

Why are you imbued with the love of another? That path is very dangerous.

O sinner, no one is your friend.

No one shall be your friend, and you shall forever regret your actions.

You have not chanted with your tongue the Praises of the Sustainer of the World; when will these days come again?

The leaf, separated from the branch, shall not be joined with it again; all alone, it falls on its way to death.

Prays Nanak, without the Lord's Name, the soul wanders, forever suffering. ||1||

You are practicing deception secretly, but the Lord, the Knower, knows all.

When the Righteous Judge of Dharma reads your account, you shall be squeezed like a sesame seed in the oil-press.

For the actions you committed, you shall suffer the penalty; you shall be consigned to countless reincarnations.

Imbued with the love of Maya, the great enticer, you shall lose the jewel of this human life.

Except for the One Name of the Lord, you are clever in everything else.

Prays Nanak, those who have such pre-ordained destiny are attracted to doubt and emotional attachment. ||2||

No one advocates for the ungrateful person, who is separated from the Lord.

The hard-hearted Messenger of Death comes and seizes him.

He seizes him, and leads him away, to pay for his evil deeds; he was imbued with Maya, the great enticer.

He was not Gurmukh - he did not chant the Glorious Praises of the Lord of the Universe; and now, the hot irons are put to his chest.

He is ruined by sexual desire, anger and egotism; deprived of spiritual wisdom, he comes to regret.

Prays Nanak, by his cursed destiny he has gone astray; with his tongue, he does not chant the Name of the Lord. ||3||

Without You, God, no one is our savior.

It is Your Nature, Lord, to save the sinners.

O Savior of sinners, I have entered Your Sanctuary, O Lord and Master, Compassionate Ocean of Mercy.

Please, rescue me from the deep, dark pit, O Creator, Cherisher of all hearts.

I seek Your Sanctuary; please, cut away these heavy bonds, and give me the Support of the One Name.

Prays Nanak, please, give me Your Hand and save me, O Lord of the Universe, Merciful to the meek. ||4||

That day is judged to be fruitful, when I merged with my Lord.

Total happiness was revealed, and pain was taken far away.

Peace, tranquility, joy and eternal happiness come from constantly singing the Glorious Praises of the Sustainer of the World.

Joining the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, I lovingly remember the Lord; I shall not wander again in reincarnation.

He has naturally hugged me close in His Loving Embrace, and the seed of my primal destiny has sprouted.

Prays Nanak, He Himself has met me, and He shall never again leave me. ||5||4||7||

Siree Raag, Fifth Mehl:

People eat what they believe to be sweet, but it turns out to be bitter in taste.

They attach their affections to brothers and friends, uselessly engrossed in corruption.

They vanish without a moment's delay; without God's Name, they are stunned and amazed. ||1||

O my mind, attach yourself to the service of the True Guru.

Whatever is seen, shall pass away. Abandon the intellectualizations of your mind. ||1||Pause||

Like the mad dog running around in all directions,

the greedy person, unaware, consumes everything, edible and non-edible alike.

Engrossed in the intoxication of sexual desire and anger, people wander through reincarnation over and over again. ||2||

Maya has spread out her net, and in it, she has placed the bait.

The bird of desire is caught, and cannot find any escape, O my mother.

One who does not know the Lord who created him, comes and goes in reincarnation over and over again. ||3||

By various devices, and in so many ways, this world is enticed.

They alone are saved, whom the All-powerful, Infinite Lord protects.

The servants of the Lord are saved by the Love of the Lord. O Nanak, I am forever a sacrifice to them. ||4||21||91||

Stay in chardi kala everyone!

Profane music

Raag Bilaaval, Fifth Mehl, Chau-Padas And Du-Padas, Sixth House:

O my fascinating Lord, let me not listen to the faithless cynic, singing his songs and tunes, and chanting his useless words. ||1||Pause||

I serve, serve, serve, serve the Holy Saints; forever and ever, I do this.

The Primal Lord, the Great Giver, has blessed me with the gift of fearlessness. Joining the Company of the Holy, I sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. ||1||

My tongue is imbued with the Praises of the inaccessible and unfathomable Lord, and my eyes are drenched with the Blessed Vision of His Darshan.

Be Merciful to me, O Destroyer of the pains of the meek, that I may enshrine Your Lotus Feet within my heart. ||2||

Beneath all, and above all; this is the vision I saw.

I have destroyed, destroyed, destroyed my pride, since the True Guru implanted His Mantra within me. ||3||

Immeasurable, immeasurable, immeasurable is the Merciful Lord; he cannot be weighed. He is the Lover of His devotees.

Whoever enters the Sanctuary of Guru Nanak, is blessed with the gifts of fearlessness and peace. ||4||||1||81||

Singing and dancing

Gauree Gwaarayree, Third Mehl:

Some sing on and on, but their minds do not find happiness.

In egotism, they sing, but it is wasted uselessly.

Those who love the Naam, sing the song.

They contemplate the True Bani of the Word, and the Shabad. ||1||

They sing on and on, if it pleases the True Guru.

Their minds and bodies are embellished and adorned, attuned to the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

Some sing, and some perform devotional worship.

Without heart-felt love, the Naam is not obtained.

True devotional worship consists of love for the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

The devotee keeps his Beloved clasped tightly to his heart. ||2||

The fools perform devotional worship by showing off;

they dance and dance and jump all around, but they only suffer in terrible pain.

By dancing and jumping, devotional worship is not performed.

But one who dies in the Word of the Shabad, obtains devotional worship. ||3||

The Lord is the Lover of His devotees; He inspires them to perform devotional worship.

True devotional worship consists of eliminating selfishness and conceit from within.

My True God knows all ways and means.

O Nanak, He forgives those who recognize the Naam. ||4||4||24||

Foul language

Shalok, First Mehl:

O Nanak, speaking insipid words, the body and mind become insipid.

He is called the most insipid of the insipid; the most insipid of the insipid is his reputation.

The insipid person is discarded in the Court of the Lord, and the insipid one's face is spat upon.

The insipid one is called a fool; he is beaten with shoes in punishment. ||1||

Agony of a soul

Raag Soohee, The Word Of Shaykh Fareed Jee:

Burning and burning, writhing in pain, I wring my hands.

I have gone insane, seeking my Husband Lord.

O my Husband Lord, You are angry with me in Your Mind.

The fault is with me, and not with my Husband Lord. ||1||

O my Lord and Master, I do not know Your excellence and worth.

Having wasted my youth, now I come to regret and repent. ||1||Pause||

O black bird, what qualities have made you black?

"I have been burnt by separation from my Beloved."

