marrige?

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

From what I have come across, the one who is non-Muslim has to convert to Islam, whether its the boy or the girl. I don't understand why a non-Muslim's religion is taken so cheaply that its him/her who has to convert always, while the Muslim is never supposed to give up his/her "true religion". Well why can't the one who is Muslim convert to Sikhism, or any other religion he/she wants to marry into? By the way, I had a Muslim room mate whose aunt married a Sardar ;) (thats right! I said Sardar, NOT mona ;) ).

my apologies if this offends anyone

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

You can marry a Sikh without converting.

I know enuf 3ho's sikhs who have converted into sikhism well their spouse didnt....they are well happy because there is a sense of acceptance and tolerance between each other.

At the end of day, thats should what it matters.. .tolerance, acceptance and understanding between each other... respecting each other beleifs.

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Sometimes it is very difficult because cultures/faiths are different, but if you both are mature and have a sense of acceptance for the other person the relationship will blossom. Many times you bring balance to each other, I've seen this in Sikhs from different backgrounds as well jee...

Personally speaking, a Singh is the best companion to have for a woman..especially when you promise to live in Gursikhi Jeevan with each other..life just doesn't get any better than that :)

Maha pavitar.....

According to what most of the Panth says, an Amritdharee person should marry another Amritdharee person. There is more balance this way. Marriage is the union of two souls, and if the two souls are on a different path, there can be lots of problems.

I've seen Sikh people marrying non-Sikhs or just plain "punjabis" that don't follow the religion, and it has MOST DEFINITELY caused s-e-r-i-o-u-s problems in the relationship. At first it may not seem like a big deal, but eventually, the religious/spiritual differences can create a huge barrier between the husband and wife. It really lowers your spiritual connection.

Marriage in Sikhism is about spirituality and connection to God. Keeping a similar rehat (code of conduct) will enable the partnership to stay strong and focussed. Your souls will become one and you will have the same destination and will use the same means to reach that destination. I'm saying all this not only because of what rehat maryadas say but also because I've seen one too many mixed religion marriages go WRONG.

Sticking to ONE religion (between the partnership) is best.

52 Hukams of Guru Gobind Singh : http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...light=52+hukams

14) Anand Viah bina grahist nahi karna - Do not start married life without Anand Karaj (Sikh ceremony of marriage). ( so u gotta marry a Sikh! or marry the Sikh way? if your spouse doesnt agree, too bad )

38 ) Sir munae noo kanaiaa nahi daeni. Uos ghar daevni jithae Akal Purukh di sikhi ha, jo karzaai naa hovae, bhalae subhaa da hovae, bibaeki atae gyanvaan hovae - Do not given a daughter's hand to a clean shaven. Give her hand in a house where God's Sikhi exists, where the household is not in debt, is of a good nature, is disciplined and knowledgable.

When did the Anand Karaj ceremony first takeplace? I think I remember Namdharis taking credit for the way we practise Anand Karaj today, so would that not conflict with the above hukam?

Stating it is a hukam of maharaj, makes it very official in terms of sikhi so the word should not be used lightly, If the author of the 52 characteristics has composed it from their own understanding then please state so, or if it is a correlation of different sources please provide a reference.

taken from http://members.dancris.com/~sikh/chap05.html

COMPOSITION OF ANAND SAHIB:

One day a Sidh Jogi came to the Guru and complained that he performed every form of penance but did not obtain any peace of mind. He further showed his desire to abandon his body to be reborn in Guru's family so that he be happy worshipping God and singing His praises. His wish was granted. The Guru had two sons, Mohan and Mohri. Mohri's eldest son was Arth Mal and it is said that this Sidh Jogi was reborn as Mohri's second son. When the Guru heard of the Jogi's rebirth, he sent Bhai Ballu to bring the infant to him. On seeing the child, the Guru uttered the composition of Anand (Ramkali Mohalla 3, Anand) or the Song of Joy, and called the child, Anand. This composition (Anand Sahib) is now recited on the occasions of marriages and rejoicing.

It doesn't however say about the very first Anand Karaj.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

can a muslim girl marry a sikh boy with out having to convert?

Why not?? and Why you need to convert?

In any marriage One partner doesn't need to be convert to other partners religion. You are marrying the person not the religion.

If during the course of the marriage you feel like becoming Sikh then you go ahead do so.

But if there are conditions in the marriage for one to convert to another spouse religion then that marriage won't succeed.

All the best to you and your would be!!!

a sikh boy should marry only a sikh girl . that's the hukam of guru ji .

if the muslim girl takes amrit and becomes sikh , then the sikh boy can marry her .

if she does not converts, stay away from her . ( sikho beware from turks and turkanis )

Where this Hukum is coming from???

Don't just make up your Hukum's or distort Sikhism.

Sikhism no way prevent any of the community member to marry anyone outside the SIKH community.

You don't have to give up Sikhism to marry a non-Sikh similarly a non-Sikh won't have to become Sikh to marry a Sikh.

