Disrespect for Puratan Sikhi!

Guest Javanmard

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Vaaheguroo...

That was probably the most powerful scene of the movie..I remember looking at my Singh, him looking at me and saying doesn't this remind you of our 'Sikhi'? Do you recall that part when they strip the young Samurai boy of his sword and they cut his hair?? He was shattered...Or when the Emperoror even does not allow the swords inside the government meeting..

Guest Javanmard

It's sign of nobility just like kesh... I think we should learn a lesson from this! We are (at least the puratan Sikhs) the only surviving examples of spiritual chivalry and we have to do everything to defend our honour.

Those who forbid turbans in France are no better than those who slander Dasam bani or those who say that having kirpans etc.. is not necessary anymore. It makes me laugh all these Neo-SIkhs with their Patiala turbans going around telling people that kirpans are not to be sharpened and should only be symbolical! And they have the guts to call themselves Singhs???

lol. i wud have loved to lived 250 yrs ago. staight up unadulterated purataan Sikhi and maryada. U kno u wud have had the baddest tegh. tried and tested on many a moghul. lol. but idealy we kan say that but wer shud try n keep up as much maryada as poss. im goin to my mates to get last samurai. bad ass movie. better than braveheart and gladiator in sum ways. LOTR was a sick trilogy. big respec to da fat new zealander whu made it.

Guest Javanmard

Some arrangements may be found but we should never compromise on certain issues like kesh, dastar, jhatka or kirpan. In case we get heavily persecuted (and this will happen) we have two choices: victory or martyrdom!

But before we get to that point let us fight with our brains which is exactly what is missing in the Panth at the moment. We need all the sangat to get learning languages, philosophy of law, different cultures so that we can win our legal and cultural battles before we apply Guru Gobind Singh's famous saying in Zafarnama!

Guest Javanmard

1. The rise of eurocentrism and nationalism: a recurrent fact in European history. Because Europe as a separate civilisation is actually a 19th century construct Europeans tend to try to eliminate anything that reminds them of the fact that they worship a Messiah that came from the Middle East, ow their 15th century Rennaissance and technological advancement to Islam and that they have built their modern ideologies on the premisse that "God is dead". Their "civilisation" is based on exploitation and this has been rendered easy by disarming citizens making them perfect victims for any ideological system.

The Khalsa goes against all of those things as we have Akal Purakh at the centre of everything and believe in the ideal of the sant-sipahi.

2. The constant need for Westeners to look for scape goats for their problems: 50 years ago it was the Jews, today it's the Muslims and in the future... let's have a guess!!!

3. It makes me laugh: all these commiteevale idiots offering saropas to politicians and inisting that Sikhi is not like Islam etc... hopping that the "white civilised man" is going to spare us!!!!

4. Remember German Jews: they thought no one was ever going to persecute them and look what happened to them! As a visible minority believing in the ideal of sant-sipahi we will sooner or later be the target of persecution as well. The examples of France and Germany are only signs of what will happen in the future.

5. This could be avoided if we actually educated people and had an active and positive part in society but it seems that there is no respect for intellectuals in our community anyway and that people prefer to spend 200£ on langar and have their name recited during the ardas rather than helping their fellow human beings next door. Khalsa Raj my friends is us taking over all areas where the secular government fails! It's us creating an alternatice free and high quality education system, helping the homeless not just with soup but giving them a home, it's helping drug addicts to get out of their nightmare, it's making housing affordable etc...

be in Panjab, Uk or China!!!!

But of course it's so much easier to sit on our fat arses telling ourselves how good we are because we had our names recited during ardas on Sunday! It's so much easier to follow SGPC Sikhi and stop asking questions and just being a sheep!

Guest Javanmard

Dear SIngh47, I understand your point about bana but then again what is traditional SIkh bana. Even Nihang bana has changed in shape. Today the pattern of Nihang bana with metal buttons and pockets etc... is actually quite new. I don't see many Nihangs wearing the traditional jama as our Guru did.

You are right about that Veer Lalleshwari. I have also noticed that when comparing todays cholas to the puraatan ones we see in old pictures. Maybe one day the puraatan style cholas can be revived.

But have you also not noticed how the puraatan dumalaas were also different then today’s dumalas? The puraatan ones were very pointy on top and facing forward.

Guest Javanmard

Well, regarding the style of dumalla one has to be aware of the fact that the Nihang dumalla as we knwo it today existed at that time as well. But the normal Singhs used to wear the style you mentioned wich is the one I wear as well. It is funny how these commiteevale come up to me and tell me to tie a proper turban when in fact their Patiala turban is actually quite new and not very practical (I wore it for a long time: gives me headaches, I can't hear properly etc...)! These people are no better than two Japanese guys in European dress in the video!

I am actually planning to get my bana stiched according to authentic puratan patrons. SOAS library has this book on traditional Indian costumes with the patrons to get them stitched. At the V&A you can actually see examples of jamas which what I am planning to have. I will try to scan the patrons and put them up on the net.

I had a puraatan chola made, had to give my tailor a drawing, looks a bit like a hospital gown with tassles; I'm in the process of having pull-across-the-front-with-a-tassle chola this summer....ahhhhh jazzy, problem is when to wear it. It's alright in punjab but here people think I'm on the run from the hospital.

anyone with any pics of puraatan banas could you please put the up. im sure the banas from back in the day used fasten at the side, although ive read a rehitname by... cant remember at mo... saying the bana should be fasten at the front. thats more like nowadays style. i heard there is a few singhs in uk that wear proper Akali Bunge, with the bamboo/wood frame underneath the damallas!