Without her Husband Lord, how can the soul-bride ever find peace?

When He becomes merciful, then God unites us with Himself. ||2||

The lonely soul-bride suffers in the pit of the world.

She has no companions, and no friends.

In His Mercy, God has united me with the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

And when I look again, then I find God as my Helper. ||3||

The path upon which I must walk is very depressing.

It is sharper than a two-edged sword, and very narrow.

That is where my path lies.

O Shaykh Fareed, think of that path early on. ||4||1||

Human life is precious

Aasaa:

Says Shaykh Fareed, O my dear friend, attach yourself to the Lord.

This body shall turn to dust, and its home shall be a neglected graveyard. ||1||

You can meet the Lord today, O Shaykh Fareed, if you restrain your bird-like desires which keep your mind in turmoil. ||1||Pause||

If I had known that I was to die, and not return again,

I would not have ruined myself by clinging to the world of falsehood. ||2||

So speak the Truth, in righteousness, and do not speak falsehood.

The disciple ought to travel the route, pointed out by the Guru. ||3||

Seeing the youths being carried across, the hearts of the beautiful young soul-brides are encouraged.

Those who side with the glitter of gold, are cut down with a saw. ||4||

O Shaykh, no one's life is permanent in this world.

That seat, upon which we now sit - many others sat on it and have since departed. ||5||

As the swallows appear in the month of Katik, forest fires in the month of Chayt, and lightning in Saawan,

and as the bride's arms adorn her husband's neck in winter;||6||

Just so, the transitory human bodies pass away. Reflect upon this in your mind.

It takes six months to form the body, but it breaks in an instant. ||7||

O Fareed, the earth asks the sky, ""Where have the boatmen gone?""

Some have been cremated, and some lie in their graves; their souls are suffering rebukes. ||8||2||

Fareed, when there was time for you to earn good karma, you were in love with the world instead.

Now, death has a strong foothold; when the load is full, it is taken away. ||8||

Fareed, the hours of the day are lost wandering around, and the hours of the night are lost in sleep.

God will call for your account, and ask you why you came into this world. ||38||

Fareed, where are your mother and father, who gave birth to you?

They have left you, but even so, you are not convinced that you shall also have to go. ||73||

Fareed, the mansions are vacant; those who lived in them have gone to live underground.

They remain there, in those unhonored graves.

O Shaykh, dedicate yourself to God; you will have to depart, today or tomorrow. ||97||

The moment of death

Shaloks Of Shaykh Fareed Jee:

The day of the bride's wedding is pre-ordained.

On that day, the Messenger of Death, of whom she had only heard, comes and shows its face.

It breaks the bones of the body and pulls the helpless soul out.

That pre-ordained time of marriage cannot be avoided. Explain this to your soul.

The soul is the bride, and death is the groom. He will marry her and take her away.

After the body sends her away with its own hands, whose neck will it embrace?

The bridge to hell is narrower than a hair; haven't you heard of it with your ears?

Fareed, the call has come; be careful now - don't let yourself be robbed. ||1||

Fareed, your beautiful body shall break apart, and the subtle thread of the breath shall be snapped.

In which house will the Messenger of Death be a guest today? ||68||

Do not slander

Fareed, if you have a keen understanding, then do not write black marks against anyone else.

Look underneath your own collar instead. ||6||

Return hatred with love

Fareed, do not turn around and strike those who strike you with their fists.

Kiss their feet, and return to your own home. ||7||

The whole world burns in the fire of sorrow

Fareed, I thought that I was in trouble; the whole world is in trouble!

When I climbed the hill and looked around, I saw this fire in each and every home. ||81||

Accept God's Will

Fifth Mehl:

Fareed, look upon pleasure and pain as the same; eradicate corruption from your heart.

Whatever pleases the Lord God is good; understand this, and you will reach His Court. ||109||

Detached

Siree Raag, Third Mehl:

The self-willed manmukhs are engrossed in emotional attachment; they are not balanced or detached.

They do not comprehend the Word of the Shabad. They suffer in pain forever, and lose their honor in the Court of the Lord.

The Gurmukhs shed their ego; attuned to the Naam, they find peace. ||1||

O my mind, day and night, you are always full of wishful hopes.

Serve the True Guru, and your emotional attachment shall be totally burnt away; remain detached within the home of your heart. ||1||Pause||

The Gurmukhs do good deeds and blossom forth; balanced and detached in the Lord, they are in ecstasy.

Night and day, they perform devotional worship, day and night; subduing their ego, they are carefree.

By great good fortune, I found the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation; I have found the Lord, with intuitive ease and ecstasy. ||2||

That person is a Holy Saadhu, and a renouncer of the world, whose heart is filled with the Naam.

His inner being is not touched by anger or dark energies at all; he has lost his selfishness and conceit.

The True Guru has revealed to him the Treasure of the Naam, the Name of the Lord; he drinks in the Sublime Essence of the Lord, and is satisfied. ||3||

Whoever has found it, has done so in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. Through perfect good fortune, such balanced detachment is attained.

The self-willed manmukhs wander around lost, but they do not know the True Guru. They are inwardly attached to egotism.

O Nanak, those who are attuned to the Shabad are dyed in the Color of the Lord's Name. Without the Fear of God, how can they retain this Color? ||4||8||41||

Siree Raag, Fifth Mehl:

As long as the soul-companion is with the body, it dwells in happiness.

But when the companion arises and departs, then the body-bride mingles with dust. ||1||

My mind has become detached from the world; it longs to see the Vision of God's Darshan.

Blessed is Your Place. ||1||Pause||

As long as the soul-husband dwells in the body-house, everyone greets you with respect.

But when the soul-husband arises and departs, then no one cares for you at all. ||2||

In this world of your parents' home, serve your Husband Lord; in the world beyond, in your in-laws' home, you shall dwell in peace.

Meeting with the Guru, be a sincere student of proper conduct, and suffering shall never touch you. ||3||

Everyone shall go to their Husband Lord. Everyone shall be given their ceremonial send-off after their marriage.

O Nanak, blessed are the happy soul-brides, who are in love with their Husband Lord. ||4||23||93||

Pauree:

Forever and ever, You are the only One; You set the play of duality in motion.

You created egotism and arrogant pride, and You placed greed within our beings.

Keep me as it pleases Your Will; everyone acts as You cause them to act.

Some are forgiven, and merge with You; through the Guru's Teachings, we are joined to You.

Some stand and serve You; without the Name, nothing else pleases them.

Any other task would be worthless to them-You have enjoined them to Your True Service.

In the midst of children, spouse and relations, some still remain detached; they are pleasing to Your Will.

