Sikhs is SS Uniform in WWII

Guest Javanmard

Guest Javanmard

I hoped I would not have to show these pictures because they show our people fighting on the wrong. Mind you the British were as racist as the German anyway!

I hoped I would not have to show these pictures because they show our people fighting on the wrong. Mind you the British were as racist as the German anyway!

If you have any documents/articles/information regarding Sikhs fighting for Germany, please do post it. I'm sure the whole sangat is interested.

Sometimes we view history with a very modern perspective. This message board is littered with examples of apparant contradictions between ancient traditions and modern perceptions - eg the multiple marriage thread. This is a more recent example of the same phenomena.

By the Second World War, it was clear that tens of thousands of young men had left their villages (many for the very first time) to find themselves fighting in a foreign land, ill-equipped, against an enemy that was no threat to them in order to secure the freedom of a people who they had no attahcment to and in the pay of a nation that actually subjugated them . Whilst doing this they were subject to a colour bar that prevented them even getting certain medals and certainly stopped promotion to particular ranks. Under these circumstances it is amazing that only a few Indians joined the INA and switched sides to the Japs and the Germans. On the basis of "my enemy's enemy is my friend" a few hundred joined the japs and the nazis, but it is clear that they really werent an effective physical force but they were a powerful propaganda tool.

I wonder if they had really understood the Nazi ideology whether they would still join the INA? There is a stark parallel with the morons in our community who support the BNP solely on the basis that teh BNO are anti-muslim

Aman

There are cases within Nihang history which tell of Nihangs adopting names of their enemy's enemy...

One case recalls of a Nihang arrested for "causing disturbance" in a town in Punjab during the early 1940s. At the time, the British were busy fighting the Germans and recruiting young Sikhs from Punjab into the army.

When asked by the Judge what his name was, the veteran Nihang replied "Adolf Hilter Singh".

There are cases within Nihang history which tell of Nihangs adopting names of their enemy's enemy...

One case recalls of a Nihang arrested for "causing disturbance" in a town in Punjab during the early 1940s. At the time, the British were busy fighting the Germans and recruiting young Sikhs from Punjab into the army.

When asked by the Judge what his name was, the veteran Nihang replied "Adolf Hilter Singh".

Thank you for adding this tid-bit. Very interesting.

Guest Javanmard

My gurdev's father was in the INA and the some Nirmale seem to have recruted Sikh for the INA. I am sure that these Singhs in SS uniform dwere not aware of the anti-Semitic policy of the Nazis and thought that they were fighting against the British. The regiment of Indian soldiers that fought for the Nazis was called "Freies Indien" or "Azad Hind".

there was a programme on tv a few months ago about the indian soldiers who fought for the british during ww2. they were all abandoned by the british & indian governments & do not receive any pension benefits from either government.

interestingly the indian soldiers who defected to the japanese are viewed as heroes & given a full military pension from the indian government.

• 4 months later...

Just a quick note@ the pics you see of sikhs in jerry uniforms of the ww2, are just that; none of those men are wearing Waffen SS uniforms , who were the hard core Nazi's.

Incidently. you might want to know that under Hitler (before WW2 started) there was a large military regiment called the Brandenberger's. These ppeople were fieriously loyal to the Nazi state/government and consisted of Jews, gypsies and other ethnic communities and groups.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen the two hand salute being carried out by Sikh soldiers during a parade - again where the Guru Granth Sahib was walked by. Obvioulsy this is not a salute that is used for officers and other soldiers.

I am not certain what the origins are and whether other groups use a similar salute for their scriptures etc?