Sardars & Misaldaars - Warriors & Heroes

Freed

GurFateh !

I have been asked to re-post a picture of Sardar Jassa Singh Ramgarhia that I posted - it was lost when the servers were changed.

I am re posting it with some other pictures of Sardars and Misaldaars - hopefully the pictures will inspire some of the younger members to read about them - Hari Ram Gupta's History of the Sikhs -is a good starting point .

( hope that didn't sound too "Geography teacher trying to 'get down' with the kids" !!!)

Sardar Jassa Singh Ramgarhia - as you may guess from my avatar, a favourite of mine - here seated on the left with his sons Jodh Singh and Bir Singh - a Simple but very engaging portrait - by the hand of Purkhu of Kangra c.1780, in the National Museum Collection,New Delhi.

* Picture from Piety and Splendour- Sikh Heritage in Art - B N Goswamy - Nat Mus 2000

jassa1ta.jpg

The 'coronation Slab' from The Muhgal Takht-e-Taus or peacock throne brought from The Red Fort Delhi by Jassa Singh Ramgarhia - when the Sardars walked unchallenged into the Mughal Court - now in the Ramgarhia Bunga Amritsar

mughaltakhtetausramgarhiabunga.jpg

Sardar Jassa Singh Ahluwalia - Sultan-ul-Kaum - Founder of the Doaba Kingdom of Kapurthala.

An European style Oil

jassasinghahluwalia9hr.jpg

The Current Maharaja of Kapurthala - Brigadier Sukhjit Singh with the 'Tikka Sahib' Shatrujit Singh (on right) - Descendants of Jassa Singh Ahluwalia

*pic from The Maharaja & the Princely states of India - Sharada Dwivedi -Roli - 1999

mkap8on.jpg

Ala Singh - founder of the Patiala dynasty - portrait from the Himachal state Museum painted c.1880

*from Goswamy 2000

ala8by.jpg

The current Maharaja of Patiala - Captain Amrinder Singh , in their younger (and less Lardy !! ) days

*from Khalsa Panth - Khushwant Singh Raghu Rai - 1984

amrinder2gq.jpg

Another portrait of Jassa Singh Ramgarhia - from the Lahore Museum - he is shown on the left with Amar Singh Phulkian (of Patiala) - painted c.1845 - it is interesting that they are painted together as they had their fair share of 'skirmishes'.

*from Pahari Paintings & Sikh Portraits in the Lahore Museum - F S Aijazuddin - Sotheby Parke Bernet - 1977

jasa0ge.jpg

Sardar Jai Singh Kanhaiya - a detail of a portrait by Nainsukh of Guler c.1775 - Jai Singh was Sardar of the Kanhaiya Misal

*from Goswamy 2000

kanhai4pn.jpg

Sardar Tara Singh Gheba - Sardar of the Dallewalia Misal - a portrait by Purkhu of Kangra c.1775

*from Goswamy 2000

tara1vp.jpg

Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa - a portrait from the Lahore Museum c.1840 - showing 'Nalwa Sardar' with a mala in his hand

*from Aijazuddin 1977

nalwa7vo.jpg

A portrait of Hari Singh Nalwa from the Ram Bagh Museum Amritsar

*from Goswamy 2000

nalwa21uu.jpg

Akali Phoola Singh - part of the above portraits showing heroes from the Darbar of M. Ranjit Singh

phoola7pd.jpg

Sardar Sham Singh Attariwala - loyal general of M Ranjit Singh - portrait c.1845

*from Aijazuddin 1977

sham8ol.jpg

Hope you enjoyed those pictures - HAPPY VAISAKHI TO ALL !!!

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh !!!!

Ranjit Singh 'Freed'

I don’t know the history of that depiction in order to be sure of it’s degree of accuracy of Akali Jee. I do have doubts about that depiction’s accuracy though, as you can see it shows jewelry adorned all over his arms and dumala instead of it being adorned by weapons of puraatan akali nihangs. Just because a painting is old does not necessarily mean it is 100% accurate.

U R correct S-47 ji. However, the paintings as above & collection thereof made by Freed is marvelous & much appreciable. I have read in Tawarikh Guru Khalsa by Giani Gian Singhji that a prominent artist prepared a painting of Sahibe Kamaal Sahib Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, by sitting in their feet, as per directions of Bahadur Shah Zafar, while visit of Honourable Guruji to Delhi after victory of BS Zafar. But I have not read about whereabouts or existence of the portrait. Every efforts should be made by our top institutions like SGPC/Sant Samaaj, Researchers, Gursikhs, to find out or trace. May be possible, it is in some of museums or heritage institutions in England etc.

Respected S.VijaydeepSinghJi, Waheguruji Ka Khalsa, Waheguruji Ki Fateh. Much thanks to point out my mistake, for which I regret deeply. You are exactly right. After Aurangzeb,s death, Prince Muazzam taken over the reign in 1707 with highly Kirpa of Kalgidhar Patshah and named as Bahadur Shah or Shah Alam. It was the last Mughul Emperor Bahadur Shah-II, who was named Bahadur Shah Zafar who taken over as emperor in 1838. I,m highly obliged to you, my dear brother.

• 2 months later...