Inwardly and outwardly, they are pure, and they are absorbed in the True Name. ||3||

Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

Those who implant the Word of the Guru's Shabad within their hearts

cut their connections with the five passions.

They keep the ten organs under their control;

their souls are enlightened. ||1||

They alone acquire such stability,

whom God blesses with His Mercy and Grace. ||1||Pause||

Friend and foe are one and the same to them.

Whatever they speak is wisdom.

Whatever they hear is the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

Whatever they see is meditation. ||2||

They awaken in peace and poise; they sleep in peace and poise.

That which is meant to be, automatically happens.

In peace and poise, they remain detached; in peace and poise, they laugh.

In peace and poise, they remain silent; in peace and poise, they chant. ||3||

In peace and poise they eat; in peace and poise they love.

The illusion of duality is easily and totally removed.

They naturally join the Saadh Sangat, the Society of the Holy.

In peace and poise, they meet and merge with the Supreme Lord God. ||4||

They are at peace in their homes, and they are at peace while detached.

In peace, their bodies' duality is eliminated.

Bliss comes naturally to their minds.

They meet the Lord, the Embodiment of Supreme Bliss. ||5||

In peaceful poise, they drink in the Ambrosial Nectar of the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

In peace and poise, they give to the poor.

Their souls naturally delight in the Lord's Sermon.

The Imperishable Lord abides with them. ||6||

In peace and poise, they assume the unchanging position.

In peace and poise, the unstruck vibration of the Shabad resounds.

In peace and poise, the celestial bells resound.

Within their homes, the Supreme Lord God is pervading. ||7||

With intuitive ease, they meet the Lord, according to their karma.

With intuitive ease, they meet with the Guru, in the true Dharma.

Those who know, attain the poise of intuitive peace.

Slave Nanak is a sacrifice to them. ||8||3||

Who can rescue you

Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

Those humble beings who are accustomed to the Lord's sublime essence,

are pierced through with loving devotional worship of the Lord's Lotus Feet. ||1||Pause||

All other pleasures look like ashes;

without the Naam, the Name of the Lord, the world is fruitless. ||1||

He Himself rescues us from the deep dark well.

Wondrous and Glorious are the Praises of the Lord of the Universe. ||2||

In the woods and meadows, and throughout the three worlds, the Sustainer of the Universe is pervading.

The Expansive Lord God is Merciful to all beings. ||3||

Says Nanak, that speech alone is excellent,

which is approved by the Creator Lord. ||4||94||163||

Ashtapadee:

Where there is no mother, father, children, friends or siblings

O my mind, there, only the Naam, the Name of the Lord, shall be with you as your help and support.

Where the great and terrible Messenger of Death shall try to crush you,

there, only the Naam shall go along with you.

Where the obstacles are so very heavy,

the Name of the Lord shall rescue you in an instant.

By performing countless religious rituals, you shall not be saved.

The Name of the Lord washes off millions of sins.

As Gurmukh, chant the Naam, O my mind.

O Nanak, you shall obtain countless joys. ||1||

Second Mehl:

This world is the room of the True Lord; within it is the dwelling of the True Lord.

By His Command, some are merged into Him, and some, by His Command, are destroyed.

Some, by the Pleasure of His Will, are lifted up out of Maya, while others are made to dwell within it.

No one can say who will be rescued.

O Nanak, he alone is known as Gurmukh, unto whom the Lord reveals Himself. ||3||

The benefactor Lord listened to the cries (of humanity) and sent Guru Nanak to this world.

He washed His feet, eulogised God and got his Disciples drink the ambrosia of his feet.

He preached in this darkage (kaliyug) that, saragun (Brahm) and nirgun (Parbrahm) are the same and identical.

Dharma was now established on its four feet and all the four castes (through fraternal feeling) were converted into one caste (of humanity).

Equating the poor with the prince, he spread the etiquette of humbly touching the feet.

Inverse is the game of the beloved; he got the egotist high heads bowed to feet.

Baba Nanak rescued this dark age (kaliyug) and recited ‘satinam’ mantr for one and all.

Guru Nanak came to redeem the kaliyug.

Mere talks won't get you anywhere

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 269

He says one thing, and does something else.

There is no love in his heart, and yet with his mouth he talks tall.

The Omniscient Lord God is the Knower of all.

He is not impressed by outward display.

One who does not practice what he preaches to others,

shall come and go in reincarnation, through birth and death.

One whose inner being is filled with the Formless Lord

by his teachings, the world is saved.

Those who are pleasing to You, God, know You.

Nanak falls at their feet. ||7||

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Aasaa on Pannaa 359

Aasaa, First Mehl:

The created being acts as he is made to act; what can be said to him, O Siblings of Destiny?

Whatever the Lord is to do, He is doing; what cleverness could be used to affect Him? ||1||

The Order of Your Will is so sweet, O Lord; this is pleasing to You.

O Nanak, he alone is honored with greatness, who is absorbed in the True Name. ||1||Pause||

The deeds are done according to pre-ordained destiny; no one can turn back this Order.

As it is written, so it comes to pass; no one can erase it. ||2||

He who talks on and on in the Lord's Court is known as a joker.

He is not successful in the game of chess, and his chessmen do not reach their goal. ||3||

By himself, no one is literate, learned or wise; no one is ignorant or evil.

When, as a slave, one praises the Lord, only then is he known as a human being. ||4||2||36||

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Aasaa on Pannaa 467

First Mehl:

The more one write and reads,

the more one burns.

The more one wanders at sacred shrines of pilgrimage,

the more one talks uselessly.

The more one wears religious robes, the more pain he causes his body.

O my soul, you must endure the consequences of your own actions.

One who does not eat the corn, misses out on the taste.

One obtains great pain, in the love of duality.

One who does not wear any clothes,

suffers night and day.

Through silence, he is ruined.

How can the sleeping one be awakened without the Guru?

One who goes barefoot

suffers by his own actions.

One who eats filth and throws ashes on his head

the blind fool loses his honor.

Without the Name, nothing is of any use.

One who lives in the wilderness, in cemetaries and cremation grounds

- that blind man does not know the Lord; he regrets and repents in the end.

One who meets the True Guru finds peace.

He enshrines the Name of the Lord in his mind.

O Nanak, when the Lord grants His Grace, He is obtained.

He becomes free of hope and fear, and burns away his ego with the Word of the Shabad. ||2||

This Shabad is by Bhai Gurdaas Ji in Vaars Bhai Gurdaas on Pannaa 17

The bronze appears shining and bright. After the food eaten from the bronze-plate, it becomes impure.

Its impurity is cleaned by ashes and then it is washed in the water of Ganges.

