Sikhism as a...

Some may wonder why i am making this thread but i think it will turn out to be very valuable if all serious and knowledgeable members can give their opinion on it.

My main reason for making this thread is because many people belonging to other religions do not consider Sikhism to be a religion. They have their own ideas about Sikhism being a philosophy, a panth, even a sect or cult. I wont deny that after some discussions i have had it is beginning to distort even my own views.

So, below i am giving the definitions which appear in the Oxford University Press (2003) for a number of categories which Sikhism could possibly be classed under (according to some).

Please discuss why or why not Sikhism can be classed as any of the following:

religion

•n.

1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. →a particular system of faith and worship.

2. a pursuit or interest followed with devotion.

revealed religion

•n. religion based on divine revelation.

natural religion

•n. religion based on reason rather than divine revelation, especially deism.

denomination

•n.

1. a recognized autonomous branch of a church or religion.

2. the face value of a banknote, coin, or postage stamp. →the rank of a playing card.

3. formal a name or designation.

sect

•n.

1. a religious group or faction regarded as heretical or as deviating from orthodox tradition. →often derogatory a group that has separated from an established Church; a nonconformist Church.

2. a group with extreme or dangerous philosophical or political ideas.

cult

•n.

1. a system of religious devotion directed towards a particular figure or object. →a relatively small religious group regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members.

2. something popular or fashionable among a particular section of society.

philosophy

•n. (pl. philosophies)

1. the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence. →a set of theories of a particular philosopher.

2. the study of the theoretical basis of a branch of knowledge or experience.

3. a theory or attitude that guides one's behaviour.

deism

•n. belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. Compare with theism.

theism

•n. belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe. Compare with deism.

pantheism

•n.

1. a doctrine or belief which identifies God with the universe, or regards the universe as a manifestation of God.

2. rare worship that admits or tolerates all gods.

panentheism

•n. the belief or doctrine that God is greater than the universe and includes and interpenetrates it.

Here are some other definitions which could be of use in this topic...

faith

•n.

1. complete trust or confidence.

2. strong belief in a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

3. a system of religious belief.

mysticism

•n.

1. the beliefs or state of mind characteristic of mystics.

2. vague or ill-defined religious or spiritual belief, especially as associated with a belief in the occult.

monotheism

•n. the doctrine or belief that there is only one God.

polytheism

•n. the belief in or worship of more than one god.

revelation

•n.

1. a surprising disclosure. →the revealing of something previously unknown. →a surprising or remarkable thing.

2. a divine or supernatural disclosure to humans. → (Revelation or informal Revelations) (in full the Revelation of St John the Divine) the last book of the New Testament, recounting a divine revelation of the future to St John.

enlightenment

•n.

1. the action of enlightening or the state of being enlightened. →the attainment of spiritual insight, in particular (in Buddhism) that awareness which frees a person from the cycle of rebirth.

2. (the Enlightenment) a European intellectual movement of the late 17th and 18th centuries emphasizing reason and individualism rather than tradition.

prayer

•n.

1. a solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or another deity.

2. prayers a religious service at which people gather to pray together.

3. an earnest hope or wish.

meditation

•n.

1. the action or practice of meditating.

2. a discourse expressing considered thoughts on a subject.

prophet

•n.

1. an inspired teacher or proclaimer of the will of God. → (the Prophet) (among Muslims) Muhammad. → (the Prophet) (among Mormons) Joseph Smith or one of his successors.

2. a person who predicts the future. →a person who advocates a new belief or theory.

3. (the Prophets) (in Christian use) the prophetic writings of the Old Testament. →(in Jewish use) one of the three canonical divisions of the Hebrew Bible.

guru

•n.

1. a Hindu spiritual teacher.

2. each of the ten first leaders of the Sikh religion.

3. an influential teacher: a management guru.

philosopher

•n. a person engaged or learned in philosophy.

saint

•n.

1. a person who is acknowledged as holy or virtuous and regarded in Christian faith as being in heaven after death. →a person of exalted virtue who is canonized by the Church after death and who may be the object of veneration and prayers for intercession. →informal a very virtuous person.

2. (Saint) a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints; a Mormon.

well, above all of these things, i think i'd describe Sikhi as a way of life. put up the definition for "lifestyle" as well. let's see what the good ole dictionary has to say bout that.

'Lifestyle' is too ambigous and vague. It can mean any number of things...

You forgot "Dharam".

'Dharam' did not come up but got this for 'Dharma'

dharma

•n. (in Indian religion) the eternal law of the cosmos, inherent in the very nature of things.

Sikhi = Satguru Nanak = Parbrahm

You cannot define Parbrahm (Sikhi) :LOL:

Sikhi is Atman Atman Atman....

Sikhi is Brahm Brahm Brahm....

Sikhi Vahiguru, Sikhi Satguru, Sikhi is...is...is...

Ishq Haqiqi, pyar, mohabbat....

I am the fool of Satguru Nanak Nirankar