Gurbani Santhiya

gurfatehji,

There are so many different schools of gurbani santhiya, some say pronouce everything exactly how it is written, ie. sabad not shabad, or even pronouce the sihars at the end of words, ie. har-i.

Let's get some discussion as why to pronouce it a certain way.

Guest Javanmard

From my own experience I tend to believe that there is practically no place left from where high standard understanding of gurbani can be gained from. Most places now focuss on the memorisation and "correct" pronounciation of gurbani but I still have to see a place that offers the complete and necessary package that entails:

a. learning the languages and grammar of gurbani and those necessary for an understanding of its terminology: sadhu bhasha, braj bhasha, sanskrit, farsi, arabic

b. methology of textual study: rhetorics, exegesis and text analysis

c. thorough study of Indian history and culture

d. thorough study of the literature of the times of the Gurus

e. thorough study of the religions and philosophies that existed in the times of the Gurus

f. thorough study of Bhai Gurdas and Bhai Nand Lal

Some Nirmala and Sevapanthi institutions offer some of this but not all in one package how it should be. Sad but true. Most people content themselves with learning meanings and stories by heart without exploring gurbani like it deserves to be.

From my own experience I tend to believe that there is practically no place left from where high standard understanding of gurbani can be gained from. Most places now focuss on the memorisation and "correct" pronounciation of gurbani but I still have to see a place that offers the complete and necessary package that entails:

a. learning the languages and grammar of gurbani and those necessary for an understanding of its terminology: sadhu bhasha, braj bhasha, sanskrit, farsi, arabic

b. methology of textual study: rhetorics, exegesis and text analysis

c. thorough study of Indian history and culture

d. thorough study of the literature of the times of the Gurus

e. thorough study of the religions and philosophies that existed in the times of the Gurus

f. thorough study of Bhai Gurdas and Bhai Nand Lal

Some Nirmala and Sevapanthi institutions offer some of this but not all in one package how it should be. Sad but true. Most people content themselves with learning meanings and stories by heart without exploring gurbani like it deserves to be.

Sikh missionary college offers all of this in one package except for part 'e'. I think they could and should work on that a little more.

Sikh missionary college offers all of this in one package except for part 'e'. I think they could and should work on that a little more.

really? do you know any site which offers Circuliam of Sikh Missionary College?

Guest Javanmard

I have checked their website and for having dealt with individuals who have studied there I have to say that their training doesn't come anywhere near what is being listed in my previous post. They have very poor knowldge of grammar and grammatical analysis let alone the rest. They are taught ideology instead of serious religious studies. Very dissapointing. A two year correspondance course to train "preachers" really is far from being enough. It takes at least a good 4-5 years to fully master the languages I listed let alone learn all the rest.

One doesn't become a Sant Gurbachan Singh Bhindranvale or a Sant Singh Maskin in just two years of training. These great scholars spent at least 10 years studying before they even started giving katha and write.I have to totally agree with the gianis from Dam Dami Taksal who spoke in that video about these new Sikhi colleges and their pracharaks. Sikh Missionary College also claims that Sants and Mahapurushs claim to be Gurus which is pure nindiya.