Washing cleans externally but the blackness goes on to remain inside the inner core of heat.

The conch is impure outwardly and internally both because when blown, the spit goes in it. When it chimes, in fact it weeps because of the impurities in it.

Listening to the Word in the holy congregation the cheat talks nonsensically.

But by mere talking, none gets satisfied, as by mere uttering word sugar one cannot have his mouth sweet.

If one is to eat butter, one should not go churning water, i.e. mere talks cannot produce the right results.

Awake at Amrit Vela

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Jap on Pannaa 2

True is the Master, True is His Name-speak it with infinite love.

People beg and pray, ""Give to us, give to us"", and the Great Giver gives His Gifts.

So what offering can we place before Him, by which we might see the Darbaar of His Court?

What words can we speak to evoke His Love?

In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.

By the karma of past actions, the robe of this physical body is obtained. By His Grace, the Gate of Liberation is found.

O Nanak, know this well: the True One Himself is All. ||4||

Naam Jap is Your True Religion

This Shabad is by Bhagat Naam Dev Ji in Raag Gond on Pannaa 874

Raag Gond, The Word Of Naam Dayv Jee, Second House:

Chanting the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, all doubts are dispelled.

Chanting the Name of the Lord is the highest religion.

Chanting the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, erases social classes and ancestral pedigrees.

The Lord is the walking stick of the blind. ||1||

I bow to the Lord, I humbly bow to the Lord.

Chanting the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, you will not be tormented by the Messenger of Death. ||1||Pause||

The Lord took the life of Harnaakhash,

and gave Ajaamal a place in heaven.

Teaching a parrot to speak the Lord's Name, Ganika the prostitute was saved.

That Lord is the light of my eyes. ||2||

Chanting the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, Pootna was saved,

even though she was a deceitful child-killer.

Contemplating the Lord, Dropadi was saved.

Gautam's wife, turned to stone, was saved. ||3||

The Lord, who killed Kaysee and Kans,

gave the gift of life to Kali.

Prays Naam Dayv, such is my Lord;

meditating on Him, fear and suffering are dispelled. ||4||1||5||

Control Your Emotions When Slandered

This Shabad is by Bhagat Kabeer Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 339

Gauree:

Slander me, slander me - go ahead, people, and slander me.

Slander is pleasing to the Lord's humble servant.

Slander is my father, slander is my mother. ||1||Pause||

If I am slandered, I go to heaven;

the wealth of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, abides within my mind.

If my heart is pure, and I am slandered,

then the slanderer washes my clothes. ||1||

One who slanders me is my friend;

the slanderer is in my thoughts.

The slanderer is the one who prevents me from being slandered.

The slanderer wishes me long life. ||2||

I have love and affection for the slanderer.

Slander is my salvation.

Slander is the best thing for servant Kabeer.

The slanderer is drowned, while I am carried across. ||3||20||71||

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Bairaaree on Pannaa 719

Bairaaree, Fourth Mehl:

The Lord's humble servant sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord's Name.

Even if someone slanders the Lord's humble servant, he does not give up his own goodness. ||1||Pause||

Whatever the Lord and Master does, He does by Himself; the Lord Himself does the deeds.

The Lord and Master Himself imparts understanding; the Lord Himself inspires us to speak. ||1||

The Lord Himself directs the evolution of the world of the five elements; He Himself infuses the five senses into it.

O servant Nanak, the Lord Himself unites us with the True Guru; He Himself resolves the conflicts. ||2||3||

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Kalyaan on Pannaa 1320

Kalyaan, Fourth Mehl:

Only the Lord God knows my innermost thoughts.

If someone slanders the humble servant of the Lord, God does not believe even a tiny bit of what he says. ||1||Pause||

So give up everything else, and serve the Imperishable; The Lord God, our Lord and Master, is the Highest of all.

When you serve the Lord, Death cannot even see you. It comes and falls at the feet of those who know the Lord. ||1||

Those whom my Lord and Master protects - a balanced wisdom comes to their ears.

No one can equal them; their devotional worship is accepted by my God. ||2||

So behold the Wondrous and Amazing Play of the Lord. In an instant, He distinguishes the genuine from the counterfeit.

And that is why His humble servant is in bliss. Those of pure heart meet together, while the evil ones regret and repent. ||3||

Lord, You are the Great Giver, our All-powerful Lord and Master; O Lord, I beg for only one gift from You.

Lord, please bless servant Nanak with Your Grace, that Your Feet may abide forever within my heart. ||4||5||

Do Not See Bad in Others

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Malaar on Pannaa 1264

Malaar, Fourth Mehl:

Those whose hearts are filled with my True Guru - those Saints are good and noble in every way.

Seeing them, my mind blossoms forth in bliss; I am forever a sacrifice to them. ||1||

O spiritual teacher, chant the Name of the Lord, day and night.

All hunger and thirst are satisfied, for those who partake of the sublime essence of the Lord, through the Guru's Teachings. ||1||Pause||

The slaves of the Lord are our Holy companions. Meeting with them, doubt is taken away.

As the swan separates the milk from the water, the Holy Saint removes the fire of egotism from the body. ||2||

Those who do not love the Lord in their hearts are deceitful; they continually practice deception.

What can anyone give them to eat? Whatever they themselves plant, they must eat. ||3||

This is the Quality of the Lord, and of the Lord's humble servants as well; the Lord places His Own Essence within them.

Blessed, blessed, is Guru Nanak, who looks impartially on all; He crosses over and transcends both slander and praise. ||4||5||

Do Not Read False Books

This Shabad is by Bhagat Kabeer Ji in Raag Tilang on Pannaa 727

Tilang, The Word Of Devotee Kabeer Jee:

The Vedas and the Scriptures are only make-believe, O Siblings of Destiny; they do not relieve the anxiety of the heart.

If you will only center yourself on the Lord, even for just a breath, then you shall see the Lord face-to-face, present before you. ||1||

O human being, search your own heart every day, and do not wander around in confusion.

This world is just a magic-show; no one will be holding your hand. ||1||Pause||

Reading and studying falsehood, people are happy; in their ignorance, they speak nonsense.

The True Creator Lord is diffused into His creation; He is not just the dark-skinned Krishna of legends. ||2||

Through the Tenth Gate, the stream of nectar flows; take your bath in this.

Serve the Lord forever; use your eyes, and see Him ever-present everywhere. ||3||

The Lord is the purest of the pure; only through doubt could there be another.

O Kabeer, mercy flows from the Merciful Lord; He alone knows who acts. ||4||1||

Caste is False

This Shabad is by Bhai Gurdaas Ji in Vaars Bhai Gurdaas on Pannaa 1

Baba (Nanak) came to the pilgrimage centres and by participating in the ceremonies there he observed them minutely.

