Who wants to become a rAgee?

I didnt know that ragees are not pleasing to Akal. However a ragi is one who is able to produce raags on an instrument, hopefully I say in the measure of raags that are used in the Guru Granth Sahib. Raag iskirtan terms can also mean mood. to quote Professeor Surinder Singh of Akal Academy.

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!

Dear all and Chatanga Jee!

Thanks for your post.

Quote "I didnt know that ragees are not pleasing to Akal."

Please listen what Gurdev is singing about a RAgee.

"vaad parhai raagee jag bheejai. tarai gun bikhi-aa janam mareejai." SGGS Ang 905-7, Raamkalee, Guru Nanak Dev Jee

RAgee reads vaad (spoken by someone). A world is pleased. In the faculty of three Gunas he gets birth and dies.

Quote "However a ragi is one who is able to produce raags on an instrument"

A RAgee's occupation is just like any other worldly engagement.

Quote "hopefully I say in the measure of raags that are used in the Guru Granth Sahib"

This wisdom is surely not for RAgees without the true Gur (Technique) of Simran.

Quote "Raag iskirtan terms can also mean mood."

I am not sure if the Gurus, who became neutral recognizing ONE Truth in all, are singing in different moods like a RAgee.

Balbir Singh

I think this idea of Bairagee and RAgee can be split into two categories; ingoing and outgoing.

A person can be a mentally outward moving RAgee

mentally outward moving Bairagee

mentally inward moving RAgee

mentally inward moving Bairagee

So a seeker would progress ideally in that order as listed above. To answer the question I would say that Bairaag is cultivated easier in an environment with less outward distractions (i.e. a peaceful natural environment and simple society) So the second stage of outward moving bairaag would be easier when an individual has less to be enamoured or attached to in the first place. This is not true in all cases. Also to move to the second stage a person has to be somewhat disillusioned with the world and must perceive that a solution to the empty nature of man cannot be garnered from the outside. You say that Sikhs are trained to becoming RAgees, this could be because people have too many possessions and attachments and live over complicated lives which makes it difficult to take a step on the path of bairaag.

Dear all and Mekhane'ch Jannat Jee!

Thanks for your post and views.

An inner journey takes place at the cost of attachment with the outer world.

Quote "a solution to the empty nature of man cannot be garnered from the outside."

Have I understood it correctly? People do not need a Guru or any guidance as both are outside.

Quote "You say that Sikhs are trained to becoming RAgees, this could be because people have too many possessions and attachments and live over complicated lives which makes it difficult to take a step on the path of bairaag."

I feel bairaag is the result of the first experience of Truth that one receives with God's grace through the Guru. One feels like singing when activities begin, originating from that silence. This is Keertan.

Balbir Singh

• 4 months later...

Ragee is not the opposite of bairagee. You are probably confused because the English language has only 26 alphabets while Gurmukhi has 35 alphabets. Thus when you read in English without the "siari" biari, and other vowels the meaning will very much likely be incorrect. This only shows to prove that Balbir Singh Jee you can shake hands with me and we both can attend grammar class on Sri Guru Granth Sahib. Of course, I'm assuming that you would be interested.

Bairaag is like a deep longing. For example, a lover wants their beloved, but are not united with them, so feels this deep longing. Bairaag in Sikhi is used to refer to God and not worldly things. It helps the individual separate from worldly things because their allurement is reduced in comparison to the object of one's bairaag, the Guru. also, it provides powerful motivation in and of itself due to it's very nature.

Dear all!

'Bairaag' is the Gurmukhee word for 'Viraag' from Sanskrit. One meaning of 'raag' is the melody. That is why a 'raagee' is one who sings in 'raag'.

Another meaning of 'raag' is envy. That is why a 'raagee' is one who is filled with envy.

'Viraag' is a combination of two words, 'vi' and 'raag'. 'Vi' denotes the opposite of that when attached before a word. For example 'kree' means buying and 'vikree' means selling. 'Vi' also denotes the absence of that when attached before a noun or adjective. For example 'dhava' means the husband or the master and 'vidhava' means without the husband.

'Raag' is one of the five vicious practices of mind. 'Raagee' is one who is engaged with it. 'Bairaag' is getting rid of envy.

The Gurus are 'Bairaagees' and always suggest others to become 'bairaagee', not a 'raagee'. This is the reason we find so many Vaaks from the Gurus sounding critiques against 'raggee'.

Balbir Singh

Could you please provide evidence that Raag means envy.

Satguru's critism is of those who think they can reach Vaheguru through music alone, in this case, it would be ego created by the Raagees belief in his own skill.

The same goes for those who believe they can reach Vaheguru through any other medium i.e. dancing, fighting, charity, meditation, Yoga etc..

Satguru isn't specifically attacking all these practices, they are attacking the practice of all things without the holy recital of the holy name and those practices where the object of desire and goal is not Vaheguru's charan.

Kirtan as per Satguru's hukum and a raagee who devotes his life to singing Vaheguru's praises and in doing so encourages sangat to do the same, are not critisised.

In Sanskrit, Raag means colour/rang - reflection - expression - mood.... it is a high level artisitic tool to help us understand and interpret gurbani in teh context it was orginally written and sung in, hence it's importance in Gurbani.

We need to be careful not to make blanket interpretations and statements.

Dear all and Shaheediyan Jee!

Quote "In Sanskrit, Raag means colour/rang - reflection - expression - mood...."

Please consult the same dictionary further for the meanings of 'raag' or Indian literature. I hope you know Indian languages. Ask any Indian what is raag or dvaysha. Good luck.

Satsriakal.

Balbir Singh