"Harimandir not a museum"

Freed

I am posting these pictures to get the Sangat's opinions - I am not 'Sant Bashing' or attacking The GNNSJ or Karsewaks . I just want to know peoples opinions about Kar Sewa of Harimandir Sahib and other Gurdwaras. I was prompted by seeing the Kar Sewa of Harmandir Sahib Taran Taran which has recently been covered with gold plates.

Most posts about Kar Sewa degenerate into mud slinging - with this post I would like to hear the sangats opinions and constructive comments about what is the best way to perform Kar Sewa - what methods should be used ? What is the best way forward.

The Harimandir Sahib has always been a 'Symbol' of the Panth's Chardi Kala - every time it was attacked it was rebuilt 'bigger and better' - Maharaja Ranjit Singh's rebuilding left no trace of the Original - are we just following that model ? It has been argued that the Harimandir is not a museum - the Beauty does not come from the architecture or Gold but the 'beauty' shines from within - from Guru Granth Sahib Ji

Should we maintain the 'priceless heritage' at all costs - are we slaves to the heritage at the cost of Sikhi ? - A friend of mine argues that we are heading towards the UK situation - Where Many Cathedrals are tourist sights not spiritual places - The Church of England selling Heritage/ nostalgia not spirituality - What are your Thoughts ?

Do we maintain/restore/protect or rebuild and renew because "Nothing is permanent" ?

Please post your Comments - what is the way forward ?

These pictures show the 2 prevalent views ( from my perspective )

View One : The Harmandir is not a Museum - this is a quote from Michael Edwardes in 1969

edwardesquote2jo.png

* from Indian Temples and Palaces - Michael Edwardes - Hamlyn - 1969

View Two : 'Stop the Destruction and "bad taste"'

Some of the "worst excesses"

Akal Takht Ceilings painted in "FairGround Ride" colours

akaltakht18ej.jpg

The removal of the original Gold plates - Bhai Mohinder Singh GNNSJ

gnnsj2vq.png

*from The Global Indian, The Rise of Sikhs Abroad - Gurmukh Singh - Rupa - 2003

Incongruous additions are not a modern phenomenon - The Gothic Clock Tower built by the British.

babey1kf.jpg

My Intention is not to offend - Bhul Chuk Maaf

I am in two minds about this issue maybe we could cater for both the modern developed mass produced quick and easy gurdwaras of the future and near those sites have museums to display the heritage of the old skool stuff. Maybe make a tourist section and replica darbar sahib ?

I dont think the heritage should be destroyed or just locked away in some room until special days, because if the buildings are just buildings then days are just days !! especially with all these funny calendar changes

Jesus Calendar, Bikramjits Calendar, and the Nanakshahi one..

But then again I would say that Maharajs darbar isnt made for mass people to sit there and be spiritual the true spiritual house is the body, so the Gurdwaras are Maharajs darbar, where the devotees of maharaj can go to say whatsup and chill out for a while before going back to do their own thing with maharaj in their hearts if you get what I mean, so if it is Maharajs darbar then face it there is no king or Queen no Bush or Blair bigger and better then Maharaj, Sabh Rajan ka Maharaja. KING OF ALL KINGS. Even the devi devte bow down in awe infront of Satguru Ji and their Khalsa, so as Raje of the world maybe our Maharaj should look all nice with proper hard worked beautiful rare inricate designs and not tiles you can buy from uncles tile shop.

Also I think beauty is a perfect way to get into a spiritual vibe, because beauty comes from some craftmans pyaar from the sangat and sevadars pyaar and that becomes a part of the building a part of the gurdwara it makes it alive and somehow it allows you to feel tranquil and peaceful.

Cant find the words to express what I want to say but its nice..

• 3 months later...

WHY CANT WE DO ANYTHING ABOUT THE SGPC fu*!ing up our history our heritage.

trying to make everything modern!

BANNING SHASTAR TO BE PUT IN FRONT OF AGGS in darbar sahib!

painting ancient walls white...ruining the akal takht.

what are they SMOKING!

THE SGPC IS A BUNCH OF MODERNIZED BRITISH INFLUENCED (THE FACT THAT IN THEIR NAME IS A ENGLISH WORD COMITEE SAYS ENOUGH) RICH CORRUPTED PEOPLE, THAT ARE SIMPLY MAKING KALYUG WORST THAN ALREADY IS.

WHY CANT WE DO ANYTHING ABOUT THE SGPC fu*!ing up our history our heritage.

trying to make everything modern!

BANNING SHASTAR TO BE PUT IN FRONT OF AGGS in darbar sahib!

painting ancient walls white...ruining the akal takht.

what are they SMOKING!

THE SGPC IS A BUNCH OF MODERNIZED BRITISH INFLUENCED (THE FACT THAT IN THEIR NAME IS A ENGLISH WORD COMITEE SAYS ENOUGH) RICH CORRUPTED PEOPLE, THAT ARE SIMPLY MAKING KALYUG WORST THAN ALREADY IS.

And the list goes on and on and on...

Maybe we should make a post about this...

Should we maintain the 'priceless heritage' at all costs - are we slaves to the heritage at the cost of Sikhi ?

I believe we should maintain heritage at all costs , its our hitory our identity . We should consult top historians / restoratioists when undertaking any work in order to preserve its authenticity, plan work to its finest details even though it may take years to do.

I also believe if planned correctly sri harmandir sahib being a tourist attraction as well as a place of worship is not a bad thing, because more people come to visist sri harmandir sahib and ask questions / have guides explaining the history of Sri Harmandir Sahib , people would become more aware of sikhism , knowldege would grow amongst the young and old , regardless of their caste / colour , hopefully have such an impact that they become spirtually enlightened.

Not long ago I went to Anand pur sahib , and was shocked that the gurdwarar was painted white i.e. the marble was painted white

We need to establish who makes these kind of decisions , also at Sri Harmandir Sahib my family wanted a room so we could stay the night , rather than welcoming us and tellling us the necessary details the seva dars wanted to see our British Passports / Credit card details to check whether we were really from the UK , so that we could get a room . This

shocked me and made me think , what about the sangat who aren;t as lucky as us with credit cards British Passports , how would they get a room ? wheres the equality ? wheres the pyar ?