People were busy in performing the rituals of the ceremonies but since being bereft of loving devotion, they were of no avail.

Having gone through the Vedas and simritis one finds that Brhama also has nowhere written about the Sentiment of love.

To find out the same, the satyug, treta dvapar etc. have been screened.

In kaliyug, the pitch darkness prevails in which many guises and hypocritical ways have been started.

Through garbs and guises one cannot reach the Lord; He can be reached through self-effacement.

The special feature of the Sikh of the Guru is that he goes beyond the framework of caste-classification and moves in humility.

Then his toilsome labour becomes acceptable at the door (of the Lord).

Hypocrites

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Maaroo on Pannaa 990

Maaroo, First Mehl:

In the pure, immaculate waters, both the lotus and the slimy scum are found.

The lotus flower is with the scum and the water, but it remains untouched by any pollution. ||1||

You frog, you will never understand.

You eat the dirt, while you dwell in the immaculate waters. You know nothing of the ambrosial nectar there. ||1||Pause||

You dwell continually in the water; the bumble bee does not dwell there, but it is intoxicated with its fragrance from afar.

Intuitively sensing the moon in the distance, the lotus bows its head. ||2||

The realms of nectar are irrigated with milk and honey; you think you are clever to live in the water.

You can never escape your own inner tendencies, like the love of the flea for blood. ||3||

The fool may live with the Pandit, the religious scholar, and listen to the Vedas and the Shaastras.

You can never escape your own inner tendencies, like the crooked tail of the dog. ||4||

Some are hypocrites; they do not merge with the Naam, the Name of the Lord. Some are absorbed in the Feet of the Lord, Har, Har.

The mortals obtain what they are predestined to receive; O Nanak, with your tongue, chant the Naam. ||5||4||

Everything is fake

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Raamkalee on Pannaa 889

Raamkalee, Fifth Mehl:

Your home, power and wealth will be of no use to you.

Your corrupt worldly entanglements will be of no use to you.

Know that all your dear friends are fake.

Only the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, will go along with you. ||1||

Sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord's Name, O friend; remembering the Lord in meditation, your honor shall be saved.

Remembering the Lord in meditation, the Messenger of Death will not touch you. ||1||Pause||

Without the Lord, all pursuits are useless.

Gold, silver and wealth are just dust.

Chanting the Word of the Guru's Shabad, your mind shall be at peace.

Here and hereafter, your face shall be radiant and bright. ||2||

Even the greatest of the great worked and worked until they were exhausted.

None of them ever accomplished the tasks of Maya.

Any humble being who chants the Name of the Lord, Har, Har,

will have all his hopes fulfilled. ||3||

The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the anchor and support of the Lord's devotees.

The Saints are victorious in this priceless human life.

Whatever the Lord's Saint does, is approved and accepted.

Slave Nanak is a sacrifice to him. ||4||11||22||

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Siree Raag on Pannaa 15

Siree Raag, First Mehl:

The Great Giver has given the intoxicating drug of falsehood.

The people are intoxicated; they have forgotten death, and they have fun for a few days.

Those who do not use intoxicants are true; they dwell in the Court of the Lord. ||1||

O Nanak, know the True Lord as True.

Serving Him, peace is obtained; you shall go to His Court with honor. ||1||Pause||

The Wine of Truth is not fermented from molasses. The True Name is contained within it.

I am a sacrifice to those who hear and chant the True Name.

Only one who obtains a room in the Mansion of the Lord's Presence is deemed to be truly intoxicated. ||2||

Bathe in the waters of Goodness and apply the scented oil of Truth to your body,

and your face shall become radiant. This is the gift of 100,000 gifts.

Tell your troubles to the One who is the Source of all comfort. ||3||

How can you forget the One who created your soul, and the praanaa, the breath of life?

Without Him, all that we wear and eat is impure.

Everything else is false. Whatever pleases Your Will is acceptable. ||4||5||

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 268

False are body, wealth, and all relations.

False are ego, possessiveness and Maya.

False are power, youth, wealth and property.

False are sexual desire and wild anger.

False are chariots, elephants, horses and expensive clothes.

False is the love of gathering wealth, and reveling in the sight of it.

False are deception, emotional attachment and egotistical pride.

False are pride and self-conceit.

Only devotional worship is permanent, and the Sanctuary of the Holy.

Nanak lives by meditating, meditating on the Lotus Feet of the Lord. ||4||

Eat Sleep and Talk Little

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 320

Shalok, Fifth Mehl:

O Nanak, approved is the birth of those, within whose consciousness the Lord abides.

Useless talk and babbling is useless, my friend. ||1||

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Raamkalee on Pannaa 938

"Away from stores and highways, we live in the woods, among plants and trees.

For food, we take fruits and roots. This is the spiritual wisdom spoken by the renunciates.

We bathe at sacred shrines of pilgrimage, and obtain the fruits of peace; not even an iota of filth sticks to us.

Luhaareepaa, the disciple of Gorakh says, this is the Way of Yoga.""||7||

In the stores and on the road, do not sleep; do not let your consciousness covet anyone else's home.

Without the Name, the mind has no firm support; O Nanak, this hunger never departs.

The Guru has revealed the stores and the city within the home of my own heart, where I intuitively carry on the true trade.

Sleep little, and eat little; O Nanak, this is the essence of wisdom. ||8||

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Prabhaatee on Pannaa 1331

Prabhaatee, First Mehl:

Eating too much, one's filth only increases; wearing fancy clothes, one's home is disgraced.

Talking too much, one only starts arguments. Without the Name, everything is poison - know this well. ||1||

O Baba, such is the treacherous trap which has caught my mind;

riding out the waves of the storm, it will be enlightened by intuitive wisdom. ||1||Pause||

They eat poison, speak poison and do poisonous deeds.

Bound and gagged at Death's door, they are punished; they can be saved only through the True Name. ||2||

As they come, they go. Their actions are recorded, and go along with them.

The self-willed manmukh loses his capital, and is punished in the Court of the Lord. ||3||

The world is false and polluted; only the True One is Pure. Contemplate Him through the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

Those who have God's spiritual wisdom within, are known to be very rare. ||4||

They endure the unendurable, and the Nectar of the Lord, the Embodiment of Bliss, trickles into them continuously.

O Nanak, the fish is in love with the water; if it pleases You, Lord, please enshrine such love within me. ||5||13||

Unexpected things happen in life

This Shabad is by Bhagat Sheikh Fareed Ji in Salok Fareed Jee on Pannaa 1383

Fareed, the crane perches on the river bank, playing joyfully.

