Ikongkar or Ikomkar???

I saw loads of sikhs reciting maha mantar/bij mantar as Ikomkar whereas correct prounounciation is -Ikongkar??

Please post your views...why there is variation in these maha mantar?..especially when the whole creation came about from bij mantar.

Bij mantar sab ko gian ||

and there are other references given about in gurbani - where whole creation came about from resoance/dhuni of ikongkar.

Please discuss :D

it could be the nazal n to K is what creates a slight g sound making it oangkar, however I dont think the G should be pronounced so it shouldnt be read out Ik OanGkar, however there is a slight G when you try to go from nazel n to K, try it !! you will notice it sounds link ungk.. not unk unless you take a break between the n and the K, but that wouldnt be correct when reading the beej mantar.

It is definatly a oan and not O am. or Aum I draw this conclusion from looking at both dakhni Oankar in which the Onkar only has a different ending either i or u I think that is more to do with poetic reasons.

And also from the Bhavan Akhri, where ever other letter is similar to how modern punjabi pronounces them except Ora which is written Oan.

Also another intresting point to note is that in other recent topics there has been questioning of the purpose or role of hindu dieties in sikhi context, well according to Dakhni Oankar, From Oankar came bhrama the creator.. !! OOOh intresting.

I find hari post to be interesting.

From a simliar type topic he posted earlier:

This is about transliteration and not wether Omkar means the same as Oankar.They are both different transliterations of the same Divine Name.

The word Omkar/Oankar existed well befroe Satguru Nanak Nirankar manifested on this plane.

In Devnagari script (used for Hindi and Sanskrit) you have a nasal sound called anusvara or chandrabindu which is transliterated as "m".This is what appears at the end of Om ---> A-U-M.When you couple Om with kaar, you pronounce the "m" as a nasal "n".Hence you get Oankar.

Omkar is not pronounced "Omkar" but Oankar.

Om appears in Gurbani as ura-aira-tippee, also the Akshar Onam which appears in Dakhni Oankar is supposed to be synonymous with Om/Oan.

Om is known as Mool Mantra, as is Ek Oankar.

Hari Om Shanti Shanti Shanti...

That means bhrama sian is a sikh..it also means there is no such thing as hindu mat but sanatan dharma (enternal) :P ..jokes.. who cares about labels man at end of the day...:LOL::LOL:

That means bhrama sian is a sikh
......yes, me, remember.......... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

dhan dhan sri narayana...........3demigods1wh.th.jpg

Most Nirmalay generally pronounce it as Om, the reason is the letter itself is 'O' with kaar and it is half matra combined. 'O' as such is the Vedic sound for Om. Read Faridkot Tika (which has taken Pandit Tara Singh Narotam's position) on why Guru ji has stated 'Ik Om(ng)kar'...very interesting!