52 Hukams of Guru Gobind Singh : http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...light=52+hukams

14) Anand Viah bina grahist nahi karna - Do not start married life without Anand Karaj (Sikh ceremony of marriage). ( so u gotta marry a Sikh! or marry the Sikh way? if your spouse doesnt agree, too bad )

38 ) Sir munae noo kanaiaa nahi daeni. Uos ghar daevni jithae Akal Purukh di sikhi ha, jo karzaai naa hovae, bhalae subhaa da hovae, bibaeki atae gyanvaan hovae - Do not given a daughter's hand to a clean shaven. Give her hand in a house where God's Sikhi exists, where the household is not in debt, is of a good nature, is disciplined and knowledgable.

That's why I think it didn't make it to the SGGS.

It bring me close one more step that Philosphy of Sikhism changed mid way. If what you have put here is correct then I think this is not part of Sikhism.

Sikhism don't advocate discrimination.

By saying or rather ordering not to marry your daughter to a non-Sikh is discrimination and I think we should all speak against it.

That's why I think it didn't make it to the SGGS.

It bring me close one more step that Philosphy of Sikhism changed mid way. If what you have put here is correct then I think this is not part of Sikhism.

Sikhism don't advocate discrimination.

By saying or rather ordering not to marry your daughter to a non-Sikh is discrimination and I think we should all speak against it.

Newage,

I also think rule-38 is absurd and conflict with sikhi ideology. The problem is self-proclaimed scholars wrote those rules. I dont think any amrit-dhari sikh follow rules as such that conflict with message of Gurbani.

Hey can a hindu girl or guy get married into a skih family?

Are the clean shaven still hindus or they are sikhs?

I have got a hindu friend whose girlfriend is a sikh girl, do you think it will be a problem when it comes to marriage? Will the parents object?

Muslim are benc.... they always like to convert others into their falsified faiths.....I will never be able, at first instance, to love a muslim girl, and secondly marriage is far beyond my imagination...haha.....benc...mousselman

Anyone...reply to my queries...

Sat sri kal

Rikhvindher Singh

hindus and muslims marrying in Sikh families cause confusion

why would a sikh marry a non sikh when a non sikhs lifestyle does not meet and deosnt have the understanding of being a Sikh

loving someone is not as important as loving for the True Guru and your brothers and sisters in the khalsa panth

it makes me feel sick, , the future child, going to a church, a mosque a hindu temple and a gurdwara :LOL:

jumbled up people!

Hey can a hindu girl or guy get married into a skih family?

Are the clean shaven still hindus or they are sikhs?

I have got a hindu friend whose girlfriend is a sikh girl, do you think it will be a problem when it comes to marriage? Will the parents object?

Hey, it is not an issue at all.

Marriage between Hindu and Sikh is seamless. If you look at Sikh famillies in India, 30% of them are mixed with Hindus.

In any case Religion should not come to picture during a marriage.

Marriage is a bond between Souls and not bodies.

Religion is man made.

When a child is born he/she is not born as Sikh, Hindu, Muslim or any other religion but he/she gets his religion from the family in which he is born.

So that means religion needs to be praticed by human in the family they belong. Two humans from different families will have different religion and that should not interfere with the marriage as it is between two human souls.

hindus and muslims marrying in Sikh families cause confusion

why would a sikh marry a non sikh when a non sikhs lifestyle does not meet and deosnt have the understanding of being a Sikh

loving someone is not as important as loving for the True Guru and your

brothers and sisters in the khalsa panth

it makes me feel sick, , the future child, going to a church, a mosque a hindu temple and a gurdwara

jumbled up people!

I'm not sure who's jumbled up here AmrikSingh Ji. Have you gone thru the four Laavaa in SGGS.

Let me Quote One:

Hari pahilaree laav...: In the first round of the marriage ceremony, the Lord

sets out His Instructions for performing the daily duties of married life. Take this

Baanee as the Brahmaa's Vedas. By uttering this Baanee, embrace the righteous

conduct and renounce sinful actions. Embrace the righteous conduct of

Dharma, contemplate the Divine Name; take this as the teaching of the Simritis.

Perform the Naam-Simran (meditation) as instructed by the Perfect True Guru, and all

your sins and misdeeds will be dispelled. By great good fortune, celestial Bliss is attained,

and the Divine Name seems sweet to the mind. Servant Nanak proclaims that, by this

first round of the marriage ceremony, the marriage ceremony has begun

You can go through the rest of the three Laavaa too but nowhere you will find that a Sikh cannot marry a non Sikh.

You need to make sure that you are abide by the Guru's whether or not your partner is Sikh.

If you believe there is one God (Ek-Onkar), which is a fundamental concept of a true Sikh, then interracial marriages arent an issue as we are all a part of him, he is everywhere and everthing, including us. To denounce a marriage based upon religion, race, or caste is to reject this concept, therefore, not being a Sikh.

deeper thinker

check da 51 hukams of guru gobind singh ji, it says you should only marry a sikh if you is sikh yahself

and guru amardass ji i think also said you must only marry a gurmukh and not a manmukh which also means you must marry a sikh, and why would the guru makes us born in a sikh family.........to marry a non sikh? :P

anyway if ju believe its ok then carry on yaar :D