While it is playing, a hawk suddenly pounces on it.

When the Hawk of God attacks, playful sport is forgotten.

God does what is not expected or even considered. ||99||

This Shabad is by Guru Tegh Bahaadur Ji in Salok Mehl 9 on Pannaa 1429

People become anxious, when something unexpected happens.

This is the way of the world, O Nanak; nothing is stable or permanent. ||51||

Who is insane?

This Shabad is by Bhagat Ravi Daas Ji in Raag Sorath on Pannaa 658

I obtained this precious human life as a reward for my past actions, but without discriminating wisdom, it is wasted in vain.

Tell me, without devotional worship of the Lord, of what use are mansions and thrones like those of King Indra? ||1||

You have not considered the sublime essence of the Name of the Lord, our King;

this sublime essence shall cause you to forget all other essences. ||1||Pause||

We do not know what we need to know, and we have become insane. We do not consider what we should consider; our days are passing away.

Our passions are strong, and our discriminating intellect is weak; we have no access to the supreme objective. ||2||

We say one thing, and do something else; entangled in endless Maya, we do not understand anything.

Says Ravi Daas, Your slave, O Lord, I am disillusioned and detached; please, spare me Your anger, and have mercy on my soul. ||3||3||

This Shabad is by Bhagat Kabeer Ji in Raag Bilaaval on Pannaa 855

Bilaaval:

I do not read books of knowledge, and I do not understand the debates.

I have gone insane, chanting and hearing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. ||1||

O my father, I have gone insane; the whole world is sane, and I am insane.

I am spoiled; let no one else be spoiled like me. ||1||Pause||

I have not made myself go insane - the Lord made me go insane.

The True Guru has burnt away my doubt. ||2||

I am spoiled; I have lost my intellect.

Let no one go astray in doubt like me. ||3||

He alone is insane, who does not understand himself.

When he understands himself, then he knows the One Lord. ||4||

One who is not intoxicated with the Lord now, shall never be intoxicated.

Says Kabeer, I am imbued with the Lord's Love. ||5||2||

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Maaroo on Pannaa 991

Maaroo, First Mehl:

Some call him a ghost; some say that he is a demon.

Some call him a mere mortal; O, poor Nanak! ||1||

Crazy Nanak has gone insane, after his Lord, the King.

I know of none other than the Lord. ||1||Pause||

He alone is known to be insane, when he goes insane with the Fear of God.

He recognizes none other than the One Lord and Master. ||2||

He alone is known to be insane, if he works for the One Lord.

Recognizing the Hukam, the Command of his Lord and Master, what other cleverness is there? ||3||

He alone is known to be insane, when he falls in love with his Lord and Master.

He sees himself as bad, and all the rest of the world as good. ||4||7||

KILL IT !!!

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 237

Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

One who kills this is a spiritual hero.

One who kills this is perfect.

One who kills this obtains glorious greatness.

One who kills this is freed of suffering. ||1||

How rare is such a person, who kills and casts off duality.

Killing it, he attains Raja Yoga, the Yoga of meditation and success. ||1||Pause||

One who kills this has no fear.

One who kills this is absorbed in the Naam.

One who kills this has his desires quenched.

One who kills this is approved in the Court of the Lord. ||2||

One who kills this is wealthy and prosperous.

One who kills this is honorable.

One who kills this is truly a celibate.

One who kills this attains salvation. ||3||

One who kills this - his coming is auspicious.

One who kills this is steady and wealthy.

One who kills this is very fortunate.

One who kills this remains awake and aware, night and day. ||4||

One who kills this is Jivan Mukta, liberated while yet alive.

One who kills this lives a pure lifestyle.

One who kills this is spiritually wise.

One who kills this meditates intuitively. ||5||

Without killing this, one is not acceptable, even though one may perform millions of rituals, chants and austerities.

Without killing this, one does not escape the cycle of reincarnation.

Without killing this, one does not escape death. ||6||

Without killing this, one does not obtain spiritual wisdom.

Without killing this, one's impurity is not washed off.

Without killing this, everything is filthy.

Without killing this, everything is a losing game. ||7||

When the Lord, the Treasure of Mercy, bestows His Mercy,

one obtains release, and attains total perfection.

One whose duality has been killed by the Guru,

says Nanak, contemplates God. ||8||5||

Hatred

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 259

Pauree:

WAWWA: Do not harbor hatred against anyone.

In each and every heart, God is contained.

The All-pervading Lord is permeating and pervading the oceans and the land.

How rare are those who, by Guru's Grace, sing of Him.

Hatred and alienation depart from those

who, as Gurmukh, listen to the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises.

O Nanak, one who becomes Gurmukh chants the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, and rises above all social classes and status symbols. ||46||

This Shabad is by Guru Amar Daas Ji in Raag Basant on Pannaa 1176

Basant, Third Mehl, Ik-Tukas:

I am just a worm, created by You, O Lord.

If you bless me, then I chant Your Primal Mantra. ||1||

I chant and reflect on His Glorious Virtues, O my mother.

Meditating on the Lord, I fall at the Lord's Feet. ||1||Pause||

By Guru's Grace, I am addicted to the favor of the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

Why waste your life in hatred, vengeance and conflict? ||2||

When the Guru granted His Grace, my egotism was eradicated,

and then, I obtained the Lord's Name with intuitive ease. ||3||

The most lofty and exalted occupation is to contemplate the Word of the Shabad.

Nanak chants the True Name. ||4||1||13||

gurbani is music.

gurbani is poetry

gurbani is literature

gurbani is maths (starts with an IK for god's sake)

gurbani is science

anything else anyone can think of...

gurbani is multicultural

gurbani is a mood

gurbani is indian

gurbani is persian

gurbani is next level man.

can anyone add anything else

khalsa fateh

What kind of life should you lead

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Raamkalee on Pannaa 883

Raamkalee, Fifth Mehl:

Place yourself beneath all men's feet, and you will be uplifted; serve Him in this way.

Know that all are above you, and you shall find peace in the Court of the Lord. ||1||

O Saints, speak that speech which purifies the gods and sanctifies the divine beings. As Gurmukh, chant the Word of His Bani, even for an instant. ||1||Pause||

Renounce your fraudulent plans, and dwell in the celestial palace; do not call anyone else false.

Meeting with the True Guru, you shall receive the nine treasures; in this way, you shall find the essence of reality. ||2||

Eradicate doubt, and as Gurmukh, enshrine love for the Lord; understand your own soul, O Siblings of Destiny.

Know that God is near at hand, and ever-present. How could you try to hurt anyone else? ||3||

Meeting with the True Guru, your path shall be clear, and you shall easily meet your Lord and Master.

Blessed, blessed are those humble beings, who, in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, find the Lord. Nanak is forever a sacrifice to them. ||4||2||

This is how we spend our lives

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 267

The Lord, our Help and Support, is always with us, but the mortal does not remember Him.

He shows love to his enemies.

He lives in a castle of sand.

He enjoys the games of pleasure and the tastes of Maya.

He believes them to be permanent - this is the belief of his mind.

Death does not even come to mind for the fool.

Hate, conflict, sexual desire, anger, emotional attachment,

falsehood, corruption, immense greed and deceit:

So many lifetimes are wasted in these ways.

Nanak: uplift them, and redeem them, O Lord - show Your Mercy! ||7||

The true food and drink

This Shabad is by Bhai Mardana in Raag Bihaagraa on Pannaa 553

Shalok, Mardaanaa:

The Dark Age of Kali Yuga is the vessel, filled with the wine of sexual desire; the mind is the drunkard.

Anger is the cup, filled with emotional attachment, and egotism is the server.

Drinking too much in the company of falsehood and greed, one is ruined.

So let good deeds be your distillery, and Truth your molasses; in this way, make the most excellent wine of Truth.

Make virtue your bread, good conduct the ghee, and modesty the meat to eat.

As Gurmukh, these are obtained, O Nanak; partaking of them, one's sins depart. ||1||

Stubborn mindedness

This Shabad is by Guru Amar Daas Ji in Siree Raag on Pannaa 65

Siree Raag, Third Mehl:

Those who go around acting in egotism are struck down by the Messenger of Death with his club.

Those who serve the True Guru are uplifted and saved, in love with the Lord. ||1||

O mind, become Gurmukh, and meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

Those who are so pre-destined by the Creator are absorbed into the Naam, through the Guru's Teachings. ||1||Pause||

Without the True Guru, faith does not come, and love for the Naam is not embraced.

Even in dreams, they find no peace; they sleep immersed in pain. ||2||

Even if you chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, with great longing, your past actions are still not erased.

The Lord's devotees surrender to His Will; those devotees are accepted at His Door. ||3||

The Guru has lovingly implanted the Word of His Shabad within me. Without His Grace, it cannot be attained.

Even if the poisonous plant is watered with ambrosial nectar a hundred times, it will still bear poisonous fruit. ||4||

Those humble beings who are in love with the True Guru are pure and true.

They act in harmony with the Will of the True Guru; they shed the poison of ego and corruption. ||5||

Acting in stubborn-mindedness, no one is saved; go and study the Simritees and the Shaastras.

Joining the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, and practicing the Shabads of the Guru, you shall be saved. ||6||

The Name of the Lord is the Treasure, which has no end or limitation.

The Gurmukhs are beauteous; the Creator has blessed them with His Mercy. ||7||

O Nanak, the One Lord alone is the Giver; there is no other at all.

By Guru's Grace, He is obtained. By His Mercy, He is found. ||8||2||19||

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 251

Shalok:

By all sorts of religious robes, knowledge, meditation and stubborn-mindedness, no one has ever met God.

Says Nanak, those upon whom God showers His Mercy, are devotees of spiritual wisdom. ||1||

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Aasaa on Pannaa 356

Aasaa, First Mehl:

He Himself does everything, the True, Invisible, Infinite Lord.

I am a sinner, You are the Forgiver. ||1||

By Your Will, everything come to pass.

One who acts in stubborn-mindedness is ruined in the end. ||1||Pause||

The intellect of the self-willed manmukh is engrossed in falsehood.

Without the meditative remembrance of the Lord, it suffers in sin. ||2||

Renounce evil-mindedness, and you shall reap the rewards.

Whoever is born, comes through the Unknowable and Mysterious Lord. ||3||

Such is my Friend and Companion;

meeting with the Guru, the Lord, devotion was implanted within me. ||4||

In all other transactions, one suffers loss.

The Name of the Lord is pleasing to Nanak's mind. ||5||24||

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Aasaa on Pannaa 469

Pauree:

If an educated person is a sinner, then the illiterate holy man is not to be punished.

As are the deeds done, so is the reputation one acquires.

So do not play such a game, which will bring you to ruin at the Court of the Lord.

The accounts of the educated and the illiterate shall be judged in the world hereafter.

One who stubbornly follows his own mind shall suffer in the world hereafter. ||12||

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gujri on Pannaa 496

Goojaree, Fifth Mehl:

He decides to go to the west, but the Lord leads him away to the east.

In an instant, He establishes and disestablishes; He holds all matters in His hands. ||1||

Cleverness is of no use at all.

Whatever my Lord and Master deems to be right - that alone comes to pass. ||1||Pause||

In his desire to acquire land and accumulate wealth, one's breath escapes him.

He must leave all his armies, assistants and servants; rising up, he departs to the City of Death. ||2||

Believing himself to be unique, he clings to his stubborn mind, and shows himself off.

That food, which the blameless people have condemned and discarded, he eats again and again. ||3||

One, unto whom the Lord shows His natural mercy, has the noose of Death cut away from him.

Says Nanak, one who meets the Perfect Guru, is celebrated as a householder as well as a renunciate. ||4||4||5||

This Shabad is by Guru Amar Daas Ji in Raag Vadhans on Pannaa 593

Shalok, Third Mehl:

No one has ever found the Lord through stubborn-mindedness. All have grown weary of performing such actions.

Through their stubborn-mindedness, and by wearing their disguises, they are deluded; they suffer in pain from the love of duality.

Riches and the supernatural spiritual powers of the Siddhas are all emotional attachments; through them, the Naam, the Name of the Lord, does not come to dwell in the mind.

Serving the Guru, the mind becomes immaculately pure, and the darkness of spiritual ignorance is dispelled.

The jewel of the Naam is revealed in the home of one's own being; O Nanak, one merges in celestial bliss. ||1||

This Shabad is by Guru Amar Daas Ji in Raag Sorath on Pannaa 644

Third Mehl:

The mind of the self-willed manmukh is so very stubborn; it is stuck in the love of duality.

He does not find peace, even in dreams; he passes his life in misery and suffering.

The Pandits have grown weary of going door to door, reading and reciting their scriptures; the Siddhas have gone into their trances of Samaadhi.

This mind cannot be controlled; they are tired of performing religious rituals.

The impersonators have grown weary of wearing false costumes, and bathing at the sixty-eight sacred shrines.

They do not know the state of their own minds; they are deluded by doubt and egotism.

By Guru's Grace, the Fear of God is obtained; by great good fortune, the Lord comes to abide in the mind.

When the Fear of God comes, the mind is restrained, and through the Word of the Shabad, the ego is burnt away.

Those who are imbued with Truth are immaculate; their light merges in the Light.

Meeting the True Guru, one obtains the Name; O Nanak, he is absorbed in peace. ||2||

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Soohee on Pannaa 738

Soohee, Fifth Mehl, Third House:

His service is insignificant, but his demands are very great.

He does not obtain the Mansion of the Lord's Presence, but he says that he has arrived there||1||

He competes with those who have been accepted by the Beloved Lord.

This is how stubborn the false fool is! ||1||Pause||

He wears religious robes, but he does not practice Truth.

He says that he has found the Mansion of the Lord's Presence, but he cannot even get near it. ||2||

He says that he is unattached, but he is intoxicated with Maya.

There is no love in his mind, and yet he says that he is imbued with the Lord. ||3||

Says Nanak, hear my prayer, God:

I am silly, stubborn and filled with sexual desire - please, liberate me! ||4||

I gaze upon the glorious greatness of the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan.

You are the Giver of Peace, the Loving Primal Being. ||1||Second Pause||1||7||

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Kaanraa on Pannaa 1308

Kaanraa, Fifth Mehl:

The debaters debate and argue their arguments.

The Yogis and meditators, religious and spiritual teachers roam and ramble, wandering endlessly all over the earth. ||1||Pause||

They are egotistical, self-centered and conceited, foolish, stupid, idiotic and insane.

Wherever they go and wander, death is always with them, forever and ever and ever and ever. ||1||

Give up your pride and stubborn self-conceit; death, yes, death, is always close and near at hand.

Vibrate and meditate on the Lord, Har, Haray, Haray. Says Nanak, listen you fool: without vibrating, and meditating, and dwelling on Him, your life is uselessly wasting away. ||2||5||50||12||62||

This Shabad is by Bhagat Kabeer Ji in Salok Kabeer Jee on Pannaa 1366

Kabeer, do not struggle in stubborn pride; nothing happens just because you say so.

No one can erase the actions of the Merciful Lord. ||32||

• 4 weeks later...

A beautiful Shabad...

Yoga (A Hindu theistic philosophy; union of self and the Supreme Being is sought through a state of complete awareness and tranquillity attained by certain physical exercises)

Guru Says :: Yoga is not attained by putting on a patched coat, Yoga is not attained with a walking stick in hand. Yoga is not smearing the body with ashes and wandering about aimlessly. Yoga is not wearing the ear-rings, and not the shaven heads. Yoga is not the blowing of the horns (Yogies/Saints blow loud horns as if to awake the Almighty from sleep.). Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||1||

By mere words, Yoga is not attained. One who looks upon all with a single eye, and knows them to be one and the same - he alone is known as a Yogi. ||1||Pause|| Yoga is not wandering to the tombs of the dead; Yoga is not sitting in trances. Yoga is not wandering through foreign lands; Yoga is not bathing at sacred shrines of pilgrimage. Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||2||

Meeting with the True Guru, doubt is dispelled, and the wandering mind is restrained. Nectar rains down, celestial music resounds, and deep within, wisdom is obtained. Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||3||

O Nanak, remain dead while yet alive (means:: live life and face the world with strength but even then do not get attached to worldly things) - practice such a Yoga. When the horn (mentioned in first stanza) is blown in our heart and mind without being manually blown, then you shall attain the state of fearless dignity. Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||4||1||8||

Page 730 SGGS Ji

• 6 months later...

SAVE ME !!!!!

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Basant on Pannaa 1185

Basant, Fifth Mehl, Hindol:

You alone know Your Creative Power, O Lord; no one else knows it.

He alone realizes You, O my Beloved, unto whom You show Your Mercy. ||1||

I am a sacrifice to Your devotees.

Your place is eternally beautiful, God; Your wonders are infinite. ||1||Pause||

Only You Yourself can perform Your service. No one else can do it.

He alone is Your devotee, who is pleasing to You. You bless them with Your Love. ||2||

You are the Great Giver; You are so very Wise. There is no other like You.

You are my All-powerful Lord and Master; I do not know how to worship You. ||3||

Your Mansion is imperceptible, O my Beloved; it is so difficult to accept Your Will.

Says Nanak, I have collapsed at Your Door, Lord. I am foolish and ignorant - please save me! ||4||2||20||

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Dhanaasree on Pannaa 675

Raag Dhanaasaree, Fifth Mehl:

O God, please save me!

By myself, I cannot do anything, O my Lord and Master; by Your Grace, please bless me with Your Name. ||1||Pause||

Family and worldly affairs are an ocean of fire.

Through doubt, emotional attachment and ignorance, we are enveloped in darkness. ||1||

High and low, pleasure and pain.

Hunger and thirst are not satisfied. ||2||

The mind is engrossed in passion, and the disease of corruption.

The five thieves, the companions, are totally incorrigible. ||3||

The beings and souls and wealth of the world are all Yours.

O Nanak, know that the Lord is always near at hand. ||4||1||19||

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Dhanaasree on Pannaa 673

Dhanaasaree, Fifth Mehl:

You are the Giver, O Lord, O Cherisher, my Master, my Husband Lord.

Each and every moment, You cherish and nurture me; I am Your child, and I rely upon You alone. ||1||

I have only one tongue - which of Your Glorious Virtues can I describe?

Unlimited, infinite Lord and Master - no one knows Your limits. ||1||Pause||

You destroy millions of my sins, and teach me in so many ways.

I am so ignorant - I understand nothing at all. Please honor Your innate nature, and save me! ||2||

I seek Your Sanctuary - You are my only hope. You are my companion, and my best friend.

Save me, O Merciful Saviour Lord; Nanak is the slave of Your home. ||3||12||

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Jaithsree on Pannaa 704

Chhant:

Save me, any way You can; O Lord God, I am Yours.

My demerits are uncountable; how many of them should I count?

The sins and crimes I committed are countless; day by day, I continually make mistakes.

I am intoxicated by emotional attachment to Maya, the treacherous one; by Your Grace alone can I be saved.

Secretly, I commit hideous sins of corruption, even though God is the nearest of the near.

Prays Nanak, shower me with Your Mercy, Lord, and lift me up, out of the whirlpool of the terrifying world-ocean. ||1||

• 14 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/24/2004 at 12:02 PM, A.S.KANG said:

can anyone add anything else

khalsa fateh

Yes for sure.

There is an  utmost beautiful verse in the  Bani which says: Guru hae Bani, Bani hae Guru.

SSA.